Run First

It was between the SDP and the Liberals, not Labour.

I would presume that because Labour didn't go as far left that Jenkins and his people didn't defect to form the SPD.

When I saw that they didn't win any seats then I assumed. Them not forming an alliance with the Liberals seems to be the reason now

I planned for the SDP to reintegrate into Labor in 83, but I forgot before I posted. Sorry everybody

Chapter One Hundred and Twenty Five
"Welcome to the first Democratic primary debate. We will now deliver the opening statements from the candidates-Senator Dellum will speak first."

"Yeah, you know, this country's got a lot of injustices today, but none as big as me having to run against another Bircher!"

"Commie supercapitalist."

"Congressman! Senator Metzenbaum, your-"

"No, non, nyet, nein!"

"Very well, Governor Finch?"

"Back in Mississippi, you know I was pretty good, people liked me. Vote for me, you know stuff will be pretty good too."

"Governor Ariyoshi?"

"Back in Hawaii, I cut spending you know-here, there, maybe a lot. Point is, the only thing that matters is I'm one of us."

"Welcome to the first Democratic primary debate. We will now deliver the opening statements from the candidates-Senator Dellum will speak first."

"Yeah, you know, this country's got a lot of injustices today, but none as big as me having to run against another Bircher!"

"Commie supercapitalist."

"Congressman! Senator Metzenbaum, your-"

"No, non, nyet, nein!"

"Very well, Governor Finch?"

"Back in Mississippi, you know I was pretty good, people liked me. Vote for me, you know stuff will be pretty good too."

"Governor Ariyoshi?"

"Back in Hawaii, I cut spending you know-here, there, maybe a lot. Point is, the only thing that matters is I'm one of us."
... Groovy.
Love it.

Chapter One Hundred and Twenty Six
"Congressman McDonald, you've been known for your opposition to internationalist policies adopted by the three Administrations in place. However, you voted in favor of military intervention in Nicaragua. Can you explain why you did so?"

"Well, while I am critical of internationalist ideology in general, I do maintain that the US does have a role in the affairs of this hemisphere in line with the Monroe Doctrine and other such policies. So, yes, I did support this military action, and I believe that we were right in carrying it out."

"Thank you. Governor Finch, you've made only one public statement about the war, expressing your support for the troops. You've made no specific statements about your foreign policy positions, and this has caused some concern about voters. Can you make clear what type of role you'd take as President in the world?"

"I thought I was doing O.K., I... well, in all seriousness, yes, i do believe that we need to remain committed to our allies in Europe and elsewhere. But I do believe that we need to encourage dialogue with other nations, and we need to be a lot more cautious with how we use our armed forces."

Chapter One Hundred and Twenty Seven
"Ron Dellums has served the people of California with integrity and conviction, and he will serve the American people in the White House."

-Ernest Hollings (1983)

"Gallup has put Governor Finch ahead in Iowa, but Dellums' supporters have pulled in from all over the country to campaign for their candidate, raising awareness and contributions."

-Peter Jennings (1983)