Man Russia never gets a break. Not a big fan neither the reds or republicans. If I was fighting in this mess I probably be throwing my lot in with a Lost cause/ Romanov until the bitter end.

Either way the upcoming civil war going to be messy. Hopefully someone at least gets Lenin before it's over.

Wildlife

Banned
What cause the independence revolts in the Caucasus and other parts of Russia except for Georgia to fail so fast since OTL they were only defeated in1920?

So rereading recently and may I say that in alot of ways Gustav strikes me as basically Willy 2 boogalo. Vocal as hell, and very nationalistic in a way which I imagine that other nations would not appreciate
Leaving Xenia or Lvov alive was considered too risky. What if, deciding she's going to die regardless of what she does, she sends out a last message to the Russian people, saying "this is absolutely illegal, you have a duty from God to resist"? That would've been a bloody disaster...
Fair enough, of course you could correct that by simply having her sign a piece of paper while threatening for one of the daughters to have a tragic accident by the stairs but that wouldn’t buy you too much advantage besides the initial confusion.

Will say in my rereading I also discovered another thing: The Bolsheviks are most certainly not going to take control, if this is allowed to happen:
Tatiana defied the many suitors she found in Germany, and moved to Vladivostok in 1927, where she spent her last forty-three years in a convent.

Vladivastok could be an independent state, or part of one. After all, why should she go *there* to be in a convent if she had options?

Nah, a revolutionary bullet for every single Romanov.
Well, we know that isn't happening in canon so... Not really sure what the point of this post is, except to prove that you seem to like encouraging vicious punishment of innocent women and children.

#atsaristbulletforeverybolshevik. /s

Well, we know that isn't happening in canon so... Not really sure what the point of this post is, except to prove that you seem to like encouraging vicious punishment of innocent women and children.

#atsaristbulletforeverybolshevik. /s
I have more pity for the Russians masses who starved to death for generations to feed these parasites (the Romanovs + the nobility).

Kerensky will attempt to execute certain Romanovs who might pose a threat, as claimants to the throne. Sending out orders that Grand Duke So-and-so or Prince So-and-so are wanted men, dead or alive, is very different from a Stalin-style purge of anyone and everyone. For example, women and minors are excluded from Kerensky's hitlist.
I have more pity for the Russians masses who starved to death for generations to feed these parasites (the Romanovs + the nobility).
As do I. It's always those on the bottom who suffer most....

The nobility is very rarely solely or even mostly responsible for famines when they happen. There's a thousand and twelve other things going on behind every famine in history. But sure, let's be reductive about it and say that some random woman who just happened to be born as a child into a royal family absolutely deserves to be shot for the hypothetical 'deliberate starving' of her family.

Suuuure. Nothing wrong with that logic at *all*

The nobility is very rarely solely or even mostly responsible for famines when they happen. There's a thousand and twelve other things going on behind every famine in history. But sure, let's be reductive about it and say that some random woman who just happened to be born as a child into a royal family absolutely deserves to be shot for the hypothetical 'deliberate starving' of her family.

Suuuure. Nothing wrong with that logic at *all*
Are you familiar with Amartya Sen's work on famines? At least over the past couple of centuries, peacetime famines basically never have involved there actually not being enough food (or resources with which to buy food) to keep people alive, and so they basically don't happen in democratic countries (where governments would face voter backlash). They only happen in undemocratic societies, when the people starving aren't part of the power base the government relies on to maintain control. So, yes, the nobility is mostly responsible for people starving.

Slavery/Serfdom had long been abolished since the mid 19th century.
This is roughly fifty years before WW1, not so long ago.
Nobility lording over peasants is entirely different from owning slaves.
It's better to be a peasant in Russian than an outright slave in a Dixie plantation, but this doesn't change the fact that living as a peasant in Russia exposed you to very precarious conditions and abuses at the hand of the nobility, that could somehow be compared to some forms of slavery.

Last edited:
There's a part of me that wants to joke, after dozens of KR Russia runs, that all you need is infantry equipment and mass assault doctrine to win.
I mean (I could be wrong) but didn't some Chinese divisons OTL in WW2 only have swords and old rifles? Lets go Republican Russian divisons with ancient bolt actions and swords :p

(And +50 Mass Assault research)

Are you familiar with Amartya Sen's work on famines? At least over the past couple of centuries, peacetime famines basically never have involved there actually not being enough food (or resources with which to buy food) to keep people alive, and so they basically don't happen in democratic countries (where governments would face voter backlash). They only happen in undemocratic societies, when the people starving aren't part of the power base the government relies on to maintain control. So, yes, the nobility is mostly responsible for people starving.
I'm very familiar with the fact that food distribution is the bigger problem in peacetime - though again, it's infinitely more complicated than that because there's also this thing called weather among other factors- but even the man-made blame is much, much more complicated than just 'the nobility are deliberately starving the peasants' or even 'the nobles are eating all the food'. There's a lot of people in the food and food production supply chain, and the Tsars tried repeatedly to modernize Russia's food productive to solve these sorts of problem.

It was the fucking villages that kept Russian agriculture mired.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Nah, a revolutionary bullet for every single Romanov.
Endorsing the murder of a teenage girl and 13 year old boy with a terminal illness because they picked the wrong parents ...oh, ya, they had nothing to do with who their parents were... isn't exactly a good look.

Just sayin'

There's a part of me that wants to joke, after dozens of KR Russia runs, that all you need is infantry equipment and mass assault doctrine to win.
I'm not a KR man so I can't vouch for or against that... but in Supremacy 1914 and Axis and Allies (my strategy games of choice) infantry alone are good for a, being massacred to protect useful stuff like artillery and tanks (especially where fortifications are concerned) or b, being massacred and ensuring that the infantry-alone attack fails miserably.

But then, OTL Russian tactics in the Real World would probably disagree...
I mean (I could be wrong) but didn't some Chinese divisons OTL in WW2 only have swords and old rifles? Lets go Republican Russian divisons with ancient bolt actions and swords :p

(And +50 Mass Assault research)
Yeah, pre-Communist Chinese armies were kind of a mess (and even then, the 1979 invasion of Vietnam proves they weren't great then). Part of the reason their morale was so Godawful.

The Russians have always had mass assault research... it's just what they do...

With regards to the mass murder of noblemen or lack thereof, I'll just say this: the Bolsheviks did it in OTL but even if he won Kerensky wouldn't. It's crossing something of a line for him (Lenin and the others are less moral).

Also: I'm a frequent reader of the Kick and Ban Notices thread, and I distinctly remember at least one person getting banned in the TL A Day in July for advocating exactly this. While you guys are at liberty to discuss whatever you wish in the comments-- I enjoyed the discussions on the War of 1812 and Soviet blockade of Finland- I don't want anybody getting in trouble here.

I'm not a KR man so I can't vouch for or against that... but in Supremacy 1914 and Axis and Allies (my strategy games of choice) infantry alone are good for a, being massacred to protect useful stuff like artillery and tanks (especially where fortifications are concerned) or b, being massacred and ensuring that the infantry-alone attack fails miserably.

But then, OTL Russian tactics in the Real World would probably disagree...

Yeah, pre-Communist Chinese armies were kind of a mess (and even then, the 1979 invasion of Vietnam proves they weren't great then). Part of the reason their morale was so Godawful.

The Russians have always had mass assault research... it's just what they do...
Infantry only not working in A&A? You obviously just didn't try hard enough!