Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing that Kamikaze attacks on US ships continued similar to OTL after this battle?

Taiyo survived the war and became a museum ship.
While it's always nice to see a museum ship carrier that isn't American-built, I'm surprised she is allowed to keep existing, being the largest surviving part of the IJN. What led to her being preserved, and is she kept in American or Japanese waters?

Very nice timeline and I have enjoyed reading quite a bit however, I somewhat feel like the ending was a bit rushed and anti-climactic. I feel like there could have been a lot more description for a few events such a final "grand battleship engagement".

Regardless, congrats on the successful timeline.

Last edited:
First time poster, long time listener. Loved the timeline! One request: Could you post a list of the battles of this timeline along with the ship losses per battle on either side? Thanks!

I'm guessing that Kamikaze attacks on US ships continued similar to OTL after this battle?
Correct

While it's always nice to see a museum ship carrier that isn't American-built, I'm surprised she is allowed to keep existing, being the largest surviving part of the IJN. What led to her being preserved, and is she kept in American or Japanese waters?
Japan had a few other CVLs still around after the decisive battle, so the Taiyo is hardly a standout target, nor is it really valuable enough to make a particular effort to destroy at least as long as it remains in port. Makes it through the war by being in a port that doesn't get bombed too much, and then some Navy fellow decides that it is a good prize to take for the victory. Japan doesn't have a navy anymore, so they won't miss it.
After it is inspected by the Navy for any potential technologies that could be used by the USN (which obviously they don't find any), someone decides that they can make a quick buck from showing people the carrier that survived the IJN's destruction (and that's one more buck than they would get from dropping a nuke on it). At that point, the Taiyo's rather exciting story is enough to keep people coming in.
It is kept on the US West Coast, but occasionally people debate returning it to Japan.

congrats on the successful timeline.
Congrats on finishing the TL.
Loved the timeline!
I liked the reference to Falling Cherry Blossom.
Many thanks!

One request: Could you post a list of the battles of this timeline along with the ship losses per battle on either side? Thanks!
These should be the major sea battles (some ships were lost during landing attempts as well, which can be found in those operations' threadmarks). Hopefully I didn't miss anything:
BattleDateOutcomeIJN LossesUSN Losses
Coral Sea (Threadmark I)May 4-5, 1942Japanese VictorySmall ships only2 CV (Lexington, Yorktown)
Kandavu Passage (Threadmark VIII)July 30, 1942Japanese Victory1 DD2 RNZN CL, 2 DD
Samoa (Threadmark XIII)August 24, 1942Allied Victory1 CV (Zuikaku), 5 DDNo warships
New Caledonia (Threadmark XXI)October 23, 1942Inconclusive1 CV (Soryu), 3 CA, several DD2 CV heavily damaged, 1 CL, several DD
South Pacific (Threadmark XXIV-XXVI)November 15, 1942Japanese Victory1 CVL (Zuiho), 1 BB, several DD2 CV (Enterprise, Wasp), 2 BB, 2 CA, several DD
Truk/"Decisive Battle" (Threadmark LVII-LXIII)March 17-20, 1944Allied Victory6 CV, 4 CVL, 10 BB, 7 CA, 2 CL, ~40 DD2 CV, 4 CVL, 1 CVE, 2 BB, 1 CA, several CL, ~15 DD

- BNC

Question: Was my idea for how Haruna got the Mutsu treatment (accidental magazine explosion at port) what you were thinking all along for what happened to the Haruna or were you thinking the Haruna got torpedoed?

Question: Was my idea for how Haruna got the Mutsu treatment (accidental magazine explosion at port) what you were thinking all along for what happened to the Haruna or were you thinking the Haruna got torpedoed?
It fell out of my notes at some point, so I just forgot that the ship ever existed. Exploding in port is as good an explanation for its disappearance as anything I might have come up with, so why not? ;)

- BNC

Any ideas on what your next timeline will be about?
I won't be starting another timeline for a good few months at least - it's a big project and my life has gotten rather busy recently.
That said, I would like to do something about Patton serving in the Korean war at some point, and I've put some notes together to that effect.
Another thought is a surviving/more stable Timurid state in the 1400s, though I would want to do a lot more research on that before trying to turn it into a TL.

Who knows what the future holds? :)

- BNC

I take it, with the loss of Big Mamie in 1944, in 1964 we see the New Orleans-class cruiser USS Quincy become the figurehead of Cruiser Cove in Fall River, MA, being one of the last two heavy cruisers preserved in the world?

You smashed my expectations with that anticlimatic destruction of the IJN! :p, though Yamamoto's death was (IMO) very sad, i understand your reasoning...I wonder, is Yamamoto (majorly) viewed any different than OTL?

Anyway, Great TL!

I wonder, is Yamamoto (majorly) viewed any different than OTL?
His reputation ITTL is about as good as an Axis leader's can be. He doesn't have the stain of Midway, but has several victories in its place (the Fiji invasion and the defeat of Halsey in particular). Even in his worst defeat (Truk) it is hard to see where he made any clear mistake (possibly dividing the fleet, but most would blame that not working on Nagumo not having a proper CAP up). His memoirs would also have an important effect - although they were not published until after the war, they were written before, making it harder to argue that they were pushing a 'clean army' narrative the way many German memoirs have been accused of doing (that's not to say he completely avoided doing so - I very much doubt Yamamoto would disagree if one told him that it was Japan's destiny to rule over the Chinese after all).
Historians may look back on his career and question his "unmatched brilliance", but most who know anything about him would just think he was American's most dangerous opponent at sea.

Anyway, Great TL!
Thanks for reading!

- BNC

Hi everyone!

Voting for the Turtledove awards has opened. If you have enjoyed this story, please consider supporting it there :) All votes will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again for being a part of the TL,

- BNC

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
Hi everyone!

Voting for the Turtledove awards has opened. If you have enjoyed this story, please consider supporting it there :) All votes will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again for being a part of the TL,

- BNC

Done with pleasure!

Status
Not open for further replies.