The Belgian atrocities are in fact very well known in OTL, it may be the single most well known colonial atrocity in large part thanks to the novella 1899 Heart of Darkness. It have just fallen somewhat out of popular conscious over time as the Age of Colonialism grow less relevant and as the Belgians have stayed out of Africa afterward.
I'm pretty sure it's worse than that, considering there are statues of him all over Belgium, and many Belgians see Leopold II as one of their better kings. Hell, there's even more than a bit of Japanese-style apologia, i.e. the Belgian government acknowledges the horrors of the Free State, but downplays his role in it, much like how the Japanese government acknowledges their war crimes but downplays its official - or the involvement of the Imperial Family therein - role in said crimes.

Unrelated, but kinda related, given the title of the TL - when did the term 'Central Powers' emerge? The Triple Alliance obviously wasn't the Triple Alliance in the war IRL because Italy didn't join the war then switched sides, but when did people actually start calling 'Germany, Austria-Hungary, Ottomans and Bulgaria' the "Central Powers"?

Because I gotta say, it was a serious propaganda win in the history of the topic 'Allied Powers' sounds so much nicer, and friendlier than 'Central powers', even though both sides were more or less equal, morally, in WWI.

And actually relatedly - @Kaiser Wilhelm the Tenth have you decided what some of the historiography of the War will be as of yet? Like, what are historians going to call this war, and the factions, and some of their analysis of it. I'm curious - were Germany, Italy, Austria, etc called the central powers in this TL?

Good question!
I use "Central Powers" in the title because, well, it's familiar to an OTL audience. In this TL, well, I suppose it could be the "Sixtuple Alliance" (Germany+Austria-Hungary+Italy+Bulgaria+Ottoman Turkey+Romania), but that sounds a little unwieldy. When we get to round 2, (which will take a while!), it'll be the Entente v Allies. With regards to historiography, just off the top of the head I'd say "Great War" in the Anglophone world, "Weltkrieg" for the CPs, and the French probably call it "War of German Aggression" or something equally longwinded!
Of course, to the participants, it's always "the f***ing war" or some such!

To be honest, I haven't really given the issue much thought so any and all ideas are welcome!

This topic really caught my interest and probably other readers of this thread too, Kylia. As a New York Times Sunday subscriber, I have access to their online back issues and I did a search. There were basically 5 terms for the Allied side but many, many more for what we would eventually call the Central Powers.

The Allies (and they were being called “Allies” at the war’s very beginning in August 1914) were AKA the Triple Entente, the Entente Powers, the Entente and (after Italy joined them) the Quadruple Entente.

Germany and Austria-Hungary had been in the Triple Alliance with Italy but when Italy declared her neutrality, the New York Times(NYT) first called them the Dual Alliance, the older 1879 non-Italian alliance (or Zweibund in German)

On August 5, 1914, the NYT had a chart entitled “The Dual Alliance” versus “The Triple Entente And Its Allies.” Later, when Turkey and Bulgaria entered the war on Germany’s side, they were almost always considered distinct from what the NYT referred to as the Central Powers, just as the smaller Allied nations (Belgium, Serbia, Romania, etc) were considered distinct from the Entente. “Allies” almost always referred to Britain and France on the Western Front (and Gallipoli). Individual Allied names predominated: the Italians, the Russians, the Serbs, etc.

The first use of “central powers” (and it was lower case) that I noticed was November 2, 1914 when the NYT referred to “the two central powers” and their new ally Turkey. On June 12, 1915, Turkey was described as “the Islamic ally of the central powers” (Lower case again) and on December 10, 1915 “the central powers and their allies Bulgaria and Turkey.” Sporadic use of “central powers” seems to have continued until that term became fairly regular in the last half of 1915 and by 1916, it was fairly often used.

It almost seemed like the NYT was trying to find a shorthand term that fit. Other terms were Germanic Powers, Germanic Allies, Teutonic Powers, Teutonic Allies (and the shorter Teuton Allies), Austro-German Alliance, and Central Empires. And all of these terms overwhelmingly referred to only Germany and Austria-Hungary. Bulgaria and Turkey would usually be added to these terms except in one instance when “Quadruple Alliance” began to appear. (And at least once, confusingly, as the “Quadruple Entente” which had previously been used to describe the alliance of Britain, France, Russia and Italy.) None seem as "catchy" I guess as “Central Powers”.

On March 6, 1918, the NYT published what it called the text of the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk with Russia. In Article 1, the NYT used the term “Central Powers” and in Article 2 the term “Quadruple Entente” . The German original text lists the 4 allies individually in Article 1 (No “Central Powers”) and in Article 2, the term “Mächten des Vierbundes ” (literally translated as “Powers of the 4 League” or “Quadruple Alliance”)

At the Brest-Litovsk negotiations, Leon Trotsky was quoted as calling these 4 powers “Zentralmächten” or “Central Powers” . German Wikipedia uses 3 terms: “die Mittelmächte”, “die Zentralmächte” and “Vierbund”. ( I really enjoyed this research, some of it was day by day. It was interesting to see the Lusitania arriving and leaving the United States several times and knowing what her ultimate fate would be in just a few months...)

Last edited:
Huh.

So it seems like it just sort of... happened, then. Interesting. Not a deliberate choice by anyone.

Thanks! I appreciate you digging through the NYT on that for us.

Wasn't Poland already taken as a German puppet in the peace treaty? Ukraine and the Baltic states are certainly ripe for the picking in the event of another war with Russia or a Russian civil war though. Mitteleuropa may yet become a reality within a few decades.
In the peace treaty Russia accepted the existing frontline as the new international border. That included the western parts of Belarus. Only the Ukraine remains completely with the Russian Empire. Germany had conquered the Baltics in TTL's 1916 offensive.

According to the map posted after the peace treaty, five states were created:
1) Finland
2) United Baltic Duchy
3) Lithuania
4) Poland
5) a rump Belarus

Last edited:
The Boer War saw 350k Brits and roughly 100k other colonial troops, plus 100k African auxiliaries, as per wikipedia. I would be shocked if India gets less, especially when between the Nepalese/Bhutanese and the princely states the local auxiliaries should easily be 10 times that auxiliaries number (again, per wiki, Hyderabad had 200k troops when it died in 1948, even if they weren't up to snuff).

Sure, the British themselves might not go as high as 350k, and Hyderabad is obviously a mess, but there are other princes about who could deploy tens of thousands of troops to pacify countrysides (and who, looking Indian, might not trigger nearly asd much initial hostility).
Actually, Nepal fought in ww1 otl with the entirety of its army even though they were branded as British colonial troops, throughout ww1. 2 Regiments were fighting even in France! The majority however fought against Turkey and in Africa. I see no mention to the contrary so Nepalese troops should have fought in Africa and the middle east ittl as well. Around 50,000 troops fought directly in the war otl. In 1916 the Law of Military Preparedness saw Nepal expand the army into 100,000 standing forces, and 20,000 reserves. By this point without a war, the number would have been reduced to 80,000 active troops and 30,000 reserves however. However the presence of 80,000 Nepalese veterans will throw a massive wrench into the plans. Around 150,000 Nepalese during this time were also a part of the Royal Gurkha Rifles which were placed in India and Burma during peacetime, making a grand total of 230,000 troops from Nepal available to fight for the British in India. Until the 1980s otl, Nepal also produced its own licensed weapons for the army, making them self-sufficient. In ww2, the Royal Nepalese Army actually supplied itself on the Burmese Front! Nepalese troops had been present during the 1911 Xinhai Revolution in Tibet, and would be especially beneficial for Britain to use them to clear out the Himalayas.

The Bhutanese Themselves also had an army of around 9,000 veterans during this time.

Needless to say the Brits already have around ~240,000 friendly troops in North India. Well-armed and well-trained and veterans as well.

If Britain can take advantage of this, then Britain is still within the game. Much of India during this time had the manpower, but did not have the equipment or experience. Coupled with Loyalist regions like the Central Provinces, Assam, Manipur, Arunachal, Nagaland, Tripura, Burma etc the British are still within the game.

bguy

Donor
We also have to think about Japan. I have no doubt that they're doing their part to spice things up.

Why would Japan want to spice things up in India? Isn't Japan currently allied to the British? And even if they are thinking of getting out of the alliance, it's not exactly in the interest of any imperial power to encourage colonial rebellions. (A successful rebellion in India would likely inspire independence activists in Korea and Indochina after all.)

True; I don't think it's necessary to go the exact same route as OTL, so I'd be curious to see how things could play out under these circumstances. Great update by the way!

Wasn't Poland already taken as a German puppet in the peace treaty? Ukraine and the Baltic states are certainly ripe for the picking in the event of another war with Russia or a Russian civil war though. Mitteleuropa may yet become a reality within a few decades.
Thanks; glad you like it! Poland and the Baltics are already in Germany's pocket. As for the Ukraine, it's still under Russian rule but once the Reds rebel there will be opportunities for a Ukraine either independent or as a German protectorate.
Oh. Anyway, Mitteleuropa as you said may come to fruition in the next few decades.
We've already got the basic foundations for such a thing- Poland and the Baltics- so it's definitely a possibility!
The Boer War saw 350k Brits and roughly 100k other colonial troops, plus 100k African auxiliaries, as per wikipedia. I would be shocked if India gets less, especially when between the Nepalese/Bhutanese and the princely states the local auxiliaries should easily be 10 times that auxiliaries number (again, per wiki, Hyderabad had 200k troops when it died in 1948, even if they weren't up to snuff).

Sure, the British themselves might not go as high as 350k, and Hyderabad is obviously a mess, but there are other princes about who could deploy tens of thousands of troops to pacify countrysides (and who, looking Indian, might not trigger nearly asd much initial hostility).
Oh dear. I shall have to retcon those numbers!
I'm pretty sure it's worse than that, considering there are statues of him all over Belgium, and many Belgians see Leopold II as one of their better kings. Hell, there's even more than a bit of Japanese-style apologia, i.e. the Belgian government acknowledges the horrors of the Free State, but downplays his role in it, much like how the Japanese government acknowledges their war crimes but downplays its official - or the involvement of the Imperial Family therein - role in said crimes.
Ouch, I didn't know about that- that's nasty. Well, ITTL I'm sure the Germans will make a big deal over being "better, more humane stewards of the Congo" than the Belgians. Who knows, perhaps Leopold II will be seen as a real villain ITTL?
This topic really caught my interest and probably other readers of this thread too, Kylia. As a New York Times Sunday subscriber, I have access to their online back issues and I did a search. There were basically 5 terms for the Allied side but many, many more for what we would eventually call the Central Powers.

The Allies (and they were being called “Allies” at the war’s very beginning in August 1914) were AKA the Triple Entente, the Entente Powers, the Entente and (after Italy joined them) the Quadruple Entente.

Germany and Austria-Hungary had been in the Triple Alliance with Italy but when Italy declared her neutrality, the New York Times(NYT) first called them the Dual Alliance, the older 1879 non-Italian alliance (or Zweibund in German)

On August 5, 1914, the NYT had a chart entitled “The Dual Alliance” versus “The Triple Entente And Its Allies.” Later, when Turkey and Bulgaria entered the war on Germany’s side, they were almost always considered distinct from what the NYT referred to as the Central Powers, just as the smaller Allied nations (Belgium, Serbia, Romania, etc) were considered distinct from the Entente. “Allies” almost always referred to Britain and France on the Western Front (and Gallipoli). Individual Allied names predominated: the Italians, the Russians, the Serbs, etc.

The first use of “central powers” (and it was lower case) that I noticed was November 2, 1914 when the NYT referred to “the two central powers” and their new ally Turkey. On June 12, 1915, Turkey was described as “the Islamic ally of the central powers” (Lower case again) and on December 10, 1915 “the central powers and their allies Bulgaria and Turkey.” Sporadic use of “central powers” seems to have continued until that term became fairly regular in the last half of 1915 and by 1916, it was fairly often used.

It almost seemed like the NYT was trying to find a shorthand term that fit. Other terms were Germanic Powers, Germanic Allies, Teutonic Powers, Teutonic Allies (and the shorter Teuton Allies), Austro-German Alliance, and Central Empires. And all of these terms overwhelmingly referred to only Germany and Austria-Hungary. Bulgaria and Turkey would usually be added to these terms except in one instance when “Quadruple Alliance” began to appear. (And at least once, confusingly, as the “Quadruple Entente” which had previously been used to describe the alliance of Britain, France, Russia and Italy.) None seem as "catchy" I guess as “Central Powers”.

On March 6, 1918, the NYT published what it called the text of the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk with Russia. In Article 1, the NYT used the term “Central Powers” and in Article 2 the term “Quadruple Entente” . The German original text lists the 4 allies individually in Article 1 (No “Central Powers”) and in Article 2, the term “Mächten des Vierbundes ” (literally translated as “Powers of the 4 League” or “Quadruple Alliance”)

At the Brest-Litovsk negotiations, Leon Trotsky was quoted as calling these 4 powers “Zentralmächten” or “Central Powers” . German Wikipedia uses 3 terms: “die Mittelmächte”, “die Zentralmächte” and “Vierbund”. ( I really enjoyed this research, some of it was day by day. It was interesting to see the Lusitania arriving and leaving the United States several times and knowing what her ultimate fate would be in just a few months...)

Wow, you did all that just for my TL? Blimey, I'm humbled!! Also- very cool that you can read the back issues, I shall have to think about subscribing for a Christmas gift-to-self.
So, "central powers" (lowercase 'c') was the norm in summer 1916 when the war ended, eh? Well, that gives me some options. I think the best term for now would be "Central Powers"- perhaps this will change later on when we get to GWII.
But by all means, if you have a better idea, shout out!
Huh.

So it seems like it just sort of... happened, then. Interesting. Not a deliberate choice by anyone.

Thanks! I appreciate you digging through the NYT on that for us.
Indeed.
And Belarus, if they want the full package
Rump Belarus is under German control; this includes Minsk, which was snapped up during TTL's even-more-successful Gorlice Tarnow.
Indeed :) I only know it because my sister is a medical student.
Haha!
In the peace treaty Russia accepted the existing frontline as the new international border. That included the western parts of Belarus. Only the Ukraine remains completely with the Russian Empire. Germany had conquered the Baltics in TTL's 1916 offensive.

According to the map posted after the peace treaty, five states were created:
1) Finland
2) United Baltic Duchy
3) Lithuania
4) Poland
5) a rump Belarus
Exactly right. However, I am thinking about doing some retcons vis-a-vis the puppets in the Baltic, so what I've posted earlier isn't infallible.
Without Ukraine Russia will be much weaker than OTL.
It would've been, yes. As it stands though, Russia's borders are roughly similar to those of the USSR pre-1939 (less bits of Belarus), so their resource base isn't too different.
Why would Japan want to spice things up in India? Isn't Japan currently allied to the British? And even if they are thinking of getting out of the alliance, it's not exactly in the interest of any imperial power to encourage colonial rebellions. (A successful rebellion in India would likely inspire independence activists in Korea and Indochina after all.)
Japan and Britain are allied, even if the Japanese are getting stronger while Britain's declining, and Tokyo has no real reason to try and destroy the Raj. As you say, Britain'd try and get Korea, Taiwan, and Indochina fired up and the IJN doesn't want to try its luck against the RN yet.
Actually, Nepal fought in ww1 otl with the entirety of its army even though they were branded as British colonial troops, throughout ww1. 2 Regiments were fighting even in France! The majority however fought against Turkey and in Africa. I see no mention to the contrary so Nepalese troops should have fought in Africa and the middle east ittl as well. Around 50,000 troops fought directly in the war otl. In 1916 the Law of Military Preparedness saw Nepal expand the army into 100,000 standing forces, and 20,000 reserves. By this point without a war, the number would have been reduced to 80,000 active troops and 30,000 reserves however. However the presence of 80,000 Nepalese veterans will throw a massive wrench into the plans. Around 150,000 Nepalese during this time were also a part of the Royal Gurkha Rifles which were placed in India and Burma during peacetime, making a grand total of 230,000 troops from Nepal available to fight for the British in India. Until the 1980s otl, Nepal also produced its own licensed weapons for the army, making them self-sufficient. In ww2, the Royal Nepalese Army actually supplied itself on the Burmese Front! Nepalese troops had been present during the 1911 Xinhai Revolution in Tibet, and would be especially beneficial for Britain to use them to clear out the Himalayas.

The Bhutanese Themselves also had an army of around 9,000 veterans during this time.

Needless to say the Brits already have around ~240,000 friendly troops in North India. Well-armed and well-trained and veterans as well.

If Britain can take advantage of this, then Britain is still within the game. Much of India during this time had the manpower, but did not have the equipment or experience. Coupled with Loyalist regions like the Central Provinces, Assam, Manipur, Arunachal, Nagaland, Tripura, Burma etc the British are still within the game.
Thanks for that, I'll retcon the numbers! Let's say a quarter of a million Brits in India plus 75,000 coming over from this new update, 80,000 Nepalese/Bhutanese combined.
Wow, that's actually a lot! I imagine the princely states are throwing in something as well.
Thanks for giving me those numbers.
We also have to think about Japan. I have no doubt that they're doing their part to spice things up.
Actually, they're not. India's a long way away and the Japanese have enough on their plate as is in Indochina. No one in Tokyo wants to go to war with Britain right now or even make a real enemy out of London.
I completely forgot about them
See chapter 14, I think, for an update.

Thank you to everyone for reading and commenting! We should have an update tomorrow!

Thanks for that, I'll retcon the numbers! Let's say a quarter of a million Brits in India plus 75,000 coming over from this new update, 80,000 Nepalese/Bhutanese combined.
Wow, that's actually a lot! I imagine the princely states are throwing in something as well.
Thanks for giving me those numbers.
I would like to point out that according to the 1912 agreement between Tibet and Nepal for the period between 1912 - 1937, Nepal and Tibet were military allies. Tibet would have to join the war as well, if Nepal activates the alliance.

I wonder how the Americans will react to the continuing Japanese expansion.
It will come as a shock, for sure. While we can see the butterflies, people in TTL are shocked by Japan's audacity in trying to just steal Indochina like that... and even more shocked by their skill and success! Unfortunately, this means that the Japanese are swelling with their Victory Disease....
I would like to point out that according to the 1912 agreement between Tibet and Nepal for the period between 1912 - 1937, Nepal and Tibet were military allies. Tibet would have to join the war as well, if Nepal activates the alliance.
And so Tibet will be in! How many troops (roughly) would they be providing?