Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
But… America has nukes. And Alaska has gold and oil. If we’re still in the part of the show where nations annex land, shouldn’t Congress be itching for a rematch with Japan?
In this timeline, Japan wasn't forced to demilitarize, so they have quite a large military. Sure, they may eventually try to integrate Alaska as a state, but they have the Treaty with Japan to worry about. Also, they had gotten the nuke a little later than OTL, and while they did annex the land from Cuba and the Hispaniolan Alliance, that was the last of their expansionism, as sure, the Soviet Union was weaker, but they did eventually become stronger, and when they collapsed, they were about as strong as OTL WW2 Soviet Union, so the Cold War still occurred, with it being much more successful for America. America was just not focused on Japan and Alaska, as they have had more important issues than integrating 20,000 people in a frozen wasteland with only one purpose that America did not need it to be a state for: gold and oil.

Eventually, they may renounce the treaty preventing that, and Japan would do nothing, except maybe request for Taiwan back. That would be a Philippine issue, however.

tl;dr America outgrew their annexing phase after the Hispaniola War, when they got nukes. Also, Alaska was not worth a war with Japan. Maybe in the future, but not for a while yet.

Why TTL USA is so Catholic?
There was a wave of Catholic fervour that spread worldwide in the wake of the Ottoman and Chinese conversions that lead to increased non-ASB conversions worldwide as well. Also, I was using an OTL modern day religions M-BAM as one of my sources, according to which the USA is that Catholic OTL, though I'm not sure how accurate that is.

tl;dr America outgrew their annexing phase after the Hispaniola War, when they got nukes. Also, Alaska was not worth a war with Japan. Maybe in the future, but not for a while yet.
Cool, okay. Different, but okay. I still think it’s a bit implausible to get to this point, but once we’re here, your explanation makes sense.

But, it also may have originated in what is now North Macedonia.
No, it couldn't have. The region was occupied by the Kingdom of Paeonia, likely a Hellenized Illyro-Thracian tribal kingdom, before it was conquered by the Kingdom of Macedon far later on.
Greece, in my timeline, would prefer to let Bulgaria have thrace and get Macedonia.
The issue is that this tradeoff flies in the face of logic.

No, it couldn't have. The region was occupied by the Kingdom of Paeonia, likely a Hellenized Illyro-Thracian tribal kingdom, before it was conquered by the Kingdom of Macedon far later on.
I did not know that. Certainly need to do more research on that era, as I guess since my World History teacher likes POD better, he skips over that stuff. He just tells us about the region of Macedonia and make us write that on a map.
The issue is that this tradeoff flies in the face of logic.
Yeah, but sometimes illogical decisions are made by a government, such as the whole Splitting Germany and Splitting Berlin thing during the 1940s OTL. (This did not happen in this timeline.)

Neither of these were illogical
Alright, then how about attacking the United States whilst still being at war with China?

(and also, this entire argument is just based on difference of opinion, so we should probably stop, before one of our names appears in the Kick/Ban thread.)

Last edited:
Wonderful map but whenever I see Bulgaria, I can’t help but think of Kombaina Vršačka, that one humorous folk song that took over Balkan TikTok for a while.

So tell me, does this timeline include frogs playing guitars?
Since there are an infinite number of variations of events in the infinite multiverse, then yes. Chances are great.

So what dose the Americas, south africa and Oceania look like in this world?
South Africa is, surprise, English. Australia is divided between Brabant and Francia, New Zealand consists of local statelets, some of which are European protectorates.
America is... I was lazy to think about America. I imagine a bunch of post-colonial countries, some of which have already returned to the fold of the former overlords.

Nice Papers, Please aesthetic!
Thanks!

I like the new format, what happened to Japan? And how did Oman get territory on the other side of Africa?
Japan failed to cope with the challenges of history and shared the fate of India and Indonesia.
Oman was a colonial empire of the past too. During the original partition of Africa (in which many countries took part) it boldly laid claim to the Congo without permission, and Europe came to the conclusion that this was actually a good compromise that could resolve a couple of colonial crises.

Creative as always. That is (was) a bigass Poland.
Thanks a lot!

What's up with the parentheses around 'troubles'? Isn't that an antisemitic symbol?
No antisemitism here. Removed the parentheses just in case.

From the worldbuilding project, A Divided Shores:
3vZC7jn.png

Last edited:
We cut off their oil. They didn’t have much of a choice. I still agree that dismembering Germany was illogical, myself, but that’s the other side of that coin…
Okay, I guess they wanted Oil, but there were other places to get that, such as Saudi Arabia, or uh.... Australia.
That was an inherently logical decision dictated by Japanese supply constraints, growing American hostility, and opportunities in South East Asia following the fall of France and the Netherlands.
Then take advantage of those opportunities before you do something that could turn sour.

Status
Not open for further replies.