Map Thread XVIII

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by FesteringSpore, Jul 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tomislav Addai Well-Known Member

SAm.png A South America without colonialism, all into the modern era

2. Queen Edward II³-(IV+II²) Trigger-Happy Beerbarian

After I posted a map of Appalachia before, I can finally present you one of California from the same series now.

california_map_with_cities.png

3. H.Flashman(VC) Well-Known Member

You're absolutely sure about that? I was reading an article about lynchings of Sicilian Italians, the 'Dagos' and this is what Harpers Weekly wrote after a lynching in Louisana in 1899:
    The lynching by the way was done by the usual ordinary citizens. Sure, enslaving of 'not negroes' might be more difficult, but impossible?

PopulistBean, Miner and DrWalpurgis like this.
  4. Suvareshkin Well-Known Member

Some minor corrections about the Russian names.

A better transiliteration of the Russian word for Alaska would be Alyaska, not Alyeska.

Also, city names in Russia are masculine, so "Voskresenya" would be either "Voskresenye (resurrection/Sunday) or Voskreseniy (of the resurrection) and "Sv. Dionisia" would be "Sv. Dionisov"

5. Daeres Well-Known Member

Its psychological impact is very overstated, but it's also sociological as the reputation of Hueless light is so widespread that a lot of people think that they ought to be distressed by it. Anyone who spends enough time on Chrome would be able to adjust, it's just still a bit weird. The people who tend to find Hueless light genuinely disturbing are in fact the people only spending a short time in system. There's a reason that Covleur and the other settlements don't feel a need for hue shielding 24/7, even though the original colonists thought that expensive technology necessary for human emotional wellbeing. If more people spent more time on Chrome then it probably wouldn't have it's reputation sit so unquestioned across the human sphere, but first they'd have to choose to go there. In theory 28th century false colour glasses are entirely capable of dealing with Hueless light as well, if it came to it.

6. Aqua817 Eternally Exhausted

I mean, if you had every basic human need taken care of, would *you* "bite the hand that feeds you?"
    South Africa nearly went full Yugoslavia and the Visitors stepped in to try to stop that, while also buying up vast uninhabited swathes of the South African bush to settle. Israel both tried to nuke the Visitors after the Grand Attack and also started actively destroying Palestinian areas as radical protestant elements, fleeing the Eaglefall, migrated there and began remaking Israel into a state that "actually" filled a lot of the protestsnt apocalypse prophesies and overall it weirded the hell out of the Visitors who just kinda took it over and began monitoring the holy sites themselves. Overall, the Visitors have a vested interest in keeping us pacified, so theyre more than happy to play along woth the sometimes rather quirky rules of holy sites. And Etritea even IRL is the most insular, violent, and opressive state on earth. The Eritrean dictator was one of the first to realize "oh, shit, they're here for our land" and so he started gassing essentially the entire country as a kind of "if I cant have it, no one can." Cue Visitor intervention with the help of basically everyone. While Eritrea today ittl is a very Visitor influenced paradise, many Eritreans actually chose to go off planet anyways since the cultural ptsd inflicted by centuries of brutal opression made it hard for many peope to want to stay. Eritrean culture is a rather big fad in Visitor cities as well, in the same way Egyptian and Indian cultural fasciantion swept the British Empire.
    A lot of humans. The transition of many human societies parenting strategies into one of basically group parenting along with perfection of "test tube baby" type technology means that the birth rate has skyrocketed, infant mortality as essentially 0, and enough food to feed them indefinitelty. There are also several hundred million Visitors and a few other species that fell under Visitor control. In many areas Humans and Visitors live side by side.

PopulistBean, TrucKola and Pexa like this.
  7. Allan Nonymous Compulsive Map Maker

What is the Visitor government like, does it have elections? What is their ideology? Since they seem to be much more advanced than us (and as such they would likely be more progressive), wouldn't there be a major faction advocating for ending Alien discrimination. Couldn't we all live together as a multicultural/multi species society? Also, if they have lots of people on Dyson spheres, wouldn't there have been a rebellion by now? The whole plan seems waiting for a revolution.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    PopulistBean and TrucKola like this.
  8. Mr_Fanboy Well-Known Member

I do not know that advanced aliens would necessarily be more progressive than human beings in the sense that they would neatly fall into the the political left of the United States and Europe. Not that they would be regressive either, though. I just think that an entirely alien culture with access to technology eras ahead of our own would have entirely different priorities from our own such that they would have a hard time relating to our own political debates. They would likely have had an effectively post-scarcity economy for a long time, making our competing schools of economics irrelevant to them, and they may have a biology so different from our own that they do not immediately understand, or care about, the controversies surrounding abortion and LGBT issues.

When some on this site once asked what God's political opinions were, I replied...

"If there does exist a truly omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent entity... well, I am reminded of a passage in Watchmen where Adrian Veidt is asked is asked in an interview if Doctor Manhattan has a preference between Democrats and Republicans, and Veidt responds by asking the interviewer if he has a preference between black ants and red ants."

Similar dynamic here.

9. Allan Nonymous Compulsive Map Maker

I didn't mean their political leanings, I simply meant that they probably have different schools of thought among their individuals, some of which probably would, having seen the general injustice perpetrated among the many species left unable to participate in government, feel that they should act to support those disenfranchised (evidently this is at least a school of though). Also, the risk of a system that seems to massively disenfranchise a vast majority of the population is that such system would inevitably crumble, especially in a post-scarcity society where there is little left to coerce people in the way of bribes. My other question, however, stands, how do they make decisions, and do they have political outfits supporting different societal interests. Obviously, decisions are being made, but how?

PopulistBean likes this.
  10. Red Arturoist Napoleon II. - Marxist-Arturoist-Trałkaist Donor

Those damn American and Chinese ultranationalists! They doomed lands, they doomed massive parts of humanity. Not the Visitors, as they only wanted to govern and possess Earth as far as I understand, but would have uplifted humans in the process and more or less coexisted with them.

11. LouisTheGreyFox The Hyperactive Furry Historian

I know right? I for would have welcomed our Visitor overlords.

12. Oxander Stepping Lightly

Traitors.

13. LouisTheGreyFox The Hyperactive Furry Historian

Only a rebel deals in absolute.

14. Alexander North Self-Proclaimed Master of ISOTs

Then a rebel thou art, for that in of itself is an absolute.

15. Etruscan-enthusiast35 Human until proven guilty

Hobbiton, The Shire, Eriador, Middle-Earth
    Anybody ever mess with the items under the effects tab in paint.net and see what horrors (or possible fantasy worlds) doing so provides for you?

16. APeninSpace Pretty sure I'm the only sapient pen on the board

yeah once I ended up doing a different layer to the base and fusing downwards, then removing the territory not on land. It was fucking wild.

17. Oxander Stepping Lightly

That seems fake. Fake news. Visitor propaganda. Worthless shill.

TrucKola and LouisTheGreyFox like this.
  18. ST15RM Ich bin ein AH.commer!

Total loser! SAD!

Oxander and LouisTheGreyFox like this.
  19. Sailor Haumea Liberal Hawk

The Serbo-Croat-Bosniak-Montenegrin Federation. Screenshot_2019-06-13-20-12-11.png

20. Artienia Active Member

Does anybody have a Qbam world map with first-level divisions? (Like 50 states, not the little counties)? I had one but i accidentally overwritten it and now i can't find any

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.