Hey folks! I'd like to apologize for the extended radio silence on my part. Between school, other projects (which included submitting a short story of mine for possible publication in an anthology!), and just dealing with life, I haven't been able to respond here or work on OPAS for a while. I'll try to go through and answer questions later tonight and this weekend if I've got the energy for it, though I can't guarantee anything.

Anyway, on to some more pertinent things. First things first, I'd like to thank @Laserfish and @andry2806 for nominating Of Poets and Supermen for a Turtledove, it's greatly appreciated and I'm touched that folks consider my scribblings worthy of recognition, despite my inactivity. Anyone who wants to vote for me should do so here. I'd also like to give a shout-out to @Time Enough for providing encouragement and plenty of ideas for the British aspects of the timeline over DMs on the Sealion Press forums, he's a great lad and writer who's also nominated for a Turtledove or two, which you can vote for here and here.

Next, while I can't say when I'll be done with the next chapter (on Carnarism, natch), seeing as how there's plenty I need to write, I'm still planning on getting around to it eventually. In the meantime however, I do have a treat for y'all. It's a short story, set in the wider world of OPAS, called Springtime in Berlin, and you can read it right now! It's a little bit further ahead in the timeline, being set in Berlin in 1934, but it touches on an area of the world that I've only hinted at before: Germany. It's totally optional to read—though the protagonist of it will also appear in future chapters of OPAS—but I hope those of you who choose to do so enjoy reading it! Cheers!

Hey folks! I'd like to apologize for the extended radio silence on my part. Between school, other projects (which included submitting a short story of mine for possible publication in an anthology!), and just dealing with life, I haven't been able to respond here or work on OPAS for a while. I'll try to go through and answer questions later tonight and this weekend if I've got the energy for it, though I can't guarantee anything.

Anyway, on to some more pertinent things. First things first, I'd like to thank @Laserfish and @andry2806 for nominating Of Poets and Supermen for a Turtledove, it's greatly appreciated and I'm touched that folks consider my scribblings worthy of recognition, despite my inactivity. Anyone who wants to vote for me should do so here. I'd also like to give a shout-out to @Time Enough for providing encouragement and plenty of ideas for the British aspects of the timeline over DMs on the Sealion Press forums, he's a great lad and writer who's also nominated for a Turtledove or two, which you can vote for here and here.

Next, while I can't say when I'll be done with the next chapter (on Carnarism, natch), seeing as how there's plenty I need to write, I'm still planning on getting around to it eventually. In the meantime however, I do have a treat for y'all. It's a short story, set in the wider world of OPAS, called Springtime in Berlin, and you can read it right now! It's a little bit further ahead in the timeline, being set in Berlin in 1934, but it touches on an area of the world that I've only hinted at before: Germany. It's totally optional to read—though the protagonist of it will also appear in future chapters of OPAS—but I hope those of you who choose to do so enjoy reading it! Cheers!
It is so nice to hear news once more! I give my thanks for your thanks! Good work does need to be recognized after all. I have also voted for you in the Turtledove's, as you directed us to do so. Please, take your time and live your life as you need to, we can all wait! Once again, I do have some questions that I can wait to be asked, but I will post the previous ones here so that you do not need to look through the thread, even if they are just one page from the current one.

1. Unless you intend to have a separate chapter for them, what sort of foreign volunteers are fighting for the Carnarists?
2. What will be the views on the LGBTQ+ community in Carnarist Italy? I understand if a separate chapter is better suited for it, but even the basics will be nice. Since the Commandant himself has had some unique carnal experiences, I don't think he'll be that much inclined to crack down on people of queer orientation, unless he has to make some concessions to appease the more conservative factions.
3. And lastly, what will be the view on individuals of biracial and multi-ethnic descent? I can imagine Mondelli as a good figure to combat racism, though it will divisive to some in the Civil Rights Movement (Marcus Garvey likely won't be happy when he finds out Mondelli was a result of "miscegenation").

Along with those such ones, I also have two ideas, if they may be considered and thought over. The first one is the extension of the life of Georges Sorel. As Sorel was influential with such actions as philosophizing on the power of myth, supporting and defending the Bolsheviks, and having an interest in the early fascist movement, having his outlook and reaction to the Italian Civil War and specifically his thoughts on the Carnarists and the Communists would be interesting. The man was stated to be an influence on Mussolini after all. He died in 1922, when the war is already occurring, so I don't think it odd that he would live to see the end of the war before the end of him. The second is that D'Annunzio name his new country something with Roman in it. Like "Roman Free State", "Roman National State", "Roman National Republic", or something like that. In my opinion, D'Annunzio would not pass up on the chance to indulge on a little fantasy or dream of his, ridiculous it may seem or be. That, and that one of my OC's that is in development is from Provence, with his family being native to the region and of Tuscan origin, with his mother being a Berber/North African. As such, hearing him quip, " I'm part Roman, part Carthaginian, and part Occitan." would be priceless.

Last edited:
50gsg0.jpg

Soon...

So, I have many ideas and thoughts I want to share, yet I was unsure on how to share them. So, I decided to use what I was familiar with. On the Writer's Forum I have made a thread where I will share my ideas and the like using both the style of narrative exposition and narrative story, if you get what I mean. I've already made an introduction on there that explains some points I would like to make, but I've put some of the more important ones down here.

• Everything on there is non-canon and is fan content.
  • Persephone is allowed permission to use my ideas or ideas inspired by my ideas, they have my full permission.
  • All that is asked is that I receive credit and/or acknowledgement for my own ideas.​
Those are the important ones I'm pretty sure. I know I probably should have asked for permission from Perse, but I was excited and wanted to put my ideas before they were lost. So sorry Perse, and I hope my ideas are good!

Here's the link! ---> Link!

Last edited:
A Case for Rome or: Gabriele D'Annunzio indulges himself much to the dismay and horror of the spirit of Hannibal and the ruins of Carthage

Rome in all three of its forms (Republic, Empire, and Byzantine) has been held up as a dominant pillar in human civilization, and for good reasons. For this post however, I will not be discussing these reasons. Rather, I would like to explain why in my eyes that the name of the D'Annuzian state should include the title of "Roman". There will be little professionalism, merely only the entertaining ramblings of a partially madcap amateur author. So, where must we begin? I believe first should be my preferred titles for Carnarist Italy.

1. Roman Third/Fourth/Fifth Republic

But Laserfish, I hear you say, everyone knows that there was only one Roman Republic. Well guess again! Turns out that there were several who claimed the title. In the year 1144 an Italian patrician by the name of Giordano Pierleoni led a rebellion in an attempt to reestablish a republican form of government. They set up a system similarly modeled after the ancient Roman Republic. Their sovereignty, named the Commune of Rome, lasted until 1193, surprisingly long for such an audacious experiment. The next one which bore the title of Roman Republic was from 1798 to 1800. This iteration was a client state to Napoleon's regime in France. As can be expected, this meant it was very unpopular with the Italian people, which helped contribute to and accelerate its downfall. The last one so far was during the Risorgimento. It was the shortest lived, lasting only several months, but it was also the most radical. For example, it was the first country in the world to abolish capital punishment in its constitutional law.

This now leaves us the question on which state to declare its successor. There were four Roman Republics to build upon. (Original, Commune, Napoleon, Risorgimento). Well, in my eyes, the Commune of Rome would be disavowed, likely due to the fact that fighting against
communists and the French Commune aren't going to go over well with many people. The Napoleonic version might also be disavowed by D'Annunzio, since it was an obvious puppet state made to serve French interests, and that wouldn't sit well with Nationalists. I believe that D'Annunzio would see the Risorgimento-era Roman Republic as the one he is succeeding, as it was perhaps the only one whose ideals even closely resembled the Commandant's own. So, in my eyes, the succession would go (1)Ancient---> (2)Risorgimento---> (3)Carnarist.

2. Roman National/Free State/Republic

The "National" part is a bit obvious thanks to the nationalists who founded it, with their nationalist thought and such. So really, it's self explanatory. The "Free" part is due to the fact that Carnarists legitimately believe that their system of government is the most free on Earth, as said in a previous post by Persephone. So naturally, you want to show off how free your nation is. Course, states that have had the term were often less free than they proclaimed (For example, the Irish Free State being a Dominion of the British Empire), but this is one instance where the freedom in question might be genuine. Now, calling your sovereign nation a "State" or "Republic" is pretty par for the course, so there's nothing too unique about it. What is unique about it to me is that it may show whether Carnarism and its adherents lean towards more autocratic or democratic forms of radicalism. Possibly, since for now many things are up in the air, and this is merely part suggestion, part personal opinion, and part musing.

So, why the term Roman? Well, as stated before, Rome was the pinnacle of Italian (Technically, since Romans were different than what would be considered Italian) dominance in all ways. It would be natural to proclaim a rebirth of one of the greatest periods of Italian and European history for the greatest country with the greatest political system. Plus, Romans weren't uniformly ethnically Latin. There were Illyrians, Gauls, Celts, Greeks, Persians, Palestinians, North Africans, and more that were under Roman control. As it is quite obvious that as Italian nationalists the Carnarists seek to expand and cement Italian/Roman control and influence across the Mediterranean sea and region, that perhaps to smooth over the likely hostile relations they would seek to encourage their new subjects to look back to a shared glorious past. "You do not have to be an Italian to be a Roman." They would say. "You may be a Croat, but so was Diocletian!" Showing that several great Romans were from diverse territories of the Empire may spread a message. "We're not biased towards Italians (mostly), for anyone of any ethnicity can prove themselves a member of the Roman people!" The term "Roman" would be a unifying umbrella term of sorts where anyone could prove themselves a part of Italian Carnarist society. This might even blend into the Nietschean concepts of Übermensch and the whole Superhumanism that will play a important part in this story. Possibly, as everything is still in the works, as said before.

So, the last point is on whether or not the madlad D'Annunzio would allow this to happen. In my opinion, it would be a resounding yes. As stated before in this thread, he practically worshiped the concept of beauty itself. And what could be more beautiful to an Italian nationalists than a Europe ruled from Italia itself? However, this brings up the issue on the Byzantine Empire, as it was the legitimate continuations after the fall of the west, and it became primarily Greek in nature. How they would try to deal with including Roman into their name when for a good chunk of history Roman became associated with something other than Greece would be interesting. D'Annunzio was an ambitious man, and letting a true once-in-a-lifetime chance slip on by would be anathema to a character of action like him. He marched with a private army into a little disputed port-city, and than reunified all of Italy with him as the leader of the successor state, reclaiming the title of Roman doesn't seem that unrealistic in this case, at least for me.

So in conclusion, Gabriele D'Annuzio is a chad with big dagger energy which would only expand if he did such a thing, the ancient skeletal remains of Hannibal would begin to spin at Mach 5 somewhere in the desert if such a thing was accomplished, and my personal opinions are passionate but amateur. Anyways, I hope you are well Perse, and hopefully there will be an update soon. Take your time though, we can wait for quality content.

Last edited:
Italian Civil War Victory Super Event Ideas: Part 1

So, on the first thread for TNO, there was one user who put down their imagined visualizations on the Russian Reunification super events. I thought those were really neat, and thanks to the popularity of super events thanks to TNO's introduction of them, I decided to do something similar. So, to both save these ideas and also to share them with the users of this website, I'll put down my ideas for OPAS super events here. As the ICW is currently the biggest happening in this story, along with it being where we currently left off, this'll be our main focus.

Sadly, I don't really have the means to make super events to share at the moment. Hopefully, I'll be able too in the near future, although if anyone wants to make one themselves, they have my permission to use these ideas. All that is asked is acknowledgment that my ideas were used with permission from myself. Again, just a simple acknowledgement that the ideas was originally mine is what I ask. With that out of the way, on we go to the ideas.

1. Carnarist Victory
It may perhaps be a bit more humble than ancient Rome, where the triumphs were the events legends were based on, but the spirit is still alive and well in the streets of The Eternal City even centuries afterwards. The crowds are roaring in ecstasy, for their salvation has come. Gabriele D'Annunzio, The Poet, The Prophet, the Commandant, the new Caesar, has done it. He cast his die, knowing that it was all or nothing, victory or death. And he won from that gamble of a lifetime everything. Now he stands as the most powerful man in Italy, riding on a majestic white stallion as he leads his legions in their triumph like the emperors of old would. The flags are held high, like the standards of legions past. The Arditi march with iron discipline, though the joy radiating from them is contagious. Immediately next to D'Annunzio are his inner circle, proudly and happily waving to the cheering masses.

It starts with one soldier, then his company, and soon it seems the entire city is belting out the lyrics of Il Canto degli Arditi. From a private to the Prophet himself, they sing a song they have sung many times over the past few years. It is a joyous tune, bringing memories of comrades and battles to many a soul, and the emotion of the occasion brings emotion to many in the crowd and procession. As the last words of the chorus finish they arrive at the marches destination, and a chant begins to be called out. The Prophet stops his horse and turns around, prompting the procession to stop in their tracks. He pulls out a dagger from its sheath, and shouts out a war cry.
"Eja Eja!"
The legions of Arditi take out their own blades.
"Alalà!"
The soldiers begin to pump the arm holding the dagger up and down, in a style similar to the Roman salute.
"Eja Eja!"
D'Annunzio is holding his dagger raised up in the air like one would with a sword.
"Alalà!"
By now even those in the cheering crowds have begun to do it, hailing their leader enthusiastically and with great fervor

"Eja Eja!!!"
The steed raises itself high into the air, forelegs reaching for the sky, as Gabriele grips it's reins tightly with one hand, the other holding his dagger directed upwards into the heavens. In this moment, looking as if he's telling the Heavens above that it is next, it feels like he could face and lead the people of Rome against God, and win.
"Alalà!!!"

The super event in question would have a picture of a triumphant celebration or the like. To be honest, I have gotten down mainly the wording and visualization of the super events, not the pictures for them. the quote would be: “Everything was coveted and everything was tried. What was not done I dreamed and so much was the ardor that the dream equaled the act." I think that would be very fitting of this dream state that D'Annunzio and crew will strive to create. As for the one liner, originally I though of: "Eja Eja Alalà!", but since I decided for using it in the super event, I decided to go with something else.
I decided to go with the motto "Quis Contra Nos?" It means "Who is against us?", but with the victory I feel it would take on a different manner. The Carnarists might say it with an air of smug triumph, as in "Who
is against us?", knowing full well that everyone against them has been defeated, fled, or dead by their own hand or others. Is it cruel? A bit so, but they just won a civil war and view themselves as the saviors of Italy, so of course they'll have quite a bit of pride in themselves and their achievements.

For the audio, it will start off with the sound of cheering, with the chorus of Il Canto degli Arditi playing alongside the cheering. As the chorus finishes, a chant of Eja Eja Alalà will sound off the audio, probably with editing to make it seem that it's a whole crowd of soldiers and civilians chanting it. Along with the mass chants will be a singer who sings the chant in an operatic way. The sound editing may be tricky, but I'm willing to learn.

2. Communist Victory (Mussolini)
The revolution has come to The Eternal City, and the workers and laborers of Italy are rejoicing in its streets. A triumphant procession of revolutionaries march victoriously. They are dressed in anything from army fatigues to civilian clothing. The only thing that really shows they're on the same side is the red armbands that they proudly wear. They have sung many songs, from The Internationale to traditional workers songs. For now though, they march along singing La Guardia Rossa, happy in knowing that they stand as the vanguard for the next front in the world revolution.

Marching in front of the soldiers and the leader of it all is Benito Mussolini, his inner circle walking in steady step right next to or behind him. Everyone know he's in charge, and he could not be any happier in knowing that he is both all powerful and able to reshape Italian society according to his own revolutionary and personal views. The crowd however, remain oblivious and unknowing of his ambitions for now. Later, in the future, they will all understand what he has planned.

Meanwhile, somewhere in the city away from the cheering crowds and the celebration of victory, several people are sitting at their tables. worry and anxiousness evident if not on their faces than in their eyes. These men had not followed the rest of their brethren. Instead of joining together to fight the reactionaries and Carnarists, they kept to the sidelines. Whether out of fear or some misplaced sense of pragmatism, they now almost unanimously regretted their decision. The spoils of victory could have been shared with them as well, and yet they had let the opportunity fly by. If that was just it, that would have been bad enough. Alas, their decision of inaction would mark them for a darker fate.

A knock on the door, harsh and rapping. The union bosses looked at the door with apprehension, each of them hesitant to walk over and open it. This hesitation only grew the louder and harder the knocks became. It couldn't have been more then half a minute, yet suddenly it stopped. One of them thought of running to go grab the shotgun he kept underneath his desk, yet he then remembered he had given it and the ammunition for it to his aide as a parting good luck gift for his leaving for the front. Internally he cursed himself for that act of charity, as it now seemed this act of charity would doom him. But then again, hadn't he doomed himself by refusing to contribute to the victory?

The door is then kicked down, and Ceka members begin to swarm them. One of the bosses tries to flee, but with a loud thud he is tackled onto the floor by one of the Ceka agents. Some of them try to fight back, but this results in them being knocked down and beaten. They are promptly thrown into the back of a truck after a minute or two of beatings. The terrified bosses shook and tried to stem the bleeding of those most seriously wounded, with the guards in the back keeping a cold eye on them. The view then rises above the truck and settles on the Great Synagogue of Rome, which is being ransacked by Ceka members, who are being led personally by Roberto Farinacci. Roberto smiles as he conducts an orchestra of chaotic destruction, a perfect example of smoking out Judeo-Capitalist conspirators, he thinks happily. The rabbi of the synagogue stumbles onto the ground, before getting onto his feet. Desperately, the man begs Roberto to stop the madness or at least stop them from hurting those trying to escape from the growing blazes. Roberto merely looks at a fellow Ceka officer in a smug way, before smashing his fist into the rabbi face.

Pan up into the black flames, which cut into the black uniform of Mussolini, who is now giving a fiery victory speech. Finishing up, he ends with a cry of "Long live the revolution!" before giving a Roman salute with a clenched fist. The crowd responds in kind. The corners of his mouth turn upwards in a satisfied smile.

The theme of this is that Mussolini is still Mussolini. He may be a communist, but his style of governing may have some close resemblances to how his Fascist regime went down in OTL. Course, with Mussolini now being part of a "Red Triumvirate", he's going to have to work a bit more for power, since not every communist will like him obviously, and we all know how pretty much every triumvirate has went down in history. There's a reason I included him doing an altered Roman salute. May not be subtle, but it works in this case, I guess. It can be also be understood that the Ceka and Roberto Farinacci are going to be a problem, what with his antisemitism and likely political intrigues like the NKVD/KGB did OTl.
Also, I feel that Mussolini won't take kindly to those unions which sat out of the fight. Not one bit.

So, as for the super event in question, I am again unsure about which picture to use, and really if anyone finds one they think would fit, that is fine by me. I also do not really know which one liner to use, so again, if anyone has any ideas, go ahead and contribute them. I do however know what quote to use. It will be this one: "Socialism has to remain a terrifying and a majestic thing. If we follow this line, we shall be able to face our enemies." I know it should probably say communism instead of socialism, but since it captures the feeling of the super event, I'm keeping it. I also think I know what the audio will be for the most part.

We begin with cheering, as is expected, with the singing of La Guardia Rossa as well. At first all seems well, yet in the background shots that are drowned out by the crowd and procession can be heard by the careful ear. Alongside the shots the sound of a door knocking can be heard, although again it is partially drowned out by the crowd. Suddenly, the sound of a door being kicked down interrupts the cheering and singing to a halt, as the sound of boots and physical struggle and resistance are heard, before that too is silenced by the sound of a revolver firing.

So, those are my ideas, I'll continue to imagine new ideas to try and fill in the missing parts, or make new ones. And the next part will cover three events. Can you guys try and guess which ones those are?

Last edited: