Restarted With A Mouse: A Pop Culture Timeline

Finally, a Big Hit
cinderella-3.jpg

Distributed by RKO Radio Pictures on March 4, 1950

Cinderella would end up becoming Walt's biggest hit since the war, earning over $180 million dollars worldwide and spectacular reviews from critics.

Universal's Aladdin and Fox's The Little Prince

One princess vs. two princes. If the princess wasn't animated by the animation industry's top dog, pun not even considered, I'd say there's strength in numbers. But there's also strength in experience, so that's something.

New Royals
The Little Prince (dir. Orson Welles)
Little Nigerian Prince.png

Distributed by 20th Century Fox on July 7, 1950

Cast: Audrey Hepburn, Gene Kelly, Clifton Webb, Billy Chapin

Aladdin & His Magic Lamp (dir. by Alex Lovy)
Pazam.jpg

Distributed by Universal Pictures on July 7, 1950 (Popeye model sheet used for visual purposes)

Cast: Bud Abbott, Lou Costello, Mel Blanc, Hans Conried

The battle between Universal's "Aladdin" and Fox's "Little Prince" was one of the closest and most anticipated matchups in film history. In the end, TLP would get slightly more praise from critics, while Aladdin made more money.

NEWS REPORTS

"FFC's television restrictions blocked by Supreme Court" - The Washington Post

"Disney sets 'Peter Rabbit' for Fall 1951 release" - Time

"Disney likely to try more live action films as 'Treasure Island' proves to be a success" - The Hollywood Reporter

Universal's take on Aladdin and Fox's distribution of The Little Prince are so neck-and-neck with each other to this day. However, I would consider Universal the winner by a nostril, given Paul Terry's way of making animation "as cheaply as possible". They're both great films of 1950s animation history, though.

I wonder what blocking the FCC's restrictions would mean for television as a whole, though.

Universal's take on Aladdin and Fox's distribution of The Little Prince are so neck-and-neck with each other to this day. However, I would consider Universal the winner by a nostril,
Strong disagree. I can't imagine anything made "as cheaply as possible" could stand up against a project by Orson Welles; him going into animation is very interesting and I wonder what kinda reputation he would earn in that part of the industry. Would he demand things like final cut? This is a fascinating butterfly imo.

This is something that I plan to do for the end of every decade where I recap what the major film studios did in the past decade and give a brief preview of what they are putting out in the next decade. It will also include what sports teams have won championships as we move further along this timeline, but for now I'm focusing on the movie side of things.
Ok.
The Walt Disney Company: The 40's started out rough for Disney as the war practically crippled the success of Pinocchio and Fantasia. They were however able to keep things steady with anthology movies and a few minor hits like Sleepy Hollow. The company is hopeful that their next movie "Cinderella" could be next Snow White and did announce that work had finally started on the long awaited "Peter Rabbit" movie.
Well, the 50s are coming, which means that DIsneyland is approaching.

I really think they should buy RKO Radio Pictures ITTL.
Fleischer Studios/Paramount Pictures: With the dip in Disney's profits came the rise of Fleischer Studios. The company made the decision to work on "The Friendly Ghost" before "Mr. Bug" for 1941. This would end of being the right decision as even with the unfortunate timing of TFG's release, it would make more money than Mr. Bug did IOTL. Some people have even discussed the possibility of Fleischer getting ahead Disney, considering Paramount's deal with DC and their own library of classic characters like Popeye and Betty Boop.
Maybe they should buy Harvey Comics and DC Comics outright.
Warner Brothers: "Alice in Wonderland" was a huge hit for WB and the Loony Tunes have continued to entertain audiences all over the world. Let's see if they can maintain that level of success for the 1950's
Nice.
Universal Pictures: Universal was probably expecting "Brer Rabbit" to do to them what Snow White and Alice did to Disney and Warner Bros. All they got instead were angry minority groups, mediocre reviews and underperforming box office returns. The studio now hopes that "Aladdin" with Abbott and Costello can help repair the damage costed by it.
Ouch, they might need Woody to fix things.........
20th Century Fox: Fox decided to enter the animation scene with a bang by first buying out "Mighty Mouse" company Terrytoons, then out bidding both Paramount and Universal to produce an adaption of "The Little Prince". Fox has spent a lot of money to get their animation division started, the question now is, can they make their money back?
Nice.

Strong disagree. I can't imagine anything made "as cheaply as possible" could stand up against a project by Orson Welles; him going into animation is very interesting and I wonder what kinda reputation he would earn in that part of the industry. Would he demand things like final cut? This is a fascinating butterfly imo.
I think I should explain. I gave Universal my vote after much discussion among myself. I think both dueling movies are very, very good, and it was quite hard picking a favorite to the bitter end.

Actually, the Orson Welles project was distributed by the new owners of Terrytoons ITTL. And that means it's Fox who has the studio with the "as cheaply as possible" philosophy on their hands, not Universal. In other words, you probably thought the Walter Lantz-produced film was of lesser quality on an assumption.

If you say it couldn't stand up against an Orson Welles production, keep in mind that the aforementioned "not standing up" would be a case of internal competition, rather than external competition. Much worse on Fox's end in the long run if that were the case.

I'm sorry, but I had to clarify myself. I agree with Orson Welles going into animation being a great butterfly as well, so don't think I hate your response.

Who exactly is the main antagonist of the 1947 animated Batman film? The Joker is the most popular of Batman's Golden Age era nemesis.

Last edited:
Is This the End for Disney & RKO?
Who exactly is the main antagonist of the 1947 animated Batman film?
The Joker.

Petey the Average Rabbit.jpg

Distributed by RKO Radio Pictures on September 14, 1951
Cast: Jerry Mathers, Janet Waldo, Lucille Bliss, June Foray

Peter Rabbit would become another success for the studio, earning 7 million dollars and getting wide spread acclaim from critics.

NEWS REPORTS
"RUMOR: Walt Disney planning on opening self distribution company after RKO deal ends in 1954" - The Los Angeles Examiner

"Paramount's 'Wonder Woman' to be released next Summer" - Variety

Well, at least Disney's deal with RKO has less chronicled bumps in the road in this timeline.

Also, on Paramount's side, what is the short film part of Fleischer like as of 1951? Do we see more of Casper? Additional DC heroes getting the animation treatment? Another King Features adaptation? A name change?

Considering how Fawcett's Captain Marvel was outselling Superman in this era, would Fawcett make a deal with some studio to get into animation?

Now Where Did I Leave My Pixie Dust?
Also, on Paramount's side, what is the short film part of Fleischer like as of 1951? Do we see more of Casper? Additional DC heroes getting the animation treatment? Another King Features adaptation? A name change?
Mainly a lot of Casper and Popeye.
Considering how Fawcett's Captain Marvel was outselling Superman in this era, would Fawcett make a deal with some studio to get into animation?
Only time will tell

Wander Woman.jpg

Distributed by Paramount Pictures on July 4, 1952

Cast: Kathrine Hepburn, James Stewart, Rita Heyworth, Betty Grable

The movie was well received from critics and audiences, with it grossing over 4 million dollars domestically.

NEWS REPORT

"Disney confirms 'Peter Pan' will be company's final movie with RKO" - Variety

Mainly a lot of Casper and Popeye.
That makes sense.
View attachment 838134
Distributed by Paramount Pictures on July 4, 1952

Cast: Kathrine Hepburn, James Stewart, Rita Heyworth, Betty Grable

The movie was well received from critics and audiences, with it grossing over 4 million dollars domestically.

NEWS REPORT

"Disney confirms 'Peter Pan' will be company's final movie with RKO" - Variety
Katherine Hepburn as Wonder Woman just feels like something that should have happened at some point.

Meanwhile, Peter Pan being the swansong of the RKO era does send it off on a high note.

Peter Pan & a Look Towards the Future
Fucktons of watermarks.jpg

Distributed by RKO Radio Pictures on February 5, 1953

This is another "Film remains exactly the same" post, but some interesting developments are being reported on.

NEWS REPORTS

"Disney announces 'Lady and the Tramp' and 'Don Quixote' as the first self-distributed films" - The Hollywood Reporter

"Fox to introduce new CinemaScope technology with 'The Robe'" - Variety

"Fleischer Studios announces their first live action film '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea'" - Time

We’re getting a Disney Don Quixote ITTL? With the loss of Alice, Melody Time, Bongo, and Wind In The Willows, this and Peter Rabbit might spruce things up for the studio again.

We’re getting a Disney Don Quixote ITTL? With the loss of Alice, Melody Time, Bongo, and Wind In The Willows, this and Peter Rabbit might spruce things up for the studio again.
I'd argue the only legit loss on the Disney animation side is Alice in Wonderland. Melody Time is hit-or-miss, with the best parts being Pecos Bill, Johnny Appleseed, and Blame It on the Samba. Three shorts that could just as easily be released as their own projects without being tied to a feature film. And let's face it, Bongo and Wind in the Willows were the B-pictures to Mickey and the Beanstalk & The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Especially Bongo.

So, yeah. Leaving Peter Pan the same and actually making a Don Quixote feature would already be an improvement over the OTL post-war efforts.
NEWS REPORTS

"Disney announces 'Lady and the Tramp' and 'Don Quixote' as the first self-distributed films" - The Hollywood Reporter

"Fleischer Studios announces their first live action film '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea'" - Time
CinemaScope is still a thing? Great! And honestly, having 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea become the first live-action Fleischer movie actually makes sense when you consider that Max Fleischer's son directed the movie. That's right, Disney hired the son of one of his animation rivals to direct one of his finest live-action adventures IOTL.

Make of that what you will.

View attachment 838176
Distributed by RKO Radio Pictures on February 5, 1953

This is another "Film remains exactly the same" post, but some interesting developments are being reported on.

NEWS REPORTS

Exactly what happens to the voice actor for Peter pan in this universe? I don't remember his name but apparently shit got realbad for him after this was released.