Restarted With A Mouse: A Pop Culture Timeline

Here's something new I've decided to do for the mid point of every decade. I'm going to make quick mentions of movies that have some minor changes due to other events in the timeline.

Heavy-traffic-movie-poster-md.jpg
Coonskin_(1975).jpg

Both movies are distributed by Warner Bros. as they also distributed Fritz the Cat

A_Gunfight_t.jpg
Z.P.G._FilmPoster.jpeg
Chinatownposter1.jpg
Paper-moon_small.jpg

All of these movies are co-produced by Famous Studios. "Paper Moon" was the last film to be produced by Max Fleischer before his death.

Attachments

• Nashville_(movie_poster).jpg
    Nashville_(movie_poster).jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 57
We're approaching the 1980s. What awaits us for animation in that decade?

I assume the Reagan era deregulation of television animation still happens meaning we 80s kids/late Gen-Xers still get He-Man & the Masters of the Universe, the Transformers, GI Joe, Voltron, Challenge of the Gobots, Rainbow Brite, the Care Bears and so on. And some of those did get feature films in theaters.

I kind of don't really have an idea on what I'm going to do with anime, I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to that. 😅

Mighty Mouse (dir. Friz Freleng)
View attachment 841846
Distributed by 20th Century Fox on November 28, 1974

Cast: Mel Blanc, Debbie Reynolds, June Foray, Mickey Rooney

Mighty Mouse was the first animated feature film released by Fox in almost 25 years. The movie would spent a month at #1 before being overtaken by Disney's "Island at the Top of the World".

NEWS REPORTS

"20th Century Fox to distribute 'Wizards' movie by Ralph Bakshi" - The Hollywood Reporter

"Columbia/CBS deal approved by Justice Department" - The Washington Post
Well it’s nice that Uirnating Tree still has a great joke to use

November 13, 1975
From the book "The Animatkid" by Ryan O'Reilly
"I remember that day like it was yesterday. I took the train ride to Waterloo Station and got chauffeured to Soho so that I could begin working for Richard Williams."

Richard_Williams_Animation_1985.jpg

"I actually tried to get Nick to come join me but he eventually got an offer to come work for a studio out in California, which I later found out was Universal."

Screenshot 2023-07-04 220810.png

NEWS REPORTS

"Walt Disney Jr. spotted with actress Candice Bergen" - People Magazine

"Warner Bros. working on 'Wild Things' movie for 1977" - Variety

"NBC's 'Saturday Night' opens to strong ratings" - TV Guide

Last edited:
Gold Dis-Key
"Disney to buy Gold Key" - The Washington Post

Goldkeycomics.jpeg

Disney recently announce the purchase long-time collaborator Gold Key Comics for an estimated 500 thousand dollars. A Disney executive said on the acquisition, "Gold Key has been a valuable collaborator of the Walt Disney Company for many years and we hope to continue using characters created by them like Turok". The executive refused to comment on the future of Gold Key's other comics involving properties of other studios like Woody Woodpecker and Star Trek.

NEWS REPORTS

"Universal to release Toho co-production 'Nessie' for Easter weekend" - Variety

"Paramount expected to start shooting 'Superman' in March" - The Los Angeles Times

Shout out to @TheFaultsofAlts for the idea

"Disney to buy Gold Key" - The Washington Post

View attachment 842360

Disney recently announce the purchase long-time collaborator Gold Key Comics for an estimated 500 thousand dollars. A Disney executive said on the acquisition, "Gold Key has been a valuable collaborator of the Walt Disney Company for many years and we hope to continue using characters created by them like Turok". The executive refused to comment on the future of Gold Key's other comics involving properties of other studios like Woody Woodpecker and Star Trek.

NEWS REPORTS

"Universal to release Toho co-production 'Nessie' for Easter weekend" - Variety

"Paramount expected to start shooting 'Superman' in March" - The Los Angeles Times

Shout out to @TheFaultsofAlts for the idea
Cool!

Also, will Disney keep the original superheroes? They'll come in handy.

Loch Ness Dolls
Raggedy-Ann-and-Andy-poster-22x27-1.jpg

Distributed by Columbia Pictures on March 4, 1977

Raggedy Ann is a film mainly remembered for the historical effects caused by it, such as the first major motion picture Ryan O'Reilly worked on and being a contributing factor for Richard Williams Animation being approached to make an adaptation of "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe".

Dln5TTIUUAEeUuB.jpg

Distributed by Universal Pictures on April 8, 1977

Cast: Michael Caine, Candice Bergen, Lee Van Cleef, Ken Takakura

Universal's first movie with Toho would prove to be a monstrous smash hit. It would go on to earn over 100 million dollars at the box office with the studio quickly fast tracking a sequel.

Next Update: Walt Disney Pictures presents... STAR WARS

Just caught up and found some interesting aspects so far.

Also, HOLY COW DISNEY GETS STAR WARS DECADES EARLIER THAN OTL! Here's hoping the plot's the same....

For Sci-Fi, WipEout will be next film for 1978 and the distribution will be Columbia Pictures. the AG Racing League has its own theatrical debut.

So Disney has Star Wars in the 1970s, eh? I wonder how they will prioritize this as well as it will effect the release of its animated films from the late 1980s and onward.

A Galaxy Far, Far Away
For clarification, Disney doesn't own the actual IP rights for Star Wars (at least not yet). The franchise is still mainly the property of George Lucas and Lucasfilm, Disney is the distributer.

unnamed.jpg

Distributed by Walt Disney Pictures on May 27, 1977

Cast: Mark Hamill, Kurt Russell, Carrie Fisher, Toshiro Mifune

After the success of American Graffiti, Walt and Junior approach George Lucas about have them produce another movie for him. That meeting would result in the first installment of one of the most successful entertainment franchises in history. It would become the highest grossing movie ever made at the time and kickstarted the careers of several of the film's stars.

*Error 404: Threadmark Title not found*
p_therescuers_19888_176119f8.jpeg

Distributed by Walt Disney Pictures on October 7, 1977

The only difference is that Disney released it in October to avoid it conflicting with Star Wars and Pete's Dragon.

NEWS REPORTS

"Paramount sets 'Superman' to fly into theaters next Christmas" - Time

"Richard Williams Animation hired for 'Narnia' movie" - The Guardian

"Warner Bros. interested in tapping into the Japanese market after 'Nessie' becomes major success" - The Los Angeles Times

Big News from Texas
"New animation studio arrives in Texas" - The Houston Chronical

Columbia Pictures and Richard Williams Animation have set up a new studio in Houston. The studio is comprised of a 10-man skeleton crew ranging from long time veterans to new rookies. Richard Williams animation is working on an adaptation of The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, currently set for a holiday 1979 release, as well as the long-time passion project, The Thief and The Cobbler.

PEOPLE WORKING AT WILLIAMS-COLUMBIA

Ken Harris, 79, nearly 50 year veteran for Warner Bros.
Art Babbitt, 70, nearly 50 year veteran for Walt Disney, Warner Bros., Hanna-Barbera, Terrytoons and UPA
Richard Trueblood, 36, former animator for Hanna-Barbera
David Block, 33, assistant for Raggedy Ann
John Celestri, 28, assistant for Raggedy Ann
Henry Selick, 25, rookie
Eric Goldberg, 22, assistant for Raggedy Ann
John Lassenter, 21, rookie
Brad Bird, 20, rookie
Ryan O'Reilly, 19, assistant for Raggedy Ann

This is a surprisingly filling cast of vets and newcomers alike. Getting people like Ken Harris, Art Babbit, Eric Goldberg, Henry Selick, John Lasseter, and Brad Bird on this can have a great domino effect on animation. Provided this studio sticks around full time.

"New animation studio arrives in Texas" - The Houston Chronical

Columbia Pictures and Richard Williams Animation have set up a new studio in Houston. The studio is comprised of a 10-man skeleton crew ranging from long time veterans to new rookies. Richard Williams animation is working on an adaptation of The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, currently set for a holiday 1979 release, as well as the long-time passion project, The Thief and The Cobbler.

PEOPLE WORKING AT WILLIAMS-COLUMBIA

Ken Harris, 79, nearly 50 year veteran for Warner Bros.
Art Babbitt, 70, nearly 50 year veteran for Walt Disney, Warner Bros., Hanna-Barbera, Terrytoons and UPA
Richard Trueblood, 36, former animator for Hanna-Barbera
David Block, 33, assistant for Raggedy Ann
John Celestri, 28, assistant for Raggedy Ann
Henry Selick, 25, rookie
Eric Goldberg, 22, assistant for Raggedy Ann
John Lassenter, 21, rookie
Brad Bird, 20, rookie
Ryan O'Reilly, 19, assistant for Raggedy Ann
Cool, so Columbia's getting back into animation? I hope them much success.