Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry that it wasn't obvious. :p And no I meant the world map that used to be in your sig that had a pixel art of a person on it.
It doesn't really matter. The characters have been reworked/will be reworked a dozen times, and tbh, the Nightrise World outside of Europe was a piece of sht since The map shown a page earlier is one of the first times I did muh research. :p :D You can see it on the map I posted for example. 1914-basemap although an 1850s POD. I've reworked that one. :)

Yeah...totally annoyed...

7IOfacZ.png
Now I want to see all the maps yous have in that folder.

not because I'm a narcissist that needs to see if any of my own maps are in there, certainly...

I'm pretty sure he made it like that on purpose...
I feel Pishi- Pishisco- Bob was being too kind. I mean look at it. Not only does Munro mislabel Borneo as Java, but he both misspells and misplaces Borneo when putting it in Chad. And then there is the mixed usage of North Burgundian Brazil and Upper Burgundy, the Great American Desert is placed in the Rockies, and let's not even go into how the Vatican City sprawls over an area the size of Tuscany.

Hmm since everyone's so hyped up maybe I should post a teaser map for my latest supersize project... but then I've been posting 3+ Nightrise maps on one day... oh well XD

Well since it's the map thread I dun care...•^•

South_German_Federation.png

progress_yvropa.png

Here's a teaser on my WoN supersize map showing Austria and the South German States.
Below is a progress map of the project so you can see what's done and what's not without seeing the full map. Currently the map seems to be around 4300x5500px in size but since I want to make a bit of graphical framework the final map will probably be somewhere 4500x5700px.

Or larger. I have plans to include Indonesia on the map as well since it's quite easy to make - that would probably stretch the map into the near of, I guess, 9000x6900px...But since I know myself very well I bet an 88% chance that I'll include Indonesia on either this map or a separate one.

One question--did Gog-Magog start out as two separate states that unified into one?

What's the deal with the Cannibal Kingdoms? I mean, sure, the name says a lot, but there has to be a lot of structure to keep a place like that in place? How do they handle missionaries from, say, Aethiopia? Are they more similar to Ts'alal or like some of the more isolated cannibal tribes? What's their technology like?

The ritual torture comment inclines me to believe they're just Tsalal

Gog and Magog are two kingdoms that united a long time ago: like Austria-Hungary. :)

The Cannibal Empires and Gog-Magog together sort of represent our modern bogies: Al Queda and Iran, Putin's Russia and ISIL, North Korea and the international gay conspiracy. :openedeyewink:

But the Cannibal Kingdoms are also Antipodeans: backwards and upside down from the European point of view, a place where black is white, up is down, and right is wrong. They're civilized enough, having had a level of development comparable to China in terms of technology when first contacted by Europeans, but also with human sacrifice, ritual torture, and cannibalism. Tsalal? It's a Mandevillian world rather than a Lovecraftian one. They're a fairly unified culture (the Maori are outliers) and not as nationally thematic as Dvaldron's creations.

They all find eating people acceptable, but vary in the application. In some places you can get human-based meals in specialty restaurants [1], while in others human flesh is only eaten as part of elaborate rituals surrounding human sacrifice, and in some places children loving eat certain parts of their deceased parents. [2] Torture is widely used, but then, like Catholics, they consider suffering sacred: their Gods are cruel, but they need to be - they shape humanity to their purpose, and their tools are sharp. Torture is both given and willingly received: being able to stand massive amounts of pain without flinching is an indicator of spiritual power, and until recently it was hard to get to an elevated position in the Empire's society without suffering massive amounts of pain.

They've been invaded multiple times by Europeans trying to "civilize" them, but with a fine appreciation of gunpowder weapons and vastly more experience with warfare (and appreciation for soldiers) than the Chinese, and a disease package at least as nasty as pre-modern Europe, they've held their own, although with the British, Italian, and Burgundian efforts in the 19th century it was a close thing. As a result they've ruthlessly pushed forward with modernization, and unified, however loosely, for the first time in millennia of history. From their point of view, they're not threatening the world, but making sure they can defend themselves from dangerously crazy foreigners.

The Aethiopians don't do missionaries.

They find Christianity and its tenets hilariously nuts, and after a brief period after the Deluge of Blood where no Europeans were allowed into the country, missionaries are generally tolerated as long as they don't badmouth the Gods in public: they tend to make very few converts.

The Cannibal Empires are fairly religiously tolerant, in fact, their own pantheon being vast and somewhat incoherent, with different Empires having distinctly different interpretations of the powers and natures and relationships of the various Gods without anyone being very exercised by it. (They're a bit disappointed in the Jews: they had heard of the Jewish conspiracy and wanted to get it on their side.

Current technology is on a par with the most advanced nations: an unholy blend of Deiselpunk and Alchemypunk, with a sprinkling of practically applied ritual magic.

No gugs or other Lovecraft inspired critters, but it's Australia as well as Antarctica, so of course it's full of all sorts of vicious and poisonous beasties, and definitely Drop Bears.

[1] As you could at certain restaurants in late Song China (sourced from peasants whose families really needed the money and who had either died in accidents or deliberately committed suicide).

[2] They're aware of the need for thorough cooking, and the Southern Continent has no prion-based diseases, of course.

Is Gog-Maggog actually evil, or is it more like, say, Manicheanism?

Strict monotheism with a God whose character is unmellowed Old Testament. They just want to spread their faith to everyone (everyone who isn't a tare to be thrown into the fire, of course. You can usually identify them by how opposed they are to conversion.) Admittedly, since the last Great War they've secularized a bit, but the notion that everyone else but them is either dammed unless they convert or simply inherently dammed remains a popular one. Evil? I dunno: no more so than your average believing Spaniard of the age of the wars of religion?

Rahxephon

Banned
This is my first attempt at making any sort of AH map. It's a silly thought experiment about Manifest Destiny carried out to its full extent. Plus, Jefferson's plan for the states east of the Mississippi. EDIT: I know Newfoundland and Labrador are switched, whoops
I like that you’ve remembered to increase the size of the states out in the plains, but many of the borders are... odd. Jefferson, Navajo, Hohokam, Pueblo, Oregon, Canada, and Columbia’s borders don’t make any sense, and Mexico would’ve had its borders redrawn post annexation. I never understood why the Assiniboyia and Saskatchewan split happened OTL, but they’d be too depopulated to be separate here.

Never stop making maps! They’re my favorite aspect of AH.

Strict monotheism with a God whose character is unmellowed Old Testament. They just want to spread their faith to everyone (everyone who isn't a tare to be thrown into the fire, of course. You can usually identify them by how opposed they are to conversion.) Admittedly, since the last Great War they've secularized a bit, but the notion that everyone else but them is either dammed unless they convert or simply inherently dammed remains a popular one. Evil? I dunno: no more so than your average believing Spaniard of the age of the wars of religion?

Weren't Gog and Maggog, of the biblical fame, seen as Satanic people/lands/allies that would try, and fail, to destroy G*d's chosen people during the End of Times? Wouldn't that make them kinda similar to Stirling's Russian in the Peshawar Lancers, in terms of outlook?

I like that you’ve remembered to increase the size of the states out in the plains, but many of the borders are... odd. Jefferson, Navajo, Hohokam, Pueblo, Oregon, Canada, and Columbia’s borders don’t make any sense, and Mexico would’ve had its borders redrawn post annexation. I never understood why the Assiniboyia and Saskatchewan split happened OTL, but they’d be too depopulated to be separate here.

To me, it looks like those borders follow rivers and mountain ranges, which actually make a lot of sense.

remnantaustria.jpg

Vienna divided amongst Austria, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, and Yugoslavia.

A new eastern border is set for Austria, mostly along the watershed divide between the Danube above and below Vienna.

The new northern border is the Danube.

Austria gets Sudtirol back, plus a tiny bit of Germany.

Scenario might be an alt ww2? I was mostly just fooling around with the interesting geography of the region.

Yeah, those borders all look really weird. But they all make sense: Jefferson's southern border is the southern limit of the Louisiana territory, its northern border is the Red River, Navajo has mainly latitude and longitude-based borders except the Rocky Mountains to the east, and Hohokam has the Rio Grande. I agree Columbia is no good but I would have no idea how to redraw that. And most of the Canadian borders (except Canada, which was just "south of St. Lawrence") are based on old maps of Canadian territories in the late 19th century. Mexico I would probably disagree with you on - there wouldn't be too much of an incentive to redraw borders, especially in the north where it's a whole lot of desert. All I did was split the then-state of Mexico (which was much larger post-Mexican-American War in OTL) in two and rename San Luis Potosi and Veracruz, both because they sounded "too Spanish" and I'm sure that Polk-influenced US lawmakers would have no trouble renaming/translating them. But thanks for checking it out! And don't worry, more maps probably on the way.

Weren't Gog and Maggog, of the biblical fame, seen as Satanic people/lands/allies that would try, and fail, to destroy G*d's chosen people during the End of Times?

Well, yes. But I don't really like, even in fantasy scenarios, to make human beings irredeemably evil. [1] Specially since Mandeville suggests that some of them are evil Jews, (insert puzzled face) which I play with a little here.

Wouldn't that make them kinda similar to Stirling's Russian in the Peshawar Lancers, in terms of outlook?

What was on my mind when I thought of Gog-Magog was the psycho Christian Irish Empire in SRegan's Strong West Wind. Very few people actually think of themselves as the bad guy, aside from the occasional strutting young thug who thinks it's bad to be bad. Probably they're just rather poorly informed about the nature of The Chosen People (like, for instance, most Europeans before 1945).

(The Russians in Peshawar strike me as ... unlikely. )

[1] And we already have a continent of cannibals. Making Gog-Magog a country of eaters of dogs, worms, corpses and fetuses seemed overkill. [2]

[2] They do eat dogs. :biggrin:

uruk.png
uruk2.o.png
New Map for y'all, it's another kaiserriech. Hope ya like it...View attachment 353829 View attachment 353830
In this TL, Germany and the Central Powers win WWI by Germany not executing the Schlieffen plan and instead sending the majority of their troops to Russia. Along with this, Germany never uses unrestricted submarine warfare. Russia collapses into civil war by autumn 1916 and they sign an armistice. The war in the west ends in the summer of 1917 as the US doesn't enter the war because of the lack of unrestricted submarine warfare.

The treaties with the allies are harsh. The Russians are forced to give up Poland, the Baltics, Finland, Ukraine, and the Caucasus. In the Balkans, 2/3 of Serbia is annexed by Bulgaria with the rest being a puppet of Austria. France must give up most of it's colonial empire and a large swath of northeast France. Immediately after the war, The Bolsheviks still win as all the European powers are still war weary and can't fight a protracted war in Russia. In addition, uprisings in France occur as the government has crippling debt and is in financial ruin. As a result, communists take power in France (similar situations in Italy and Spain also lead to communist governments there too.) Tensions between the Arabs and Turks of the Ottoman Empire also continue to flare up. In 1924, The Arabs, Kurds, and Greeks rise up in full revolt. They are successful and by 1926, Egypt has gained independence with Sudan and Libya as puppets/vassals, The Arabs have their own pan-Arab state, the Shiite Muslims in modern Iraq and Saudi Arabia have gained independence, The Kurds have gained independence, and the Greeks and Bulgarians have taken the ethnically European parts of the empire. Meanwhile, chaos in China still erupts into civil war, but this time, the Soviets, emboldened by the revolution in France, fully support the Chinese communists. They win by the mid-1930s and a communist government is installed in China. The Great Depression also still happens and the global economy still tanks in 1929. Because of this, Austria-Hungary, already having a fragile government, would collapse in 1930 and new states like Austria, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Croatia and Bosnia-Herzegovina being born (Serbia and Montenegro also regain full independence and Galicia is split between Poland and Ukraine.)

So that's it. What do ya think? pls leave feedback and suggestions.

Last edited:
Surviving Byzantines in Italy.png

Crosspost from my very first MotF Entry!

The Best Tourist Destination in all Europe, ten years in a row! Come to Rome, one and all!

The map features a Byzantine Empire that conquered and consolidated southern Italy and Sicily (and even Rome!) early on and then managed to lose Anatolia to the Turks and the Balkans to a nationalist rebellion in the 1700's. The First Empire is OTL Rome, the Second Empire is the Eastern Roman Empire until the loss of Anatolia in 1632, when it is known as the Third Empire until its exile to Italy. It has been the Fourth Empire ever since, even though it's not much of an "empire" anymore. It also features an alternate development of the English language. It should still be readable, but let me know if you have any questions about the map! Their territory is, while still mostly considered ethnically "Italian," which covers a broad umbrella, mostly speaking TTL's alternate Byzantine Greek's descendant language. Also, their territory is mostly "Roman Rite Christian," what we would know as Orthodox Christianity.

Comments and questions more than welcome, as always!

Rahxephon

Banned
Yeah, those borders all look really weird. I agree Columbia is no good but I would have no idea how to redraw that.
May I suggest the following, at least for the non-Mexican states?

large_blank_north_america_template_by_mdc01957-d4ietdt.png

Jefferson’s southern border is the southern limit of the Louisiana territory, its northern border is the Red River
But why does the state exist? Its size and shape don’t really justify its existence or ability to administer itself.
Navajo has mainly latitude and longitude-based borders except the Rocky Mountains to the east
I don’t know if you did it intentionally, but thanks for leaving the bite taken out of Utah. That’s due to nigh impassable mountains.
And most of the Canadian borders (except Canada, which was just "south of St. Lawrence”) are based on old maps of Canadian territories in the late 19th century.
A good a place as any to start.
Let’s talk about Canada and Mexico. When were they respectively annexed? That will go a long way to determining what the borders would be.
there wouldn’t be too much of an incentive to redraw borders
Two words: SENATORS.

May I suggest the following, at least for the non-Mexican states?

View attachment 353897

But why does the state exist? Its size and shape don’t really justify its existence or ability to administer itself.

I don’t know if you did it intentionally, but thanks for leaving the bite taken out of Utah. That’s due to nigh impassable mountains.

A good a place as any to start.

Let’s talk about Canada and Mexico. When were they respectively annexed? That will go a long way to determining what the borders would be.

Two words: SENATORS.

I note Winnipeg does not contain Winnipeg.

Status
Not open for further replies.