"Io Mihailŭ, Împĕratul Românilor" - A Michael the Brave Romania Wank

Zagan

Donor
The Maps for the Peace Treaty are ready.
The Text is sadly not yet ready.

Should I post the maps now, before the actual chapter about the Peace Treaty or wait until I finish the text and post as usual?

Last edited:

Ryan

Donor
The Maps for the Peace Treaty are ready.
The Text is sadly not yet ready.

Should I post the maps now, before the actual chapter about the Peace Treaty or wait until I finish the text and post as usual?

as much as I love your maps, I think it would be best to wait for the text to be complete so the maps are fully explained.

Map #15. Administrative Map of Romania after the Anti-Ottoman Crusade

Zagan

Donor

Administrative Map of Romania after the Anti-Ottoman Crusade

(superimposed over OTL present time Google Maps)

Google Romania Original.jpg

Old Provinces:
Ardeal (Transylvania proper)
2. Temișana (Banat)
3. Crișana (Lower Partium)
4. Someșana (Upper Partium)
5. Maramureș
6. Pocuția (Pokuttya)
7. Moldova de Sus (Upper Moldavia)
8. Moldova de Jos (Lower Moldavia)
9. Basarabia (Bessarabia)
10. Edisan (Transnistria)
11. Muntenia (Greater Wallachia)
12. Oltenia (Lower Wallachia)

New Provinces:
Dobrogea (Dobrudja)
14. Bulgaria
15. Moesia
16. Tracia Orientală (Eastern Thrace)
17. Tracia Occidentală (Western Thrace)
18. Macedonia de Sus (Upper Macedonia)
19. Macedonia de Jos (Lower Macedonia)
20. Tessalia (Thessaly)
21. Epir (Epirus)
22. Albania
23. Cosovo (Kosovo)
24. Muntenegru (Montenegro)
25. Servia (Serbia)
26. Illiria (Herzegovina?)
27. Bosnia
28. Slavonia
29. Tissa
30. Pannonia (Transdanubia)

Notes:
A.
The New Provinces are not yet fully integrated into Romania.
B. Romania claims most of remaining Ottoman Europe as part of Eastern Thrace, Western Thrace and Lower Macedonia.
C. More about the new borders of Romania in the Chapter with the Peace Conference.

Groups of Five Provinces:
I.
(1-5) Transilvania (Transylvania)
II. (6-10) Moldova (Moldavia)
III. (11-15) Valahia (Wallachia)
IV. (16-20) Armânŭia (Aromanian Lands)
V. (21-25) Meridionalia (lack of a better name)
VI. (26-30) Occidentalia (once part of Western Europe / WRE / Catholic)

EDIT: That small piece of land in the Danube Delta (the Secondary Delta of the Chilia Arm of the Danube) is not Romanian because it did not exist in 1625 at all! Sediments created that land in the last four centuries!

Question: Do you like this style of map (superimposed over Google Maps)?

Last edited:
So why did they take Thessaly,Epirus and parts of Macedonia?I thought they don't want parts of Greece?

By the way,I think a new capital is needed.I recommend Belgrade.

So why did they take Thessaly,Epirus and parts of Macedonia?I thought they don't want parts of Greece?

I have to second this---not sure why those provinces made the cut.

If protecting all 'Romanians' is the case, why not just force those outside de jure Romania to migrate -to- Romania?

Zagan

Donor

(half of Thessaly only)
Well... because they were not Greek at that time.

We do not have any population statistics for the 17th century, but in the 19th and 20th century when Greece conquered those lands, Greeks were clearly a minority there, even on the Littoral.
In 1912 in Salonika for example there were about 20% Greeks.
In the interior, in the Pindus Mountains for example, there were less than 1% Greeks, the territory being almost 100% Aromanian.
Epirus was full of Albanians and Aromanians, Macedonia had Slavs and Aromanians, only Thessaly had a Greek plurality.

A new capital on the Danube may be appropriate, however:
1. Inertia makes such a change difficult and slow.
2. The New Territories are still in full process of Romanization and integration into Romania and that will take some time.
3. Transylvania, surrounded by the Carpathians is the easiest location to defend in case of an invasion.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
I have to second this---not sure why those provinces made the cut.

If protecting all 'Romanians' is the case, why not just force those outside de jure Romania to migrate -to- Romania?

We are still in 1625. Imperialism is still very strong.

The Crusaders made a gift to the Greeks - a small Greek State. Nobody wanted a powerful Greece. And Mihai most certainly wanted as much land as possible for himself and Romania, while being careful not to get way too many Greeks into it.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
wow romania more than doubled its teritory

Yes. To be more precise, its territory increased by 109%. (thanks to Google Maps)

I think this would be easier if the cultural and political center of the empire is in the middle of conquered territory.

Correct.
The Capital will be probably moved and will probably be on the Danube which flows right through the middle of the Country.
This will probably happen during the reign of Mihai's successor.

EDIT: Please suggest alternate locations on the Danube besides Singidun (Belgrade). I have to choose the best one.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
So the Romanians have designs on remaining Ottoman European territory as well?This places are clearly occupied by Greeks right?

The Chalcidic Peninsula is mainly Greek.
Ottoman Thrace has very few Greeks outside Gallipoli and Constantinople.

Romania might give the Greeks a land connection to the Chalcidic as well.
Right now that area has to be Romanian because until more Ottoman land is conquered, Romania has no other Aegean Coast. Borders may and will change.

Greece will get territory in Asia Minor - Smirna and more. Only later, significantly later. No ETA.

Last edited:
The Chalcidic Peninsula is mainly Greek.
Ottoman Thrace has very few Greeks outside Gallipoli and Constantinople.

Romania might give the Greeks a land connection to the Chalcidic as well.
Right now that area has to be Romanian because until more Ottoman land is conquered, Romania has no other Aegean Coast. Borders may and will change.

Greece will get territory in Asia Minor - Smirna and more. Only later, significantly later. No ETA.
Is the deal regarding Constantinople with Sarmatia still on in subsequent wars?

Please suggest alternate locations on the Danube besides Singidun (Belgrade). I have to choose the best one.

Even though it's not quite on the Danube, I would suggest Craiova, for the following reasons:

* the city is in a very central location and easily accessible from all parts of the empire
* it can be expanded in all directions (important in the industrial age)
* the Jiu river is a tributary of the Danube and a canal can be built if necessary

If the capital must absolutely be on the Danube then I would choose Calafat.

Zagan

Donor
Is the deal regarding Constantinople with Sarmatia still on in subsequent wars?

Yes it is. At least theoretically. At least for now.
Greece wants it very badly. Sarmatia might get Armenia and other regions instead which are contiguous with its Black Sea Empire.

Interesting: A collection of ethnographical maps of the Balkans.

EDIT: It seems that in Eastern Thrace there were Greeks in the interior as well, not only on the Littoral.
Things between the Romanians and the Greeks will get thorny.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
Even though it's not quite on the Danube, I would suggest Craiova, for the following reasons:

* the city is in a very central location and easily accessible from all parts of the empire
* it can be expanded in all directions (important in the industrial age)
* the Jiu river is a tributary of the Danube and a canal can be built if necessary

If the capital must absolutely be on the Danube then I would choose Calafat.

Craiova might be an option. You are right about a canal or at least some engineering works on the Jiu because it was not navigable for any decent ship.

Calafat is in an area which was easily and repeatedly flooded back then. Other expensive engineering works are needed.

I will keep thinking about it. Maybe even a new city, build from scratch?

Last edited: