At this point in time ITTL, there are rumors going around the gaming industry that Sony is working on a video game console of their own. The PS1 will be unveiled in-universe very soon. Can't wait to see a TL where the PS1 has to work to compete against Nintendo and Sega.
Yes indeed.

I will have to show how Sony is reacting to the news of Nintendo and Philips team-up, as well as the PlayStation being first shown in these coming updates.

To spoil as less at possible, John Kricfalusi is in big trouble over these next chapters….
Interesting. Is he going to be exposed as a perverted freak earlier ITTL or is he going to simply get criticised and/or outed from Spümcø for other reasons, probably unfavourable creative control and disgusting tendencies?

Last edited:
Interesting. Is he going to be exposed as a perverted freak earlier ITTL or is he going to simply get criticised and/or outed from Spümcø for other reasons, probably unfavourable creative control and disgusting tendencies?
I prefer to keep it a surprise when it comes as it’s actually different than either of the ones you’ve mentioned - but it is closer to the latter outcome.

I prefer to keep it a surprise when it comes as it’s actually different than either of the ones you’ve mentioned - but it is closer to the latter outcome.
I don't want to spoil anything, but I'd say ol' Jonny boy gets dragged off screaming.

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

Well everyone, looks like I’ve won the Turtledove Award for Best Pop Culture Timeline. This calls for a celebration!!!!

Thank you all so much for the time and attention - especially help - you've given me - I really appreciate it a lot! And that's not even speaking of some of the other great TLs I've seen get nominated for the award, such as @QTXAdsy 's The Fingerprints of Epstein, @Tacomaster 's Merrily We Roll Along, and @Jay_Maxu 's Ease on Down the Road. Any doubt in my mind about me completing the TL or starting over are basically gone now, so this TL is here to stay - and it will continue to receive updates thanks to the recognition I have received.

With that out of the way, I have a couple of things to share with y'all moving forward. First, as you can clearly tell by my last update - the butterflies that have flapped their wings since "Yodelin' Yaks" aired are now starting to have some serious ramifications. After this point, you will start to see these butterflies start to show later this year - as movies, shows, and even video games will all start to show noticable differences compared to OTL. This is something I have yet to fully address, because I have my own personal thoughts on the butterfly effect and how it relates to both "normal" TLs and "pop culture" TLs. In the meantime, my next updates will start showing more media outside of our main subjects to show how things are changing with regards to the huge success of both Ren & Stimpy and Nirvana. These will include fictional pieces of what we call clickbait "Top 10" or "Retrospective" articles, alternate movie reviews, alternate YouTube videos, and more standalone updates like my last one.

Speaking of which, I have the outlines written and planned out for the next seven chapters, and they will come out sometime in March or early April at latest. These should bring us up to January 1994. Speaking in the medium term, I should say that once we get to January 1995 sometime around May - I will take a rather long break to recharge my creative energies and look more into potential ideas and divergences that could effect things down the road as we inch further and further to the year 2000. I expect the next wave of updates - which I will upload consistently since they will be pre-written - will appear sometime around September.

And again, these are all a general idea of when they come out, since due to IRL obligations like school, writer's block, and just plain procrastination - I'm not really able to establish a consistent update schedule without seeing my writing quality dip or losing track of my studies. Things should hopefully get better once I return to updating the TL this fall.

With that all said and done, thank you guys once again for the support - and I hope you guys stay tuned for the next wave of updates coming soon!!!
Congratulations mate, well deserved victory, bit of a close contest at times between our two TL's but I suppose coming a runner up behind you is still something to shout about.

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

Well everyone, looks like I’ve won the Turtledove Award for Best Pop Culture Timeline. This calls for a celebration!!!!

Thank you all so much for the time and attention - especially help - you've given me - I really appreciate it a lot! And that's not even speaking of some of the other great TLs I've seen get nominated for the award, such as @QTXAdsy 's The Fingerprints of Epstein, @Tacomaster 's Merrily We Roll Along, and @Jay_Maxu 's Ease on Down the Road. Any doubt in my mind about me completing the TL or starting over are basically gone now, so this TL is here to stay - and it will continue to receive updates thanks to the recognition I have received.

With that out of the way, I have a couple of things to share with y'all moving forward. First, as you can clearly tell by my last update - the butterflies that have flapped their wings since "Yodelin' Yaks" aired are now starting to have some serious ramifications. After this point, you will start to see these butterflies start to show later this year - as movies, shows, and even video games will all start to show noticable differences compared to OTL. This is something I have yet to fully address, because I have my own personal thoughts on the butterfly effect and how it relates to both "normal" TLs and "pop culture" TLs. In the meantime, my next updates will start showing more media outside of our main subjects to show how things are changing with regards to the huge success of both Ren & Stimpy and Nirvana. These will include fictional pieces of what we call clickbait "Top 10" or "Retrospective" articles, alternate movie reviews, alternate YouTube videos, and more standalone updates like my last one.

Speaking of which, I have the outlines written and planned out for the next seven chapters, and they will come out sometime in March or early April at latest. These should bring us up to January 1994. Speaking in the medium term, I should say that once we get to January 1995 sometime around May - I will take a rather long break to recharge my creative energies and look more into potential ideas and divergences that could effect things down the road as we inch further and further to the year 2000. I expect the next wave of updates - which I will upload consistently since they will be pre-written - will appear sometime around September.

And again, these are all a general idea of when they come out, since due to IRL obligations like school, writer's block, and just plain procrastination - I'm not really able to establish a consistent update schedule without seeing my writing quality dip or losing track of my studies. Things should hopefully get better once I return to updating the TL this fall.

With that all said and done, thank you guys once again for the support - and I hope you guys stay tuned for the next wave of updates coming soon!!!
Good job!

I've recently been getting into pop culture TLs and of all the ones I've read, this is far and away my favorite. The recent Turtledove win was definitely well-deserved, but even if it didn't win, it wouldn't change my thoughts in the slightest. I can't wait to see what other developments and changes, both positive and negative, come about in the near future. Keep up the good work!

I've recently been getting into pop culture TLs and of all the ones I've read, this is far and away my favorite. The recent Turtledove win was definitely well-deserved, but even if it didn't win, it wouldn't change my thoughts in the slightest. I can't wait to see what other developments and changes, both positive and negative, come about in the near future. Keep up the good work!
Thanks very much!!

What are your favorite parts so far?

So far, the whole thing with Gwen Stefani and Kurt Cobain dating and how "small world" it is on the Nirvana side, and the whole "psychodrama" blog post on the Ren & Stimpy side.
Well that’s great! Yeah those are probably the best chapters I’ve written so far. But I’m currently planning on a huge wave of updates that should come out before the month is over - and these should bring us up to the next year by the time it’s all published.

Well that’s great! Yeah those are probably the best chapters I’ve written so far. But I’m currently planning on a huge wave of updates that should come out before the month is over - and these should bring us up to the next year by the time it’s all published.
Awesome, looking forward to it!

Illusion of Gaia
Developer: Quintet
Publisher: Enix
Platforms: SNES, SNES-CD
JP release: November 1993
US release: October 1994
PAL release: March 1995

Illusion of Gaia (released in Japan as Gaia Gensoki and PAL regions as Illusion of Time) is a dual format action RPG developed by Quintet and published by Enix. The game follows the adventures of a young psychic named Will, as he travels the world during an age of exploration. During his journey, he meets different friends and foes.

==Development==
Originally intended to be a cartridge exclusive, the resumption of development on the SNES-CD in late 1992 meant that Quintet decided to give the game an SNES-CD version. The SNES-CD version has Redbook audio for its whole soundtrack, small loading times and because of the stronger processor of the SNES-CD, the glitch that lets you despawn the barrier leading to the final boss early is impossible on CD.

==Sales==
In Japan, the cartridge version sold much better than the CD version, as early Super Famicom CD owners who wanted an RPG ended up choosing Secret of Mana instead. The SNES-CD version sold better outside Japan than it did in Japan.

Last edited:

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Illusion of Gaia

Illusion of Gaia (released in Japan as Gaia Gensoki and PAL regions as Illusion of Time) is a dual format action RPG developed by Quintet and published by Enix. The game follows the adventures of a young psychic named Will, as he travels the world during an age of exploration. During his journey, he meets different friends and foes.

==Development==
Originally intended to be a cartridge exclusive, the resumption of development on the SNES-CD in late 1992 meant that Quintet decided to give the game an SNES-CD version. The SNES-CD version has Redbook audio for its whole soundtrack, small loading times and because of the stronger processor of the SNES-CD, the glitch that lets you despawn the barrier leading to the final boss early is impossible on CD.

==Sales==
In Japan, the cartridge version sold much better than the CD version, as early Super Famicom CD owners who wanted an RPG ended up choosing Secret of Mana instead. The SNES-CD version sold better outside Japan than it did in Japan.
Near as I can tell, this has pretty much ZIP to do with this thread.

Near as I can tell, this has pretty much ZIP to do with this thread.
Actually, this TL does have an SNES-CD because Philips tried cashing in on Ren and Stimpy with a knockoff game called Yodel Boys for the CD-I that failed so bad they were forced to discontinue the CD-I and work with Nintendo for real. In the January 1993 update, TTL's SNES-CD was unveiled at the Consumer Electronics Show. Thus, the SNES-CD existing means that gaming changes are a part of TTL, and Enix will want to support the newly unveiled add-on.

Last edited:

AeroTheZealousOne

Monthly Donor
Actually, this TL does have an SNES-CD because Philips tried cashing in on Ren and Stimpy with a knockoff game called Yodel Boys for the CD-I that failed so bad they were forced to discontinue the CD-I and work with Nintendo for real. In the January 1993 update, TTL's SNES-CD was unveiled at the Consumer Electronics Show. Thus, the SNES-CD existing means that gaming changes are a part of TTL, and Enix will want to support the newly unveiled add-on.

The thing is... as far as I'm aware this isn't a collaborative timeline. I'm sure the OP appreciates your enthusiasm and interest, and admittedly I did enjoy Illusion of Gaia when I got around to playing it back during the pandemic, but usually folks reach out to the author if they have anything they wish to directly contribute to a work, including but not limited to portions of chapters or guest entries. Otherwise such entries are dismissed outright as being non-canonical, either through contradiction or otherwise.

Granted, the console may exist here under different circumstances but... it's not one of the central foci of the TL despite its mention. I absolutely know you mean well and want to help flesh out this particular world, but despite the best of intentions it can be seen as unwelcome, or even an outright thread derailment. All that's being asked is to be more careful and to try and reach out to an author directly if there is anything that you think would make an excellent addition to the TL

Illusion of Gaia

==Development==

==Sales==
@CourtlyHades296 I know you are anxious to see more updates, but it's unacceptable for you to do this type of stuff in my thread without my permission. Please do not do that again. I appreciate you wanting to flesh out my world and I have considered opening a photos/images thread in the future, but now is not the time.
The thing is... as far as I'm aware this isn't a collaborative timeline. I'm sure the OP appreciates your enthusiasm and interest, and admittedly I did enjoy Illusion of Gaia when I got around to playing it back during the pandemic, but usually folks reach out to the author if they have anything they wish to directly contribute to a work, including but not limited to portions of chapters or guest entries. Otherwise such entries are dismissed outright as being non-canonical, either through contradiction or otherwise.

Granted, the console may exist here under different circumstances but... it's not one of the central foci of the TL despite its mention. I absolutely know you mean well and want to help flesh out this particular world, but despite the best of intentions it can be seen as unwelcome, or even an outright thread derailment. All that's being asked is to be more careful and to try and reach out to an author directly if there is anything that you think would make an excellent addition to the TL
Well said.