Status
Not open for further replies.
And how do you see this working out in practice when our tame ruler of the Hejaz acts up? Lets the wrong things be preached, befriends the wrong people, tries out alliances we didn't give permission for, etc?
Also hegemons don't remain such by picking bad fights.

Thinking more about the Nordic situation in Alex Richards' awesome work, I found these....
Scandinavian-Dialects-Map.png
The above is a dialects map which might help to parse smallish divisions. This link provides a similar map for the Uralic side of things.

Then, these may help....

Attachments

• nordic_cross_border.gif
    nordic_cross_border.gif
    75.5 KB · Views: 636
  • Sami_languages_large_2.png
    Sami_languages_large_2.png
    323.9 KB · Views: 579
  • history-of-sweden0..imagech001996_lr004393.gif
    history-of-sweden0..imagech001996_lr004393.gif
    13.6 KB · Views: 618
The above is a dialects map which might help to parse smallish divisions. This link provides a similar map for the Uralic side of things.

The link is excellent, although if one does want to balkanise countries such as Finland, one needs to look at dialectal differences which are rather large. A group of people from Helsinki, Rauma, Savonia, and Tampere, respectively, are going to have a really hard time understanding each other. And this, mind you, is in the 21th century; imagine the situation in a largely rural, decentralized, and illiterate Finland until the 1800s where the different dialects might as well have been different languages.

Asami

Banned
Laa3xhl.png

I mashed together a few maps that were out there, and came up with this. This is the future map of my NationStates country, Ginkaigan.

Asami

Banned
Nope. I stuck in Northern Russia, a reversed-Arab Gulf, Terraformed Mars, Antarctica, etc. into it, but not Kazakh.

That is not the 'general rule' it's an extreme position taken that is ironically the flip-side of the coin of the 'No Butterflies' attitude; a PoD's affect is based on what it is exactly, when it happens and where it happens, so for instance an Aboriginal Australian leader in the Outback being killed and replaced and/or having a child of the opposite sex from OTL in 1400 is not going to stop Richard II being born in England in 1452.
Oh, sorry then, for overgeneralizing.

That is not the 'general rule' it's an extreme position taken that is ironically the flip-side of the coin of the 'No Butterflies' attitude; a PoD's affect is based on what it is exactly, when it happens and where it happens, so for instance an Aboriginal Australian leader in the Outback being killed and replaced and/or having a child of the opposite sex from OTL in 1400 is not going to stop Richard II being born in England in 1452.

I'm sorry, but yes it does (also, I think you mean Richard III there). Firstly, neither of his parents - Richard, Duke of York (b. 1411) and Cecily Neville (b. 1415) - will be born to begin with. Richard's paternal grandparents - Richard, Earl of Cambridge and Anne de Mortimer - married in 1408; there's no guarantee this will even happen ITTL. Also, even though Richard's maternal grandparents - Ralph Neville, Earl of Westmorland and Joan Beaufort - married in c.1396, but that still doesn't mean that Cecily (the youngest of their fourteen children IOTL) will even be born.

The meeting of egg and sperm is subject to extreme random chance, given how many things have to go exactly the same as they did IOTL, this is almost impossible to happen again, especially given how much time has elapsed since the PoD in your example (52 years), never mind assuming that two generations of people will be born and have the exact same life experiences during this time.

[/rant]

Well, yeah, pretty much this. Also, for another example the death of some Midwestern teenager in a car accident in 1962 would almost certainly not have butterflied the assassination of JFK in Dallas in '62, or even likely have had any notable effect on history in general, unless, perhaps, they were a well-known figure IOTL.

How about, it's the preference of the one who writes the timeline and everyone needs to chill their tits about it?

Yeah, good point. I mean, there are standards to which a TL can be looked at plausibility wise(for example, ours may be either a Type II or 2.5, or somewhere in between, depending on the circumstances), but authors also shouldn't feel terribly constrained, unless they choose to aim for a certain goal.

Asami

Banned
Yeah, good point. I mean, there are standards to which a TL can be looked at plausibility wise(for example, ours may be either a Type II or 2.5, or somewhere in between, depending on the circumstances), but authors also shouldn't feel terribly constrained, unless they choose to aim for a certain goal.

Absolutely. The Shield of Liberty is certainly a Type II or II½ alternate history by the merit that I don't find the process of in-depth hard counterfactual research to be fun. I rather like the idea of spinning narratives, something that I should have accepted and realized in the last iteration of it, but oh well. :p

Having OTL people born under ATL circumstances and making them different people despite the same person existing is what's fun.

Absolutely. The Shield of Liberty is certainly a Type II or II½ alternate history by the merit that I don't find the process of in-depth hard counterfactual research to be fun. I rather like the idea of spinning narratives, something that I should have accepted and realized in the last iteration of it, but oh well. :p

Having OTL people born under ATL circumstances and making them different people despite the same person existing is what's fun.

Yes, that's a very good point, and several other popular TLs have been between Type II & Type III as well: just look at Decades of Darkness as a good example-there was a substantial amount of hard research done, but what made it a Type II(besides the Draka-esque premise of the TL)lotta steering was done to the point where it not rarely stretched plausibility to a significant degree.....but the writing was well done by all accounts and it made for a good read.

And What Madness is This? is basically a Type III. But again, a fun read if you have a thing for dystopias.

Status
Not open for further replies.