Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very cool! Yazid Egypt is entertainingly wild (although perhaps a trifle unlikely) and the notion of Greater Switzerland as the bastion of Latin paganism is just (chef's kiss). What brand of Islam is Isaviyanism, BTW? And how long did the Carolingian empire last that there are still fragments of it?

(Your style, if you don't mind me saying so, rather reminds me of @Goliath ...)
Thank you. I appreciate it.

As for your questions, Isaviyanism is a Khawarij offshoot that integrated certain Donatist practises such as ritual martyrdom and reveres Donatist leaders as Velis(Islamic saints)

For The Carolingian Empire, it has lasted until around 1200 A.D. but was less successful in spreading Christianity.

(Your style, if you don't mind me saying so, rather reminds me of @Goliath ...)
Why Thank you. Goliath Maps Deviantart was how I was first exposed to Alternate History Genre So I like that my style resembles his.

nWd11sQ.jpg

Map and Flags of the Continent of Europe and its Environs in N.S. 2020, 265 years after Corsican Independence

After nearly two centuries of war, the Continent of Europe has been at peace for the longest continuous period since the Bastille Saint-Antoine fell to the mobs of Paris and the world was forever changed. Greater degrees of economic interconnection flourish, even between the bitter rival hegemons of France and Britain. While the region is not uniformly peaceful, Europe is finally able to take a tentative step forward after centuries of bloodshed. Even the ideological barriers between the Traditionalist and Jacobin blocs have become hazier and hazier - peace and economic growth have bloomed into a virtuous cycle of political liberalization and the expansion of prosperity, albeit unequally.

Not all is perfect, mind you. Peasant revolts flare up periodically in Lithuania and Magyarstan, as they always seem to, and plenty of revanchist claims are officially professed in a number of capitals, threatening the shaky detente. Political rights remain limited in both Paris and London, albeit in different ways. Russia has clearly cast a hungry eye at a number of states which have gained independence in past conflicts. The memories of the Second Hundred Year's War nor the Great War have not yet wholly faded.

But, for perhaps the first time since that fateful July day, peace and hope may stand a chance to be victorious over violence and division. Only time will tell.

---

This is the first of a series of maps from my current yet-to-be-named timeline, finally published after something like a year of brainstorming, maps half-finished before being thrown out, and rewrites. I've decided to go about this continent by continent, with occasional diversions for separate regions, individual countries and particular historical events. At some point, if I continue long enough, I'll put it all in a thread for future development, but I don't want to put the carriage in front of the horse like I, and others, have in the past.

As this is still technically in the development stages, I welcome any and all questions and critiques y'all may have. I can only do so much on my own - asking questions and criticizing inaccurate or unreasonable ideas is the best way for me to work out the remaining kinks of the setting. Thanks!
Marvelous map, though I think Danzig would be larger, so that it includes the mouth of the Vistula. Then again, I suppose the HRE may have vetoed that, and told the Saxe-Poles to just sail a couple extra miles to their land. The flag and name of the Pyrenean Republic seems like... trying to remember the name of the timelines. Anyways, seems a bit communistic, though I am surprised it didn’t simply name itself Navarre or after the Basque. Though given the Royal and ethnic implications, I suppose they are instead naming it this, and will then just teach everyone there Basque, to better separate them permanently from the Spanish and French. Nice to see different sizes and ratios for some of these flags, as well as those flags with multiple flags in them. Strange the Roman Republic got to keep Avignon but not areas closer to home. Also nice those two Roman enclaves in Naples are indep- Ahhhh, I was a bit disappointed seeing one of them (Pontecorvo) a republic rather than being Swedish or an independent principality, but that was soon reversed seeing that Benevento is apparently the rump of the Papal States.

Had some spare time at school, so... the United States, but it manifested north instead of west.
View attachment 763652
Territorial Expansion:

1783: Following victory in the Revolutionary War, Great Britain recognises the independence of the United States, ceding all territory in Central North America east of the Mississippi River.

1791: Vermont joins the Union following the two countries making agreements for the former's admission.

1812: The United States defeats the United Kingdom in the War of 1812, annexing most of British North America.

1838: The US and UK sign the Hay-Herbert Treaty, delineating the boundaries between the United States and the British colony of Borealia. The eastern half of OTL Nunavut is ceded to the United States.

1850: Following victory of Denmark in the Greenland War, the US annexes the island of Greenland.

1945: The treaty of Happy Valley Goose Bay is signed to end the World war - one clause involves the admission of Iceland into the Union.

Marvelous map, though I think Danzig would be larger, so that it includes the mouth of the Vistula. Then again, I suppose the HRE may have vetoed that, and told the Saxe-Poles to just sail a couple extra miles to their land. The flag and name of the Pyrenean Republic seems like... trying to remember the name of the timelines. Anyways, seems a bit communistic, though I am surprised it didn’t simply name itself Navarre or after the Basque. Though given the Royal and ethnic implications, I suppose they are instead naming it this, and will then just teach everyone there Basque, to better separate them permanently from the Spanish and French. Nice to see different sizes and ratios for some of these flags, as well as those flags with multiple flags in them. Strange the Roman Republic got to keep Avignon but not areas closer to home. Also nice those two Roman enclaves in Naples are indep- Ahhhh, I was a bit disappointed seeing one of them (Pontecorvo) a republic rather than being Swedish or an independent principality, but that was soon reversed seeing that Benevento is apparently the rump of the Papal States.

Avignon was handed back to the Romans as a theoretical sign of good faith by First Citizen Varine, as part of a wider conciliation between France (officially secular, though the Cult of Reason remains popular in some upper echelons of power) and the Papacy.

However, the death of the pope not long aftee, and the rushed election of a French pope soon after, who just so happened to move to Avignon, soon enough resulted in allegations of improper influence and the election of another pope under the auspices of the Holy Roman Empire. The schism still stands, with most of Jacobin Europe recognizing Pope Felix VI (the "People's Pope") in Avignon, while most of Conservative Europe recognizes Pope Alexander IX. Most impartial observers regard Felix, and the new Avignon papacy, as a means by which Republican France can exercise effective control over Catholocism, a religion still held by many Frenchmen.

The Pyrenean Republic, like the Cisrhenian Republic, was named during a fad for "logicized" country names. Most residents refer to the country as Euskadi.

Danzig was a mistake on my part! It's supposed to be about 1:1 with the OTL Free State.

A Europe with five different active calendars. Must be an absolute nightmare.
It is! Calendar difficulties are a key part of why inter-bloc trade generally hasn't gone so well. Many French satellites utilize the Revolutionary Calendar, while the Gregorian calendar is used by most of Tory Europe. Russia is the main exception, still officially utilizing the Julian Calendar, though the Revolutionary Calendar retains officially recognized status. The calendar debate is a microcosm of Russia's awkward place partially within the French bloc. The days of Decembrist emulation of the Jacobins are long last, and Moscow continually wishes to flex it's muscles as a great power with fully independent foreign policy.

The fourth calendar listed Rumi, used only by Turkey, while the fifth is the Baha'i calendar, popular among the minority communities of the Balkans.

So Russia occupies the place in France's bloc here that China exercised in the Communist Bloc OTL?
Essentially, yes. France was key to backing separatist movements prior to Russia's revolutions and served as a guarantee power for successors such as Circassia and Ukraine.

After Russia's turn and the Franco-Russian rapprochement, Moscow expected France's support for those secessionist states to cease, which for the most part hasn't come around.

Karte mit Deutsche Fluglinien 1926​

dfalcdy-a0ef27c1-71c5-466f-bf23-92e3a27a5e96.png

My thoughts on a interesting German victory in France-1918 scenario. The entente loss is due to more German troops moving west and the Entente blundering the defense of France. The UK and US never really make peace with Germany and Ludendorff consolidates power over the Reich.
You can see the world map below circa mid 1930's
pgcta6p.png

I've used an annoyingly anal map key, for showing colonies, puppets, ans spheres of influence. Basically; Ukraine, Belarus, and Lithuania are German puppet states, outer Manchuria and coastal China are Japanese puppet states, Egypt is a British puppet state and the International zone east of the sea or Marmara is an Anglo-American puppet state.
The situation re: Japan and china is pretty odd.
can see a high res version of the fist map on my devientart: https://www.deviantart.com/qazdr6/art/Karte-mit-Deutsche-Fluglinien-1926-924784630

Last edited:
targ2.png

A sort of sequel/reboot thingy to an old map I made.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It has been almost five centuries since the Targaryens have landed in the lands of Japan, and the subsequent conquest of China by Aegon The Conqueror, also known as the Tianli Emperor. Now, the empire his descendants has inherited stretches from the mountains of far east Siberia, to the Champa Sea, its power and wealth the envy of the world. Recently however, its might is beginning to wane. While their technology has been developing at a steady rate, there have been several new powerful states who are ready to undermine their hegemony all around them. Adding to this, the dragons which the Xia nation is known for has gone extinct after some painful gradual decades the power of the Targaryens is now up to its most crucial test.

Of course, running an empire this vast by an ethnic minority has never been easy, even if said ethnic minority used to have access to dragons. After centuries of living in the same state, the various cultures throughout the Xia have begun to resemble each other more and more. Chinese has been widely adopted as the lingua franca, and learning it is very important for one to climb the empire's social and political ladder. This of course, has led to a lot of Sinicization, especially recently. In fact, it has become so widespread that as far as Venice, some variant of Chinese can be heard.

Chinese, of the Mandarin variant, is the language of court. It is also the language spoken by most of the Westerosi-descended upper aristocracy. While the Targaryens and Westerosi has suited themselves to the Han ways this is not a one way streak. Westerosi culture has also spread in the empire, adapted into local environments. This can be seen in the dresses and outfits, particularly among the native aristocracy, as they have emulated the Westerosi way of living to gain more status. For the Targaryens, they have all but abandoned incest, even more so recently as they no longer need to keep their blood pure to become dragontamers. Also, a Targaryen emperor usually their Westerosi name alongside their Chinese era name, but the Westerosi one has been all but forgotten (example: the aforementioned Aegon I, also called the "Tianli Emperor").

In this universe, there was never a period of technological isolationism for East Asia. The spirit of the Treasure Fleet still remains, and the Xia are very eager to showcase their advancements and might to the rest of the world, which they consider to be their rightful dominion. Back when they still had the dragons, it is tradition for Targaryen princes (and some princesses) to journey the world with their winged beasts. This is how the Xia are able to know so much of the world so early. Due to this, many islands of the Eastern Ocean have been discovered, particularly Huawai, which was contacted a century ago. Though the dragons are now gone, there have been renewed interest in exploring the far eastern ocean, especially due to recent competition. Lately, there have been rumors of a massive continent east of the empire, according to the Europeans.

The disappearance of the dragons have also forced the Targaryens to adopt more new measures to protect their rule. The main goal of Xia foreign policy was to keep any nearby powerful states from forming or lasting long. However recently powerful countries such as the Oirat Khanate and Ruthenia have been disturbing the Xia-led order. Add to this, the recent arrival of the Europeans and the tributary-commandery system is starting to get eroded. While the tributary system is being expanded to India, one can only wait to see how strong this will hold up. The Emperors have also ramped up the relocation and migrant campaigns, as can be seen in Jurchenia.

Recent incidents have also poked some holes into the Xia order. In the Song Kingdom, a peasant claimed that he received a divine visions that told him he will be the one to lead a popular revolution against the Targaryens. He of course, started a large-scale uprising. While the government has dealt with rebellions like these plenty, this one would end up disastrously. After being defeated multiple times, the rebels and their leader Lin Changhui, fled to the city of Chongqing. The locals are sympathetic to the rebels, and refused to cooperate with the Emperor's Mongol army that was sent in to the city to search. Tensions soon boiled over, and what just started as a minor scuffle spiraled into a mass extermination of a third of the city, some 100,000 people. News of this atrocity spread quickly throughout the empire, and to the Zhiyuan Emperor who was residing in Fuzhou. This led many to be outraged at the Xia regime and demanded that something be done. The court has been scrambling for a way to save face.

The map I present to you shows what might have happened in a universe far, far away.
The Syrian army survived Leo III's invasion in 717 , killing him in battle. The Byzantine Empire decades later suffered a major economic/political crisis after an early great schism, dragging the state of Christianity into the mud. Throughout this , the Umayyad Caliphate rose and expanded its army to massive proportions after multiple compromises with the non-Arab Muslims , which allowed for further expansion across Eurasia. Throughout this slightly unrealistic timeline of the year 1100 A.D. Be warned , some of this is no-lore and the Romanized Arabic might hurt eyes.

I hope you find a sincere level of amusement.

Attachments

• CAL.png
    CAL.png
    158.7 KB · Views: 501
Karte deutscher Luftfahrtgesellschaften, 1926
My thoughts on a interesting German victory in France-1918 scenario. The entente loss is due to more German troops moving west and the Entente blundering the defense of France. The UK and US never really make peace with Germany and Ludendorff consolidates power over the Reich.
I've used an annoyingly anal map key, for showing colonies, puppets, ans spheres of influence. Basically; Ukraine, Belarus, and Lithuania are German puppet states, outer Manchuria and coastal China are Japanese puppet states, Egypt is a British puppet state and the International zone east of the sea or Marmara is an Anglo-American puppet state.
can see a high res version of the fist map on my devientart: https://www.deviantart.com/qazdr6/art/Karte-deutscher-Luftfahrtgesellschaften-1926-924784630
Definitely a really unique take on a CP victory in WWI, although I'm really curious about what's going on in Russia. Is that German-occupied sliver in the west supposed to be a rump Russian Republic or something?

Karte deutscher Luftfahrtgesellschaften, 1926
can see a high res version of the fist map on my devientart: https://www.deviantart.com/qazdr6/art/Karte-deutscher-Luftfahrtgesellschaften-1926-924784630
Please use the "insert image with link" on the forum editor and use the Imgur "direct link" URL. The way you posted it, the images are kind of small and redirect to Imgur instead of enlarging when clicked.

Cool maps btw

Definitely a really unique take on a CP victory in WWI, although I'm really curious about what's going on in Russia. Is that German-occupied sliver in the west supposed to be a rump Russian Republic or something?
Afraid not many of the Total war warriors in WW1 were just a brutal and hard hearted as their counterparts a generation later. That territory has been directly annexed by Germany. In this scenario, after Germany beats France and Italy in 1918-19, Britain and the US don't just make peace but stay at war, and remain committed to defeating Germany. That puts the Germany's strategic situation basically in IRL's 1940, and so some of the same logic applies. Specifically, Ludendorff invades Russia w/ the goal of bringing the UK and the US to the peace table by, he thinks, defeating the last power that could potentially contest Germany or host Anglo-American military power. Further Ludendorff was always worried about the reopening of the eastern front and sees no harm in putting an end to that danger preemptively. Red Russia just cannot stand up to the Germany army in 1919-20 and and gets pushed back as far as Germany is willing to push them. This effort however does not bring the UK or the US to the table and so Germany again seeks peace w/ Russia on harsh terms. Ludendorff, being a hardcore militarist and basically proto-Nazi is pretty likely to see the Brest-Litovsk treaty negotiations as a humiliation inflicted on Germany by Trotsky, Lenin and Wilson where negotiators tried to make agreements and appeal to things like self-determination to no end. Therefore I think he is likely just to annex the territory of Russia necessary to permanently cripple it as a great power i.e. the A-A line.

Please use the "insert image with link" on the forum editor and use the Imgur "direct link" URL. The way you posted it, the images are kind of small and redirect to Imgur instead of enlarging when clicked.

Cool maps btw

Done

Last edited:
View attachment 763933

A sort of sequel/reboot thingy to an old map I made.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It has been almost five centuries since the Targaryens have landed in the lands of Japan, and the subsequent conquest of China by Aegon The Conqueror, also known as the Tianli Emperor. Now, the empire his descendants has inherited stretches from the mountains of far east Siberia, to the Champa Sea, its power and wealth the envy of the world. Recently however, its might is beginning to wane. While their technology has been developing at a steady rate, there have been several new powerful states who are ready to undermine their hegemony all around them. Adding to this, the dragons which the Xia nation is known for has gone extinct after some painful gradual decades the power of the Targaryens is now up to its most crucial test.

Of course, running an empire this vast by an ethnic minority has never been easy, even if said ethnic minority used to have access to dragons. After centuries of living in the same state, the various cultures throughout the Xia have begun to resemble each other more and more. Chinese has been widely adopted as the lingua franca, and learning it is very important for one to climb the empire's social and political ladder. This of course, has led to a lot of Sinicization, especially recently. In fact, it has become so widespread that as far as Venice, some variant of Chinese can be heard.

Chinese, of the Mandarin variant, is the language of court. It is also the language spoken by most of the Westerosi-descended upper aristocracy. While the Targaryens and Westerosi has suited themselves to the Han ways this is not a one way streak. Westerosi culture has also spread in the empire, adapted into local environments. This can be seen in the dresses and outfits, particularly among the native aristocracy, as they have emulated the Westerosi way of living to gain more status. For the Targaryens, they have all but abandoned incest, even more so recently as they no longer need to keep their blood pure to become dragontamers. Also, a Targaryen emperor usually their Westerosi name alongside their Chinese era name, but the Westerosi one has been all but forgotten (example: the aforementioned Aegon I, also called the "Tianli Emperor").

In this universe, there was never a period of technological isolationism for East Asia. The spirit of the Treasure Fleet still remains, and the Xia are very eager to showcase their advancements and might to the rest of the world, which they consider to be their rightful dominion. Back when they still had the dragons, it is tradition for Targaryen princes (and some princesses) to journey the world with their winged beasts. This is how the Xia are able to know so much of the world so early. Due to this, many islands of the Eastern Ocean have been discovered, particularly Huawai, which was contacted a century ago. Though the dragons are now gone, there have been renewed interest in exploring the far eastern ocean, especially due to recent competition. Lately, there have been rumors of a massive continent east of the empire, according to the Europeans.

The disappearance of the dragons have also forced the Targaryens to adopt more new measures to protect their rule. The main goal of Xia foreign policy was to keep any nearby powerful states from forming or lasting long. However recently powerful countries such as the Oirat Khanate and Ruthenia have been disturbing the Xia-led order. Add to this, the recent arrival of the Europeans and the tributary-commandery system is starting to get eroded. While the tributary system is being expanded to India, one can only wait to see how strong this will hold up. The Emperors have also ramped up the relocation and migrant campaigns, as can be seen in Jurchenia.

Recent incidents have also poked some holes into the Xia order. In the Song Kingdom, a peasant claimed that he received a divine visions that told him he will be the one to lead a popular revolution against the Targaryens. He of course, started a large-scale uprising. While the government has dealt with rebellions like these plenty, this one would end up disastrously. After being defeated multiple times, the rebels and their leader Lin Changhui, fled to the city of Chongqing. The locals are sympathetic to the rebels, and refused to cooperate with the Emperor's Mongol army that was sent in to the city to search. Tensions soon boiled over, and what just started as a minor scuffle spiraled into a mass extermination of a third of the city, some 100,000 people. News of this atrocity spread quickly throughout the empire, and to the Zhiyuan Emperor who was residing in Fuzhou. This led many to be outraged at the Xia regime and demanded that something be done. The court has been scrambling for a way to save face.
Well that’s one sexy map

Interesting to see how it’s Chinese that ended up being the dominant language in the new Targ realm though, given that it’s implied the core of the realm is in Japan.

Is the Emperor also the king of the various subkingdoms, or are there different kings under him? Like a King of Champa that swears fealty to the Emperor.

Status
Not open for further replies.