Keynes' Cruisers Volume 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotBigBrother

Monthly Donor
On board the ship we used to refer to that kind of "requisitioning" of equipment as 'com-shawing'. If you came across a tool or something else that you knew might be useful for your worksite...and no one else was around..you would com-shaw it. You weren't stealing it exactly because if the original owner came for it you gave it back. This did not apply to personal things..that would get your face rearranged.
In Russian it is called "plokho lyezhalo". "That thing lied there poorly."

Last edited:
Reminds me of the old boys talking about the building of the Alaska Highway and the impact the war had on rationing. They said it wasn't so bad because when you needed new tires or other vehicle parts you just popped over in the middle of the night to the main supply depot at Dawson Creek (mile 0), backed up and started loading. When I asked didn't that cause some problems they acknowledge that yes...but there was a warning shot first at least. Mind you some of those warning shots were mighty close.

After the war many returned to again plunder all the abandoned equipment hidden/stashed/buried. Still old cats running around from those "donations"....
On the opposite end, if you packed things to go for shipment for your military unit in say a pallet or a conex container and something happens to that in transit, welllll sure cleans up the property books and gets new equipment.

Had an uncle who served in Canal Zone in 1920s.

A signals mule was crossing a lock and fell in. The signals unit claimed various items were in the mule.

The report of survey came back which basically said “nice try but a mule cannot carry 2 tons of batteries and radios”

I remember our supplybsergeant in LRRP telling me “if you make contact, report you lost one PRC/25 battery, two lensatic compasses, and a bayonet

Last edited:
Story 2267 A
Dubrovnik, October 11, 1943

A gun fired. And then another, and then two more. Italian gun crews from the Marche Division provided cover to infantrymen and pioneers several thousand meters away. Overhead, a squadron of Mosquitoes swooped. The twin engine bombers had come in fast and low before dropping several tons of bombs. The German mountain troops that were trying to take the Dalmatian port were stopped yet again.

In the harbor, five small merchant ships were being unloaded. Two contained shells, another carried a fresh battalion of infantry, while another had food and spare parts. The last ship carried two thousand tons of pool petrol that was higher quality than the petrol that the few operational Regia Aeronautica training squadrons had access to. And that gasoline would be burned in trucks and generators instead of aircraft engines. The luxury of supply was giving the Italian defenders enough of a chance to hold onto their entreport even as partisans were taking over the interior.

Dubrovnik, October 11, 1943

Always a good thing, May I ask if the same is happening in Trieste, Pola, Rijeka, Split, and Vlora or are they in German hands? because I would think with those 6 in Allied hands then you should be able to have the Adriatic coastline locked up and therefore prevent at least a red Yugoslavia.

Always a good thing, May I ask if the same is happening in Trieste, Pola, Rijeka, Split, and Vlora or are they in German hands? because I would think with those 6 in Allied hands then you should be able to have the Adriatic coastline locked up and therefore prevent at least a red Yugoslavia.

The Albanian nationalists supported the Germans in the OTL Italian surrender, for entirely logical reasons, only stronger TTL, that backfired on them. Still the Italians were able to evacuate several thousand men from the Albanian ports under cover of the Regia Marina (IMS as many as 40,000 but its been a few years so I could be completely off in the number)

The Albanian nationalists supported the Germans in the OTL Italian surrender, for entirely logical reasons, only stronger TTL, that backfired on them. Still the Italians were able to evacuate several thousand men from the Albanian ports under cover of the Regia Marina (IMS as many as 40,000 but its been a few years so I could be completely off in the number)

Darn, and here I was thinking that Vlore was the only real one that mattered because it allows the quickest way to secure Greece and hit the nazis in the back, forcing their supply trains into Bulgaria. Wishful thinking I suppose.

Darn, and here I was thinking that Vlore was the only real one that mattered because it allows the quickest way to secure Greece and hit the nazis in the back, forcing their supply trains into Bulgaria. Wishful thinking I suppose.

Greece west of the Pindus/ south of the Olympus is gone hell I'd question if the Olympus itself can be held, with partisans all over the mountain. From an Albanian nationalists standpoint like Balli Kombetar this means Greek partisans will be invading actual prewar Albanian territory (ie North Epirus/ south Albania) where Greek partisans are already operating, nevermind territory in Greece and Yugoslavia they claim and the Axis had given to the puppet kingdom. To make things more complicated the Greek government back in 1940 declared war on both Italy and Albania...

PERSONAL UPDATE 5/6/20
Just a quick note. This timeline is still going forward as it is a good distraction from the day to day reality of seeing my nation willingly shoot itself in the foot as we have nowhere the amount of testing-tracing-isolating capacity that we need for a safe re-opening even as the vast majority of the country is winding down social distancing efforts. We are starting to get to sufficient testing capacity but the rest of the action chain is severely bottlenecked. At the same time, working from home has killed my productivity as the entire WFH paradigm is contingent on focused attention without kids who are either at school or at some type of care center (summer camps have been cancelled). So when I can find 45 minutes to focus, words that pay the bills win more times than not.

I think the combination of the Greek and Italian campaigns are major departures that make the world of 1947 far different in this timeline than it was in OTL. I am just starting to think about that universe of outcomes.

Just a quick note. This timeline is still going forward as it is a good distraction from the day to day reality of seeing my nation willingly shoot itself in the foot as we have nowhere the amount of testing-tracing-isolating capacity that we need for a safe re-opening even as the vast majority of the country is winding down social distancing efforts. We are starting to get to sufficient testing capacity but the rest of the action chain is severely bottlenecked. At the same time, working from home has killed my productivity as the entire WFH paradigm is contingent on focused attention without kids who are either at school or at some type of care center (summer camps have been cancelled). So when I can find 45 minutes to focus, words that pay the bills win more times than not.

I think the combination of the Greek and Italian campaigns are major departures that make the world of 1947 far different in this timeline than it was in OTL. I am just starting to think about that universe of outcomes.

Fully understand :) Stay safe

Randy

Driftless

Donor
At the same time, working from home has killed my productivity as the entire WFH paradigm is contingent on focused attention without kids who are either at school or at some type of care center (summer camps have been cancelled). So when I can find 45 minutes to focus, words that pay the bills win more times than not.
I'm retired two years now, so this question is dated... I found that when others knew I often worked from home, my work hours extended from 6am to 9pm sometimes. Some folks I worked with started early, some started late, so there were no "office hours" when WFH. As many of my cohorts also worked from home, we had to establish protocols/etiquette for when you were expected to respond.

Another action a former neighbor did with her strictly work from home business, was to eat breakfast in her kitchen on the main floor, then leave the house, walk around the block, and then go directly to her office in her basement. She'd work there, then if she needed a break or was done for the day, she'd leave the house, walk around the block, and not go to her office again till the next day. That process helped her separate work from home life.

I'm retired two years now, so this question is dated... I found that when others knew I often worked from home, my work hours extended from 6am to 9pm sometimes. Some folks I worked with started early, some started late, so there were no "office hours" when WFH. As many of my cohorts also worked from home, we had to establish protocols/etiquette for when you were expected to respond.

Another action a former neighbor did with her strictly work from home business, was to eat breakfast in her kitchen on the main floor, then leave the house, walk around the block, and then go directly to her office in her basement. She'd work there, then if she needed a break or was done for the day, she'd leave the house, walk around the block, and not go to her office again till the next day. That process helped her separate work from home life.

I work from home now - this is my first time doing it. I find I am far more productive if I get up at the same time I normally do, shower, change, (not into business casual clothes, but different clothes anyway) make breakfast, then log on as opposed to stumble out of bed and walk to my computer. So I totally get where your neighbor is coming from.

Well, I think the Iron Curtain is going to be hung differently. But where exactly? Perhaps not in the Balkans at all? Mid-way through Poland? Writers' fiat. :)

Regarding the Covid-19 pandemic I suspect the government of your country is gambling that the arrival of the hot weather might reduce how contagious the Coronavirus is. I hope they're right.

Last edited:
"I think the combination of the Greek and Italian campaigns are major departures that make the world of 1947 far different in this timeline than it was in OTL. I am just starting to think about that universe of outcomes. " Quoted from @fester post #5091.

And not just in Europe either. Considering the massive changes from OTL then in the Far East the defeat of Japan is going to be a very different process. Barring any major disasters or defeats for the Allied forces I would speculate for example that the Naval blockade that the Americans imposed on OTL Japan could be in place in TTL toward the end of 1944. How will Japan maintain logistical contact with its armies in China?

What does this mean for this TLs more powerful Nationalist Chinese army? Is it still commanded by Chiang Kia-Shek? Will the Nationalist Chinese army with greater American support defeat the Japanese army? If the defeat and collapse of Japanese forces in China, possibly while the Soviet Union is still busy with finishing off the Germans prevent Stalin from invading Manchuria and Korea? What kind of agreements would we see in this TTLs' version of the Yalta Conference?

Will the Chinese communist forces be suppressed? Clearly things are going to be very different in TTL. But what specific differences?

Last edited:

SsgtC

Banned
What does this mean for this TLs more powerful Nationalist Chinese army? Is it still commanded by Chiang Kia-Shek? Will the Nationalist Chinese army with greater American support defeat the Japanese army?
You know that old line about being careful around wounded and cornered animals? Yeah, I think that applies to Japan here. The Kwangtung Army will literally fight to it's last breath against the Chinese and/or the Soviets.

You know that old line about being careful around wounded and cornered animals? Yeah, I think that applies to Japan here. The Kwangtung Army will literally fight to it's last breath against the Chinese and/or the Soviets.

That is true. The Japanese would fight as fanatically as ever. But this doesn't mean they could put up an effective defense. The OTL mechanized and armoured Red Army went through them rather quickly in 1945.

How would a very large and well equipped and supplied Chinese light infantry army heavily supported by American artillery and air force units fare? Let's assume the Japanese have endured several months of increasingly heavy U.S. air strikes and the near elimination of the L of C with the Home Islands through late 1944 into early 1945.

SsgtC

Banned
How would a very large and well equipped and supplied Chinese light infantry army
Considering that a light infantry army was exactly the type of army the Japanese trained to fight? I'm not sure. American airpower will certainly help, as will the supply crunch with American subs blockading the Home Islands. But it's still going to be a long bloody slog

Status
Not open for further replies.