Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
SAm.png
A South America without colonialism, all into the modern era

Somehow I doubt everyone in the South would be stupid enough to fall for that. By the 1860s and beyond, it'd pretty much be impossible to justify white-on-white slavery. White-on-black slavery can be justified in that time because everyone of non-European descent had come to be seen as less intelligent than Europeans. So, sure, the South may not like immigrants, especially Irishmen, and I think the populace would have been fine putting them in slavelike conditions, but no matter what their religion or national origin is, no white man in the South would stand for another white man being inspected like an animal and sold down the Mississippi. In fact, doing that might make the yeomen more sympathetic to the situation African slaves were in, if the planters decided to do the same to them.

Just my two cents, good day to you sir.
You're absolutely sure about that? I was reading an article about lynchings of Sicilian Italians, the 'Dagos' and this is what Harpers Weekly wrote after a lynching in Louisana in 1899:
When the Italians first came info Madison, a few years ago, they were a puzzle to the white people of that parish. Like the bat[?], they were difficult to classify, and this was more difficult because they dealt mainly with the negroes, and associated with them nearly on terms of equality. They could therefore hardly be classed as “white men,” and yet they were certainly not negroes. Just how to treat them was a difficult problem. It has finally been settled. They are to get the justice awarded a negro in Madison who assaults, or shoots at, or kills a white man – lynching; not a trial. The whites who rule and administer Madison are not willing to admit the Italian to their ranks. NORMAN WALKER.
The lynching by the way was done by the usual ordinary citizens. Sure, enslaving of 'not negroes' might be more difficult, but impossible?

North America from my Another America timeline:

another_america__north_america_by_keperry012_dd972v2-fullview.jpg
Some minor corrections about the Russian names.

A better transiliteration of the Russian word for Alaska would be Alyaska, not Alyeska.

Also, city names in Russia are masculine, so "Voskresenya" would be either "Voskresenye (resurrection/Sunday) or Voskreseniy (of the resurrection) and "Sv. Dionisia" would be "Sv. Dionisov"

This is beautiful (no pun intended) and refer to both the map and the idea behind it. I must say; an asterisk over "Habitable" is not something I would want to see when picking a planet to settle on.

What is so destructive about hueless light anyway? OTL color torture requires the absence of all color including black and there are plenty of perfectly healthy persons with color blindness.

Its psychological impact is very overstated, but it's also sociological as the reputation of Hueless light is so widespread that a lot of people think that they ought to be distressed by it. Anyone who spends enough time on Chrome would be able to adjust, it's just still a bit weird. The people who tend to find Hueless light genuinely disturbing are in fact the people only spending a short time in system. There's a reason that Covleur and the other settlements don't feel a need for hue shielding 24/7, even though the original colonists thought that expensive technology necessary for human emotional wellbeing. If more people spent more time on Chrome then it probably wouldn't have it's reputation sit so unquestioned across the human sphere, but first they'd have to choose to go there. In theory 28th century false colour glasses are entirely capable of dealing with Hueless light as well, if it came to it.

I can't tell what's more horrifying: aliens invading and conquering Earth, or the fact that most of humanity doesn't seem to care.
I mean, if you had every basic human need taken care of, would *you* "bite the hand that feeds you?"
What were Israel, South Africa, and Eritrea's crimes?
South Africa nearly went full Yugoslavia and the Visitors stepped in to try to stop that, while also buying up vast uninhabited swathes of the South African bush to settle. Israel both tried to nuke the Visitors after the Grand Attack and also started actively destroying Palestinian areas as radical protestant elements, fleeing the Eaglefall, migrated there and began remaking Israel into a state that "actually" filled a lot of the protestsnt apocalypse prophesies and overall it weirded the hell out of the Visitors who just kinda took it over and began monitoring the holy sites themselves. Overall, the Visitors have a vested interest in keeping us pacified, so theyre more than happy to play along woth the sometimes rather quirky rules of holy sites. And Etritea even IRL is the most insular, violent, and opressive state on earth. The Eritrean dictator was one of the first to realize "oh, shit, they're here for our land" and so he started gassing essentially the entire country as a kind of "if I cant have it, no one can." Cue Visitor intervention with the help of basically everyone. While Eritrea today ittl is a very Visitor influenced paradise, many Eritreans actually chose to go off planet anyways since the cultural ptsd inflicted by centuries of brutal opression made it hard for many peope to want to stay. Eritrean culture is a rather big fad in Visitor cities as well, in the same way Egyptian and Indian cultural fasciantion swept the British Empire.
so, who lives on earth now?

A lot of humans. The transition of many human societies parenting strategies into one of basically group parenting along with perfection of "test tube baby" type technology means that the birth rate has skyrocketed, infant mortality as essentially 0, and enough food to feed them indefinitelty. There are also several hundred million Visitors and a few other species that fell under Visitor control. In many areas Humans and Visitors live side by side.

What is the Visitor government like, does it have elections? What is their ideology? Since they seem to be much more advanced than us (and as such they would likely be more progressive), wouldn't there be a major faction advocating for ending Alien discrimination. Couldn't we all live together as a multicultural/multi species society? Also, if they have lots of people on Dyson spheres, wouldn't there have been a rebellion by now? The whole plan seems waiting for a revolution.

Last edited:
What is the Visitor government like, does it have elections? What is their ideology? Since they seem to be much more advanced than us (and as such they would likely be more progressive), wouldn't there be a major faction advocating for ending Alien discrimination. Couldn't we all live together as a multicultural/multi species society? Also, if they have lots of people on Dyson spheres, wouldn't there have been a rebellion by now? The whole plan seems waiting for a revolution.

I do not know that advanced aliens would necessarily be more progressive than human beings in the sense that they would neatly fall into the the political left of the United States and Europe. Not that they would be regressive either, though. I just think that an entirely alien culture with access to technology eras ahead of our own would have entirely different priorities from our own such that they would have a hard time relating to our own political debates. They would likely have had an effectively post-scarcity economy for a long time, making our competing schools of economics irrelevant to them, and they may have a biology so different from our own that they do not immediately understand, or care about, the controversies surrounding abortion and LGBT issues.

When some on this site once asked what God's political opinions were, I replied...

"If there does exist a truly omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent entity... well, I am reminded of a passage in Watchmen where Adrian Veidt is asked is asked in an interview if Doctor Manhattan has a preference between Democrats and Republicans, and Veidt responds by asking the interviewer if he has a preference between black ants and red ants."

Similar dynamic here.

I do not know that advanced aliens would necessarily be more progressive than human beings in the sense that they would neatly fall into the the political left of the United States and Europe. Not that they would be regressive either, though. I just think that an entirely alien culture with access to technology eras ahead of our own would have entirely different priorities from our own such that they would have a hard time relating to our own political debates. They would likely have had an effectively post-scarcity economy for a long time, making our competing schools of economics irrelevant to them, and they may have a biology so different from our own that they do not immediately understand, or care about, the controversies surrounding abortion and LGBT issues.

When some on this site once asked what God's political opinions were, I replied...

"If there does exist a truly omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent entity... well, I am reminded of a passage in Watchmen where Adrian Veidt is asked is asked in an interview if Doctor Manhattan has a preference between Democrats and Republicans, and Veidt responds by asking the interviewer if he has a preference between black ants and red ants."

Similar dynamic here.
I didn't mean their political leanings, I simply meant that they probably have different schools of thought among their individuals, some of which probably would, having seen the general injustice perpetrated among the many species left unable to participate in government, feel that they should act to support those disenfranchised (evidently this is at least a school of though). Also, the risk of a system that seems to massively disenfranchise a vast majority of the population is that such system would inevitably crumble, especially in a post-scarcity society where there is little left to coerce people in the way of bribes. My other question, however, stands, how do they make decisions, and do they have political outfits supporting different societal interests. Obviously, decisions are being made, but how?

This all came to a head in 2055. Radical elements within the American and Chinese government stole nuclear codes, and launched a full nuclear assault on the Visitors. While the Visitor ships were, naturally, rather impervious to such perfidious and barbaric weapons as nuclear weapons, the Visitor cities were not as lucky. For a time, it seemed as if the Visitors were on the retreat.

Those damn American and Chinese ultranationalists! They doomed lands, they doomed massive parts of humanity. Not the Visitors, as they only wanted to govern and possess Earth as far as I understand, but would have uplifted humans in the process and more or less coexisted with them.

Those damn American and Chinese ultranationalists! They doomed lands, they doomed massive parts of humanity. Not the Visitors, as they only wanted to govern and possess Earth as far as I understand, but would have uplifted humans in the process and more or less coexisted with them.
I know right? I for would have welcomed our Visitor overlords.

Does anybody have a Qbam world map with first-level divisions? (Like 50 states, not the little counties)? I had one but i accidentally overwritten it and now i can't find any

Status
Not open for further replies.