"Io Mihailŭ, Împĕratul Românilor" - A Michael the Brave Romania Wank

Considering the complex situation I think you have found a good balance thus far. I have to remind myself to not go too far off on a tangent in the TL that I have in the works.

I.53. The Chaos

Zagan

Donor
Like our Cosmos was fathered by the Primeval Chaos,
so was the Century of Peace by the Second European War.

The Chaos

The 1640's were an extremely complicated decade with lots of important events taking place all over Europe and the Middle East:
- the many theatres of the Second European War;
- the revolutions / unrest in several European States during the later phases of the war and in its aftermath;
- the death of Emperor Mihai and the accession of Empress Iulia to the Romanian throne;
- the adventures of Iulia as a prisoner of war and after her release;
- profound changes in Romania;
- the Peace treaties and the post-war European landscape.

All these events could not have been presented in a single chapter or even in a clear chronological order. I had to split it into three main chunks:
1. The Second European War and the Revolutions (three chapters -- the previous two and this one).
2. Romania during these times (the next 2-3 chapters).
3. Europe (and Romania) after the war (another 2-3 chapters).
I thought that this way the material may be easier to follow. A summary will be provided anyway.

The first five theaters of the Second European War have been outlined in chapters 51 and 52.

6. The French Theatre (April 1642 - May 1644)

In January 1642, Iberia was losing the war against Italy, Romania and Germany.
The entry into the war of France on Iberia's side evened the situation in Italy but led to the opening of yet another front on the long and hard to defend Franco-German border streching from the Alps to the North Sea.

April-May 1642
Three German armies invaded France, advancing into Flanders, Lorraine and Burgundy. These Catholic lands, formerly parts of the Holy Roman Empire, had been ceded to France during the early phases of the First German War. Flanders had a German (Dutch) population, while Lorraine and Burgundy had a French majority and an important German minority.

June 1642 - November 1643
After a year and a half and tens of thousands of deaths on both sides, Flanders, Wallonia, most of Lorraine and a small part of Burgundy were under the control of the German armies.

December 1643 - May 1644
The revolt in Holland and Zealand, the difficult economic situation of Germany and the increased resolve of the French troops defending their homeland stopped the German advance and even allowed the French to recover some small territories in Wallonia and Lorraine.

7. The Sarmatian Theatre (July 1642 - the end of the war)
After several letters in which Iulia insisted, her first cousin Karol was somehow forced to honour the old Romanian-Sarmatian alliance and declared war to Iberia and France.
The mobilization was, however, slow and ineffective and, by the time the Sarmatian army was ready to begin its long march towards Italy, the Russians invaded Sarmatian Ruthenia from the East with a formidable force.

July 1642 - October 1642
Having taken the Sarmatians by surprise, the Russian armies managed to advance hundreds of miles into Sarmatian Ruthenia, taking Smolensk and Minsk and threatening Kiev.

November 1642 - April 1643
The Sarmatian army stopped the Russian thrust into Ruthenia, but lost all the territory between the Don and the Caucasus to the Russian Cossacks.

May 1643 - November 1643
A combined action of the regular Russian army and the Russian Cossacks, aided by a rebellion of the Sarmatian Cossacks, destroyed the Sarmatian armies defending the Black Sea Steppe.
All the lands up to the Dnieper were under Russian occupation. Crimea and Kiev were under siege.

December 1643 - July 1644
Sarmatia was in a very difficult situation. It had lost a third of its territory and almost half of its army while the enemy kept sending fresh armies to the long frontline.
Fearful that the Sarmatian State might collapse altogether, Romania, Germany and Scandinavia sent armies towards the Sarmatian front.

8. The Oriental Theatre (? - long after the end of the war in Europe)
The war in the Middle East will be discussed in the chapters dealing with Romania.

The Socio-Economic Situation in Europe

In order to understand the European Wars of the 17th century, we have to take a closer look at the wider socio-economic picture of those times.

The people wanted war in order to enlarge their Nation States, liberate their oppressed brethren, place the border in the right position and fulfill their Nation's destiny.
The kings wanted war in order to increase their realms, fortunes and fame as well as to appease their subjects, whose collective voice was becoming increasingly loud and therefore had to be taken into consideration.
The advent of Nationalism, the end of Feudalism and the emergence of centralized National States also meant increasing bureaucracy, better logistics, conscription and larger armies. All these cost money, more and more money.

The issue of funding those larger armies was twofold:
1. There were not enough money. The wars fought during the previous decades cost fortunes and emptied the treasuries of most countries. A 17th century mostly subsistence economy could not support the cost of modern warfare the way a later industrialized country could.
2. Even if won, the wars were usually not profitable. Many ended in stalemates or with extremely small gains. This was, of course, expected, since the political map of Europe consisted of several evenly matched Great Powers and very few easy picks, i.e. small states.

That difficult situation had three possible solutions:
1. Field a smaller army and feed your subjects, but you would probably lose the war.
2. Increase the army to match your enemy's, only to cause famine and possibly even uprisings. That was the preferred solution in the first half of the 17th century.
3. Refrain from waging war. This is, of course, the only winning strategy, the one that would be employed by all countries (after the lessons learned the hard way), leading to the Century of Peace.

The Revolutions and the End of the War

The revolutions that finally ended the Second European War had multiple causes:
- the difficult internal situation -- famine, disease, huge taxes;
- the high number of war casualties;
- secessionist tendencies in some still incompletely fused Nation States;
- anti-feudal bourgeois ideas;
- war weariness after decades of almost continous warfare, causing psychological problems as well.

Italy

The Italian National Revolution is usually included in the list of the European Revolutions of the 1640s, although it started earlier than in other countries and instead of helping to end the war, it was actually its cause.

It is usually considered that the Italian National Revolution had been successful, because its main objective, that of a united Italian Nation State, had been achieved. The price, however, was enormous: about a tenth of the pre-war Italian population perished, the country turned from one of the richest in Europe into one of the poorest, some territories were lost and real independence was achieved only a quarter of a century later.

Iberia

With the vast quantities of gold and silver extracted from the Americas, Iberia could have been the richest of all European Powers. Unfortunately for them, not even those riches were enough for their enormous military expenditures. For decades, Iberia had been continuously at war, first with the Dutch rebels, then with Germany in the First German War, then with the Ottomans and with the Berbers (war which was still ongoing after more than 20 years) and finally with half of Europe in the Second European War.

In 1644, Iberia was on the verge of collapse. With the British Navy interdicting the naval traffic from the Americas, the depleted treasury could not be replenished and the Iberian soldiers fighting in Italy had not been paid for months.

The military situation was also quite difficult:
- Greece had been lost with the exception of Crete and Cyprus which became impossible to supply.
- The Navy had been badly battered, with hundreds of ships lost.
- All of Northern Italy and Rome had fallen to the enemy.
- The Berbers were attacking anew from the desert, emboldened by the Iberian losses elsewhere.
- Many colonies had been captured by the British, as well as Gibraltar and Ceuta on Iberian soil.

The Iberian society and Nation was still deeply fractured:
- The Portuguese were mainly interested in the Colonies;
- The Castillians were mostly preocupied with the North African Reconquista;
- The Catalans / Aragonese were the only ones still interested in the Mediterranian and Italy.

April 1644
With Emperor Philip in Italy, the Portuguese and Castillian aristocracy contacted the British and asked for peace.
While the British were interested, Iberian Imperial Assent was needed. Having heard about the peace overtures, Philip flatly rejected them and accused his nobles of treason. He sailed to Barcelona and prepared to enter Castille with a loyal Aragonese army in order to restore his rule and punish the nobles.

29 April 1644
Portugal
and Castille seceded from the Iberian Empire and merged into the Kingdom of Spain with John of Braganza as the first King of Spain.
The newly formed Kingdom of Spain quit unilaterally the European War and focused on the threat posed by Philip and his mostly Aragonese armies.

May-June 1644
A large scale civil war erupted in the Iberian Empire between the supporters of Philip (Iberia) and John (Spain).
The Iberian armies in Italy and the Greek Islands disintegrated. In a matter of weeks, the Southern Italian Front collapsed. The Italian, Romanian and German armies pushed Southwards and took Naples and the rest of the Italian Peninsula by the end of June.
The Romanian Navy took Crete and Cyprus and the Italian and German Navies liberated Sicily, Sardinia and Corsica.
The allies took over 100,000 Iberian prisoners of war. Most of the Portuguese and Castillians were freed and quickly shipped to Spain to fight against Philip.
The Second European War was almost over.

July-October 1644
After the sack of Madrid, the Iberian forces lost momentum and slowly began to withdraw towards Catalonia. After evicting them from Spain (Portugal & Castille), the Spanish armies followed Philip's armies into Aragon.
With Iberian North Africa falling apart, British, Italian, Romanian and German troops landed in Tripoli, Tunis and Algiers in order to fend off the Berber attacks.

22 November 1644
Barcelona fell, Emperor Philip died in battle and Aragon capitulated.
The Spanish Civil War was over. Aragon was placed under military administration and was later annexed to Spain.
In the end, after a lost external war and a vicious civil war, the Iberian Empire had been replaced by the Spanish Empire. The only visible difference was a greater Portuguese influence due to the Portuguese Monarch.

Germany

In Germany, the upheaval started with the Dutch Insurrection.
The reality, however unpleasant for the German nationalists, was that most of the Dutch cherished their brief period of independence (and unequalled prosperity) and considered themselves a separate Nation.

January-May 1644
The reaction of the German State was swift and extremely brutal. The Dutch Insurrection was crushed, thousands were killed and the Netherlands as a German Federal State was disolved.
Over the next years, tens of thousands of Dutch people would be forcefully deported from their lands and resettled all over the German Empire.

June-October 1644
The Dutch Insurrection and the subsequent protests in several Federal States contributed to the emergence of a paranoid atmosphere in Germany.
The Radical Nationalists took power and the already ugly situation turned even uglier.

9 November 1644
The Federal States were abolished and the German Empire became a Unitary State.

1645 - 1648
The next years witnessed all sorts of abuses, arbitrary extrajudicial killings, deportations and imprisonment of those considered unreliable and full-fledged terror.

1649 - 1650
The German Emperor and the German Army intervened belatedly against the Radicals, purging them from power. After a short civil war, law and order ruled once again over Germany.

France

France witnessed little disturbances with the exception of several peasant uprisings in the countryside.
After the fall of Iberia, an armistice was concluded with Germany and the French troops retreated from Italy.

Britannia

The Irish revolted again, only to be violently crushed once more by the British Army.
A plan to deport the whole Irish Nation to British North America was devised and partially completed during the following decades.
Beatings, rapes, murders and forced convertions to Anglicanism were common place in war-ravaged Ireland.

Scandinavia, Russia, Slovakia, Georgia, Armenia

No revolution or other type of upheaval took place.

Greece, Croatia, Hungary

A low-level insurgency against the Romanian occupation lingered on until shortly after the end of the war.
The Romanian military authorities did not take any drastic measures against the insurgencies, choosing to simply let them subside into irrelevance.

Sarmatia

After the Russians and the Cossacks took over a third of the country, Sarmatia nearly collapsed into anarchy with all sorts of national rebellions and peasant uprisings breaking out all over the country.

Had the War in the Occident not ended, Sarmatia would have been in danger of falling apart.
Luckily, the exit of Iberia and France from the War coupled with the Romanian, German and Scandinavian armies marching through Sarmatia towards the front lines convinced the already overextended Russians to sue for peace. An armistice was quickly concluded.
Russia became a full member of the Great Powers Council.

By the start of 1645, the War in Europe was over, though it would continue to rage in the Middle East for another seven years.
After the retreat of the Russian armies, the Sarmatians crushed the Dnieper Cossacks' uprising and decided to deport them. Romania gladly accepted the Cossacks as fellow Orthodox brethren and began to ship them to Asia Minor and the Middle East.

Romania and the Middle East

The Romanian Revolution and the various uprisings in the Middle East will be discussed in the following chapters.

1645 - 1648, Europe

The Peace Treaties ending the Second European War were signed at the Great Power Council Headquarters in Slovakia.

As implausible as it might sound, Europe went on to enjoy more than a century of uninterrupted peace for the first and only time (so far) in its long and tumultuous history.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
Warning

Nationalism did some pretty ugly deeds in the context of the more enlightened mores of the 19th and 20th centuries.
In TTL, "modern" nationalism started earlier, during a time when human life and dignity were valued even less than in the 19th century.
We can, therefore, expect awful excesses and "human rights" abuses to be commonplace.

Unfortunately for them, those being "on the wrong side of the border" and those lacking a country of their own will have a fate significantly worse than in OTL.
Ethnic assimilation, discrimination, expulsions, population transfers, pogroms and even full-scale genocide will be logical conclusions of TTL.

Of course that I do not condone these horrors. I am just aware that the events of TTL make these unfortunate events likely and for the sake of veridicity I will not avoid them.
I am not trying to write an utopia here!

Thank you for your understanding.

Last edited:
Those "Germans" were "traitors", so...

I do not know what do you mean by "white man rule". Please elaborate.

Usually there is certain restraint when the Europeans treat fellow others that is not extended to Asians or Africans, as far as I know. The treatment of the Dutch get is just like what Stalin did to Tatars.

But probably not relevant here.

Zagan

Donor
The treatment of the Dutch get is just like what Stalin did to Tatars.

Oh... Stalin deported all the Tatars.
ITTL, the German Empire deported "tens of thousands" of Dutch, out of more than a million, so "only" a few percent of them.

Last edited:
Map #40. Europe in 1640

Zagan

Donor

Europe in 1640

(Before the start of the Second European War)

Google Europe 1640.jpg

... and without the Google Earth layer:

Google Europe 1640.png

Last edited:
Animated Map #1. The Second European War

Zagan

Donor

The Second European War

Legend:
Blue: Italy & allies
Red: Iberia, France & allies
White: Neutrals

Attachments

• Second European War.gif
    Second European War.gif
    352.5 KB · Views: 2,244
Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
Sad news

My significant other and me decided to end a 10 years long relationship.

It is a difficult time for me and I could not concentrate on writing lately.
I will try to get the next update as soon as possible.

Ryan

Donor
My significant other and me decided to end a 10 years long relationship.

It is a difficult time for me and I could not concentrate on writing lately.
I will try to get the next update as soon as possible.

sorry to hear that man :(

take as much time as you want though, after all it is a privilege, not a right, to read a great tl (which this definitely is)

Zagan

Donor
sorry to hear that man :(

take as much time as you want though, after all it is a privilege, not a right, to read a great tl (which this definitely is)

Thank you very much for your kind words.

I started writing again, because it provides a useful distraction from my problems.

Last edited:
Data #3. Wank / Screw

Zagan

Donor

Wank / Screw

Who is wanked and who is screwed in TTL (compared to OTL)?

I will use this graphic scale:
-
Arrow 1 Worst.png
(very screwed)
-
Arrow 2 Bad.png
(moderately screwed)
-
Arrow 3 Neutral.png
(similar to OTL)
-
Arrow 4 Good.png
(moderately wanked)
-
Arrow 5 Best.png
(massively wanked)

- Europe as a whole
Arrow 4 Good.png
(less wars, more stability, more population, more colonization, etc)

- The Christendom
Arrow 4 Good.png
(all of Europe under Christian rule by 165x, also North-West Africa, the Caucasus, parts of the Middle East, etc; less interconfessional hatred / wars, etc)

- East Asia / South-East Asia / South Asia
Arrow 3 Neutral.png
(not enough data yet in TL)

- The Americas / Africa / the Middle East / Australia / Oceania
Arrow 2 Bad.png
(more colonization / assimilation already or coming soon)

- The Muslim World
Arrow 1 Worst.png
(already evicted from Europe proper and some peri-European areas; bleak future)

- Microstates / Small States / City States
Arrow 1 Worst.png
(none surviving in Europe; almost no chance of ever appearing, at least in Europe)

- Republics
Arrow 1 Worst.png
(none surviving; no spoilers though)

- Portugal / Spain
Arrow 4 Good.png
(managed to create an unitary state not lead by the Castillians, already lost influence in Italy, but gained North-West Africa, which is being Christenized / Iberianized)

- France
Arrow 3 Neutral.png
(no Corsica or the Rhine border, but Wallonia, Lorraine, Burgundy and Geneva are ok)

- Germany / Austria
Arrow 5 Best.png
(unitary state since the 17th century, including the Netherlands, Flanders, Luxembourg, parts of Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Slovenia, South Tyrol, Czechia, Silesia, Pomerania, Trieste, etc; very good future prospects; Australia and much of the Southern Pacific and Indian Oceans as colonies; lacks South Schleswig, East Prussia)

- the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Slovenia, Czechia
Arrow 1 Worst.png
(no chance, sorry; getting germanized)

- Italy
Arrow 5 Best.png
(unitary state in the 17th century, includes Corsica, Nice, Malta, Ticino, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican, etc; good future prospects, lacks Trieste)

- Britain
Arrow 4 Good.png
(got the former Dutch colonies; seems to swallow Ireland more thoroughly; more naval superiority)

- Ireland
Arrow 1 Worst.png
(probably toasted, turning British)

- Denmark / Norway / Iceland / Sweden
Arrow 5 Best.png
(unitary Scandinavian state, colonies in North America, North Eurasia, etc)

- Finland
Arrow 1 Worst.png
(probably toasted, getting Scandinavianized)

- Poland / Lithuania
Arrow 4 Good.png
(doing better, include Prussia, Latvia, Estonia, Southern Ukraine, Crimea, etc; better organization; still problems with the numerous Orthodox Ruthenians and, of course, Russia)

- Latvia
Arrow 1 Worst.png
(getting Lithuanized)

- Estonia
Arrow 1 Worst.png
(low chances)

- Belarus, Ukraine
Arrow 2 Bad.png
(worse position than in OTL)

- Russia
Arrow 2 Bad.png
(almost landlocked, less territory and power)

- Romania / Moldova
Arrow 5 Best.png
(well... nothing more to add here, already feeling some shame...)

- Bulgaria, Serbia, (Kosovo), Montenegro, Albania, Macedonia, Bosnia
Arrow 1 Worst.png
(no chance whatsoever)

- Slovakia
Arrow 4 Good.png
(larger, already independent, although powerless)

- Hungary, Croatia
Arrow 2 Bad.png
(barely there)

- Greece / Cyprus
Arrow 5 Best.png
(large and growing, although under Romanian influence)

- Georgia, Armenia
Arrow 4 Good.png
(large and already independent, future a little uncertain)

- Turkey
Arrow 1 Worst.png
(still breathing, but barely)

- Morroco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Syria, Iraq, Jordan, Azerbaidjan, Kuwait, other Arab States, etc
Arrow 1 Worst.png
(poor chances)

- Egypt, Arabia, Persia
Arrow 3 Neutral.png
(doing ok thus far; probably bleak future)

- Lebanon
Arrow 3 Neutral.png
(enjoying benevolent colonialism)

- Israel
Arrow 4 Good.png
(good hopes for the future)

- Stateless peoples and ethnic minorities in Europe
Arrow 2 Bad.png
(probably going to be assimilated or worse)

Did I forget anyone?
Are my assesments ok?

Any Comments?

Last edited:
Data #4. TTL Countries over OTL Countries

Zagan

Donor

TTL Countries over OTL Countries

(will be handy if I ever do an ISOT from TTL to OTL)

1. Iberia
- Portugal;
- Spain;
- Andorra;
- Gibraltar;
- a small area of France (around Llivia);
- Cape Verde;
- parts of North-West Africa (part or all of Morroco, Algeria, Western Sahara, Mauretania), probably the littoral areas, possibly some more in the North.

2. France
- most of France, without:
--- a small area around Llivia in the Pyrenees;
--- Corsica;
--- Nice and environs;
--- some other areas at the Italian border in the Alps;
--- most of Alsace;
--- some other areas at the German and Luxembourg borders;
--- some or all overseas territories.
- parts of Western Switzerland;
- parts of Belgium (most of Wallonia).

3. Britain
- United Kingdom;
- Ireland;
- Isle of Man.

4. Germany
- most of Germany, without South Schleswig and Heligoland;
- Netherlands, without the Netherlands Antilles;
- Luxembourg;
- parts of Belgium (Flanders, parts of Wallonia, Brussels, Eupen-Malmedy);
- parts of France (most of Alsace, other areas);
- most of Switzerland;
- Liechtenstein;
- Austria;
- small parts of Italy (Trieste, Northern South Tyrol, etc);
- most of Slovenia (without the small littoral);
- small parts of Croatia;
- small parts of Hungary;
- small parts of Slovakia (including Bratislava);
- Czechia;
- parts of Poland (Silezia, Eastern Pomerania, Eastern Brandenburg, etc);

5. Sarmatia
- most of Poland (without western areas);
- small parts of Slovakia;
- most of Ukraine;
- Belarus;
- Lithuania;
- Latvia;
- Estonia;
- Crimea;
- Koenigsberg Region;
- other small parts of Russia.

6. Romania
- Romania;
- Moldova;
- Bulgaria;
- Macedonia;
- Serbia;
- Kosovo;
- Bosnia;
- Montenegro;
- Albania;
- most of Croatia;
- Western half of Hungary;
- parts of Greece (most of Epirus, parts of Macedonia, Thrace);
- parts of Ukraine (Transkarpatia, Pokuttya, Northern Bukovina, Northern Bessarabia, Southern Bessarabia, Northern Danube Delta, Snake Island, Edisan, small parts of Podolia);
- a very small part of Slovakia;
- parts of Turkey (European Turkey with Constantinople, parts of Anatolia);
- parts of the Middle East (part or all of Lebanon, Israel, Palestinian Territories, Syria, Jordan, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, etc).

7. Scandinavia
- Denmark;
- Sweden;
- Norway;
- Iceland;
- Feroe;
- Aland;
- Finland;
- a small part of Germany (Schleswig, Heligoland);
- parts of Russia (Karelia, Kola, Kanin, Kogulev, etc);
- parts of the Arctic (parts or all of Greenland, Canada, Alaska, Siberia, etc).

8. Russia
- most of European Russia;
- Easternmost part of Ukraine;
- parts of Siberia, Central Asia, etc.

9. Slovakia
- most of Slovakia (without Bratislava, etc);
- parts of North-Eastern Hungary;
- a very small part of Ukraine;

10. Croatia
- N/A.

11. Greece
- most of Greece (without some Northern areas);
- Cyprus (including Northern Cyprus, Akrotiki & Dhekelia and the DMZ);
- parts of Turkey in Asia Minor.

12. Italy
- most of Italy (without parts of South Tyrol, Trieste);
- San Marino;
- Vatican City;
- Monaco;
- Malta;
- parts of France (Corsica, Nice, etc);
- parts of Switzerland (Ticino, etc);
- a small part of Slovenia (the littoral);
- a small part of Croatia (Istria);
- parts of North Africa (part or all of Tunisia, Libya, Algeria, etc);

13. Hungary
- Eastern half of Hungary.

14. Georgia
- Georgia;
- very small parts of Russia;
- small parts of Turkey (Trebizond, etc);
- very small parts of Azerbaidjan;
- very small parts of Armenia.

15. Armenia
- almost all of Armenia;
- parts of Turkey;
- most of Azerbaidjan (Naxchevan, Karabah and more).

Notes:
- All these are valid in the middle of the 17th century.
- Most of the borders in Europe will remain unchanged for a long time.
- Some of the borders in Europe will remain unchanged up to the present.
- Some territories around Europe (and also some farther away) will become integrant parts of the former colonizing country.
- Most of the colonies will eventually became independent, mainly because of economic considerations.

Last edited:
Table #7. Summary of Europe's Countries around 1650

Zagan

Donor

Summary of Europe's Countries around 1650

(Excel table)

Countries 1650.png

Notes:
1. The colonies are not taken into consideration, neither in the population, nor in the area columns.
2. In this table, Europe represents the European continent plus the Caucasus (Georgia, Armenia), Anatolia (Georgia, Armenia, Greece, Romania) and small parts of North-West Africa directly annexed to metropolitan Spain and Italy.
3. Iberia changed its name into Spain.
4. Some countries changed their capitals: Germany (from Dresden to Prague), Romania (from Alba Iulia to Michaelia Iulia), Scandinavia (from Copenhagen to Gothenburg), Italy (from Florence to Rome). Spain had changed its capital from Madrid to Lisbon before 1625.
5. Some countries were upgraded to Empires: Sarmatia, Scandinavia, Russia (although Tsardom had always meant Empire in Russian). Germany and Romania had been Empires before 1625.
6. Some countries were upgraded to Kingdoms: Greece, Italy, Georgia, Armenia.
7. Germany made Protestantism mandatory (like Britannia and Scandinavia) during the German Revolution from the 1640's.
8. Russia has been accepted as a fellow Great Power in 1644. Italy will have to wait another two decades.
9. The population of Europe has increased by around a fifth not only by natural growth, but also by conquest of former Muslim areas, added to Romania, Greece, Georgia, Armenia, Spain, Italy, Russia.

Last edited:
Scandinavia would probably have some concerns about their small population, so they'll probably focus on heavy agricultural expansion in Denmark and all of Sweden, south of the lakes, and look into what they might be able to cultivate even further north (likely trying, probably failing at hybridization of rye making it even more cold tolerant), even if it doesn't reasult in enough for human use, it might be able to support strengthened animal husbandry, and this might well be able to run with some of the highest population percentage growths for some time.

This would also give them a LOT of lumber (from the Swedish forests) which can be used both to evolve high-class woodcut art and furniture, and perhaps more critically to build a massive navy, both for inland seas (The Baltic and the bigger fjords) and pushing across the north Atlantic, or simply selling for good prices to specially Britannia and Spain which might start having issues with lack of good homegrown lumber.

This would also give them a LOT of lumber (from the Swedish forests) which can be used both to evolve high-class woodcut art and furniture, and perhaps more critically to build a massive navy, both for inland seas (The Baltic and the bigger fjords) and pushing across the north Atlantic, or simply selling for good prices to specially Britannia and Spain which might start having issues with lack of good homegrown lumber.
If I recall correctly (I am not sure about Denmark), Dutch shipwrights were used to modernize/upgrade Sweden's navy around the time of Gustav II Adolf in OTL. It seems that the Dutch are out of the picture so who would the Scandinavians go to for shipbuilding expertise? Or ITTL do they have experience to build a navy that would be sufficient for trips across the Atlantic and trips to the Arctic regions?

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
Scandinavia would probably have some concerns about their small population, so they'll probably focus on heavy agricultural expansion in Denmark and all of Sweden, south of the lakes, and look into what they might be able to cultivate even further north (likely trying, probably failing at hybridization of rye making it even more cold tolerant), even if it doesn't reasult in enough for human use, it might be able to support strengthened animal husbandry, and this might well be able to run with some of the highest population percentage growths for some time.

I shall use these ideas almost ad literam. Thank you.
All these, plus a possible assimilation / acculturation of the locals from North America and Siberia (Inuits, Eskimos, etc).
Ex: If you are Protestant, speak some Scandinavian and are loyal to the State / Crown, you are a Scandinavian, with all / some / most of the rights and obligation thereof. I shall think about that a little more.

A navy is indeed very necessary. And you have forgotten two very important inland seas: the White Sea and the Hudson Gulf!

If I recall correctly (I am not sure about Denmark), Dutch shipwrights were used to modernize/upgrade Sweden's navy around the time of Gustav II Adolf in OTL. It seems that the Dutch are out of the picture so who would the Scandinavians go to for shipbuilding expertise? Or ITTL do they have experience to build a navy that would be sufficient for trips across the Atlantic and trips to the Arctic regions?

The Dutch, again. Although they do not have an independent state and colonial empire of their own anymore, the people, the skill, the ships, etc are still there (in Germany and in Britain).
They are eager to help almost everyone (for some cash of course), except the Germans, which they hate.
The relations between the Dutch and the (other) Germans are really extremely tensed right now (~1650). They may become better or even worse in the future and the Netherlands may or may not break from Germany (of course, I already know it, but I am not going to tell you right now).

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
Table of Contents #2

Note: Because the new board allows unlimited editing time, I have added a Table of Contents to the first post and had this one removed.

Diacritics (for personal use): Â â Ê ê Î î Ô ô Û û Ă ă Ĕ ĕ Ĭ ĭ Ŏ ŏ Ŭ ŭ Ḑ ḑ Ș ș Ț ț Ä ä Ö ö Ü ü ß

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
Județe, Please Help!

Administrative Units of the Imperium

- First-level Administrative Units: Provincii (provinces);
- Second-level Administrative Units: Județe (counties);
- Third-level Administrative Units: Municipii (cities), Orașe (towns) or Plășĭ (groups of villages).

The Provinces are already here, both in the previous maps and in several lists. They are here to stay.

Recently, I have almost finished the Județe. Their names may be changed if somehow is wrong or anachronistic. A complete list is almost ready.
A huge and very detailed map is almost ready. I have the map completely drawn by now, except some problematic names of several Județe.

If you want to help for the names to get more realistic, how do you prefer it?
1. Use the list (without a map). This way I will not have to correct the map later and repost it.
2. Wait for me to post the map first. This way it will be easier for you to locate the places.

Thank you.

Last edited: