Status
Not open for further replies.
Crossposting my MotF entry:

In 272, Emperor of the Gauls Tetricus and legitimate Roman Emperor Aurelain stage a mock battle, to justify the annexion of the usuprer Gaulsih empire into the Roman Empire once again. However, a young Armorican general known as Marcellus Decimus, unhappy with the return of the Gauls in the Roman Empire led his troops into battle, facing the unprepared Roman troops. After his clear victory at the Battle of Catalaunos, Marcellus was proclaimed by his soldiers Emperor of the Gauls. After gathering support from the Gaulish, he led his troops into invating Roman homeland, a conuqest finished by his son Agris. Now Marcellus II, third Emperor of All the Gauls, rules a powerful nation extending from the Pillarsof Hercules to the marshes of Batavia, and the rocky Armorican coasts to the warm Adriatic Sea. The revival of ancient Celtic culture accross Gaul is onwards, with druidism the official religion of the Emperor, with Catholicism and the roman Pantheon tolerated. The Italican Provinces, long under military rule to ensure their peace, are now accustomed to the rule of Lugdunum, and the challenges of the Gaulish lies no more in their borders but outside, from the powerful navy of the Panormian Empire, heir to Rome in the Mediterranean Islands and Africa and the powerful Greek Empire of Palmyra, claiming once again its ancestral lands of Italy and Massalia.

SMALL VERSION

1468845071-sans-titre.png

FULL VERSION DOWNLOAD LINK

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ey143jrdcdoi2af/Gaulish+empire.png

(the full version is too big on any picture host)

Crossposting my MotF entry:

In 272, Emperor of the Gauls Tetricus and legitimate Roman Emperor Aurelain stage a mock battle, to justify the annexion of the usuprer Gaulsih empire into the Roman Empire once again. However, a young Armorican general known as Marcellus Decimus, unhappy with the return of the Gauls in the Roman Empire led his troops into battle, facing the unprepared Roman troops. After his clear victory at the Battle of Catalaunos, Marcellus was proclaimed by his soldiers Emperor of the Gauls. After gathering support from the Gaulish, he led his troops into invating Roman homeland, a conuqest finished by his son Agris. Now Marcellus II, third Emperor of All the Gauls, rules a powerful nation extending from the Pillarsof Hercules to the marshes of Batavia, and the rocky Armorican coasts to the warm Adriatic Sea. The revival of ancient Celtic culture accross Gaul is onwards, with druidism the official religion of the Emperor, with Catholicism and the roman Pantheon tolerated. The Italican Provinces, long under military rule to ensure their peace, are now accustomed to the rule of Lugdunum, and the challenges of the Gaulish lies no more in their borders but outside, from the powerful navy of the Panormian Empire, heir to Rome in the Mediterranean Islands and Africa and the powerful Greek Empire of Palmyra, claiming once again its ancestral lands of Italy and Massalia.

SMALL VERSION

1468845071-sans-titre.png

FULL VERSION DOWNLOAD LINK

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ey143jrdcdoi2af/Gaulish+empire.png

(the full version is too big on any picture host)
Charlemagne before it was cool.

Beautiful Pasglop!

The Years of Rice and Salt continent maps will continue in a bit, but for now here's another ISOT.
Devanagari ISOT World- ज (pronounced 'Ja' like 'Giant')

In it, there are Djibouti (जिबूती- 'Jibootee'), Georgia (जॉर्जिया- 'Jorjiyaa'), Germany (जर्मनी- 'Jarmanee'), Jamaica (जमैका- 'Jamaekaa'), Japan (जापान- 'Jaapaan'), and Jordan (जॉर्डन- 'Jordan'). As I explained in the last ISOT post I made, there are several letters in Hindi which, when given a dot beneath them, take on a new sound (generally a sound that wasn't in Sanskrit and has since been added by foreign invaders to the language). ज with a dot becomes ज़, which is pronounced 'Za' (though many 'pure' Hindi speakers would read it as though there is no dot). So we also have Zambia (ज़ाम्बिया- 'Zaambiyaa') and Zimbabwe(ज़िम्बाब्वे- 'Zimbaabve').

A reasonably successful world, and one that has actually seen some important technological advancements. Here's the state of things 230 years after the ISOT;
untitled_by_goliath_maps-daakriy.png

Georgia had to immediately deal with wars against Abkhazia and South Ossetia, which did not go well for it. Djibouti and Zimbabwe immediately collapsed into civil war in the aftermath of the ISOT (though Djibouti pieced itself back together) and Zambia, though descending into a full-blown yet briefly stable autocracy under Edgar Lungu, fell apart after the death of his successor. Jamaica stayed alive, though with many sailing off to nearby islands to set up their own farms.

Parts of the world did amazingly well however; Germany and Japan easily had food, technology, and resources to survive. The problems they faced- an aging work force, stagnating societies, gradually turned around. For Japan the pivotal moment came as some sections of the (re-vamped in the face of a new world) military tried and failed to lead a coup against the Liberal Democratic Party of Japan- power in the Japanese Right and Far-Right, as well as the Emperor increased, though Japan remains a Democracy to this day. Germany too, gradually moved towards the right, sending refugees off with funds to form (or reform) their own countries (Turkey being the biggest success), and though it remains a Democracy the socio-political and military landscapes are completely altered. While Japan is a highly centralized state, Germany worked (at least initially) to recreate the European Union. Today, its functionings seem similar both to the Holy Roman Empire and to the United States.

Jordan attempted to keep up with the big two, and has been a wannabe power #3. Even moreso than the big two, it only has the trappings of an elite democracy; the monarchy reigns supreme. It's been hampered by a bad neighborhood (like the Middle East of today) and Japan preemptively taking the best Oil fields in Mesopotamia.

Germany is in a bit of a state of denial about the growing gap in power between it and Japan; Japan has founded numerous 'settler states' (like British dominions) of autonomous Japanese citizens around the globe. Some, like the Ganges one are even more conservative and Nationalist than Japan (which now includes much more than just the islands) itself. But most, needing large amounts of low-wage laborers to be economically feasible, are very very ethnically diverse, and prone to attract the sort of immigrants from Japan who feel stifled in what has become an increasingly rigid and insular society. The Djibouti diaspora for instance, now claims more members in Japanese settler states than the population of Djibouti.

The European Union (as Germany is fond of calling itself) has colonies too- the food and oil that those in Texas and Venezuela bring is invaluable- and one of the Jamaican states- Florida- has become a rich and stable democracy, as well as a bit of a German protectorate. But it is truly Japan that rules the waves. Though there may some low level tensions, the big two still get along relatively well. Both maintain an elitist sense of culture which prevents them from openly admitting that they have functioning militaries (though they plainly do) or have stockpiles of nuclear weapons (they secretly do). Though they trade researchers and scientists plenty often (most scientists in this world are fluent in one or both German and Japanese) politically speaking, they are content to leave one another alone.

Jcw3

Banned
@Goliath, why are there interior parts of Iberia colonized, but not parts of the coast? Wouldn't it be the other way around?

I should also say that the map as a whole is spectacular. Excellent work.

Beautiful Pasglop!

The Years of Rice and Salt continent maps will continue in a bit, but for now here's another ISOT.

In it, there are Djibouti (जिबूती- 'Jibootee'), Georgia (जॉर्जिया- 'Jorjiyaa'), Germany (जर्मनी- 'Jarmanee'), Jamaica (जमैका- 'Jamaekaa'), Japan (जापान- 'Jaapaan'), and Jordan (जॉर्डन- 'Jordan'). As I explained in the last ISOT post I made, there are several letters in Hindi which, when given a dot beneath them, take on a new sound (generally a sound that wasn't in Sanskrit and has since been added by foreign invaders to the language). ज with a dot becomes ज़, which is pronounced 'Za' (though many 'pure' Hindi speakers would read it as though there is no dot). So we also have Zambia (ज़ाम्बिया- 'Zaambiyaa') and Zimbabwe(ज़िम्बाब्वे- 'Zimbaabve').
The Palestian half of Jordan annoyed by the name or were they content to wait a few generations at which point they had mingled enough to meld together?

Beautiful Pasglop!

A reasonably successful world, and one that has actually seen some important technological advancements. Here's the state of things 230 years after the ISOT;
untitled_by_goliath_maps-daakriy.png

Georgia had to immediately deal with wars against Abkhazia and South Ossetia, which did not go well for it. Djibouti and Zimbabwe immediately collapsed into civil war in the aftermath of the ISOT (though Djibouti pieced itself back together) and Zambia, though descending into a full-blown yet briefly stable autocracy under Edgar Lungu, fell apart after the death of his successor. Jamaica stayed alive, though with many sailing off to nearby islands to set up their own farms.

Parts of the world did amazingly well however; Germany and Japan easily had food, technology, and resources to survive. The problems they faced- an aging work force, stagnating societies, gradually turned around. For Japan the pivotal moment came as some sections of the (re-vamped in the face of a new world) military tried and failed to lead a coup against the Liberal Democratic Party of Japan- power in the Japanese Right and Far-Right, as well as the Emperor increased, though Japan remains a Democracy to this day. Germany too, gradually moved towards the right, sending refugees off with funds to form (or reform) their own countries (Turkey being the biggest success), and though it remains a Democracy the socio-political and military landscapes are completely altered. While Japan is a highly centralized state, Germany worked (at least initially) to recreate the European Union. Today, its functionings seem similar both to the Holy Roman Empire and to the United States.

Jordan attempted to keep up with the big two, and has been a wannabe power #3. Even moreso than the big two, it only has the trappings of an elite democracy; the monarchy reigns supreme. It's been hampered by a bad neighborhood (like the Middle East of today) and Japan preemptively taking the best Oil fields in Mesopotamia.

Germany is in a bit of a state of denial about the growing gap in power between it and Japan; Japan has founded numerous 'settler states' (like British dominions) of autonomous Japanese citizens around the globe. Some, like the Ganges one are even more conservative and Nationalist than Japan (which now includes much more than just the islands) itself. But most, needing large amounts of low-wage laborers to be economically feasible, are very very ethnically diverse, and prone to attract the sort of immigrants from Japan who feel stifled in what has become an increasingly rigid and insular society. The Djibouti diaspora for instance, now claims more members in Japanese settler states than the population of Djibouti.

The European Union (as Germany is fond of calling itself) has colonies too- the food and oil that those in Texas and Venezuela bring is invaluable- and one of the Jamaican states- Florida- has become a rich and stable democracy, as well as a bit of a German protectorate. But it is truly Japan that rules the waves. Though there may some low level tensions, the big two still get along relatively well. Both maintain an elitist sense of culture which prevents them from openly admitting that they have functioning militaries (though they plainly do) or have stockpiles of nuclear weapons (they secretly do). Though they trade researchers and scientists plenty often (most scientists in this world are fluent in one or both German and Japanese) politically speaking, they are content to leave one another alone.

Would you consider making a map thread like Beedok has? I would love to see your maps gathered into one thread.

I remember either 1 or 2 map threads ago there was a map series about a secessionist northern United States scenario slowly turning into George Orwell's 1984. Does anyone have a link or generally know where I could find it? Many thanks.

I remember either 1 or 2 map threads ago there was a map series about a secessionist northern United States scenario slowly turning into George Orwell's 1984. Does anyone have a link or generally know where I could find it? Many thanks.
I saved them back then (because I always save worldas I like to act as resources and inspiration for my own work). It's by Ephraim Ben Raphael, I know that for sure, but I don't know the posts where he posted them exactly, so no write-up, sadly.

But at least here are the files! http://imgur.com/a/JkVnG

a lazy map since I won't be able to post another installment in my Western Roman survival map series for a while.

It's 2024 and the world's having fun.

-Deutsche bank goes belly up in 2016 causing another recession.
-Hillary Clinton got elected.
-Scotland held a referendum and left the UK in 2017
-the ongoing situation in Oaxaca got worse turning into a borderline civil war that only further delegitimized the incompetent PRI government.
-France had a military coup in 2017 after a very shady election which narrowly kept the Front National out of the presidency was followed by the worst terrorist attack in French history. General Didier Tauzin was placed in power by the military.
-The last vestiges of statehood disappear in Venezuela after a failed coup. The nation collapses into failed statehood. Millions of Venezuelan refugees move into the neighboring states and into the US,
-The Syrian Civil War ended in 2018 with the US and it's allies in Syria, and ISIS defeated by Assad and Russia.
-Putin uses the victory and popular support to change the Russian constitution to allow him to run for president again.
-he wins
-Iran got the atomic bomb in 2019
-Saudi Arabia bought their own not long after.
-Prairiexit sees the birth of the Western Canadian Republic.
-The Democratic controlled congress pushes through a blanket amnesty bill.
-The drought in California gets so bad that the Peripheral Canal gets green lit, the construction of the canal will be plagued by a bizarre convergence of right-wing and eco-terrorist attacks. Neither groups are fond of each other, but both see the threat the cnal poses to Northern California.
-2020 Ted Cruz is defeated by Hillary Clinton.
-2021 Supreme Court rules the second amendment does not guarantee the people the right to own firearms.
-Texit 2022 referendum sees 55% of Texans vote to secede from the Union.
-Iranian-Saudi war begins and ends. Tehran is destroyed and so is Baghdad (prompting another civil war in Iraq) but Iran survives the conflict while Saudi Arabia collapses causing oil prices to sky rocket.
-2023 Supreme Court Says Texas can't secede. Texas responds saying that they do not recognize the authority the court gave itself in Marbury v. Madison. Tensions begin to get incredibly heated as the American and global economies implode.
-There are secession referendums on ballot in four states in the 2024 election.
texit.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.