Restarted With A Mouse: A Pop Culture Timeline

View attachment 836801
Distributed by RKO Radio Pictures on October 23, 1941

Made to recoup the costs of Pinocchio and Fantasia, Dumbo would end up becoming Disney's most successful film of the 1940's and would be praised by critics as an endearing classic.

The Friendly Ghost (dir. Dave Fleischer)
View attachment 836797
Distributed by Paramount on December 1, 1941

The Friendly Ghost was praised upon release as being a fun movie to escape from the responsibilities of the real world. Sadly only about a week after the film's initial release, the events of the real world would become too much to escape from.

NEWS REPORTS

View attachment 836803

"Disney says 'Bambi' production is still going full steam ahead despite war vote" - The New York Times

"'Superman' and 'Bug' movies to be made by Paramount after war subsides" - United Press

"Fox to put animation studio plans 'on hold' for the foreseeable future" - The Washington Post

"Tex Avery rumored to be making 'Alice in Wonderland' animated film" - The Hollywood Reporter
I actually think Dumbo got the better deal out of the 1941 year-in-review. The flying elephant got a full month to enjoy pre-war life, while Casper only had six days. It would be a miracle if the Friendly Ghost actually got shorts after the war.

As for the news reports, I wonder how you're gonna change Bambi in this timeline. Aside from that, delaying Mr. Bug Goes to Town for at least four years has to be rough on the studio, but the Superman movie might be a greater test of endurance for Paramount.

I do wonder what that means for the Terrytoons studio, including their staff and shorts. But if Tex Avery DID adapt Alice in Wonderland, I'd gladly throw out the Disney version for an even stranger picture at MGM.

So we could see Alice in Wonderland (the Disney version anyway) butterflied away. And a Superman film released on the 10th anniversary of his debut (1948) could be a game changer.

Rabbits of War
p_bambi_19754_990e0e5a.jpeg

Distributed by RKO Radio Pictures on August 21, 1942
Bambi would become a financial success but received a mixed response when it was first release. While some critics praised it for the animation and being such a wholesome feature for the time, others did not appreciate the tonal shifts and lack of fantasy elements compared to the studios previous work.

NEWS REPORTS
"Terrytoons suffers after animators leave for war" - Time

"Insiders say 'Superman' is in active development, could be out as early as 1944" - The Miami Herald

"Beatrix Potter sells 'Peter Rabbit' film rights to Disney" - The Los Angeles Times

"Warner Bros. confirms plans for Tex's 'Alice in Wonderland' to be released next year" - The Hollywood Reporter

View attachment 836920
Distributed by RKO Radio Pictures on August 21, 1942
Bambi would become a financial success but received a mixed response when it was first release. While some critics praised it for the animation and being such a wholesome feature for the time, others did not appreciate the tonal shifts and lack of fantasy elements compared to the studios previous work.

NEWS REPORTS
"Terrytoons suffers after animators leave for war" - Time

"Insiders say 'Superman' is in active development, could be out as early as 1944" - The Miami Herald

"Beatrix Potter sells 'Peter Rabbit' film rights to Disney" - The Los Angeles Times

"Warner Bros. confirms plans for Tex's 'Alice in Wonderland' to be released next year" - The Hollywood Reporter
Yeah, I'm not surprised that people wouldn't appreciate the tonal shift of Bambi during the warfront. We all know which scene they were gawking at.

My guess is that Terrytoons becomes even less known ITTL due to this.

I'm really glad that the Superman animated movie happens sooner.

Honestly, Peter Rabbit is that one story that feels like a Disney franchise in the making, yet it isn't.

If WB still has Tex Avery on their payroll by 1943, does this mean the likes of Droopy and Screwy Squirrel are Looney Tunes ITTL?

Alice in the Wacky World of Tex Avery
If WB still has Tex Avery on their payroll by 1943, does this mean the likes of Droopy and Screwy Squirrel are Looney Tunes ITTL?
Yes, but like with Flip the Frog and Disney, they become some of the lesser known Looney Tunes. Also "Saludos Amigos" does still exist ITTL, it just has no changes in terms of plot or reception.

Alice in Wonderland (dir. Tex Avery)
20hkcanhhce81.jpg

Distributed by Warner Bros. on June 5, 1943

Cast: Shirley Temple, Mel Blanc, Bea Benaderet, Danny Webb, Pinto Colvig, Billy Bletcher, Walter Catlett

The plot is kind of a mixture of the Disney movie and the original drafts of the planed 1939 version. I guess the best way to describe it is that it is an animated version of the 2010 film from OTL. While critics were mixed on the darker tone, the movie would be one of the most financially successful films during to be released during WWII, making over 7 million dollars at the box office.

Yes, but like with Flip the Frog and Disney, they become some of the lesser known Looney Tunes. Also "Saludos Amigos" does still exist ITTL, it just has no changes in terms of plot or reception.

View attachment 837022

Cast: Shirley Temple, Mel Blanc, Bea Benaderet, Danny Webb, Pinto Colvig, Billy Bletcher, Walter Catlett

The plot is kind of a mixture of the Disney movie and the original drafts of the planed 1939 version. I guess the best way to describe it is that it is an animated version of the 2010 film from OTL. While critics were mixed on the darker tone, the movie would be one of the most financially successful films during to be released during WWII, making over 7 million dollars at the box office.
Well, at least Droopy has a chance of breaking past the B-tier ceiling like Taz and Marvin did. And I'm glad Saludos Amigos doesn't change.

As for this movie right here, as long as the Mad Hatter and March Hare use the 1951 version of the plotline, I'm good. That unbirthday scene just sounds like one of Disney's better attempts at capturing the spirit of a Looney Tune.

View attachment 837022

Cool!

It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's...
Soup Mon.jpg

Distributed by Paramount on April 14, 1944

Cast: Bud Collyer, Jack Mercer, Joan Alexander, Jackson Beck

Superman would end up striking a cord with the public. It would become one of the most popular animated films of WWII, earning 6.5 million dollars at the box office.

NEWS REPORT

"Paramount announces 'Mr. Bug' to be released in Summer 1945" - The Hollywood Reporter

View attachment 837135

Superman would end up striking a cord with the public. It would become one of the most popular animated films of WWII, earning 6.5 million dollars at the box office.

NEWS REPORT

"Paramount announces 'Mr. Bug' to be released in Summer 1945" - The Hollywood Reporter
I would say this is a victory for the entire animation scene. Not only does Disney have most of its animated features intact, but Fantasia gets closer to Walt's vision of a never-ending feature, Fleischer Studios has four animated films under their belt, and even WB is getting into the film arms race. And Ub Iwerks & Tex Avery stick to the Disney studio and Termite Terrace, thus giving Flip the Frog a better legacy, while Tex's original characters are ACTUAL Looney Tunes stars.

Basically, the pros outweigh the cons so far.

View attachment 837135

NEWS REPORT

So it's here!

Great!

I would say this is a victory for the entire animation scene. Not only does Disney have most of its animated features intact, but Fantasia gets closer to Walt's vision of a never-ending feature, Fleischer Studios has four animated films under their belt, and even WB is getting into the film arms race.
With so much competition on the animation scene, including films that aren’t stereotypically cartoony, I wonder what that would do to the Animation Age Ghetto (the notion that cartoons are only for kids)…..
And Ub Iwerks & Tex Avery stick to the Disney studio and Termite Terrace, thus giving Flip the Frog a better legacy, while Tex's original characters are ACTUAL Looney Tunes stars.
Even if Droopy, Screwy Squirrel, and The Big Bad Wolf are relegated to one-shots, I’d imagine they’d carry the same fame and prestige as other one shots like The Dover Boys, One Froggy Evening, and even Tex Avery’s own I Love to Singa.
Basically, the pros outweigh the cons so far.
Absolutely.

With so much competition on the animation scene, including films that aren’t stereotypically cartoony, I wonder what that would do to the Animation Age Ghetto (the notion that cartoons are only for kids)…..
I also wonder what that means.
Even if Droopy, Screwy Squirrel, and The Big Bad Wolf are relegated to one-shots, I’d imagine they’d carry the same fame and prestige as other one shots like The Dover Boys, One Froggy Evening, and even Tex Avery’s own I Love to Singa.
Well, I can take solace in that if they were just one-shot characters.

Mr. Bug Returns Home
mr-bug-lobby.jpg

Distributed by Paramount on September 7, 1945

Mr. Bug Goes to Town would become the first animated feature to be released since the end of WWII. The post war optimism would lead to the movie become a lot more successful than IOTL, grossing over 4 million dollars at the box office.

NEWS REPORT

Just Win.jpg

Make Mine News
Music Mine Make.jpg

Distributed by RKO Radio Pictures on July 13, 1946
The film is the same as IOTL. I was originally just going to mostly ignore it like I did with Saludos Amigos and The Three Caballeros, but I decided to use it as basically a really news focused update. More of these types of posts will be posted as we move forward with the timeline.
NEWS REPORTS
"Disney family welcomes Walt Jr. to the world" - Variety

"Minority groups upset after Universal announces 'Brer Rabbit' film for early next year" - Time

"20th Century Fox buys 'Mighty Mouse' studio Terrytoons for 6.5 million dollars" - The Los Angeles Times

"Paramount confirms that 'Batman' is in production" - The Hollywood Reporter

View attachment 837353
The film is the same as IOTL. I was originally just going to mostly ignore it like I did with Saludos Amigos and The Three Caballeros, but I decided to use it as basically a really news focused update. More of these types of posts will be posted as we move forward with the timeline.
NEWS REPORTS

"Minority groups upset after Universal announces 'Brer Rabbit' film for early next year" - Time

"20th Century Fox buys 'Mighty Mouse' studio Terrytoons for 6.5 million dollars" - The Los Angeles Times

Cool.

I MUST say this, but WHEN will Paramount buy DC Comics?

View attachment 837353
NEWS REPORTS

Any news with the Disney animation department?