Nobunaga’s Ambition Realized: Dawn of a New Rising Sun

tbf ye I want Korea to be the counterweight to Japan and have Korea have Manchuria and bits of Siberia so Japan goes and colonises BC and Cali. Also with Korea focusing more on land while Japan focuses on the sea. I do wanna see Korea get through the Chinese Northern Plain at least once. Also Cantonia.
To be honest, I wanna see a dual empire similar to Austria-Hungary between China and Japan. It can make for a mother of all peace in the region, while still permitting for Japan and the more enterprising of the Chinese to look outwards, as opposed to a direct rule from x-jing/x-kyo would give.

Speaking of the "enterprising Chinese", the southern ethnicities are fast becoming Japanese just as much as they are Chinese thanks to their immigration towards Iriebashi and Luzon - and successfully integrating at that. I wonder what its implications will be for a Japanese claim to the Dragon Throne, even if it easily proves to be a weak one.

Last edited:
Total Japanese domination would be pretty boring IMO so I’d like to see Korea adapt and expand into at least some of Manchuria. Maybe have it as a contested region between them both.

I’m concerned cause of something a previous chapter said about Kanto autonomy and no Sankin-Kotai for Kanto daimyos
The Jin khanate founded by Nurhaci is still a significant force ITTL, just not the juggernaut it became IOTL. Also the Northern Yuan under Ligdan Khan is stronger ITTL and because of all this plus its mercantile-centric foreign policy Japan has no reason or desire to pursue expansion into Manchuria as of now (which also isn’t called Manchuria ITTL).

So the Kamakura Tandai and the Takigawa clan participate in the sankin kotai system, as does the Satake clan as Satake Yoshinobu is a member of the Sangi-shu. There is a regional sankin kotai in Kamakura for the other Kanto daimyo though.
I love the idea of a strong Korea and Canton
Though also you guys need of a "counterbalance" here is beyond me
Im perfectly fine with this being a full on Japan wank
I admit that the coverage of the Iberian-Japanese War has given off the image of a Japan wank, although had Antonio de Oquendo’s plan not been disrupted by Juan de Tabora’s death (which is the same as IOTL), Japan could’ve lost its gains in the Philippines and also Dutch and Maguindanao involvement is definitely diverting resources from the north.

That being said, obviously this TL benefits Japan but there will definitely be curveballs and challenges for the realm beyond the arcs of other countries and peoples. All I’m gonna say is that some things discussed in the 40+ replies to the most recent chapter (thank you for he huge support btw) may happen.

admit that the coverage of the Iberian-Japanese War has given off the image of a Japan wank
Oh dont worry, Im not going by the assumption that this TL is a Japan wank, albeit Im enjoying where it is doing better than OTL

I was just saying if it did went that route I would be completely fine with it, I dont think Japan has to play into any european balance of powers idea for the story to be good, but you dont have to go with that obviously

Im confident in your writing skills, you're great, and Im happy to be following you through this

That being said, obviously this TL benefits Japan but there will definitely be curveballs and challenges for the realm beyond the arcs of other countries and peoples. All I’m gonna say is that some things discussed in the 40+ replies to the most recent chapter (thank you for he huge support btw) may happen.
Tbf having Korea be able to change would make things very interesting and having them fight the Japanese on control over the lands of Siberia would be fun.

From the OP’s words it seems neither Korea or Japan will be getting Manchuria any time soon. Ah well I suppose that’s ok, Japanese Siberia ftw

From the OP’s words it seems neither Korea or Japan will be getting Manchuria any time soon. Ah well I suppose that’s ok, Japanese Siberia ftw
I think that's great as I think Japan's first priority should be the SEA not where they dump their convicts/Ronin.

It's more that a stronger Korea makes sense and is fun too.

Tbf I do wanna see Japan colonise the west coast tho which is done in the 19th century and allows Japan to get there before everyone else. But that's me only.

Last edited:
Tbf I do wanna see Japan colonise the west coast tho which is done in the 19th century and allows Japan to get there before everyone else. But that's me only.
I also want Japan on the west coast as well, I was thinking that once Japan start focusing in the Americas they could setup a sort of buffer nation with the Native Americans between them and the other Europeans.

I also want Japan on the west coast as well, I was thinking that once Japan start focusing in the Americas they could setup a sort of buffer nation with the Native Americans between them and the other Europeans.
Tbf vassalising a native state then the settlers go in does seem like Japan's way of doing things really. Considering that their navy is much stronger and their heartlands much closer I don't see why Japan shouldn't be as unsuccessful in colonising the west coast as Russia.

I think that's great as I think Japan's first priority should be the SEA not where they dump their convicts/Ronin.
They should populate and assimilate Taiwan, the Ryukyu, Hawaii, and Philippines(Firipin?) for sure.

Not sure how much further into SEA they could go in that way but they could deffo build a network of protectorates and alliances and maybe some Japanese majority exclaves like Singapore and the surrounding islands.

It's more that a stronger Korea makes sense and is fun too.
Tbch even if Korea doesn’t expand into Manchuria, a Yalu border Korea could still be very very strong if they modernise and innovate like Japan is.
What’s Alaska in Japanese I wonder?

Last edited:
Yeah, I agreed on what @Tertius711 said, since the west coast are already currently de facto under New Spain.

BTW, is there any country that recognized/do not dispute all of the Spanish possession in the Americas. If not, is there a possibility that an agreement regarding this be signed in the (eventual) peace treaty between the Japanese and the Spanish?

Yeah, I agreed on what @Tertius711 said, since the west coast are already currently de facto under New Spain.

BTW, is there any country that recognized/do not dispute all of the Spanish possession in the Americas. If not, is there a possibility that an agreement regarding this be signed in the (eventual) peace treaty between the Japanese and the Spanish?
Not really only California is Spain's and all of cascadia and Alaska isn't which is what I think Japan should colonise. Also that Spain didn't really colonise California well and it was really sparsely populated before the Americans. There's a reason why fort Ross could even exist. Spain really didn't attempt to colonise California until the 19th century and by that time the Americans also were moving in.
Not sure how much further into SEA they could go in that way but they could deffo build a network of protectorates and alliances and maybe some Japanese majority exclaves like Singapore and the surrounding islands.
Tbf I could see them usually hold otl Malaysia at least + Singapore.

Tbch even if Korea doesn’t expand into Manchuria, a Yalu border Korea could still be very very strong if they modernise and innovate like Japan is.
Yeah, I do think that Korea would want to expand further into Manchuria tho as it's biggest extent had them be in Manchuria, and when the jurchens become weak I could see Korea go for taking all of Manchuria.
1672574472946.png

What’s Alaska in Japanese I wonder?
Since Alaska comes from the aleut name for 'mainland' 'Arasuka' or 'Arasuha'.

Not really only California is Spain's and all of cascadia and Alaska isn't which is what I think Japan should colonise. Also that Spain didn't really colonise California well and it was really sparsely populated before the Americans. There's a reason why fort Ross could even exist. Spain really didn't attempt to colonise California until the 19th century and by that time the Americans also were moving in.
Yeah I was thinking Cascadia and Alaska myself and ofc Hawaii. Those already would be great.

Anyway in the 19th century it was really Mexico tbh not Spain. Spain was kicked out very fast.
Tbf I could see them usually hold otl Malaysia at least + Singapore.
Oh yeah I agree but the whole peninsula Majority Japanese? Not that plausible to me but I can see them becoming as large as the OTL Chinese minority, which was at one ooint
Yeah, I do think that Korea would want to expand further into Manchuria tho as it's biggest extent had them be in Manchuria, and when the jurchens become weak I could see Korea go for taking all of Manchuria.
View attachment 799754
Yeah that works.

Since Alaska comes from the aleut name for 'mainland' 'Arasuka' or 'Arasuha'.
Arasuka sounds cool. What about Kamchatka, and the Siberian coast? What would they be called you think? And I know they called Sakhalin Karafuto, what was their name for the Kurils?

Yeah I was thinking Cascadia and Alaska myself and ofc Hawaii. Those already would be great.

Anyway in the 19th century it was really Mexico tbh not Spain. Spain was kicked out very fast.
Ye but I'm not going to type Mexico/Spain every time. Also that Spain got to those borders much earlier than the 19th century and did nothing with them, and considering how they colonised I think it'd be the same ittl unless Mexico got independence in the late 1700s and immediately flooded mexicans into alta calafornia, so its a bit of a toss up. But if Manchuria is taken by the koreans Japan colonising America becomes a lot more possible.
Oh yeah I agree but the whole peninsula Majority Japanese? Not that plausible to me but I can see them becoming as large as the OTL Chinese minority, which was at one point
I was thinking of a network of dependencies and direct rule for those areas.

I'd think if those places ever become majority Japanese it'd be as a plurality with the Chinese against the Malays and most of the Japanese would be ppl who became Japanese speaking and would look more like Malays/Natives.
Arasuka sounds cool. What about Kamchatka, and the Siberian coast? What would they be called you think? And I know they called Sakhalin Karafuto, what was their name for the Kurils?
ngl I was just looking through wiki pages and seeing the Japanese translations for arasuka. tbf arasuha is closer to how the aluetians would say it. I do think the Japanese would give it another name tho. I could see the American colonies be called the 'Shinnaichi' for 'new heartlands' but really, idk. Maybe something like 'lands beyond the north sea'?

the japanese name for the kurils now is 'Chishima' which roughly translates to 'a thousand islands' with the connotation of it being a chain of islands. Maybe the Aleutians will be part of the Chishima islands ittl too. Idk about kamchatka as there're so many hypotheses for what its called. The Ainu were defo there tho and idk what the name is.

Author's Note: Happy New Year!!
明けましておめでとう!! Happy new year!! I wanna thank everyone from the bottom of my heart for reading and supporting the progress of this timeline. As the story crests over major developments in the power balance in the East, I look forward to continuing the progress of the story. Oda Nobunaga has always been a fascinating figure as out of the three Great Unifiers, only he was denied the chance of ruling over a united Japan yet he was in many ways so different from either Hideyoshi or Ieyasu, mostly his interest in the outside world to the point of wearing European clothing and drinking wine as well as pushing European military technology so hard and holding a desire to not just unite and rule but change the realm.

In the meantime, I'm curious about your thoughts on the timeline itself and what stands out the most to better inform me, so I made a poll accessible via the link if you can check it out: https://strawpoll.com/polls/7MZ0zeJQrno

As much as this timeline is for obvious reasons an Asia-centric timeline, the first chapter of 2023 will cover the raging conflicts in western and central Europe, particularly between the Dutch and Spanish.​

Last edited:
In the meantime, I'm curious about your thoughts on the timeline itself and what stands out the most to better inform me, so I made a poll accessible via the link if you can check it out: https://strawpoll.com/polls/7MZ0zeJQrno
I voted for the cultural and societal aspects of Japan but tbf the mix of Japanese colonial fortunes and seeing the changes that occur in Japan is what makes the tl fun.

PS: happy new year too! Your story is really good!

Last edited:
明けましておめでとう!! Happy new year!! I wanna thank everyone from the bottom of my heart for reading and supporting the progress of this timeline. As the story crests over major developments in the power balance in the East, I look forward to continuing the progress of the story. Oda Nobunaga has always been a fascinating figure as out of the three Great Unifiers, only he was denied the chance of ruling over a united Japan yet he was in many ways so different from either Hideyoshi or Ieyasu, mostly his interest in the outside world to the point of wearing European clothing and drinking wine as well as pushing European military technology so hard and holding a desire to not just unite and rule but change the realm.

As much as this timeline is for obvious reasons an Asia-centric timeline, the first chapter of 2023 will cover the raging conflicts in western and central Europe, particularly between the Dutch and Spanish.
Call me greedy...

but I'm simply dead interested in ALL these aspects!

Anyways, happy new year to you, too!