• West and East Galicia. It was called the Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria. So why not call the Polish half Galicia, and the Ukrainian half Lodomeria. ...
Because of history.
This part of the habsburgian empire was formerly the principality and later kingdom of "Halych-Volhynia" composed out of the principalities of "Halytsch" and "Wolodymyr (aka Wolhynia)". Thereby "Halytsch" or "Halych" or ... after some language shifts meeting german and polish in their course becoming "Galicia".
And with this name "Galicia and Lodomeria" large parts changed their owners over history - polish-lithunian-polishlithunian-polish-hungarian-polish-eventuall austrian/habsburgian.

Thereby the "volhynian" aka galician part was the more southern south-eastern aka (more) ukrainian part.
Lodomeria was actualy the more northern polish part.

Nah, no one wanted serbia, no one, if anything once the occupation is over, they will put a loyal monarch house and put serbia back his own business.
Hmmm, ... what about this heritage of the loins of Kind Milan I. Obrenovic` ? ... as kind of reinstitution of the "good ol' " Obrevonic' hause ? Might be some easy to control "monarch" ?

1917 means another thing, the late FF oldest daugther will become of legal age and next year Max will be of 16...Willy II will push his original plan...Solve the E-L mess and naming both as the Duchess of Eltass and Great Duke of Lothrigen respectly as Willy II wanted, as he considered those two not have a proper noble title a travesty
Interesting, ... what's your source for this ?

Last edited:
Because of history.
This part of the habsburgian empire was formerly the principality and later kingdom of "Halych-Volhynia" composed out of the principalities of "Halytsch" and "Wolodymyr (aka Wolhynia)". Thereby "Halytsch" or "Halych" or ... after some language shifts meeting german and polish in their course becoming "Galicia".
And with this name "Galicia and Lodomeria" large parts changed their owners over history - polish-lithunian-polishlithunian-polish-hungarian-polish-eventuall austrian/habsburgian.

Thereby the "volhynian" aka galician part was the more southern south-eastern aka (more) ukrainian part.
Lodomeria was actualy the more northern polish part.

My mistake. Why not call the the Polish half Lodomaria and the Ukrainian Galicia then? Better than the more boring East and West Galicia names.

I understand why Hungary did what they did at the emotional level, but their actions are beyond idiotic all the same. They're essentially starting a civil war because they're upset that other states in Danubia are getting the same privilege's that they had exclusively beforehand. I don't envy their propaganda experts trying to spin this one. Karl is very popular right now and merely has to give the word and thousands of Austrians, Czechs, Slovakians, etc will rise up to join the new imperial banner to put Hungary back into their place.

Seriously I can already see the political cartoons depicting Hungary as a loud and spoiled brat walking away from the "Danubian family" with his ball because he now has to share it with the rest of his ethnic "siblings."

And even if Hungary got what they wanted and gained their independence, where will they go? Germany sure as hell won't bat from them since they need Danubian support to secure their new imperials holdings in eastern Europe. Russia will be apathetic at best because of their own domestic woes. Romania and Bulgaria? These two might help but they're middling powers with Danubia, Germany and Russia breathing down their necks. I don't see the former Entente really caring either way as they're currently drowning in problems and will not want to add "wading into eastern European politics" into their current agendas.

Other posters already brought this up that Hungary's timing is also terrible.

Hungary's best option was to just deal with the situation for a few years and wait for another crisis to start (like a worldwide depression?) before calling it quits and leaving. The rise of Danubian patriotism would have died down by then and maybe a controlled divorce agreement could have been made to make the separation as painless as possible. But no, Hungary had to start a huge tantrum and leave at the worst possible moment. Now they will almost certainly be invaded and brought back into the fold by force.

If Karl is smart, he will punish the surviving Hungarian nobility with such huge astronomical fines that they will be brought down to financial ruin and be forced to sell off their lands to avoid prison sentences.

The catholic emperor has to make it abundantly clear to the rest of the empire that insurrection will not be tolerated. The massive constitution reform was the Carrot, and dealing with Hungary will be a great way to show off the Stick.

Hungary might get lose a letter, though this onjly works in English. If Danubia simply interdicts the place, they might lose the A in Hungary.

Damn Hungary even went Republic. At the very least separating as a kingdom and offering a Foreigner the crown MIGHT have helped them get atleast one ally.

@Kaiser Wilhelm the Tenth Why was Austria demoted from an Empire to a Kingdom and not an Archduchy. Austria historically never was a kingdom and I would imagine that the prestige of being the only Archduchy in the world currently and ever to have existed, would mean they would not "settle" for a kingdom (I could very much be mistaken, though, as a kingdom might be seen as more prestigious). Furthermore, I think that Danubian Empire does not work very well, because it does not really translate. Maybe instead you could use United Empire of the Danube or Greater Austrian Empire. Otherwise fantastic chapter although such an outcome would have (sadly) been rather unlikely, due to the immense amount of treaties as mentioned above by @NoMommsen .

However, keep up the good work, you're doing an amazing job of creating a unique and mostly realistic timeline. I'm truly impressed.

EDIT: Also, the chains shown in the coat of arms in the latest chapter are an addition of 1945, added to connote the breaking free of fascism (read Nazi-Germany). Prior to 1945 the same eagle sans broken chains was used. The hammer and sickle were post WW1 additions and were not used before 1918, I believe; instead the eagle held the imperial apple and a sword.

Last edited:
@Kaiser Wilhelm the Tenth Why was Austria demoted from an Empire to a Kingdom and not an Archduchy. Austria historically never was a kingdom and I would imagine that the prestige of being the only Archduchy in the world currently and ever to have existed, would mean they would not "settle" for a kingdom (I could very much be mistaken, though, as a kingdom might be seen as more prestigious). Furthermore, I think that Danubian Empire does not work very well, because it does not really translate. Maybe instead you could use United Empire of the Danube or Greater Austrian Empire. Otherwise fantastic chapter although such an outcome would have (sadly) been rather unlikely, due to the immense amount of treaties as mentioned above by @NoMommsen .

However, keep up the good work, you're doing an amazing job of creating a unique and mostly realistic timeline. I'm truly impressed.

EDIT: Also, the chains shown in the coat of arms in the latest chapter are an addition of 1945, added to connote the breaking free of fascism (read Nazi-Germany). Prior to 1945 the same eagle sans broken chains was used. The hammer and sickle were post WW1 additions and were not used before 1918, I believe; instead the eagle held the imperial apple and a sword.

Alright, very well. I'll retcon it to "United Empire of the Danube" and call Austria an Archduchy- but I still think "Danubia" would be a common shorthand ITTL, at least in the Anglophone world.

I will try to fix the flag, but graphics aren't my strong suit.

Thanks for commenting!

:)

Ficboy

Banned
Also it’s a name pretty unique to the timeline itself.
Danubia has got a nice ring to it. If Hungary is successful in breaking away from the new nation (which I doubt it will ever happen) then it would weaken it and probably might inspire similar secession albeit less successful.

I think this map show better the different ethnic borders

1601765381269.png

Ficboy

Banned
It won't be pretty. And btw, I haven't forgotten about Istvan Tisza- I have a plan for him and there's a reason I haven't mentioned him thus far.
Someday Austria-Hungary might be destroyed Yugoslavia-style especially under the worst of circumstances like ethnic tensions and a weak leader. I would put this hypothetical collapse at around the 1930s or 1940s depending on how things play out. The Ottoman Empire is slightly more likely to fall apart given that they have a substantial Arab minority just itching to break away from the Turks.