Of Discs and Drives - A Gaming TL

One (1991)

Deleted member 100251

One (1991)
8:59 6.1.91 Tokyo, Japan

The day had finally arrived. After months of waiting and developing, it was finally time. It was time to reveal a project almost finished, it was time, to reveal Project Mark 5.5, the SEGA-CD.

Lights came on for the booths, Hayao Nakamaya and Tom Kalinske strolled causally on in, ready to present the fine work that was Tomio Takami’s.

The doors open, and the first guests arrived, easily attracted to all of the new items inside the show - especially the SEGA-CD.

The 1991 Tokyo Toy Show had just begun, and it was to change gaming history.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 100251

I'm going to be trying something new here with this TL.
I hope you guys enjoy it, any questions?

Deleted member 100251

What's the status of Nintendo and Sony at this point of the timeline?
Their relationship is dissolving at the minute. With the Sega-CD grabbing attention, Nintendo is rushing to get their act together, so are leaning towards Philips. They don't want to waste time reconciling with Sony. This may be for the better or worst.

Their relationship is dissolving at the minute. With the Sega-CD grabbing attention, Nintendo is rushing to get their act together, so are leaning towards Philips. They don't want to waste time reconciling with Sony. This may be for the better or worst.
I'm wonder how the Nintendo/Phillips partnership will work out, and if the Super Nintendo CD is even released in TTL as opposed to OTL.

Deleted member 100251

I'm wonder how the Nintendo/Phillips partnership will work out, and if the Super Nintendo CD is even released in TTL as opposed to OTL.
Who knows, they might get a success too. Or they might rush, and fail. Sony's not going to be very happy though...

Two (1991)

Deleted member 100251

Two (1991)
The New York Times said:
New York, Thursday, August 8th, 1991​

“Nintendo v. Sony”
----------
Sony files lawsuit against Nintendo
----------

Two months ago, at the 1991 CES, Sony made the announcement of the “Play Station” a SNES-compatible console using both cartridges and CDs.
Just a day later, Nintendo and Philips made the shocking proclamation of a partnership, contradicting what Sony had pronounced a day before.

Sony filed a lawsuit against Nintendo, known as “Nintendo Co., Ltd. v. Sony Corp.” or “Nintendo v. Sony”
Their charges were based on the allegations that Nintendo had signed a contract with Sony, so that they were binded by law and that they had to accept that.

Deleted member 100251

Question. Do you guys want to know the SEGA-CD's tech specs before the big sega-cd update or during it?

Three (1991)

Deleted member 100251

Three (1991)

www.techandspecs.com said:
The SEGA-CD is a CD-ROM, CD+G playing add-on to the fourth generation Mega Drive/Genesis console.
CPU: (uses Mega Drive’s)
Sound: (uses Mega Drive’s)
Display: (uses Mega Drive’s)
Memory: 4 Mbit RAM
Media: CD-ROM, CD+G

www.segaretro.org said:
History
Development
Development began in 1990 by a team led by Tomio Takami, who was assigned with creating a cheap, high quality CD-ROM add-on for the Genesis. Meaning to counter the TurboGrafx-CD.
SEGA had partner with JVC to design the CD aspect of the system. But, after difficulties with designing the hardware, SEGA of Japan begrudgingly contacted SEGA of America for help. After NEC had raised the TurboGrafx-CD’s RAM from .5 Mbit to 3 Mbit, SEGA went two times more to 6 Mbit. SoA had brought it down to 4 Mbit to make it more cost effective.
The SEGA-CD also originally had its own CPU, Sound, and even a built-in DSP to allow for hardware scaling and rotation, all of which were also removed.
Launch Day
The SEGA-CD had originally launched in Japan under the name Mega-CD, on Thursday December 12th, 1991 for a price of 20,000 yen. Launch titles include of Sol-Feace, Heavy Nova, and Road Blaster. By the end of the week, it had sold 7,500 units.

www.IHeartGames.blog.com/SEGA_CD_japan_launch_titles said:
SEGA-CD
December 12, 1991
  • Sol-Feace: 8/10
  • Heavy Nova: 7/10
  • Road Blaster: 9/10
The SEGA-CD had a light launch in Japan, with pretty decent games. Road Blaster is the big one going for me.
Overall, I’d give the SEGA-CD’s launch in Japan a 8/10. Not that bad, but it could’ve done better.
The American launch on the other hand, that was a really memorable day for me.

So they decided to competed against NEC via price? yeah OTL Sega fumbled it a lot because the mega-cd was not strong to be his own console but was too expensive to be an add-on, if they can compete NEC via price would help, as the megadrive CPU was strong enough to do the work and even otl system was compromise with the bottlenecks of both megadrive cpu and gpu.

Deleted member 100251

So they decided to competed against NEC via price? yeah OTL Sega fumbled it a lot because the mega-cd was not strong to be his own console but was too expensive to be an add-on, if they can compete NEC via price would help, as the megadrive CPU was strong enough to do the work and even otl system was compromise with the bottlenecks of both megadrive cpu and gpu.
They definitely did. This time around the SEGA CD has a fighting chance :)
Its going to be a wild ride for SEGA from here on out. Nintendo's looking to join the party, so is Sony...