Germany's interest would be in ensuring that any new French regime would continue to pay its war debts. Otherwise TTL will very likely have a parallel to the OTL French occupation of the Ruhr.

Germany's interest would be in ensuring that any new French regime would continue to pay its war debts. Otherwise TTL will very likely have a parallel to the OTL French occupation of the Ruhr.

Germany won't hesitate to intervene in the French Civil War to protect its interests, but currently Berlin doesn't think it's necessary to do so.
That may well change, however...

unitedempireofdanubia.jpg

Many, many thanks to SamuelVonStrassburg for the beautiful map. Unfortunately, following some retcons I've temporarily de-threadmarked it. However, it's still a great map and I promise I'll find a use for it at some point!

Last edited:
A Danubian nation that actually gains a real sense of nationhood and stays united will be a big game-changer in Europe. Not really the best scenario for Italy, but I think it will be a good outcome overall for the troubled region. Bulgaria and Romania will be forced to behave themselves and Greece, hopefully, will gain some manner of protection from their more uppity neighbors.

Monitor

Donor
A Danubian nation that actually gains a real sense of nationhood and stays united will be a big game-changer in Europe. Not really the best scenario for Italy, but I think it will be a good outcome overall for the troubled region. Bulgaria and Romania will be forced to behave themselves and Greece, hopefully, will gain some manner of protection from their more uppity neighbors.
Yeah, but besides a great power war between the Italians and the Austrians, we might see peace in that region. And that great power war would have an pretty obVitus conclusion (germany likely joining the Habsburgs, and Austria’s empire was a second rate, not third rate great power (Ottomans + Italy third rate, Russia, France, Austria second rate and USA, Great Britain and Germany first rate (those three can take upon the world (excluding the other 2 and have a chance at actually winning)).

A few general thoughts, I don’t think we can translate the goal of a fascist Germany to a fascist France, for one thing France already have a lot of Lebensraum in Africa.

So here is a general idea of policies of fascist France.

Natalistic policies to increase birth rates.
Developing their African “Siberia”.
Get rid of the (imaginary) Fifth Column in France.
Return to traditional values.
Seeking autarky

I think a such a France would seek a program of peace in Europe, mostly so that they can focus their resources internal.

I have to say this danubian nation will be very interesting. Because if it is structured anything like its previous iteration. Where each state has its own operating government however sharing the executive branch between them in the form of mainly the crown. So assuming it follows this pattern and no new over bearing legislator has been cooked up which i do believe no one would be particularly for. I find it interesting because while heavily decentralised and federalised this would result in vast amount of national policy being decided by the said shared executive branch/ monarchy. Though i doubt any legislator branch is created for the federal level I wouldn’t be surprised if there was as part of the cabinet a council of prime ministers though thats up to your discretion

Given how people tend to hate "False Friends" a lot more than "Honest Enemies", I'd not rule out a Franco-German reconciliation and France becoming Germany's junior partner in a potential round 2 in TTL.

Given how people tend to hate "False Friends" a lot more than "Honest Enemies", I'd not rule out a Franco-German reconciliation and France becoming Germany's junior partner in a potential round 2 in TTL.

That would be a twist. While I don't see that happening, I can see Italy being a strong supporter of this idea because then they could join in as well and the three empires could remove British presence from Africa entirely and divide the continent between themselves (while leaving Portuguese Africa, Spanish Africa, and Liberia alone).

A Franco-Spanish-Italo-Portuguese axis would certainly shake things up. Perhaps if all four unite around the notion of Integralism?

A good start, but to take on Germany and company, I would try to get some new world nations involved as well. This will have two benefits as well: One, it would be moderately believable to have nations such as Mexico, Columbia, Venezuela, etc be sympathetic to the goals of this new Catholic Latin Pact and join in. France will need all the help they can get against German military and industrial might. Two, it would make South America interesting for once in a European focused TL that takes place post 1900 lol.

For the Portuguese, they can join but you should mention Britain if you decide to go that route. Britain and Portugal have a long standing alliance with one each other so Britain would at least have some words to say if Portugal drifts away from British influence for a France-led alliance.

Right now, the Mexican Revolution is still going on. Maybe you could have a Zapatista victory this time? Technically their side won, but it was more of a Constitutionalist victory

The Zapatistas lost, Hard. And thank god for that, IRL.

I'm not surehow they could could ITTL, unless Zapata gets his head out of Morelos and decides to actually do something outside of it.

OTL but again OTL is weird. Again unless they want more Austrian territory..well...

Okay lets talk about this they have more to gain fight with Germany.

The Germans gave them parts of southern France Corisca Tunisia all of Somalia and Istria. If anything the elite would just see this war to get more of French Africa and southern France. They also saw Germany take down three great powers in under two years.

Fight Germany they can lose Istria and their African holdings and gain what some mountain villages?