Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, isn't the whole Thanksgiving thing associated with the New England Pilgrims?

So in terms of mythology and whatnot, American Thanksgiving would be considerably different from OTL. And without the people suggesting Thanksgiving as a replacement for Christmas, I can see Christmas going further.

I think you could do very interesting things with this America indeed.

(missed this. I hate myself sometimes)

Thanksgiving is indeed rooted in the Pilgrim tradition. It exists in both Canada and the United States, but they are much smaller and just sort of a "fall festival" of sorts to celebrate the harvest. It does not take on the same mythic "most important holiday" symbolism it does in New England.

Thinking on it, I could see Christmas being a bit larger in the United States. I am unsure, honestly. I'm going to do more research and touch on Christmas in North America at another point in time. For right now, I will maintain that it is a smaller holiday in general and that there is no real dominate holiday in the later part of the year for North Americans, with the exception of New England, which has the mythos around Thanksgiving.

@Kanan: Who are the people most talked up at present for the 2020 USA election? Any celebrities? :p

Currently, on the Social Labor side:

Senator Hillary Clinton (New York)
Senator Madeline Rogero (East Tennessee)
Secretary of Labor Richard Trumka (Pennsylvania)
Governor Donald Trump (New Jersey)
Senator Katy Tang (Hamilton)
Governor Tim Ryan (Ohio)

National:

President Marco Rubio (Cuba)
Governor Francisco García (Salado)
Fmr. Governor Chris Christie (New Jersey)
Senator Ed Royce (California)
Senator Charlie Baker (New York)
Representative Joe Manchin (Virginia)

I am wondering how many Labour->Conservative voters there will be in this race and would be fascinated to see some sort of analysis after this race. With Carbone as a respectable and honorable woman and good face for the party while unemployment and housing prices rise and other economic markers, from what you have shown, deteriorate in New England and Carbone comes in with a new, forward-thinking plan that reforms social insurance and overhauls infrastructure, it seems like it could be a bit of a realigning election--at least for a time--with some of the Labour areas ending up getting split between SD and Labour while big surges in Conservative voting surges past and gives them victories, perhaps, outside their usual strongpoints in a fictional repeat of the recent Ontario elections that saw PC soar to huge majority

Honestly I'm more interesting in this election than quite a few real life ones. I may look into seeing if I can use some of my new QGIS skills for mapping this when it's done. :D

For now, my prediction is not just a Conservative win, but one that is going to define Conservative government for some time to come as non-Conservative votes are too split in opposition and seats get rolled over with a blue tide.

Conservatives.png

Last edited:
I am wondering how many Labour->Conservative voters there will be in this race and would be fascinated to see some sort of analysis after this race. With Carbone as a respectable and honorable woman and good face for the party while unemployment and housing prices rise and other economic markers, from what you have shown, deteriorate in New England and Carbone comes in with a new, forward-thinking plan that reforms social insurance and overhauls infrastructure, it seems like it could be a bit of a realigning election--at least for a time--with some of the Labour areas ending up getting split between SD and Labour while big surges in Conservative voting surges past and gives them victories, perhaps, outside their usual strongpoints in a fictional repeat of the recent Ontario elections that saw PC soar to huge majority

Honestly I'm more interesting in this election than quite a few real life ones. I may look into seeing if I can use some of my new QGIS skills for mapping this when it's done. :D

There's a pretty big polarisation happening with Sanders' splitting of the Labour Party. The traditional unionist/leftists have abandoned the party for the SDP which has unfortunately alienated Labour's traditional appeal, the union of Suburban and Urban voters under a more moderate platform. The Conservatives (a stretch to call them that given New England's prevailing ideology slanting to the left) have always mopped up the rural and right-wing factions but has long been dominated by the pragmatic and centrist "business" wing of the party that has never given much thought to the "hot button" social issues we know of (LGBTQ+ Rights, Abortion, ect.) and instead the main social issues are those surrounding Education, Equality between rural/urban, cities/towns. More importantly, economic issues have always been a dominating factor in New England. The business wing of the Conservatives have always maintained that lower taxes, overall, and a reformation of the welfare state (UBI is something that is not unheard of in the Conservative caucus) should be the main avenues of growth, while Labour has contended that taxes should forever be highly progressive (remember, most of your income in New England is untaxed up to about 10,000 pounds - but the top income tax rate is 90%) and that the welfare state is an unshakable pillar of New England society.

Then Bernie came along with not just a wrecking ball, but an entire wrecking crew.

A bit off topic but has Jacinda Adern made an impact in kiwi politics since becoming leader. And how has the country reacted to her pregnancy

Yes, that is rather along the lines of what I've been thinking and got from what you've told us about the TL, so it makes sense and fits with that vision. Without the hot button social issues it makes sense that one could see a lot more people willing to change parties and move away from one they feel discomforted by, especially one they feel no longer fits the interests of New England. The hot button issues being education and equality between the rural/urban areas also seems to really fit the Conservatives since they have that national education program going on as well as that big win even while out of government about local government and all that happened recently in the Senate, which I imagine are big pluses among voters.

With Bernie, he really does strike me as someone who could lead the Conservatives and Carbone to a generation-defining win due to the intense vote-splitting this seems like it could cause. If what you say is true, it doesn't seem like many Labour voters will be willing to join rans with SDP's rather more radical plan that rips apart their coalition, and this runs into the troubles that the Liberals and NDP have had in Canada at the federal levels and various lefty parties have had at the provincial levels (or on the right, see Alberta in 2015). Combine that with Carbone's movement by polling being rather popular and it seems like a recipe for a lot of otherwise unassailable seats being ripe for the taking when SDP and Labour turn 50-40 Non-Conservative vs Conservative to 40 Conservative - 30 SDP - 20 Labour and just like that the seat is in Carbone's government. Maybe I'm over-analyzing this, but this TL is one of the few that's so detailed I feel comfortable going into this much analysis over it and, well, it's fun. :biggrin:

Philip

Donor
Are the poll tracker graphics all Photoshop or is there something else in there. I'm particularly interested in the seat projection bars.

VT45

Banned
I just realised that the proper invention of the restaurant as we know it took place following the French Revolution. Did d that get butterflied at all?

Yes, that is rather along the lines of what I've been thinking and got from what you've told us about the TL, so it makes sense and fits with that vision. Without the hot button social issues it makes sense that one could see a lot more people willing to change parties and move away from one they feel discomforted by, especially one they feel no longer fits the interests of New England. The hot button issues being education and equality between the rural/urban areas also seems to really fit the Conservatives since they have that national education program going on as well as that big win even while out of government about local government and all that happened recently in the Senate, which I imagine are big pluses among voters.

With Bernie, he really does strike me as someone who could lead the Conservatives and Carbone to a generation-defining win due to the intense vote-splitting this seems like it could cause. If what you say is true, it doesn't seem like many Labour voters will be willing to join rans with SDP's rather more radical plan that rips apart their coalition, and this runs into the troubles that the Liberals and NDP have had in Canada at the federal levels and various lefty parties have had at the provincial levels (or on the right, see Alberta in 2015). Combine that with Carbone's movement by polling being rather popular and it seems like a recipe for a lot of otherwise unassailable seats being ripe for the taking when SDP and Labour turn 50-40 Non-Conservative vs Conservative to 40 Conservative - 30 SDP - 20 Labour and just like that the seat is in Carbone's government. Maybe I'm over-analyzing this, but this TL is one of the few that's so detailed I feel comfortable going into this much analysis over it and, well, it's fun. :biggrin:

I'm super glad you think it's fun! It's actually kinda fascinating to be reading political analysis of New England without having wrote it first, it kind of makes it even more real for me. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll have a lot more to pick apart as I get back into the swing of things from my annoying sojourn up into Canada and actually get myself on the campaign trail.

There's so much I've missed! I hope to begin offering daily snippets and insights to Campaign 2018 as it unfolds. Our first big milestone is the 30 June Leaders Debate...

Are the poll tracker graphics all Photoshop or is there something else in there. I'm particularly interested in the seat projection bars.

All Photoshop. The bars are done manually.

I just realised that the proper invention of the restaurant as we know it took place following the French Revolution. Did d that get butterflied at all?

Nope! Restaurants are alive and well.

I wonder what will happen after the GE though. Will Carbone's government face difficulties from the SocDems maybe and eventually take power in afewyearsifthistimelinestillexiststhen...? (if she does win, which I think is definite she would.) I bet the timeline will get better like it has been over the 6ish months that it's had a thread, and then before that for those two or so years that it sorta had a thread but things were WAY different.

Well, from what I can tell Kanan bases it on the CBC poll tracker, like the one used for the recent Ontario election, though hers is modified and so well done it's amazing as its own work. :)

This is correct! The inspiration came from that, as is evident, but the rest was done by me in Photoshop. I have a template that I update each time I post it.

I wonder what will happen after the GE though. Will Carbone's government face difficulties from the SocDems maybe and eventually take power in afewyearsifthistimelinestillexiststhen...? (if she does win, which I think is definite she would.) I bet the timeline will get better like it has been over the 6ish months that it's had a thread, and then before that for those two or so years that it sorta had a thread but things were WAY different.

Considering the current projections, I find it dubious to believe any Tory government will have difficulties with a minor party like the SDP.

Well unless there was no early Dutch colonisation of the Hudson Valley, the Americans do have their Sinterklaas tradition to base their Christmas on

Dutch colonisation of the Hudson Valley is still there. In fact, the southern border of Adirondack not defined by the Mohawk River is defined by the old Manor of Rensselaerswyck. Dutch heritage is very much alive.

Your guide has been helpful thank you!
Also now I kind of want to rewrite The Handmaid's Tale but set in this New England...

You're welcome!

I've never read it, but it might be interesting to see it in New England style.

Thought'd I ask 2 questions about the world and all that

1. Whats Putin doing?

2. Can we learn a bit more about Israel?

Vladimir Putin is a KGB agent.

If I have time I will touch on Israel.

With a lead this big, I'm guessing that the Conservatives will still somehow lose.

You really are jaded from the Canadian election, aren't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.