Well if Sipang and Antarctique are going to produce basically the same agricultural products, the European market will have an intense competition between these two nations.

Well spain vs the world, the 16th and 17th century classic.
Krilla will also be part of the competition given it was a great producer of wealth as OTL Jamaica and the other Islands in the Caribbean are still free game for let's say... The Danes and the Dutch, not to mention that the South of the USA is still pretty much unclaimed yet.

Indeed and with a stronger France as well as Ottomans not broken at seas like OTL, Phillip II will have a much harder time defending the empire although he will be seen even better by future Spaniards for defending the motherland against all these foreign invaders.

I wonder, will "Brésil" stick to that name after it goes independent(assuming it does)?
Its in the TL's title so I think it'll stay but I wonder how the full thing will go, I mean no portuguese expected this place to end up called "República Federativa do Brasil"
I'm still debating on that but so far I think Antartactique would end up like a second name for the colony in a way, in the official documents is "Brésil" but everyone just calls it "Antartactique" to the point it sorta becomes the official name after a while

I'm still debating on that but so far I think Antartactique would end up like a second name for the colony in a way, in the official documents is "Brésil" but everyone just calls it "Antartactique" to the point it sorta becomes the official name after a while
Huh, I actually thought it would be the other way around because Brésil is easier to say
Then again Im not french so how the heck would I know

I wonder, will "Brésil" stick to that name after it goes independent(assuming it does)?
It depends Brésil can be one of the nicknames in the nation/colony/domain whatever it is in the future. With the official name being Antarctique something. I tend to prefer Antarctique for its great difference with the name Brazil (Besides the fact that ITTL would have two Antarcticas in the world).
Its in the TL's title so I think it'll stay but I wonder how the full thing will go, I mean no portuguese expected this place to end up called "República Federativa do Brasil"
Good thing because you only need to put a democratic in front and you have a name of a communist dictatorship nation of the 60s, The democratic federative republic of Brazil. I prefer simpler names, The Federation of Brazil or Republic of Brazil sound much better

I like how inovative it is too
Like I do think Brazil is a good name and rolls the tongue better, but its about time we had it be called something else in other TLs

La Antarctique Fédération?
:p
True! I do agree that having different name from alt Brazil is always nice... After all, what's the point of making alt history of you're just gonna name things the same? But I can also understand the difficulty of naming something original, especially from a culture you don't know much from, that doesn't end up sounding lame or just plain uncreative.

Antarctique was originally applied to the French colony in southern Brazil, while the later northern colony got the name of Equinoxie. I honestly still think that French Brazil could be split into multiple countries, one of which would be called Antarctique (likely the southern Huguenot country) and another Equinoxie (a northern Catholic one).

Krilla will also be part of the competition given it was a great producer of wealth as OTL Jamaica and the other Islands in the Caribbean are still free game for let's say... The Danes and the Dutch, not to mention that the South of the USA is still pretty much unclaimed yet.
This is true, but Jamaica does not have the productive capacity of Haiti or Brazil, but for Sweden it will be an income that will help a lot, especially in terms of piracy. At otl, the island only started to produce sugar after the Dutch (In the mid-17th century) who taught local producers how to make this product (before that, the island produced tobacco and cotton). Only in the 18th century did sugar replace piracy as Jamaica's main source of income and with that Jamaica became the largest exporter of sugar in the British Empire. Now the island will grow in importance if the Swedes can get a trade deal with the Russians. Especially if it is an exclusive or preferred purchase of sugar from sweden. I see the other islands being used more to attack the Spanish gold ships and future English sugar production.
Indeed and with a stronger France as well as Ottomans not broken at seas like OTL, Phillip II will have a much harder time defending the empire although he will be seen even better by future Spaniards for defending the motherland against all these foreign invaders.
The mountain range between France and Spain prevents a major invasion. The Austrians will probably be able to hold off the Ottomans for the same reasons in the OTL (and to be honest the Ottomans' worst enemy was themselves). the biggest problem for the spanish people will be the lowlands (and maybe milan) Sicily/southern italy is safely in spanish hands for the foreseeable future.
Antarctique was originally applied to the French colony in southern Brazil, while the later northern colony got the name of Equinoxie.
If the colony holds together in the future a third name may be born for the entire nation.
I honestly still think that French Brazil could be split into multiple countries, one of which would be called Antarctique (likely the southern Huguenot country) and another Equinoxie (a northern Catholic one).
This is a very high possibility to happen. The biggest impasse for the OTL Antarctica region (aka Rio de Janeiro) to remain with a Protestant majority is gold fever that will basically bury the colony with Catholics coming from all over France (besides probably other regions of Europe that are friends of France, such as Switzerland . At otl, the French colony in Rio had a contingent of Scotsmen, for example). I think it's more likely the region that will be very Protestant is further south, with the gold rush pushing these people to OTL southern Brazil (depending on the situation they will advance on the colony of La Plata too). Other factors for a future division or not of the colony as the power of the central government for example.

True! I do agree that having different name from alt Brazil is always nice... After all, what's the point of making alt history of you're just gonna name things the same? But I can also understand the difficulty of naming something original, especially from a culture you don't know much from, that doesn't end up sounding lame or just plain uncreative.
Or weird :p
Says the person who named Brazil as Roraima in their timeline~
Antarctique was originally applied to the French colony in southern Brazil, while the later northern colony got the name of Equinoxie. I honestly still think that French Brazil could be split into multiple countries, one of which would be called Antarctique (likely the southern Huguenot country) and another Equinoxie (a northern Catholic one).
This is a very high possibility to happen. The biggest impasse for the OTL Antarctica region (aka Rio de Janeiro) to remain with a Protestant majority is gold fever that will basically bury the colony with Catholics coming from all over France (besides probably other regions of Europe that are friends of France, such as Switzerland . At otl, the French colony in Rio had a contingent of Scotsmen, for example). I think it's more likely the region that will be very Protestant is further south, with the gold rush pushing these people to OTL southern Brazil (depending on the situation they will advance on the colony of La Plata too). Other factors for a future division or not of the colony as the power of the central government for example.
Very true, but as someone looking for a Brazil wank I hope this doesnt jinx it >.>

Or weird :p
Says the person who named Brazil as Roraima in their timeline~

Very true, but as someone looking for a Brazil wank I hope this doesnt jinx it >.>
This will be part of the conflict later down the line but that will only come much later when I actually need to worry about it. Plus, we can't discard that Jewish people are also moving a lot there and will be the third biggest religious group around, it would be fun seeing Brazil being sort of a "Second Israel" in the New World, which could have interesting developments on something like Zionism

Regional and religious disputes will occur, especially in a nation of this size. At the same time, the country can split and unify after a few years of war. But in general I think it will remain unified due to the French government centralization in the colony.
Plus, we can't discard that Jewish people are also moving a lot there and will be the third biggest religious group around, it would be fun seeing Brazil being sort of a "Second Israel" in the New World, which could have interesting developments on something like Zionism
I think this is something for much more in the future. As a whole Jews are an urban group so I think they are more likely to immigrate to France than to the colony. At otl they immigrate en masse in the 19th and 20th century. I think that would be the period that would have this type of immigration due to the urbanization of the new world. But I think the colony will have Jews but they will be a very minority group. The first Jews who arrived in South America were Sephardic Jews who, after being expelled from Brazil by the Portuguese, settled in the northeast Dutch colony. Kahal Zur Israel Synagogue was the first synagogue in the Americas, established in Recife in 1636 and a community of about 1450 Sephardic Jews lived there. So in that period they would be +-3% of the population, I think it would be something like that. In some periods they would be 4% of the population and in other periods they would be 2%. But something around 2%/3% or even 4% would be likely (the US has something around 2.2% of the population being Jewish).

Regional and religious disputes will occur, especially in a nation of this size. At the same time, the country can split and unify after a few years of war. But in general I think it will remain unified due to the French government centralization in the colony.

I think this is something for much more in the future. As a whole Jews are an urban group so I think they are more likely to immigrate to France than to the colony. At otl they immigrate en masse in the 19th and 20th century. I think that would be the period that would have this type of immigration due to the urbanization of the new world. But I think the colony will have Jews but they will be a very minority group. The first Jews who arrived in South America were Sephardic Jews who, after being expelled from Brazil by the Portuguese, settled in the northeast Dutch colony. Kahal Zur Israel Synagogue was the first synagogue in the Americas, established in Recife in 1636 and a community of about 1450 Sephardic Jews lived there. So in that period they would be +-3% of the population, I think it would be something like that. In some periods they would be 4% of the population and in other periods they would be 2%. But something around 2%/3% or even 4% would be likely (the US has something around 2.2% of the population being Jewish).
Most of them are going to the colony because they don't have to pay taxes there, mainly to cities like Salvador, Henriville, São Vicente, Olinda and OTL Recife as well as some other cities that will be founded soon. I will touch this in the next chapter that is the Brazil update but already they'll be of big importance to the colony.

Chapter 5: Springtime for the Admiral, his garden and his ships.
As victory was assured for the French and many Portuguese left from the defeated colony, Coligny had to put his sword down and deal with the realities of actually administering a colony, installing himself in the capital of Salvador, the admiral turned Governor General started the rebuilding as well as an series of reforms he wanted to implement.

Firstly, with the capital of Brazil being wrecked by the fighting, he took the opportunity to implement the grid he wanted all future cities(especially capitals) to be based in a few characteristics: Starting with the layout of the cities with broad long streets made up in grid to allow for the circulation of people and goods, the administrative buildings and houses of commerce would be in the center of it all, the focal point where the whole city would need to converge to, it was also stressed the "taming" of the soil, mainly by the draining of swamps(which unbeknownst to him, would make much to drop the death rates via things like yellow fever now that mosquitos didn't have as good of a breeding area) as well as the building of infrastructure that would help in moving around like bridges that connected plots of land together as well as canals and roads, pavementing the streets, at least in the areas considered "important", would do very much in helping making the cities more attractive to live and conduct business in[1]. For coastal towns, the enlargement of the harbors for transporting of goods and troops was also seen as mandatory alongside better manning, installation of more batteries and having the fortresses with its walls further stuffed with dirt to make them better resistant towards cannon fire.

Friburgum.jpg

Example of the city Coligny would've wanted, he was quite the perfectionist.

On paper, this guideline was ideal and places like Henriville, Salvador, Ilhéus, Porto Seguro, Port-Vitrail(OTL Recife), Natal and Olinda all managed to implement most of those(Port-Vitrail in particular took those to heart as a way to show off their "superiority" towards their rivals in Olinda), many towns in the interior or even coastal towns without much importance were not, while many of the ideas were good those places simply lacked the money or materials to properly update their layouts, while they would implement the cheapest ones or ones that had more immediate pressing benefits that the places needed. So while Coligny had certainly implemented the right ideas, it was still far from being his desired effect, nonetheless he considered it a victory.

Up next in his priorities was the establishment of proper land grants and how they should be classified, meeting with members of the Fazenda[2] (the Portuguese name for the ministry responsible for finances which they would retain out of a simple fondness) he delineated a guideline on how the plantations would be taxed: for example, a large sugar cane plantation with plenty of slaves and good production would significantly pay more taxes compared to a medium plot of land where 3 or 5 slaves worked on. It would also help with census gathering and better organize the tax collection and give an approximate number of how much the colony was making, the same process was applied to merchants, officials and others who had some significant wealth in order to properly catalog everything and serve as a base for future census.

Of course this was met with resistance, mainly from the Luso-Brazilian landowners [3] as well as emerging "Tobacco Barons" and "Coffee Marquis" of French origin, but given the fact the three main man in the colony where military man with complete loyalty of the army and navy, revolt was just asking for suicide, although the grumbling continued and the Lusitanian elite wouldn't forget this slight…

Speaking of them, there was another controversy thanks to the non Catholics moving in, mainly the Calvinists that while most decided going further South was ideal, many were still attracted to the already large population centers in the northeast for economic reasons if not by anything else, meanwhile the new Jewish population was even worse in the eyes of the Luso given many remembered when the Inquisition came in to reinforce orthodoxy and while many New Christians and Crypto Jews were finally happy to see that their religion was now free to be practiced and indeed many started to openly practice their religion in the open, although some still did it hidden knowing the situation was far from stable. This was "solved" by the fact that the countryside remained still in the control of the original Portuguese while the Jews preferred sticking to the cities and the Huguenots were also mostly city dwellers in the northeast but became more rural the further South they went.

Sinagoga_Kahal_Zur_Israel%2C_Recife%2C_Pernambuco%2C_Brasil.jpg

Synagogue Kahal Zur Israel, the oldest one in the New World and founded in Port-Vitrail and yet another reason for it to feel superior towards their rivals in Olinda.

A small passion project Coligny would start in his own however would the Jardin Botanique Royal (Royal Botanical Garden), an initiative he started once he had received the coffee beans and the Dragon's Blood tree seeds from his admiral friend[4] decided these would be put to better use beyond just economic reasons, he knew that Brazil and the new world in general were home to many incredible types of plants that the natives used for medicinal reasons not to mention cooking or dye extraction, the benefits were obvious and soon Coligny established a "reward law" where someone could receive a payment for giving him rare seeds of the plants alongside what exactly they were useful for, to prevent people from giving him simple seeds and claim it was something else, payment wouldn't be delivered until the plant was fully mature.

Soon enough, people from all over the colony and especially natives from the more friendly tribes were eager to share and even some freed Africans brought stuff like coconuts, bananas and oil palm trees to be planted. The result was a massive complex of a multitude of plants from all over Brazil, it would expand in the future as more of the colony was conquered and others plants from around the world would be delivered in, each plant was registered in a book detailing it's life cycle, any potential hazards, how to grow it properly, how it looked and smelled as well as the uses it could have, copies of the book were made and sent all over the major cities in case it was ever needed as well as to France, much to the delight of botanists who were supremely interested in how the flora of the New World and beyond worked.

An final idea was that the seeds could be distributed around in someway, to many people, the New World was akin to a Eden waiting to be colonized and named much like Adam had done, therefore it was not seen as a problem for the seeds to be spread around, something especially useful for the farmers or plantation owners looking to diversify what they were growing and even the more rich urbanites making their inland gardens. The idea proved so popular it actually became official in France where the government stockpiled seeds from various foods the peasants usually planted like wheat, maize, turnips, garlic alongside those coming from the New World and beyond like rice, corn, tomatoes and potatoes. The latter of which was perfect in making the population of France explode, especially in the regions that were getting depopulated as emigration towards the New World and towards the growing cities was really picking up and of course the extra population meant not only higher birth rates and bigger numbers of people around but also meant an increase in people going to Brazil (and to a lesser extent, Africa).

Coligny also oversaw the founding of two important cities: St. Louis(OTL…. São Luis)[5] and Dorian (OTL Belém do Pará), both founded on natural harbors and the latter on the mouth of the Amazon river and therefore a perfect staging ground for any inland incursions, the fortress Charlemagne and Charles Martel respectively defending the two burgeoning cities, for now they would remain small but both would be important later on.[6]

centro-historico.1.jpg

Example of the architecture used in Saint Louis by the mixed French Catholic and Luso colonizers, the use of tiles was so well received the local mayor actually forbid any other type of material be used in the construction of "important" buildings like government offices and ministers as well as the home of the wealthy. The "exotic" buildings and houses would be cause of pride for the people, even if they weren't aware it wasn't actually all that Arabic and actually pretty common in the Iberian countries.

Finally there was the aspect of slaves, simply put, with the introduction of tobacco and coffee that were fiercely competing with sugar(especially as British and Swedish production took off in the West Indies), the demand for slaves, both from Africa and America became much more intense, in this, the people of São Paulo proved themselves exceptional in bringing in droves of captured native slaves towards the plantations all over Brazil, the interior brutally raided by what the Jesuits and other defenders of natives called "the pirates of the Sertão"[7], while Coligny wasn't exactly thrilled hearing what they were doing, it was still bringing in slaves as well as conveniently "emptying" space for arriving colonists and plantations. These raids against native tribes by the Paulistas wouldn't be the first nor especially the last, soon enough, the Bandeirantes would terrorize the Sertão for decades as much as they would be essential in mapping out the interior and making a clear map of expansion.

But while the Ameridian slaves were good, there was the fact that they simply weren't built for the intense sugar plantations and even the less demanding coffee and tobacco ones prove too much for them who are not used to both such intense work hours under the harsh sun nor to the brutality of the whip, thus they die in droves, which increases their demands and the Paulistas are more than eager to raid deeper and deeper into the interior to meet the demands of the market, during these raids, the first maps of the interior detailing rivers, mountains and other natural landmarks start to show up, them being promptly copied and sent to the office of the General-Governor who starts giving orders for the settlement of the "empty plots of land" as well as giving charters towards "any willing man to take up arms and men and brave the interior in search of precious gemstones and metals or slaves" all but making the practice of it something legal and sanctioned by the government, while those in the northeast and as far as Henriville wouldn't be too much enthusiastic about it given the production of monocultures in their states already, São Paulo so far proved to be the only one where there was a sufficient number of "explorers" to take up the gun and sword.

This meant of course that the importation of African slaves was driving up even more, to the point Portugal was actually unable to keep with demand as they sent Africans to both their colonies and the French ones, thankfully negotiations had abound by the Portuguese and French government about the situation and the monopoly was ended[8], although Portugal would still have a presence in selling slaves, the Compagnie Royale Africaine(Royal African Company) would be using the fort Trois Rois to send slaves from the Gulf of Biafra towards Brazil, first making a stop at Principe and São Tomé to resupply (which made those Islands more important) before heading off and landing in Salvador, Recife, Olinda, Natal, Henriville, etc. The company was the first example of taking a page out of the Dutch book in the concept of "shares" with the government having 51% of the company and the rest made up of private investors, and while it would the major one, other companies[9] would soon come and start supplying the colony with more slaves.

Gulf_of_Guinea_%28English%29.jpg

The aforementioned Bight of Biafra, it would be the main place the French colonists would get their slaves from alongside those of Angola and Mozambique brought over by the still present
Portuguese.

The last noteworthy event was the sacking of Olinda by the captain Francis Drake who set off with sugar, tobacco, coffee as well even some seeds that were to be sent towards France, the result was both the second rebuilding of the city well as the installation of "proper" dockyards in the colony, setting up themselves in Recife, Salvador and Henriville, the French Royal Navy would use the place both as basis for defending the waters from pirates as well as the building of more ships for the navy given that France didn't have many good ports nor good wood for ships, therefore the Brazil wood and harbors in the colony were key in making some of the best ships of the navy and thus starting a sort of triangle trade[10] between the 3 colonies of Cape Verde, Arcadia and Brazil: in Cape Verde it served as the main stop for ships coming in from both France and colonies, where sailors would resupply and rest and the ships would get repaired, from there, the orders for ships were sent towards Brazil where they would be built with Brazil wood before going to Cape Verde again and setting off towards Arcadia where the ship, sailors and admirals would test themselves in the cold choppy waters and learn to deal with things like sudden storms and how the direction of a cannon ball can change thanks to the wind on the fly, after a year of training, they would head back to France where the admiralty would choose whether they would be stationed in.[11]

While things would be somewhat smooth for now, Coligny wouldn't last forever and the tensions in the colony would soon boil over one way or another….

Kept you waiting huh?

In all seriousness though, I've been very busy lately, I've gotten back to working because I need the money, I had the final of my semester to deal with so I was studying a lot as well as assignments afterwards because wasn't that a good idea? Not to mention I have to do one final exam to help me pass a subject so I'll also be studying this week too. Apologies if this chapter didn't come out too well or too short, I'll promise I'll do better next time!

Anyways let's get to notes:

[1]: These plans are based on the Dutch's actual efforts to make a "example city" when they first built Recife/Mauritsstad, even amongst the other towns built later, few could compete with Recife when it came to the way it was well organized and we'll built, something the people of Pernambuco and especially Recife feel proud of.

[2]: I know that realistically it would've been changed from Fazenda towards something like "Colonial Treasury" but I really like Fazenda so I'll decided to keep the name around.

[3]: These guys will give a lot of trouble and headaches to the French given both their radical Catholicism, their desires to expand sugar to above and beyond and the fact they're ultra pissed they no longer have sole mastery over the cities nor the government and army, but France still needs to play nice with them because they're the only ones who know how to properly grow and process sugar so for now they're tolerated.

[4]: Remember that? This is what was leading up to as the creation of a garden that one of it's main purposes is medicinal would be a great asset not only for doctors and Apothecaries but also any potential medical school. Likewise the idea of distributing and receiving seeds to those who need it, especially farmers, is an idea that is seen as novel in France and would help the distribution of New World crops and polyculture of all types of crops.

[5]: Too good of a chance to pass it up.

[6]:So far, these are the most northern posts France has in South America and one of them just so happens to be the ideal place for inland exploration following the Amazon and the other is a great natural harbor, much like OTL, their relevance will only come later on.

[7]: An actual nickname used by the Jesuits who particularly hated the Bandeirantes and more than once tried (and actually succeeded before it was retracted) to get native slavery banned. Given the fact that for a long time São Paulo's biggest export before coffee had been slaves and wheat, I don't see much reason to change it here yet given that so far the "Coffee Marquis" are focusing on OTL Rio de Janeiro/TTL Henriville, something that will be a source of friction with the Tamoios seeing their land taken over by the whites they thought they could trust and will be the focus of the next update.

[8]: Will be addressed in the next chapter that deals with the ascension and reign of Henry III in France.

[9]: Needless to say, this will help both develop French finances as well as establish a more powerful merchant class that will not only be invested in the current colonial aspect but also it's expansion, working side by side with the government and serving as richer and more reliable administrators than the nobility, which is another thing the regency under Catherine de Medici is hoping for as it's another way to depower the nobles and increase centralization.

[10]: Yes it's not exactly a trade triangle as much as military movement that also happens to increase employment and trade of the places the sailors are in(especially in Arcadia and Cape Verde which helps them get populated) but I couldn't think of anything else to call it.

[11]: Of course all this movement of troops, training of sailors in better harbors and conditions as well as improved naval doctrine post Battle of Lepanto and even better material for ships from Brazil wood and Russian Timber towards Moroccan copper for the cannons alongside the development of how the navy operates at sea (something I will touch on the next chapter) will make the French navy a powerful thing to contend with.

Last edited:
As victory was assured for the French and many Portuguese left from the defeated colony, Coligny had to put his sword down and deal with the realities of actually administering a colony, installing himself in the capital of Salvador, the admiral turned Governor General started the rebuilding as well as an series of reforms he wanted to implement.
Well, it looks like Colingy will spend the rest of his life as the governor of the colony. This gives the colony an extremely competent figure and allows Colingy to explore with things that would not be possible in the metropolis.
the grid he wanted all future cities(especially capitals)
Well while unrealistic for medium and small sized cities, state/province capitals and most important cities would benefit greatly from good organization especially with the city center being the meeting place of business government (and probably religion with a catholic church in that center being probable). At the same time, this centralization of cities has its downsides, making cities vulnerable to an attack capable of taking over the city, in addition to creating greater economic control in the cities (which again has its benefits and harms).
For coastal towns, the enlargement of the harbors for transporting of goods and troops was also seen as mandatory alongside better manning, installation of more batteries and having the fortresses with its walls further stuffed with dirt to make them better resistant towards cannon fire.
So the coastal cities (or the most important ones) will have big ports from the beginning with a lot of forts. Which makes a lot of sense considering that the governor was above all a military man (which can accidentally cause a strong martial culture in the colony). Honestly I think that in about 10 years of colony command he will want to create some kind of local navy (probably a coastal navy) to protect the colony independent of the metropolis. The biggest problem is lack of funds, but with the colony growing and plantation production increasing the governor will probably want to have a colony tax on these products used for the protection and investment in the colony's infrastructure.
Up next in his priorities was the establishment of proper land grants and how they should be classified, he delineated a guideline on how the plantations would be taxed: for example, a large sugar cane plantation with plenty of slaves and good production would significantly pay more taxes compared to a medium plot of land where 3 or 5 slaves worked on. It would also help with census gathering and better organize the tax collection and give an approximate number of how much the colony was making, the same process was applied to merchants, officials and others who had some significant wealth in order to properly catalog everything and serve as a base for future census
right he basically did a tax based on income. Which has as one of its hallmarks the number of slaves. If the number of slaves going to this region is similar (or greater) what happened in Brazil will happen in Antarctique with the entire economically active population having slaves (from restaurants and housewives to the high class) this rule will have to have a reform. Another way for the crown to make money from the colony is to sell titles of nobility to the upper class of the colony (this will probably be something for the next century).
meeting with members of the Fazenda[2] (the Portuguese name for the ministry responsible for finances which they would retain out of a simple fondness)
What can happen is the official name of the ministry of finance is "Ministère des finances" and the nickname is "Ministère de la ferme" (and when shortened being "La Ferme", The Farm) which makes sense because until the discovery of gold the economy of the colony will be about farms.
The they would be the Portuguese elite?
the Lusitanian elite wouldn't forget this slight.
in two or three generations the lusitanian elite will be gallicized (unless they isolate themselves from the rest of the elite)
Speaking of them, there was another controversy thanks to the non Catholics moving in, mainly the Calvinists that while most decided going further South was ideal, many were still attracted to the already large population centers in the northeast for economic reasons if not by anything else,
In the long run, it is likely that there will be a distinction between urban and rural Protestants (in addition to a sharp difference between Protestants who migrated to the south and those who went to the urban centers in the northeast). with probably the urban Protestants being more tolerant and economic focused and the rural ones (mainly from the south) being more orthodox and jingoistic (especially considering they will be warring with the Spaniards/Catholics over land for cattle)
meanwhile the new Jewish population was even worse in the eyes of the Luso given many remembered when the Inquisition came in to reinforce orthodoxy
The fight between the Iberians and the Jews is old, with the Jews supporting the Arabs during the invasion of Iberia, so they were not seen as trustworthy. Although some served in high positions in Christian courts in Ibeira.
The latter of which was perfect in making the population of France explode, especially in the regions that were getting depopulated as emigration towards the New World and towards the growing cities was really picking up and of course the extra population meant not only higher birth rates and bigger numbers of people around but also meant an increase in people going to Brazil (and to a lesser extent, Africa).
One of the reasons for the French revolution is that overpopulations in urban centers, which is less likely ITTL with these people leaving for the colonies. In relation to depopulation, I find it difficult for this (at least in this period, for the country to miss people as it happened to Portugal due to the lack imigration caused by gold) to occur at the moment because the immigrants will be adventurers, prisoners, "refugees" (like the Jews and mainly Protestants which are a big group at the moment, 10% of the population of france +- 2 million people) and poor people.
Coligny also oversaw the founding of two important cities:
well, france secured the mouth of the amazon basin already (that was fast)
the people of São Paulo
The city kept the Portuguese name instead of being renamed Saint Paul or something along those lines (With the population being called Paulistes, Paulistas in French).
These raids against native tribes by the Paulistas wouldn't be the first nor especially the last, soon enough, the Bandeirantes would terrorize the Sertão for decades as much as they would be essential in mapping out the interior and making a clear map of expansion.
Well the bandeirates start their raids. These groups will be made up of Metis (people who are mixtures of Indians and French), French and natives.

The term Bandeirantes was apparently preferred over a French term such as Porte-drapeaux (flag-bearer), aventureux (adventurer) or perhaps gaining the name of companies of explorers (for example, compagnie de lorio).

Well, the colony will be basically made up of metis (children of Indians and whites), Mulâtre (white with black, borrowed from the Portuguese mulatto), Noir (blacks) and Bekés (Creole whites, although Creole may be the terminology used for whites or the term will designate everyone who was born in the colony). With Noir being African blacks and Créoles noir (being blacks native to Antarctique ) and Créoles blanc (being white native to Antarctique).

In the French Antilles, Saint-Domingue (present-day Haiti), Guadeloupe and Martinique, the systematization and radicalization of the use of miscegenation nuances in parish registers occurred after the Seven Years' War (1756-1763). The term mulatto therefore designates precisely a person who has a white father and a black father.
A child of a black and white union is a mulâtre (mulâtresse). A child from a mulatto-white union is a quarteron (quarteronne). A child from a quarteron-white union is an octavon (octavonne) after that the term wasn't used which makes sense because the African characteristics kind of add up to what makes it difficult for you to distinguish these people although in English it goes up to the seventh generation or eighth the terminology. The child of a mulatto-black union is câpre (câpresse) or un griffe (griffonne).
1686858542290.png

I find it difficult for this complex division to occur in this colony due to the great missigenation that will occur, but I found it interesting to bring possible endings for the mixtures between the different groups, as happened with the Portuguese in Brazil
which increases their demands and the Paulistas are more than eager to raid deeper and deeper into the interior to meet the demands of the market, during these raids, the first maps of the interior detailing rivers, mountains and other natural landmarks start to show up, them being promptly copied and sent to the office of the General-Governor who starts giving orders for the settlement of the "empty plots of land"
Well with exploration being a central government business I think it's likely that the metis make companies focused on exploration, raids, enslavement, land acquisition etc. As it happened with companies for the production of coats in North America. With the companies having names like the compagnie du jaguar, Compagnie d'orchidées, compagnie de Saint Paul etc.
as well as giving charters towards "any willing man to take up arms and men and brave the interior in search of precious gemstones and metals or slaves" all but making the practice of it something legal and sanctioned by the government.
Perhaps in the long run the term for bandeirantes (a portuguese name) will be name Affréteurs (those who rent an charter in french, in this case a exploration charter)
The company was the first example of taking a page out of the Dutch book in the concept of "shares" with the government having 51% of the company and the rest made up of private investors, and while it would the major one, other companies[9] would soon come and start supplying the colony with more slaves.
had the Dutch already created this type of company?
France didn't have many good ports nor good wood for ships
Really, how curious
therefore the Brazil wood and harbors
this is going to be interesting because if most of the ships are made in the colony the metropolis will need to have the route well protected which demands an even bigger navy
Cape Verde and Arcadia
These two regions are going to be ridiculously fortified so not only with lots of military ships in the area but also with big forts with a good contingent of soldiers. Arcadia in particular should generate great sailors and in large numbers
Apologies if this chapter didn't come out too well or too short, I'll promise I'll do better next time!
it was a great chapter. Regarding the size, I thought it was a good size. One thing you can do is not have chapters as big as the 4th chapter (for example dividing the 4th chapter in two) generating more content and time for you to think of new ideas.
Given the fact that for a long time São Paulo's biggest export before coffee had been slaves and wheat, I don't see much reason to change it here yet given that so far the "Coffee Marquis" are focusing on OTL Rio de Janeiro/TTL Henriville, something that will be a source of friction with the Tamoios seeing their land taken over by the whites they thought they could trust and will be the focus of the next update.
long term the Coffee Marquis will probably really reach their peak of power with production taking place in Sao Paulo
[10]: Yes it's not exactly a trade triangle as much as military movement that also happens to increase employment and trade of the places the sailors are in(especially in Arcadia and Cape Verde which helps them get populated) but I couldn't think of anything else to call it.
Maybe mouvement à trois points considering that the flag of france uses the fleur de lis which has three points( or Mouvement fleur de lys something like that)?
[11]: Of course all this movement of troops, training of sailors in better harbors and conditions as well as improved naval doctrine post Battle of Lepanto and even better material for ships from Brazil wood and Russian Timber towards Moroccan copper for the cannons alongside the development of how the navy operates at sea (something I will touch on the next chapter) will make the French navy a powerful thing to contend with.
Well with all that, france will have the best navy( or at leastthe best ships), maybe smaller than spanish at the moment (because at the moment spain has literally infinite money). Although, a cold war between Spain and France in the naval field is possible. With england entering the competition for fear of france and spain. They would have the money, long term with the Caribbean colony. Even with all this the Big boy in this and the next century will be Spain but France will be a bigger opponent ITTL. (just like england which has a very rich colony now).

Last edited:
With slavery being still really important in Brazil even under French rule, would this prevent industrialization entirely or partially? Good update btw.

Well, it looks like Colingy will spend the rest of his life as the governor of the colony. This gives the colony an extremely competent figure and allows Colingy to explore with things that would not be possible in the metropolis.

Well while unrealistic for medium and small sized cities, state/province capitals and most important cities would benefit greatly from good organization especially with the city center being the meeting place of business government (and probably religion with a catholic church in that center being probable). At the same time, this centralization of cities has its downsides, making cities vulnerable to an attack capable of taking over the city, in addition to creating greater economic control in the cities (which again has its benefits and harms).

So the coastal cities (or the most important ones) will have big ports from the beginning with a lot of forts. Which makes a lot of sense considering that the governor was above all a military man (which can accidentally cause a strong martial culture in the colony). Honestly I think that in about 10 years of colony command he will want to create some kind of local navy (probably a coastal navy) to protect the colony independent of the metropolis. The biggest problem is lack of funds, but with the colony growing and plantation production increasing the governor will probably want to have a colony tax on these products used for the protection and investment in the colony's infrastructure.

right he basically did a tax based on income. Which has as one of its hallmarks the number of slaves. If the number of slaves going to this region is similar (or greater) what happened in Brazil will happen in Antarctique with the entire economically active population having slaves (from restaurants and housewives to the high class) this rule will have to have a reform. Another way for the crown to make money from the colony is to sell titles of nobility to the upper class of the colony (this will probably be something for the next century).

What can happen is the official name of the ministry of finance is "Ministère des finances" and the nickname is "Ministère de la ferme" (and when shortened being "La Ferme", The Farm) which makes sense because until the discovery of gold the economy of the colony will be about farms.
The they would be the Portuguese elite?

in two or three generations the lusitanian elite will be gallicized (unless they isolate themselves from the rest of the elite)

In the long run, it is likely that there will be a distinction between urban and rural Protestants (in addition to a sharp difference between Protestants who migrated to the south and those who went to the urban centers in the northeast). with probably the urban Protestants being more tolerant and economic focused and the rural ones (mainly from the south) being more orthodox and jingoistic (especially considering they will be warring with the Spaniards/Catholics over land for cattle)

The fight between the Iberians and the Jews is old, with the Jews supporting the Arabs during the invasion of Iberia, so they were not seen as trustworthy. Although some served in high positions in Christian courts in Ibeira.

One of the reasons for the French revolution is that overpopulations in urban centers, which is less likely ITTL with these people leaving for the colonies. In relation to depopulation, I find it difficult for this (at least in this period, for the country to miss people as it happened to Portugal due to the lack imigration caused by gold) to occur at the moment because the immigrants will be adventurers, prisoners, "refugees" (like the Jews and mainly Protestants which are a big group at the moment, 10% of the population of france +- 2 million people) and poor people.

well, france secured the mouth of the amazon basin already (that was fast)

The city kept the Portuguese name instead of being renamed Saint Paul or something along those lines (With the population being called Paulistes, Paulistas in French).

Well the bandeirates start their raids. These groups will be made up of Metis (people who are mixtures of Indians and French), French and natives.

The term Bandeirantes was apparently preferred over a French term such as Porte-drapeaux (flag-bearer), aventureux (adventurer) or perhaps gaining the name of companies of explorers (for example, compagnie de lorio).

Well, the colony will be basically made up of metis (children of Indians and whites), Mulâtre (white with black, borrowed from the Portuguese mulatto), Noir (blacks) and Bekés (Creole whites, although Creole may be the terminology used for whites or the term will designate everyone who was born in the colony). With Noir being African blacks and Créoles noir (being blacks native to Antarctique ) and Créoles blanc (being white native to Antarctique).

In the French Antilles, Saint-Domingue (present-day Haiti), Guadeloupe and Martinique, the systematization and radicalization of the use of miscegenation nuances in parish registers occurred after the Seven Years' War (1756-1763). The term mulatto therefore designates precisely a person who has a white father and a black father.
A child of a black and white union is a mulâtre (mulâtresse). A child from a mulatto-white union is a quarteron (quarteronne). A child from a quarteron-white union is an octavon (octavonne) after that the term wasn't used which makes sense because the African characteristics kind of add up to what makes it difficult for you to distinguish these people although in English it goes up to the seventh generation or eighth the terminology. The child of a mulatto-black union is câpre (câpresse) or un griffe (griffonne).
View attachment 838177
I find it difficult for this complex division to occur in this colony due to the great missigenation that will occur, but I found it interesting to bring possible endings for the mixtures between the different groups, as happened with the Portuguese in Brazil

Well with exploration being a central government business I think it's likely that the metis make companies focused on exploration, raids, enslavement, land acquisition etc. As it happened with companies for the production of coats in North America. With the companies having names like the compagnie du jaguar, Compagnie d'orchidées, compagnie de Saint Paul etc.

Perhaps in the long run the term for bandeirantes (a portuguese name) will be name Affréteurs (those who rent an charter in french, in this case a exploration charter)

had the Dutch already created this type of company?

Really, how curious

this is going to be interesting because if most of the ships are made in the colony the metropolis will need to have the route well protected which demands an even bigger navy

These two regions are going to be ridiculously fortified so not only with lots of military ships in the area but also with big forts with a good contingent of soldiers. Arcadia in particular should generate great sailors and in large numbers

it was a great chapter. Regarding the size, I thought it was a good size. One thing you can do is not have chapters as big as the 4th chapter (for example dividing the 4th chapter in two) generating more content and time for you to think of new ideas.

long term the Coffee Marquis will probably really reach their peak of power with production taking place in Sao Paulo

Maybe mouvement à trois points considering that the flag of france uses the fleur de lis which has three points( or Mouvement fleur de lys something like that)?

Well with all that, france will have the best navy( or at leastthe best ships), maybe smaller than spanish at the moment (because at the moment spain has literally infinite money). Although, a cold war between Spain and France in the naval field is possible. With england entering the competition for fear of france and spain. They would have the money, long term with the Caribbean colony. Even with all this the Big boy in this and the next century will be Spain but France will be a bigger opponent ITTL. (just like england which has a very rich colony now).
I'll try and keep the chapters at a decent length as to not exhaust anyone wanting to read them

With slavery being still really important in Brazil even under French rule
If I had to guess I would say that TTL Brasil will consume even more slaves than OTL Brasil. Due to the greater diversity of production, which at OTL was basically sugar, ITTL has tobacco and coffee in addition to sugar. Of the 12 million enslaved Africans brought to the New World, almost half (5.5 million people) would go to Brazil. I think something around 6 or 6.5 million goes to TTL Brazil (basically half)
, would this prevent industrialization entirely or partially?
Well, the country will never industrialize on the same scale as the USA because it does not have the necessary amount of coal. Coincidentally, the region that has coal does not have the climate for the production of plantations. So this will be the region that will industrialize. The rest do not have the resources for first industrialization (using coal) unless the country gets the coal somewhere else (for example madagascar or an economic agreement with south africa). Oil when it starts to be used can be imported from Venezuela (which is German ITTL). The most industrialized country in america ITTL will probably be some country in north america (it's too early to say how north america will be in territorial terms, only after that it's possible to say with certainty which will be the most industrialized country in the America). Brazil is the 15th country with the most coal in the world, more than canada and pakista but much less than the usa. The country has 0.6% of the world's coal.

Last edited: