Restarted With A Mouse: A Pop Culture Timeline

Kingdom of the Magic
October 1, 1971

DWO.jpg

"Dad really did put a lot of effort into trying to get the original Progress City idea off the ground, but eventually I convinced him that it wasn't going to work for the foreseeable future. It was probably for the best, I can't really see any cast members really wanting to live at property" - Walt Disney Jr., 1986 interview

The biggest change with the park itself on opening day is that OTL's Alice dark ride takes the place of Mickey Mouse Revue

What is going on with the Peanuts animated specials and theatrical films? Are we still getting them? By the end of the 1960s, Peanuts is hitting is stride with Marcie, Peppermint Patty, Franklin and Woodstock getting introduced to change the cast dynamic. I can't imagine Charles Schulz or United Feature Syndicate just sitting around not having animation with the Peanuts characters.

Breadcrumb Trails
What is going on with the Peanuts animated specials and theatrical films? Are we still getting them? By the end of the 1960s, Peanuts is hitting is stride with Marcie, Peppermint Patty, Franklin and Woodstock getting introduced to change the cast dynamic. I can't imagine Charles Schulz or United Feature Syndicate just sitting around not having animation with the Peanuts characters.
Yes, they still exist but aren't really notable to mention. Although speaking of adaptations...

The Cat in the Hat (dir. Chuck Jones)
cat-in-the-hat-cel.jpg

Distributed by Warner Bros. on November 5, 1971

Cast: Allen Sherman, Denise Nickerson, Tony Fraizer, Daws Butler

The Cat in the Hat would ease the sting of loosing the battle for DC, opening to rave reviews from critics.

Hansel & Gretel (dir. Wolfgang Reitherman)
51qdj76ZtwL._SY365_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Distributed by Walt Disney Pictures on December 3, 1971

Cast: Danny Bonaduce, Pamelyn Ferdin, June Foray, Sterling Holloway

Hansel & Gretel would be another major box office success for Disney, however some of the British humor used in the film flew over the heads of most American moviegoers.

NEWS REPORTS

"Walt Disney Pictures names Don Bluth as head of animation" - The New York Times

"20th Century Fox making 'Mighty Mouse' movie" - Variety

"Universal interested in working with Japanese studio Toho" - The Hollywood Reporter

Last edited:
Well, at least WB has the Seuss license, and another long-loved fairy tale has the Disney touch.

Naming Don Bluth as head of Disney animation, Fox buying Harvey Comics and almost certainly getting another stable of characters to go with the Terrytoons, and Universal working with Toho, are great plans for the future.

X Rated And Animated
x.jpg

Distributed by Warner Bros. on April 12, 1972

Warner Bros. tried campaigning for several different changes to be made to the film, but director Ralph Bakshi was able to convince them to keep the film as close as possible to what he wanted to make. The film would prove to be a massive success, making 90 million dollars on a 700 thousand dollar budget. Reactions ranged from some critics praising the film as consistently funny and brilliantly pointed, to the original creator of Fritz the Cat, Walter Crumb, killing off the character soon after the movie's release.

View attachment 841227
Distributed by Warner Bros. on April 12, 1972

Warner Bros. tried campaigning for several different changes to be made to the film, but director Ralph Bakshi was able to convince them to keep the film as close as possible to what he wanted to make. The film would prove to be a massive success, making 90 million dollars on a 700 thousand dollar budget. Reactions ranged from some critics praising the film as consistently funny and brilliantly pointed, to the original creator of Fritz the Cat, Walter Crumb, killing off the character soon after the movie's release.
Holy crap. Do you NOT know just how BIG and MASSIVE this is?

This is probably gonna be the start of the adult animation boom ITTL, is it?

Also, when are we gonna cover TV?

Walt's Tribute to Max Fleischer
SPECIAL REPORT

"Animation pioneer Max Fleischer, dead at 89"

Fleischer.jpg

MAX FLEISCHER
(July 19, 1883 - September 25, 1972)
On the morning of September 25, 1972, Paramount Pictures issued a press statement announcing the death of Famous Studios co-founder, Max Fleischer. The creator of several classic cartoon characters from Betty Boop to Popeye the Sailor Man, his death sadden many who grew up with his creations and would be one of the most heartbreaking deaths in entertainment history. Several tributes were made to honor his legacy, one of the most well known of which being Walt Disney's.

The following comes from a transcript of an episode of "The Wonderful World of Disney", dated October 1, 1972

Why-was-Walt-Disney-important-in-the-1950s.jpg

Walt Disney: Before we begin today's episode, I want to talk about something that is very important to me. As you may know about a week ago, it was announced that Max Fleischer had sadly pass away. Max was a pioneer in the world of animation who's characters have brought joy many different people all around the world. If it wasn't his inventions or techniques like the Rotoscope, I likely could have never have tools necessary to make movies like Cinderella or Snow White. Max was a true artist, as a fellow animator and admirer of his work, I must pay tribute to his vision and his enduring impact on the medium we both loved. Rest in peace Max, thank you for all that you have done for animation and may your legacy forever be remembered.

NEWS REPORTS

"Hyperion to distribute 'American Graffiti' produced by 'Godfather' director" - The New York Times

"Hanna-Barbera's 'Charlotte's Web' movie to be released next spring" - The Hollywood Reporter

"Home Box Office channel launches" - TV Guide

Walt's obituary on Max would have likely changed the views of many animation fans who thought the Disneys and the Fleischers were bitter rivals. And I, for one, approve of that paradigm shift.

Outside of that, Hyperion Pictures getting George Lucas and Francis Ford Coppola on board for their studio can mean good things for them.

I'd imagine Home Box Office could have some animated offerings early on. At least, I hope that would happen.

We're getting into the 1970s. In a few more years, we'll be taking a trip to a galaxy far, far away...

What effects will the original Star Wars: A New Hope have on the animation industry? Will this spawn lots of animated imitators? Will Disney jump on the bandwagon or even approach George Lucas about an animated adaptation or spin-off?

Charlotte's Graffiti
51rqB9k8NjL.jpg

Distributed by Universal Pictures on March 1, 1973

The movie got mixed reviews upon it's initial release, but would get more popularity through home video and TV airings.

61PCVyG-MrL._AC_.jpg

Distributed by Walt Disney Pictures (via Hyperion Pictures) on August 11, 1973

American Graffiti would become a smash hit for the new division, getting widespread critical acclaim. After the film's major success, The Disney's would begin showing interest in producing another project from director George Lucas.

Next update is going act as an introduction to some characters that will be important for later on in this timeline.

I mean, from a human's perspective, a legible web could be seen as graffiti.

But still, this was a fine update. I wonder who the new characters are.

If Disney owns the rights to Star Wars from the start it’d be a good way to avoid the Tomorrowland problem. Hard to say that something is “dated” when it’s from “a long time ago in a galaxy far far away”.

Also maybe with Walt still around Tokyo Disneyland might have more to differentiate it from the original Disneyworld. Or it could be possible that they could simply buy Nara Dreamland.

One thing’s for certain: the myth that one of the Haunted Mansion’s singing busts was a Walt tribute wouldn’t be started with Walt still alive.

50 Years of Disney
xmas72b.jpg

1973 would mark 50 years since the opening of the Disney Brothers Cartoon Studio. The company celebrated the occasion with "The Mouse Factory", a TV mini-series that combined classic moments from the company's past with new segments featuring celebrity guests interacting with walk-around characters from the parks. Some notable guests from the series included Kurt Russell, Gene Wilder, Don Knotts and Jim Henson. 1973 would also mark the release of Robin Hood to great success.

NEWS REPORTS

"Could these two British prodigies be the next Roy & Walt Disney?" - The Sun

Two secondary school students are being touted as animation's next great duo. 17-year-old Nick Baxter and 15-year-old Ryan O'Reilly have created several animated shorts that have garnered the attention of Britain's film festival attendees. "We first got paired together during a group project for our school's art class and the teacher instantly could tell that the two of us had potential as a team" said Ryan; "We began brainstorming all these wacky cartoon ideas and Nick would draw all these different characters in his notebook. Before we really even knew it, we had about 10-15 short film ideas that we wanted to bring to life". When asked about their future in the field of animation, Nick Baxter replied "We grew up watching Popeye and Mickey Mouse all the time when we were younger, we've been massive fans of cartoons our entire life. Whether we do it as a team or not, we both want to become the next great legends in animation history".

"20th Century Fox sets 'Mighty Mouse' for Thanksgiving of 1974" - The Hollywood Reporter

View attachment 841543

1973 would mark 50 years since the opening of the Disney Brothers Cartoon Studio. The company celebrated the occasion with "The Mouse Factory", a TV mini-series that combined classic moments from the company's past with new segments featuring celebrity guests interacting with walk-around characters from the parks. Some notable guests from the series included Kurt Russell, Gene Wilder, Don Knotts and Jim Henson. 1973 would also mark the release of Robin Hood to great success.
Cool!

And I now see that Disney could get Star Wars? What's anime up to? I think we could use a earlier boom.
NEWS REPORTS

"Could these two British prodigies be the next Roy & Walt Disney?" - The Sun

Two secondary school students are being touted as animation's next great duo. 17-year-old Nick Baxter and 15-year-old Ryan O'Reilly have created several animated shorts that have garnered the attention of Britain's film festival attendees. "We first got paired together during a group project for our school's art class and the teacher instantly could tell that the two of us had potential as a team" said Ryan; "We began brainstorming all these wacky cartoon ideas and Nick would draw all these different characters in his notebook. Before we really even knew it, we had about 10-15 short film ideas that we wanted to bring to life". When asked about their future in the field of animation, Nick Baxter replied "We grew up watching Popeye and Mickey Mouse all the time when we were younger, we've been massive fans of cartoons our entire life. Whether we do it as a team or not, we both want to become the next great legends in animation history".
Cool!

So I see that we have some OCs huh? Cool!
"20th Century Fox sets 'Mighty Mouse' for Thanksgiving of 1974" - The Hollywood Reporter
Cool.

Here He Comes to Save the Day
What's anime up to? I think we could use a earlier boom.
I kind of don't really have an idea on what I'm going to do with anime, I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to that. 😅

Mighty Mouse (dir. Friz Freleng)
M2.jpg

Distributed by 20th Century Fox on November 28, 1974

Cast: Mel Blanc, Debbie Reynolds, June Foray, Mickey Rooney

Mighty Mouse was the first animated feature film released by Fox in almost 25 years. The movie would spent a month at #1 before being overtaken by Disney's "Island at the Top of the World".

NEWS REPORTS

"20th Century Fox to distribute 'Wizards' movie by Ralph Bakshi" - The Hollywood Reporter

"Columbia/CBS deal approved by Justice Department" - The Washington Post