Will any of the figures who came to power in Croatia during WWII become prominent ITTL? The kind of genocidal nastiness and religious fanaticism that existed in the Ustase IOTL would not be out of place in the context of this war.

By no means an expert on Croatian history, but I'll find a few people!
Actually, the Croats remain fairly loyal to Maximilian right now... they obviously have no love for the Hungarians and would much rather remain a kingdom within Danubia.

Hmm...I suspect the Serbs (and behind them, the Black Hand) and Montenegrins might take this opportunity to go for a revolt. This will draw Croatian troops south instead of north, but honestly, this is not going to end well for the Serbs and Montenegrins. Especially if they decide to strike at Bulgaria and Greece as well, out of the former holding onto Macedonia and the latter stabbing them in the back during the war.

A good assessment- yes, the Balkans are going to go a little crazy (although that won't be for another few updates)

Well, assuming the Croations and Bohemians stay with the Hapsburgs, they could still do well out of the postwar settlement

Certainly neither have any interest in secession... at the moment. The coming influx of German troops into the empire will only further their decision to remain loyal.

The Bohemian one probably is, as well. Prague is another major cultural center like Vienna, and I imagine the Czechs are going to be screaming bloody vengeance for the martyred Emperor, and for the rabid Hungarians to be put down before they turn on Prague as well.
There's another person to worry about. Namely, the Bishop of Rome himself. This is, well, holy shit, if there wasn't plans for canonization drawn up once an account of his demise was brought to His Holiness's attention, well....

The Pope might not have any divisions on call, but he can sure as heck rile up yoru brothers behind your lines.

The empire is not in a good position- their capital gone, the emperor dead, and oh by the way, the Balkans are about to go down the loo. Not out of the woods yet!

"My centre is giving way, my right is retreating, excellent situation, I am attacking."

There's another person to worry about. Namely, the Bishop of Rome himself. This is, well, holy shit, if there wasn't plans for canonization drawn up once an account of his demise was brought to His Holiness's attention, well....

The Pope might not have any divisions on call, but he can sure as heck rile up yoru brothers behind your lines.

"My centre is giving way, my right is retreating, excellent situation, I am attacking."
Couldn't have put it better myself!

Considering Serbia was just crushed by Austria-Hungary with force of arms, what capacity would its people have for rebellion at this point? Obviously the motive is there due to the tragedy of their king's final march and just nationalistic fervor in general, but at this point they're probably not the most organized or well-armed.

Considering Serbia was just crushed by Austria-Hungary with force of arms, what capacity would its people have for rebellion at this point? Obviously the motive is there due to the tragedy of their king's final march and just nationalistic fervor in general, but at this point they're probably not the most organized or well-armed.
The veteran garrison who participated in the conquest of Serbia and occupied it for years has been withdrawn to fight; their place is taken by young conscripts who are about eighteen.
Someone will be giving the rebels a hand as well...
At the very least, Danubia will have a massive guerilla war on its hands in the territory.

The veteran garrison who participated in the conquest of Serbia and occupied it for years has been withdrawn to fight; their place is taken by young conscripts who are about eighteen.
Someone will be giving the rebels a hand as well...
At the very least, Danubia will have a massive guerilla war on its hands in the territory.
Even with external help **coff coff Italy coff coff**... The odds are, that would escalate and end badly for Serbia.

Danubia: "There will be peace in Hungary, again. Even if it's the peace of the grave. Maybe there is another way... But the man who believed in that way is dead. They killed him. So whatever happens next... It's nothing more than what they deserve, really."

Serbia: "Ha ha! Look at all those boys and old men, garrisoning our lands. We won't have a better chance. Rise, Slavic brothers! YOLO!!"

Danubia: "... All right then. You asked for it. I'm gonna get medieval on your ass. The carrot didn't work, so we are using the stick. A big fucking sharp stick."

Germany: "What the- Dude! Don't you think that may be a bit excessive?"

Danubia: "Rebels already murdered our Emperor. Once. No matter the means... Never again."

Even with external help **coff coff Italy coff coff**... The odds are, that would escalate and end badly for Serbia.

Danubia: "There will be peace in Hungary, again. Even if it's the peace of the grave. Maybe there is another way... But the man who believed in that way is dead. They killed him. So whatever happens next... It's nothing more than what they deserve, really."

Serbia: "Ha ha! Look at all those boys and old men, garrisoning our lands. We won't have a better chance. Rise, Slavic brothers! YOLO!!"

Danubia: "... All right then. You asked for it. I'm gonna get medieval on your ass. The carrot didn't work, so we are using the stick. A big fucking sharp stick."

Germany: "What the- Dude! Don't you think that may be a bit excessive?"

Danubia: "Rebels already murdered our Emperor. Once. No matter the means... Never again."
That's about it, alright...

So...

...anyone think Austria will be the second nation to go full blown Integralism?

Eh...I'm thinking "Surprise Anschluss!" is more likely than a fascist Austria. Besides, the OP already stated in the past that the Habsburg Empire will be sticking around for a while longer. Given Karl's legacy, I also doubt that federalization is almost immediately going to be discarded, that'd be like spitting in the late Emperor's face by throwing away everything he worked and died for. More likely, Hungary just gets stripped of its federal status for a time, plus other punishments, for their treachery.

The Hungarians also shot themselves in the foot diplomatically. They pillage the capital city of a European country that was declared an open city by its Monarch. Way to paint yourself as untrustworthy Barbarians.

So... I just read this story over the last 2 days, and it is quite excellent indeed. I hope to see much more of it :)

Can't wait to see what the future brings for poor old France, even poorer Serbia and Mexico, and about-to-die Hungary. Wouldn't surprise me if Hungarians are going to suffer a grisly fate indeed, like Armenians in the OE grisly. That's twice in half a century that someone has had to save Austria's bacon from a Hungarian revolt.

That said, the repercussions are pretty apparent already - A-H has been turned into a set of federal states held together by German arms, rather than a real Great Power (even if Austrian incompetence has to be blamed here, too, so with a proper army it still could be). Can't see that feeling good for any of the more unhappy constituents, and of course the Romanians might just want to take Transylvania off its hands (as the Poles want Lodomeria and Galicia).

So... I just read this story over the last 2 days, and it is quite excellent indeed. I hope to see much more of it :)

Can't wait to see what the future brings for poor old France, even poorer Serbia and Mexico, and about-to-die Hungary. Wouldn't surprise me if Hungarians are going to suffer a grisly fate indeed, like Armenians in the OE grisly. That's twice in half a century that someone has had to save Austria's bacon from a Hungarian revolt.

That said, the repercussions are pretty apparent already - A-H has been turned into a set of federal states held together by German arms, rather than a real Great Power (even if Austrian incompetence has to be blamed here, too, so with a proper army it still could be). Can't see that feeling good for any of the more unhappy constituents, and of course the Romanians might just want to take Transylvania off its hands (as the Poles want Lodomeria and Galicia).

Thanks; really glad you like it! :) I hope to continue on this standard.

Those are all interesting predictions... Danubia will no longer be seen as a Great Power, although it'll be sticking around for a while longer...

Now that I think about it, as we are going back to Mexico in the next chapter... Maybe something like this will happen?

"Showdown of the Century!
Teddy Roosevelt VS Emiliano Zapata
Who shall be... The Roughest Rider!?"