Status
Not open for further replies.
LXIII: Yamato's Death (3/44)
LXIII: Yamato’s Death, March 1944

Alabama was just the first of many. Less than a quarter of an hour after the crew of the Alabama was ordered to abandon ship, Ise became the first major Japanese loss for the day. The Fuso, damaged in the first American attack of the four-day battle, soon became the second. Before the hour was out, Yamamoto was informed of a third loss: the US Marines had conquered the island of Dublon, including the vital fuel stores there. Truk’s fate was now sealed. As American fire rained down on the Musashi, Yamamoto wondered if his was too.

At 0715, Yamamoto was surprised when he received word of an order from the Emperor, directing him back to the Home Islands, “immediately and without regard to the present situation of the battle with the Americans”. The first order that he had received in many months upset the grand admiral, who still believed victory lay within reach. As long as the rain continued, leaving the Musashi was impossible, so Yamamoto took the opportunity to explain his strategy for the rest of the battle to Vice Admiral Keizo Komura, the Musashi’s captain and man Yamamoto trusted to carry the Combined Fleet to victory.
Barely fifteen minutes later, the rain stopped for the first time since the middle of the night, and Yamamoto headed for his transport back to Japan. The F1M2 (“Pete”) scout plane was one of the few Japanese aircraft to survive the battle, and now admiral and Emperor were relying on it to do so again. As he got into the cockpit, he yelled out to the sailors on the Musashi’s deck, undeterred by the gunfire and noise of battle. “By following this order to leave, I am doing my duty to the Emperor. I trust that you will do yours. Banzai!”. Mere seconds after the scout plane was catapulted into the air, a massive explosion rocked the Musashi. Yamamoto’s first thought was that if he could fly out of the battle, American bombers could fly into it.

Spruance was ordering his bombers to do just that. The trip from carrier to the battleships was just a forty minute journey, enough time for the Japanese to reduce the Massachusetts to a crippled wreck and an abandon ship order to go out. Then it would be bombs, not water, that would rain down on the Imperial Navy. Aside from the Yamashiro and a handful of destroyers, Japan had nothing to oppose the aerial onslaught, and those destroyers were quickly being picked off as more American cruisers joined the battle.
As the largest and least damaged Japanese ships, Shinano and Yamato would suffer the brunt of the new American attacks. Yamato, already damaged from fighting off three different American battleships throughout the morning, suffered a further six torpedo and nine bomb hits, developing a dramatic list to port in the process. Shinano was recorded as being hit by no fewer than twenty-two bombs and twelve torpedoes, before a fire spread to an ammunition store. A great explosion shattered the ship, which was doomed to capsize just minutes later. A combination of surface gunfire and Helldiver bombs destroyed the Musashi not long afterwards.
The bombing efforts further damaged the Mutsu’s steering system, ruining the recent work that had allowed the ship to join the battle in the first place. The ship’s captain, Teruhiko Miyoshi, decided that repairing it now would be impossible, and was sure that the ship would be destroyed in a matter of hours. Admiral Komura had died on board the Musashi, leaving no-one to oppose any orders Miyoshi gave. Miyoshi ordered the ship accelerate to full speed, and would continue on the current course until he rammed the ship into the American lines. He had no hope of retreat, and not enough fuel to reach any Japanese owned bases. If the Mutsu was going to die, it was going to take as many Americans down with it as it could. As the Mutsu steamed to the southwest, an American submarine destroyed the Yamashiro, the only other Japanese capital ship still afloat.
Unsurprisingly, a battleship heading straight for their lines at 24 knots alarmed the Americans, and every gun within range was pointed towards the Mutsu as quickly as they could be aimed in that direction. Bombers were vectored towards the “battleship gone mad”, while Mutsu pointed her guns at the nearest targets that could be found. The first of these was the light cruiser San Juan, which was sunk within a matter of minutes. Captain Miyoshi then directed his guns towards the heavy cruiser Boston, but the Mutsu’s rampage would be brought to an end before any more shells could be fired. The Indiana, which had fired the first shot of the day’s battle, would also fire the last.

The flight away from the decisive battle had been three hours of pure misery for Grand Admiral Yamamoto. Yamamoto had not wanted to abandon his men, especially not during the greatest battle the nation would ever be a part of. The order being directly from the Emperor made the situation easier to accept, but it did not improve his mood.
When the F1M2 landed on the Taiyo, Yamamoto was greeted with news from the decisive battle, sent by Komura as per his final order before departing. The news was terrible: virtually every ship that had been a part of the battle was destroyed, or looked certain to be when the radio on the Yamashiro was knocked out. The Taiyo and three destroyers were all that remained of a fleet that four days ago looked set to drive the Americans from the Pacific forever.
The Taiyo was on a course for Palau, where it would be able to pick up enough fuel to get back to Tokyo (Yamamoto thought it strange how plentiful the fuel supplies seemed now that his fleet had been destroyed). Further instructions, he was told, would await him there. Without a navy to fight with, he didn’t see the point. He would offer his resignation to the Emperor, and then he hoped that the new government would find a way to make peace before the Americans wrecked the Japanese Empire any further.

En route to Tokyo, Yamamoto found out that one of the sailors on board the Taiyo was none other than the grandson of the great Admiral Togo. Lieutenant Ryoichi Togo had been serving on the heavy cruiser Maya until that ship’s sinking near Fiji in late 1942, and had ended up with duties on the light carrier sometime afterwards. The two quickly formed a strong friendship, which greatly helped pass the time.
“Your grandfather was a great man.” Yamamoto said one day, as the Taiyo neared Tokyo.
“You are a great man too.” Togo replied. “My grandfather would be proud.”
Yamamoto could not help thinking that he had spent the last three years fighting as if it were the Russo-Japanese War all over again. He had been using the senior Togo’s strategy all this time, only he had failed. If only the Americans had not been so feeble as the Tsar had been...
“I really hope so.” Yamamoto said at last.

- BNC

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
USS Indiana
USS Alabama
USS Massachusetts
USS New Jersey
-
IJN Fuso
IJN Yamashiro
IJN Mutsu
IJN Yamato
IJN Musashi
IJN Shinano

The American battleships have:
Good radar and good optics.
Good guns and fire control.
Good armour and mediocre torpedo protection.
36 16" guns.

The Japanese battleships:
An odd mixture of heavy superdreadnoughts, a fast battleship and three superbattleships.
Poor radar but very good optics.
Good guns and average fire control.
Poor armour metallurgy, relatively good TDS.
Numbers of hulls and numbers of guns.
12 + 12 + 8 + 9 + 9 +9 = 59 guns.

Problems:
USN battle line starts outnumbered and in a bad position and has already got a ship foundering.
IJN battle line is low on fuel and about to eat a pretty big airstrike.
Will the triples A,B,X of the Yamatos and the USN battleships cause confusion and friendly fire?

Prediction:
USN wins but not one of their battleships sees service this side of serious repairs. I expect New Jersey to be able to break off action and retire at speed but that the others are going to eat some fairly serious shellfire and either limp off and survive, limp off and founder or be scuttled, or eat some Long Lances.
IJN gutted. Only battleships which may survive are the superbattleships. The superdreadnoughts go bye-bye.

Think you missed out Ise.

So basically, the Japs just got bitch slapped into oblivion? This was like if Leyte Gulf was done right on the American Side, a complete massacre.

LXIII: Yamato’s Death, March 1944

En route to Tokyo, Yamamoto found out that one of the sailors on board the Taiyo was none other than the grandson of the great Admiral Togo. Lieutenant Ryoichi Togo had been serving on the heavy cruiser Maya until that ship’s sinking near Fiji in late 1942, and had ended up with duties on the light carrier sometime afterwards. The two quickly formed a strong friendship, which greatly helped pass the time.
“Your grandfather was a great man.” Yamamoto said one day, as the Taiyo neared Tokyo.
“You are a great man too.” Togo replied. “My grandfather would be proud.”
Yamamoto could not help thinking that he had spent the last three years fighting as if it were the Russo-Japanese War all over again. He had been using the senior Togo’s strategy all this time, only he had failed. If only the Americans had not been so feeble as the Tsar had been...
“I really hope so.” Yamamoto said at last.

- BNC

Exellent writing. Hope more is to come. Please have the Taiyo survive as long as it takes for Yamamoto to reach the emperor

So, what is left of the IJN at this point?
A few CVLs that aren't able to carry enough planes to be useful, a bunch of destroyers and submarines, and the ships still in construction. Or put simply, nothing that's very useful.

Exellent writing. Hope more is to come. Please have the Taiyo survive as long as it takes for Yamamoto to reach the emperor
Glad you liked it! There is one more update left, where I will reveal Yamamoto's eventual fate :)

- BNC

Last edited:
Also, considering the Haruna seemed to vanish into thin air, being only mentioned once IIRC, maybe it had an unfortunate magazine explosion ala Mutsu IOTL?

LXIV: Sunset (4/44-8/45)
LXIV: Sunset, April 1944

Yamamoto’s voyage back to Japan was slow and relatively uneventful. The Taiyo could only manage 21 knots at top speed, and would spent most of the trip cruising at something less than that. The Americans intercepted Yamamoto’s message that he had made it to Palau and attempted to send a group of submarines to sink the Taiyo, but they proved unable to locate the carrier before it could reach the safety of Tokyo Bay.
Once ashore, he went straight to the Imperial Palace, offering his resignation to the Emperor. The Emperor was surprised by this, as he had hoped to keep Yamamoto around as an adviser in the war’s later stages. “No-one in this country understands our enemies the way you do,” the Emperor explained, but Yamamoto was insistent. Reluctantly, the Emperor eventually accepted the resignation. In his memoirs, Yamamoto wrote that “I believe the only reason His Majesty accepted my resignation at all was because he hoped that it would deter the Army from causing the Navy any further trouble”. No comment on the issue has ever been released by the Imperial Palace.
He would write to the Emperor several times, responding to requests for advice as the Americans closed in on Japan, but otherwise his war was over. The rest of his life would be marked by a deep depression, that only got worse as the consequences of his failure during the decisive battle became ever more apparent.

August 1945

The meeting of the Imperial General Headquarters felt as though a dark cloud hung over it. A mushroom cloud, the Emperor thought. This was the second of those cruel city-killing bombs that the Americans had used in less than a week. Everyone had thought that the first, which destroyed Kokura, was nothing more than an engineering fluke. Now it was clear that the Americans had many more of these weapons. This emergency meeting had been called to work out what to do about them.
Everyone had seen this day coming for a very long time. The decisive battle, or the Battle of Truk as it would be known to history, had resulted in a Japanese defeat, and in a war decided by who controlled the seas, Japan was now doomed to lose. After Yamamoto’s resignation, Admiral Mikawa had become the sole commander of any importance within the IJN, but as he had practically no ships, he was quickly sidelined by those who could still offer forces to fight the Americans and British, the Chinese and now the Soviets. General Terauchi managed to keep the IJA’s radicals from causing too much trouble, but even moderates in the Army had no interest in surrender. Offers of conditional peace were rejected by the Americans, so the Army boldly claimed that it could win the war where the Navy had failed.
One by one, the island possessions fell. Truk had been finished off in the days following the decisive battle. In the summer, the Marianas had fallen quickly and Palau had been next, although the latter battle proved much bloodier for the Americans than any previous. MacArthur had followed that effort by retaking the Philippines in an extremely dramatic fashion. Then Iwo Jima and Okinawa, two islands whose names would be forever written in blood. Every island brought more bombings to the Home Islands, while the Army was determined to fight on.
The latest victim of the bombing, the Emperor realised, was the Army’s greatest rival. Admiral Yamamoto had been living in Nagasaki since the middle of 1944, and now Nagasaki was not much more than a giant poisonous crater. Four days ago, the grand admiral had sent the Emperor a copy of his memoirs. They were titled Decisive Battle, 1904-1944, and one only needed to read the first line to understand two of the most important wars in Japanese history, one that marked the rise of the Japanese Empire, the other that had become its downfall.

It can take years to win a war. Mere days are needed to lose one.”

“You shouldn’t have dragged the Army into Melanesia!” One particularly angry general was shouting. “If Yamamoto hadn’t insisted on wasting men there, we would have been able to use those men to stop the Americans from landing in New Guinea!”
The Emperor sympathised with Admiral Mikawa, who had been listening to the generals for the better part of an hour.
“What are your plans to stop them now, General?” Mikawa finally snapped back.
The general stood up proudly, as if he had been waiting to be asked that exact question. “We shall fight them in a decisive battle on the beaches of Kyushu. If they think they can impose their will on the Japanese people, let them fight for every inch of ground!” he boomed.
We’ve already fought a decisive battle.” Mikawa pointed out. “That solved nothing.”
“Only because you didn’t have the determination to succeed. Yamamoto left in the middle of battle.” The general said. “I can assure you the Army has the determination needed to win this struggle.”
Admiral Mikawa coughed, not believing a word of what the general was saying.
“If you do not believe us, allow us to prove it to you by transferring us control of your remaining ships. We have a plan, what we call ‘Cherry Blossoms at Night’, that can deliver us ultimate victory. All we need are your submarines and enough fuel to cross the Pacific.”
The Emperor recognised the name. It belonged to one of the most insane plans he had ever been told about, and after the last four years that was saying something. Some Army official had come up with the idea to fill a squadron of aircraft with a sort of plague, carry them on board submarines, then launch them at the West Coast of the United States. Even if the fuel could be found, all it would do is invite the Americans to retaliate with plague bombs of their own.

“Enough!” the Emperor commanded. “There will be no more mention of that plan.”
The general looked back at him in shock, weighing up in his mind his respect for the Emperor against his will to continue the fight.
“We must end this war immediately.” the Emperor said. “Neither the Army nor Navy has delivered on their many promises of victory. The Americans drop these terrible bombs, the Russians have betrayed us and there won’t be enough of a rice crop to see through the winter. What more do you need to convince you that the fight is lost?”
No-one spoke. No-one dared to.
“Inform the Americans of our desire to surrender immediately.” the Emperor ordered. “I fear that the age of the decisive battle has finally passed.”

THE END

- BNC

An unexpected end for Yamamoto. I would have liked to see what would happen to him post-war.
I had been expecting the end of the TL since the resolution of the battle, but your writing leaves me wanting more. Will there be an epilogue or post-war snippets? I'd love to see what happens to the admirals and generals in this TL.

Damn, so despite all this MacArthur still invaded the Philippines? Did Manila get damaged as badly in the fighting?

What happened to the very few IJN ships that survived the Decisive Battle? Heck, WAS there anything larger than a light cruiser (aside from Taiyo) remaining? Did they take part in any further actions? I don't think there was enough left afloat for a suicidal rush like OTL Ten-Go to be seriously considered.

IIRC in OTL Japan really ramped up production of Kaiboukan from april '44 onwards, which is after the TTL decisive battle. Did Japan in TTL keep building them in a futile effort to defend convoys?

Also, considering the Haruna seemed to vanish into thin air, being only mentioned once IIRC, maybe it had an unfortunate magazine explosion ala Mutsu IOTL?
I presume it or Kongo was one of the two battleships that went down with Nagumo, along with Hyuga.

Thanks for your hard work in crafting this story for us BNC!

I presume it was one of the two battleships that went down with Nagumo, along with Hyuga.

AFAIK, Haruna wasn't even mentioned in the lead-up to the Decisive Battle:

So, I take it the "like" for the post suggesting Haruna had a magazine explosion at port like Mutsu IOTL indicates that it is canon, @BiteNibbleChomp?
That's right

An unexpected end for Yamamoto. I would have liked to see what would happen to him post-war.
If he does survive the war, at minimum he's going to be getting a few years in prison for planning Pearl Harbour. His reputation in the story works better if he's gone before the judges can get him.

Will there be an epilogue or post-war snippets? I'd love to see what happens to the admirals and generals in this TL.
Most likely not, just because post-war there aren't a lot of major divergences (and the ones that exist aren't interesting enough to write massive updates on). When planning this TL out initially I had the idea of "the more that changes, the more that stays the same", and particularly post-war I think that still fits.
As for generals, if I dind't mention it already, Doihara hangs for sure. A lot of other figures have committed seppuku.

Damn, so despite all this MacArthur still invaded the Philippines? Did Manila get damaged as badly in the fighting?
Manila was only lightly damaged :)

What happened to the very few IJN ships that survived the Decisive Battle? Heck, WAS there anything larger than a light cruiser (aside from Taiyo) remaining? Did they take part in any further actions? I don't think there was enough left afloat for a suicidal rush like OTL Ten-Go to be seriously considered.
Mutsu (and really the entire 2nd half of the decisive battle) was the suicidal rush. Other IJN vessels mostly got sunk in port. Taiyo survived the war and became a museum ship.
There may have been a few old ships that survived the battle (IIRC Japan still had some pre-1914 stuff hanging around), but they didn't play any part in the late part of the war. There's no fuel to spare and no chance of success anyway.

IIRC in OTL Japan really ramped up production of Kaiboukan from april '44 onwards, which is after the TTL decisive battle. Did Japan in TTL keep building them in a futile effort to defend convoys?
They built a few, but there wasn't really any fuel left to use them much. Most of the steel and other raw materials was diverted to the Army once Yamamoto's defeat was known by the IJA.

I presume it was one of the two battleships that went down with Nagumo, along with Hyuga.
That was Kongo.

I had been expecting the end of the TL since the resolution of the battle, but your writing leaves me wanting more.
Thanks for reading it! Glad you enjoyed the story :) :)

- BNC

Status
Not open for further replies.