Map Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
PoD: Kutuzov ceased his vital functions such as breathing, blood pumping etc at Austerlitz
we_ll_unite__by_sera_fim-db2uht0.png

The Good Kingdom

Ashoka would launch the Maurya dynasty to new heights, never seen before in all of Asia. His empire would span from Sri Lanka to the slopes of the Himalayas and, while his empire would collapse within a century of his death, it was not the Maurya Dynasty that truly mattered: rather, it was an idea established by Ashoka. Using Buddhist cosmology, he would establish the notion of the “Dharmic Kingdom”-- a state, centered on the Doab, following Buddhist principles, would inevitably conquer vast swathes of the world.

Indish history from then on would consist of a series of dynasties permeated by warring states. Ideas of Indish centrism developed quite extensively, depsite the fact that it would be dominated at several points by Thibetan, Indocathayan, and even Persian dynasties. Ind was the center of the world, and it would spread its culture across all of its realms. Everything else was a distant periphery.

Meanwhile, another large kingdom would not be so lucky. The Cathayans had difficulty unifying following the end of the Qin, meaning the Mandate of Heaven was never truly solidified. While it would later consolidate under several dynasties, they would often collapse into warring states. The final nail came in the 16th century by a horde of Manichaean Turkic barbarians who came out of central asia, driven by Indish expansion. They would create a dynasty over the steppe and Northern Cathay, and shatter the non-Manichaean south into a series of warring states. This would be the Minghal Dynasty.

The Indish would begin to have regular contact with the Europeans in the 16th century with the arrival of one Diego Nostromo, the brash explorer who was fresh off his discovery of a continent south of Atlantis (which had itself been discovered by the Frisians in the 14th century), seeking alternate routes for the Castillans in the wake of the Muslim unification blocking trade. Though initially curious, the Indish would soon put a ban on all but restricted trading with the southern barbarians. Europeans would find vastly more success in the divided states of Cathay, who were all too happy to engage in trade. European powers established factories and trading outposts in China, which soon became an integral part of trade between the Spice Islands, Atlantis and Nostromo.

The equation in China would change, however, in the 17th century.

Three hundred years prior, following the Arabian conquest of Anatolia, there was a great influx west of scholars, and a rebirth of Roman knowledge that had been lost. This “Rebirth” was felt most in Northern Italy, which became some of the richest cities in the world. There was a flurry of philosophical discourse in many cities-- primarily, Tuscany and Venice. Here, republican ideals would go beyond the oligarchical and mercantile forms it had taken in Tuscany and Venice, yearning for ancient Roman and Athenian traditions. With a popular overthrow of local nobles and power brokers, the “Double Republic of Tuscany-Venice” was declared. The Double Republic would go on to integrate many small fiefs across Northern Italy and, eventually, the Alpine Cantons.

It would then begin expanding into the Holy Roman Empire and the Balkans in the wake of the Evangelist Wars, which horrifically depopulated these regions. When it integrated Austria following a popular revolution in the late 16th century, it renamed itself: “The United States of Evropa”. It would go on to wage a series of wars to united the Italian peninsula, and it would then have a series of wars waged against it by the Scandinavians and the French, which it would roundly win, converting them into full states of the Union.

It would make it its quest in life to free Mother Evropa from the unenlightened monarchies. It formed a temporary alliance with the Russians, the Frisians and the Britannians to crush the Polish and the monarchies of Iberia. However, these monarchies would then be horrified when the Evropans turned on them, and the two sides fought to stalemate, ultimately resulting in the Frisians being removed from the continent.

Prior to their estrangement to the Evropans, the Britannians seized the possessions of the other monarchies in Cathay, leaving them the undisputed master of the lands. Via tricky political maneuvering, they have enthralled the Cathayan kingdoms, and even the Minghals themselves. Slowly, they’ve integrated the lands of Cathay and, when the current Minghal emperor dies, the Britannian Empress will inherit the whole of Cathay, leaving the Britannians the world’s single most powerful state.

Technology is different. Flying machines were discovered by the Evropans in the 16th century, steamboats in the 17th, but it seems to have stagnated significantly past that point. Electricity has only recently been unlocked, and its benefits are still not clear.

The world rests on a razor's edge. The Evropans fund revolutions around the world, but with considerably less zeal then they once had. They expected the colonies and oppressed people of the world to rise up against their irrational monarchies: instead, they’ve gotten a handful of genocidal savages, half-mad arctic prospectors, and starving Nostromitos. Still, they maintain their ambitions to one day conquer the whole of Europe, including Russia and Britannia.

The Britannians lead a league of states that they once fought against. The exiled monarchies have rebuilt their kingdoms in the New World and the Indish Ocean. They are probably the most powerful single state in the world, but they remain wary of the Russians, and what they’ll do if the Britannians inherit Cathay.

Russia itself is an incredibly religious state, and believes that it is it’s divine right to spread the good word across the world. At their side they have the formerly french colony of Le Grande Occidente, a massive slaveocracy.

As to the Indish Empire itself? How the mighty have fallen. The nation is currently dominated by a Ghurka dynasty that descended from the hills of the Himalayas and conquered Patan in the 17th century, overthrowing the Bampo Dynasty. The empire has grown stagnant and decadent, peppered with European legations and trading posts it once tried so hard to avoid. Europeans, primarily the Britannians, have poisoned the nation by selling them massive amounts of cocaine and cocaine derived products, which have utterly destroyed much of the traditional Indish social structure. Indish attempts to ban the trade of the substance was met with Britannian gunboats, and the forced cession of several trading posts, including Malacca. Secret societies like the Nine Unknown Men, the Tamil Tigers and the Thuggees seek to break European influence over the Dharmic Kingdom.

the_good_kingdom_by_gottfreyundroy-db2xq4g.png

It was apparently flooded during parts of the ice ages, though at certain points it was also lower than the global sea level. But, really, I liked how it looked on the map. So.... Bosphorus Dam!

edit: or rather, I liked the idea of a series of nations on the coast a new inland sea, recovering alongside the Mediterranean, engaged between Asia and Europe in trade, and so on

It may be a crazy idea, but how would the Age of Conan look like non that basemap?

Question about plate tectonics/worldbuilding, can two continents colliding create a sea like the Western Interior Seaway of OTL, or is ocean subduction the only way?
No. The Western Interior Seaway was well away from the actual tectonic activite, so may have been influenced by the creation of the Western Cordillera, but that was a series of scattered islands colliding with a continent.
cretaceousmap.jpg

And the Med is the leftovers of a dying sea. That you can have, but creating a new sea is unlikely.

tgvmVBl.png

A WIP of a mega-Austria. Essentially, Napoleon was uninvolved in the war in Italy and instead claimed success in Germany- as a result, Austria gained influence and power in Italy and in general, while nationalist sentiments across Europe (which in OTL were largely initiated by Napoleon marching across Europe and creating republics and kingdoms everywhere) fail to develop properly, except in Germany. Germany experiences unification similar to OTL, however, there is no Austro-Prussian war- Austro-Prussian relations get far friendlier early on, as Austria is opposed on two sides by France and Russia and so is more willing to support the creation of a friendly German state to their north. Not the most plausible of scenarios, but I do enjoy my Habsburg Empires big. This is around 1910-ish.

*EDIT*
The Habsburg Empire at this point has become less focused on Austria and more focused on incorporating all of the empire into a union of European states- current states include Bohemia, Galicia, Hungary, Bosnia, Austria, and Italy.

A WIP of a mega-Austria. Essentially, Napoleon was uninvolved in the war in Italy and instead claimed success in Germany- as a result, Austria gained influence and power in Italy and in general, while nationalist sentiments across Europe (which in OTL were largely initiated by Napoleon marching across Europe and creating republics and kingdoms everywhere) fail to develop properly, except in Germany. Germany experiences unification similar to OTL, however, there is no Austro-Prussian war- Austro-Prussian relations get far friendlier early on, as Austria is opposed on two sides by France and Russia and so is more willing to support the creation of a friendly German state to their north. Not the most plausible of scenarios, but I do enjoy my Habsburg Empires big. This is around 1910-ish.
Not a big fan of Portugal, are you?

Not a big fan of Portugal, are you?
I felt that of all the European colonial powers they would be the easiest for the others to snub. I only gave Belgium more territory to offset the imbalance created by eliminating Portuguese claims in Africa. Also, Portugal had some decent colonies that I felt other countries would have looked at fairly enviously, whereas by eliminating Belgium there's only the Congo. And yeah, I'm not a big fan of Portugal.

I'm making a balkanized China map county-by-county with states based on history and language/dialect. I need some help with names and boundaries of the rest of the nations. I have the rough idea that Hubei, Sichuan and a Yue state should exist along with one for Xiang, Gan, Min, Hakka and Jin dialect people. But it's all very fuzzy and I would appreciate help from any native Chinese on the board to help me balkanize their country in a meaningful way. This is what I have so far:
Blank-Divisions-China-County-01.png

PS The Min state would be joined to Taiwan.
BTW:
1)Hebei would have a population of about 210 million and gdp per capita of around $11k. It would be match Brazil in population (becoming #5) and economy (nominal GDP: $1.8 trillion or #8)
2)Wu would have a population of about 220 million and gdp per capita of around $13k. It would match France in economic terms (nominal GDP: $2.4 trillion) and population wise it would be ranked #4.
3)Manchuria would have a population of about 75 million and gdp per capita of around $7k. It would match Belgium or Poland in economic terms (would be ranked #25) and population-wise would be a little less than Turkey (would be ranked #20)
4) Tibet would have a population of 18 million and gdp per capita of around $5k. It would match Syria in population (would be ranked #62) and Hungary in economic terms (would be ranked #59)
5) East Turkestan would have a population of about 23 million and gdp per capita of about $6k . It would match Iraq in economic terms (would be ranked #57) and Australia in population (would be ranked #52).

Last edited:
No. The Western Interior Seaway was well away from the actual tectonic activite, so may have been influenced by the creation of the Western Cordillera, but that was a series of scattered islands colliding with a continent.
And the Med is the leftovers of a dying sea. That you can have, but creating a new sea is unlikely.

Looks like im going the ice age route, i may need to add land at the south pole. Any idea how much land i would need?

Crossposting from the Alternate Electoral Maps
Here's something from the future of the silly world of this wikibox. Half a decade after the reintegration of Ohio into the Commonwealth, the Left and Right Wings of the Buckeye Party split due to irreconcilable differences. This was just in time for the first general election after the major electoral reform bill had passed, mandating that the General Assembly become unicameral, larger, and elected by single transferable vote, allowing parties that had never been represented in Columbus to finally take their seats. These two parties, the Charterites and the Greens arguably were what kept the New Progressives from forming a government all by themselves, forcing them to enter into a confidence and supply agreement with both of the minor parties. Prime Minister Sherrod Brown had retained control of the reins of power, but the Independence Party was due for a leadership shakeup, with much of the blame for losing the election going directly on Portman's shoulders. The Charterites were thrilled with the results Fred Taft had delivered them by focusing on former Democrats in the suburbs who had felt left behind by the leftward lurch of the Newps. Anita Rios, Green Party leader side eyes the newly elected Green assemblyman from Yellow Springs, a charismatic Black retired comedian who can't help but energize the party base and might overtake her in the next party leadership election.
OHIO STV PARLIAMENT.png

Status
Not open for further replies.