"Io Mihailŭ, Împĕratul Românilor" - A Michael the Brave Romania Wank

Zagan

Donor
Spain is probably the one most unlikely to achieve most of their goals,closely followed by the Venetians.This is mainly because look at HOW BIG the parts of Africa they wanted.They even wanted the bloody Sahara!

By the way,Morocco isn't a part of the Ottoman Empire.

By the way,the Knights of Saint John are also probably interested in the war.

Constantinople probably wouldn't be captured.

Romania is probably going to capture at least Hungary and Serbia.

Poland is definitely going to conquer the Black Sea regions allocated to her.

1. Spain: Oh, sorry about the Sahara part... There simply is not a clear Southern border there, that's all. The idea was to conquer at least the coasts, not all the mostly empty interior!
Morroco is not Ottoman, but Spain is interested in it as well.
Of course the feasability of conquering all the Maghreb and Libya is very low.

2. Venice: Difficult, yes, especially Cyprus, Rhodes, etc.

3. I forgot about tiny Malta. They might want Rhodes back.

4. Constantinople: Probably not. The Ottomans might relinquish other lands in order to save their Capital. There will be lots of soldiers there.

5. Poland: There is a Black Sea people which OTL was very difficult to conquer: the Circassians. They created a lot of trouble for Russia IOTL and they might do the same. Actually I will have to research this: Where the Circassians as strong in the 17th century as in the 19th?

Last edited:
Is Constantinople going to be shared by sarmartia and romania, in previous updates mihal said having a si glencountry that control the straits is not conductive to their friendship.

Zagan

Donor
Is Constantinople going to be shared by sarmartia and romania, in previous updates mihal said having a si glencountry that control the straits is not conductive to their friendship.

There are actually two consecutive straits; going from the Black Sea out you must pass through both of them:
1. The Bosphorus (Constantinople) - to Sarmatia
2. The Dardanelles (Gallipoli) - to Romania

So:
1. Romania wants to get to the Mediterranian - needs a friendly Sarmatia to use the Bosphorus.
2. Sarmatia wants to get to the Mediterranian - needs a friendly Romania to use the Dardanelles.
At least in theory.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
I have some personal issues to take care of.
The following chapter will be online after 24 hours or slightly more.

The plan for the following few chapters:
- Romania on the brink of war
- Mihai's speeches: in the Senat & to the soldiers
- The Invasion of Ottoman Empire
- The German War, Part Two
- The last phase of the Anti-Ottoman War
- Peace with the Ottoman Empire
- Peace in the Occident
- The new order in Europe: the Great Powers Council
- As usual, lots of maps: war maps, peace maps, final result maps, both Romania (detail) and whole Europe

Any requests (particular aspects you would like to get covered)?
Thank you.

Last edited:
I.27. Mihai's Speeches, 1622

Zagan

Donor
In 1622, the time had arrived for Romania to finally
confront and vanquish its centuries old enemy, the Turks.

Mihai's Speeches, 1622

6 January 1622, Romanian Senate, Alba Iulia
(Translation from a contemporary Romanian newspaper)

Lord Mihailŭ's Address to the Senate

Till when will the Turks abuse our patience!
Till when shall we bear their impudence and their march through Christian Europe!
Till when shall we voice our dispair and moan when it hurts like a pregnant woman who moans when it hurts. But she gives birth to a new life, a new hope for the future.
But we only grieve and moan and do nothing.
It is time we awoke from this slumber and - like Archangel Michael who took the sword in God's name - it is time we awoke and took the sword to kill the dragon and give birth to a new Europe and make History. So help us God!
I've come here in front of you, my loyal subjects and the highest forum of the Country, to inform you that from this moment on, Romania is an Independent Country.
Your standing ovations confirm what I have always been sure of, namely that my declaration will not only meet your approval but they also show that your long time expectations have finally come true. The seed was planted and now it's time we gathered its fruit.
Equally sure I am that you, my loyal, wise and learned representatives of the Country, have already envisaged what I am about to say next.
This de jure declaration of Romania's Independence gives us the will and power to add to the Country the territories South of the Danube where Romanians live under Turkish oppression and terror, being slaughtered and deprived of fundamental rights like religion and learning. To do this we need to drive the Turks out by force of arms.
This is a Declaration of War.
For this, I am standing amidst you and in front of you to ask you and to have your approval - which I consider worth having - not only for me to rejoyce at your declaration of loyalty and faith and determination but also for my people and your people to understand and rest assured that what their Lord and their Senate hold valuable is cohesion of thought and action for the benefit of Romania and Romanians.
I am making this Declaration of War here in front of the Senate, in front of my Country and in front of all Romanians within our borders or outside them, being utterly convinced and in full knowledge of what is incumbent on it and what the consequences might be.
Senators of Romania, the Anti-Ottoman Crusade was joined by Catholic countries, like Sarmatia, Spain and Venice, whose armies are now scattered on battlefields elsewhere but not in the Balkans.
We, Romania, are the only ones to cover this area and fight for Christianity by driving the Turks out of the Balkans, thus setting the whole Europe free.
Let us now think what such a victory will bring about: an Independent Romania on its ancient Lands, enlarged and strengthened by loyal citizens in an ever larger number given by births, as it happens in times of peace and good economic conditions, and by additional population from the new Lands South of the Danube.
We should not forget about war retributions in land and money to the benefit of both the Country and our people.
Romanian Senators, celebrity is another important consequence of our victory. Our troups will return on Romanian soil under virtual Triumphant Arches met and cheered by burghers and peasants in their beautiful Sunday dresses like those they wear in Church to celebrate Christ.
They will now celebrate the heroes of Christ, the soldiers of Christ and saviours of Christianity. So help us God!

7 January 1622, Romanian Orthodox Cathedral, Alba Iulia

Lord Mihailŭ's Prayer

Oh, my Lord, I fear not my enemies and I am confident in fulfilling my dream for which I humbly thank You, oh my God. For I have been given power and determination to lead my people to victory and my Country to prosperity in peace, for You are my Shepherd and my Teacher and Keeper of my body and soul in Thy eternal Light. And I am obeying Your Command and carrying out Your Will, now and for ever. Amen.

31 January 1622, Romanian Bank of the Danube, near Călărașĭ

Lord Mihailŭ's Address to the Great Army

I salute you, soldiers of the Great Army!
I am proud to see you all here, gathered from all over the Country in answer to your Lord's summon and your Country's needs.
Both your Lord and your Country have always relied - as they will always do - on your loyalty and your force and determination given by your unflinching faith that Romania is yours and of the generations to come.
I can see here Toma who rode right behind me with his group of Oltenians at Călugĕrenĭ in 1595 when shame covered the former glory of the Ottoman Janissaries. I can also see Mihu with his two brothers whom, as I recall, he carried to the shelter of the woods when they were wounded in battle. And there stands Gŭeorgŭe with three lads, fine and proud, whom he brought with him for the Country needs his sons as well.
I am looking at you all and my eyes rejoyce and my soul fills with pride and confidence that the Turks no matter how many - and many they are as they have always been - will run away in terror with their turbans zig-zagging among the yatagans discarded on the ground, awe-stricken to save their miserable lives from your tumultuous victorious charge.
The time is ripe, my brave soldiers, to march against the Turks who ruthlessly shed the blood of your brothers on the other bank of the Danube who cry from their graves for you to revenge them and to free their families and their lands and drive the Turks out of Europe. These Lands you are going to free in battle will become part of Romania and the greater the Country, the more powerful and the stronger its position among allies and enemies.
Give your Country what she expects from you, for you are one Nation united by the same language, the same Church, the same songs and dances and the same food you grow with the same ploughs. Include amidst you your brothers from the South of the Danube where my own mother comes from and she, like them all, is devoted to this Country and its people.
Your victory will bring you, by my decree, larger pieces of land in the new territories for you to work and gather the fruit for a better life in a better future revealed to me by God.
Your bravery in battle will be written down in history books to be remembered and to inspire the future generations.
And now, let us pray:
[The Lord's Prayer]
Soldiers, now cross the Danube and God bless us all.

Last edited:
Graphic #1. Romanian Semaphore Chart

Zagan

Donor

Semaphores Chart

Semaphores.png

Romanian Semaphore System

A system of semaphores was developed in Romania during the 1610's.
It was used to quickly send information during the night using a system of relay stations placed along the roads.
Each semaphore consisted of four lights arranged in a square. Each individual light could be left white or covered with a red or green glass. 81 different combination were possible, corresponding to letters, digits, punctuation and various commands.

The Semaphore System would prove extremely valuable both in peace time and during wars.
Information could thus travel at a average speed of 300 km/h, which was an extraordinary speed for that time compared to the fastest postal networks which could not manage more then 50 km/h even if changing horses.

Last edited:
I.28. The Anti-Ottoman Crusade

Zagan

Donor
Was it [the First Romanian-Ottoman War] a struggle for National Liberation and Unity
or a classic war of conquest directed against a weakened neighbour?
The answer depends on whom you ask the question to.

The Anti-Ottoman Crusade

Called the Anti-Ottoman Crusade in the Occident, the First Romanian-Ottoman War in Romanian historiography, the Great Catastrophe by the Turks and recently the First European War by those historians who conflate it with the simultaneous but separate continuation of the German War, this war was certainly a seminal event in European history, marking a clear turning point in the long period of conflict between Christianity and Islam and arguably the start of European domination of the entire World in the centuries to come.

It was an Anti-Ottoman Crusade, because it involved a large and growing coalition of Christian States coordinated against the last Muslim State still holding European Lands. This unexpected solidarity of Christian Europe will be further channeled by the future Great Powers Council to strengthen common European interests on the World Stage.
It was the First of a long series of Romanian-Ottoman Wars, marking the accession of Romania to Great Power Status and allowing for its subsequent Imperial Greatness.
For the Turks, it was certainly their Greatest Catastrophe, representing the beginning of the destruction of their State and setting the stage for the ethnocide of the Turkish People.
And, even if mostly uncoordinated with the second part of the German War, these conflicts could together be rightfully named an European War, if only for the extremely unusual fact that all the European States got involved in a way or another in at least one of the two parallel wars.

The Anti-Ottoman Crusade was actually a chaotic frontal assault on the Ottoman Empire resulting in several uncoordinated war theatres:
1. The Mediterranian Theatre (Spain, Venice, Malta, Sweden)
2. The Black Sea Theatre (Sarmatia & Romania)
3. The Crimean Theatre (Sarmatia)
4. The Caucasus Theatre (Sarmatia & Cossacks)
5. The African Theatre (Spain)
6. The Balkan Theatre (mostly Romania but also Venice, Sweden, Slovakia & Romanian, Bulgarian, Serb, Albanian and Greek Insurgents)
7. Another front would open during the later stages of the war, hastening its end.

The later additions to the Christian Alliance were:
- Malta (The Knights of Saint John) which hoped to conquer some Eagean Islands, maybe Rhodes.
- The Russian Cossacks who, despite the still raging Russian Civil War and the lack of a powerful central government in Moscow, took the opportunity to push their Muslim foes over the Caucasus Mountains.
- Sweden which provided mercenaries lured by the large amounts of money offered by the Pope.
- Christian subjects of the Ottoman Empire which fought for their own freedom: Romanians, Bulgarians, Serbs, Croats, Hungarians, Albanians, Greeks, Georgians, Armenians. The fate of those who failed to liberate their lands would be quite disturbing.

1. The Mediterranian Theatre (31 December 1621 - 7 August 1622)

Because of its unusual ferocity and the slow pace of additional ship building, the naval part of the War ended long before its terrestrial counterpart.

The War started on the last day of 1621 when the Venetian Fleet attacked and sunk two Ottoman ships in the Adriatic.
The Venetian and Ottoman Fleets continued to furiously engage each other in the Ionian, Cretan and Aegean Seas during the following weeks. By the start of February, a great number of ships had been lost by both sides which meant that a continuation of sea warfare was in doubt.
The Venetians had managed to conquer all the Adriatic and Ionian Islands but could neither capture any cities on the mainland nor advance into the Aegean Sea.

The entry into the War of the Malta based Knights of Saint John helped tip the balance in favour of the Crusaders which controlled the Adriatic, Ionian and Cretan Seas but still failed to make any significant inroads into the Aegean.

The great Spanish Fleet was badly needed in the Eastern Mediterranian.
The problem was that Spain had other more important tasks for its fleet to fulfill. The first was to thoroughly defeat the Ottoman and Barbary Fleets in the Western Mediterranean and provide a means to get Spanish soldiers on the African shore in order to start the conquest of Muslim Africa. The second was to defend its Worldwide Colonial Empire against French, English and Dutch inroads and predation.

The French invasion of the Netherlands coupled with the restart of the German War and the English intervention on the Continent meant that the Spanish Colonies were at least for the moment a little more secure so a few more precious war ships could be moved into the Mediterranian Sea.

The Franco-Spanish Treaty further allieviated Spanish fears regarding its Colonies and allowed more ships to be rerouted to fight the Ottomans.
The Treaty defined zones of interest or influence for Spain and France which did not conflict with each other. Basicly, France got a free hand in Italy and Germany while Spain was meant to rule the Mediterranian and North Africa. The Colonies would, of course, be left unmolested.

The by now almost depleted Ottoman Fleet was no match for the fresh Spanish Colonial Fleet.
The addition of the whole Austrian Fleet, sold by Austria to Spain en masse was also extremely welcome. In fact, Austria was selling everything in order to hire more mercenaries in a desperate bid to halt the German invasion.
At about the same time, the mighty Swedish Fleet led by Gustavus Adolphus arrived at the scene, making the position of the already battered Ottoman Fleet completely untenable.

After a couple of disastrous naval battles, the few Ottoman ships still afloat sailed into the Black Sea never to pass through the Straits again.

Being in complete control of the Seas, the Crusaders proceeded to conquer the remaining Ottoman Islands almost unopposed. By the end of the campaign only Cyprus, Rhodes and Lesbos were still in Ottoman hands.

The Mediterranian campaign could be considered finished with the Swedish-Venetian-Maltese conquest of Moreea.
No serious attempt was made to land in continental Greece, but some obsolete caches of weapons were smuggled to the Greek Revolutionaries.

2. The Black Sea Theatre (9 January 1622 - 21 November 1622)

At first, the Ottoman Fleet had the upper hand and repeatedly defeated the combined Sarmatian and Romanian Fleets.
In a matter of months, the Sarmatians lost more than three quarters of their Black Sea Fleet while the Romanians lost almost half of theirs.
Still worse was that the victorious Ottoman Fleet bombed the Romanian and Sarmatian Black Sea harbours with virtual impunity, destroying the portuar facilities and some partially finished ships right in their shipyards.

Luckily, their losses in the Mediterranian Theatre forced the Ottomans to withdraw more and more ships through the Straits, thus severely weakening their Black Sea Fleet.
By the time the Mediterranian campaign ended in total Crusader victory, the Ottomans had fewer ships in the Black Sea than the Allies.

Having thus obtained naval superiority and with the morale of the Ottoman sailors at an all time low, the Allies managed to inflict further losses to the already reduced Ottoman Fleet.
After winning several more naval battles, the Crusaders enjoyed total control over the Black and Azov Seas and forced the last three Ottoman warships into the Marmara Sea. There, they were finally safe but unable to have any significant influence with regard to the outcome of the war.

The Crusader victory in the Black Sea greatly helped the Sarmatians to achieve their war aims.

3. The Crimean Theatre (19 January 1622 - 3 February 1623)

Sarmatia bought the small Perekop Territory from Slovakia and immediately invaded the Crimean Peninsula for a second time in less than 20 years.
Unfortunately for the Sarmatians, without proper naval support, the conquest of the mainly Tatar inhabited Peninsula proved to be much more difficult than previously considered. After several months of really atrocious battles, only the northern half of Crimea was firmly in Sarmatian hands.
The mountainous terrain in the centre of the Peninsula was a formidable natural obstacle put to good use by the Tatar and Ottoman defenders; any seaborne invasion on the Southern shores of Crimea was out of the question after the calamitous loss of most of the Sarmatian Fleet.

The Crimean invasion bogged down to a virtual stalemate, the final Sarmatian breakthrough having to wait for the victorious conclusion of the naval campaign.

After the Black Sea was finally free of enemy ships, the remaining Sarmatian and Romanian ships landed Sarmatian soldiers on the Southern shores of the Crimean Peninsula, quicky turning the gloomy position of the already exhausted Muslim defenders into a totally untenable one.
After the capitulation of the Tatar forces, the remaining Ottoman soldiers barricaded into their stonghold of Caffa which finally fell in the first days of February.

As the Fortress of Azov had already been conquered, no Ottoman soldier fought North of the Black Sea any longer. The Southern borders of Sarmatia had been pushed all the way to the Black Sea and the River Don.
More than 40,000 prisoners had been taken and at least as many Muslim soldiers lay dead throughout Crimea. In the mean time, Sarmatia lost less than 20,000 men. Sigismund enjoyed his greatest victory of his long military career.

4. The Caucasus Theatre (11 April 1622 - The End of the War)

After the fall of Azov, the Sarmatians found it extremely difficult to advance into foreign and virtually unknown territory defended not by the regular Ottoman army but by fiersome warriors like the Nogay and the Circassians.

Realizing that the conquest of the Eastern Black Sea Coast would cost the lives of an unreasonably high number of soldiers for a land of questionable quality, Sarmatia entered negotiations with the Cossacks which were virtually independent from the quagmire which was the Russian State.

A theoretically independent State named Cossackia was proclaimed and offered all the Muslim Lands North of the Caucasus they could conquer with the exception of the Azov and Black Sea Littorals.

The campaign proceeded with the Sarmatian Army advancing South on the Littoral, periodically reinforced by new soldiers, weapons, ammunition and supplies provided by the Sarmatian Fleet and the Cossacks relentlessly attacking from the East, thus catching the Muslims into a deadly pinch.
Nevertheless, the campaign was from the start very savage and protracted with extremely high casualties on all sides.

After the Georgian uprising managed to free Georgia from the Ottoman yoke, in a matter of months the Cossacks and the Sarmatians linked with the Georgians on the Caucasus Mountains and by the end of 1622, the Northern Caucasus had been completely severed from the rest of the Ottoman Lands.
The conquest of the Circassian Lands would not proceed smoothly however. Even after the official end of the War, large pockets of Circassian resistence would continue to pose great problems to the Cossacks and Sarmatians for decades to come.

5. The African Theatre (22 April 1622 - The End of the War)

After the Spanish Fleet completely destroyed the Ottoman and Barbary Fleets in the Western Mediterranian, the North African Coast was finally ripe for invasion.

Even if no Ottoman Army was present West of Tripolitania, the conquest of North Africa would prove to be impossible.
The Berbers fought remarcably well and Spain lost an inordinate number of soldiers, at least three times more than the Barbary States did.
By the end of the war, Spain had managed to conquer Tunis, Bizerte, Oran, Constantine and Algiers but was able to hold very little of the countryside.
These two facts made the Spanish victory almost a phyrric one. Spain would need a little more than a century to finally pacify all of North Africa and push its Southern border over the Saharan Desert.

6. The Balkan Theatre (1 February 1622 - The End of the War)

The Balkan campaign was, as expected, the bloodiest, the most complex and the most important of all the theatres of the Anti-Ottoman War and thus it deserves its own chapter.

7. The Other Theatre (Just Before the End of the War)

No more spoilers here.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
And now comes... the Wank! :p

Imperial Romania, bigger than France or Spain-Portugal-TwoSicilies, almost as large as Germany! ;)

Probably in the next chapter, hopefully in less than 24 hours! :cool:
The maps are already done, the text needs a little more tweaking.

But I am also a little worried that I got no comments lately... :(
Is everything ok with all of you?

Thank you anyway for reading this. :)

Last edited:

GdwnsnHo

Banned
I'm really enjoying it - but sadly can't comment often as I usually sneak this as a read whilst at work - leaving comments might lead to the boss getting grumpy. (probably worth the risk though!)

I am enjoying this, just because you are unfolding the story in different chapters so its easier to comment after reading the whole thing.

I am wondering whats changing the fate of the turks from otl to ttl. Just because the Romanians get united? In otl the turks are so massive that they can take on Europe almost single handedly, of coz not whole but still a big part..but now they are getting smashed..seems.

Zagan

Donor
I am enjoying this, just because you are unfolding the story in different chapters so its easier to comment after reading the whole thing.

I am wondering whats changing the fate of the turks from otl to ttl. Just because the Romanians get united? In otl the turks are so massive that they can take on Europe almost single handedly, of coz not whole but still a big part..but now they are getting smashed..seems.

The Ottomans are getting beaten because:

1. Romania is United, Centralized, Modernized, Strong(K), etc.

2. There is no Crimean Khanate anymore, so the Poles (Sarmatia) and Cossacks have no other trouble to think about.

3. All the Allies do not have other wars / worries elsewhere.

4. (Subtle) advances in military art (slightly) ahaed of their time: conscription, military exercises, comunication using semaphores, bigger and better cannons, support and supplies, coordination with the navy, some (minor) "wonderweapons" (not really effective but scary at the first use, more about this in the next chapter), etc.

5. Advances in the functioning of the States (again ahaed of their time with about a century): (more or less) National State, enhanced State bureaucracy, enhanced taxation, State centralization, (National) propaganda, (slightly) increased literacy, etc (and not only in Romania, but more or less mimicked everywhere).

6. The presence of Christian fleets in the Black Sea (TTL the Black Sea is not an Ottoman Lake).

7. Christian uprisings (with a clearly National flavour in some cases) in the Ottoman Empire.

8. A functioning grand coalition against them.

9. The decline of the Ottoman Empire just started a little earlier than OTL.

10. Unlike OTL, the French and British do not help the Ottomans because they are busy with the German War.

11. It is necessary to get rid of the Ottomans in order to make Romania a Great Power.

12. I simply dislike (for obvious historical reasons) some States like the Ottoman Empire, the Austrian-Hungarian Empire, the Russian Empire, etc. I take advantage of being an almost omnipotent being in my own TL and destroy them (not out of the blue though, I use some common sense).

NOTE: This answer to Gianni Rivera contains important general issues and shall be read by everyone. Please.

EDIT:
I overlooked this bit: "after reading the whole thing".

Well... The POD was in 1601 and now we are in about 1623, so "the whole thing" (up to the present day) will be ready in the far future!
I have only written less than one tenth of it till now!
It will be probably ready sometime in 2016! You should really offer some help (by commenting) until then.

After it will be "ready", I will surely publish it in Romanian translation (I have already talked about publishing it) and possibly in English as well and it will be more difficult to change anything.
So, I would really like your support prior to publication, please.
You, my readers, are more likely to find poorly thought or outright impossible stuff in my TL and thus help me better it.

Thank you all.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
I'm really enjoying it - but sadly can't comment often as I usually sneak this as a read whilst at work - leaving comments might lead to the boss getting grumpy. (probably worth the risk though!)

Oh... Take care. The boss might have installed a keylogger or something on your work computer!

:eek::D Keep writing, doing a great job on this TL!

I will.

@both: Thank you.

Last edited:
I.29. First Romanian-Ottoman War

Zagan

Donor
Of all the Crusaders, Romania had the most reasons to fight for -
Independence and lots of valuable European Lands inhabited by

hundreds of thousands of Romanians resenting the Ottoman yoke.

First Romanian-Ottoman War

9 January 1622, Alba Iulia

Mihai: "Stanca dear, are you feeling better today?"
Stanca: "Yes, Mihai, I am. God gave me the strength to fight this awful disease. Do not worry, I shall still be here, waiting for you to come back from battle, victorious as always."
M: (hugging his wife) "Oh, my dear, I love you so much. We shall see each other again and that's a promise too."
S: (growns)
M: "Have I hurt you?"
S: (trying to smile) "No... Only a little."
M: "I am so sorry, dear. I keep forgetting how fragile you are..."
S: "I am fine, really. Please, do not worry about me, you have a whole country to worry about."
M: (gently kisses her) "I think that Florica's visit has really helped you."
S: "Oh, yes. It has been wonderful to have her home again, even if only for a week. And Carol, Maria and Cazimir as well. I am a happy grandmother, am I not? Florica is a mother and a queen. I am so happy for her. And proud too..."
M: "And, after the war, we shall go and visit them in Varșovia (Warsaw). And we shall dance at our grandson's wedding!"
S (weeping): "May God hear you."
M (kissing her again): "Good bye, Stanca, see you later."
S: "Take care, Mihai. I will pray for you every day. God be with you!"
Mihai exits and Stanca lays on her bed, exhausted[1].

Minutes later, Mihai huggs his seven year old granddaughter Iulia.
Mihai: "I will be back soon. Till then, listen to your parents and let your grandmother have some rest. And be good with your teachers and do not skip your classes, will you do that for me?"
Iulia (jumping in his arms): "Sure, granddaddy. I love you very much and I will miss you!"

Hours later, on the Field of the Army near Alba Iulia, Mihai is ready to leave his Capital City for the first war in almost two decades.
And what a war! If a quarter of a century ago, during his last war against the Turks, he led a 20,000 strong Wallachian army all the way to Adrianople, now he is backed by the whole Romanian People and an army of more than 300,000 men! Yes, victory is now certain. The Turks will be utterly defeated and thrown over the Bosphorus!
The premises to start the war and win it are now ripe, so he can no longer wait. At the age of 65, he is already an old man. It is questionable if five years later he could still be able to ride for hours and lead his soldiers in battle. Win it or not, this may be his last war. At least, the last lead by him personally.

Mihai: "Nicule, we are leaving now. And no, we have already talked about this! You may not come with me. Your place is here to take care of the Country while I am away. And to take care of your mother and your wife and your daughter who is the future ruler of this country! And while you do that, do not forget to take care of yourself. It seems that since you returned from our forest mansion you have been coughing again[2]. Go there to rest at least every other week. It will improve your health. Eat well and do not work too hard. Remember that your lungs will never be like those of a healthy man ever again and learn to live the life God gave you."
Nicolae: "Yes, father, you know me. I will do everything you told me."
M: (hugging him) "Very good then. Good bye, my son."
N: "Good bye, father. Bring back home a victorious army and may God be with you and protect you in battle!"

10-31 January 1622, Romanian banks of the Tissa and of the Danube

With the Anti-Ottoman War already raging on the Sea, the land invasion could not be delayed any further. 336,000 Romanian soldiers were preparing to cross the frozen Danube and Tissa and finally engage the Ottomans in battle.
On 30 January, the Slovaks crossed their border into Ottoman Hungary, encountering a strong resistance.
The Romanian uprisings in the Balkan Peninsula, helped by the Bulgarians, Serbs and Albanians, were still strong and would prove extremely useful, greatly helping the advance of the Romanian armies.
In the mean time, other Christian peoples have revolted as well: the Croats, the Greeks and the Georgians. The Armenian and Hungarian uprisings have already been crushed by the Ottoman armies in a short span of time.

Mihai had split his army in six Groups:
- Army Group 1 will cross the Tissa near Segŭedin (Szeged) and advance towards Buda, trying to link with the Slovaks (as far to the North as possible).
- Army Group 2 will cross the Danube near Belgrade and advance westwards through Slavonia, trying to link with the Croats (as far to the West as possible).
- Army Group 3 will cross the Danube at the Iron Gates and advance through Bosnia, aiming for the Adriatic Littoral south of Cattaro, possibly linking with the Venetians.
- Army Group 4 will cross the Danube near Vidin and advance towards Macedonia, trying to link with the Greeks, preferably South of Thessaly.
- Army Group 5 will cross the Danube near Rusciuc (Russe), press for Salonika and support the Army Group 6 if necessary.
- Army Group 6, headed by Mihai himself, will cross the Danube near Silistra and advance straight towards Adrianople, the conquest of which would open the way to Constantinople.
- The Romanian Navy had the task to debark troops in Dobrogea and try to conquer Constanța, Mangalia, Balcic and possibly Varna.

The Romanian armies had several advantages:
- They were properly trained, with state of the art modern military exercises.
- They benefited from an extremely fast system of conveying orders and information over great distances, using luminous semaphores at night.
- They used reasonably good cryptography which, although decyphred by some of Romania's allies, still completely eluded the Ottomans.
- They did not depend on foraging with its undesirable consequences: waste of time and loss of momentum, dispersed and unruly soldiers, angry locals etc. Instead, like in the Tatar War 18 years before, the Romanians employed a sound system of supplies carried by lots of auxiliars.
- They prepared a few surprises for the Ottomans, which would scare and confuse the enemy.
- They would be helped tremendously by their conationals already risen in battle against their oppressors.
- They made use of effective intelligence which allowed them to obtain reliable data on the number of enemy soldiers, their locations and movements.
- They had larger and more powerful cannons meaning that sieges were mostly unnecessary because the walls of the fortresses could be easily broken. This would have a tremendous impact also because a lesser number of soldiers had to be left behind to guard the army's rear.

At the same time, the massive Ottoman armies were greatly disadvantaged because:
- They had to fight too many opponents simultaneously.
- Their logistics were very poor.
- Their armies were spread on a large and difficult terrain.
- The movement of their troops was severely hampered on land by the revolutionaries and on sea by the Allied Fleets.
- The State had very little money and the soldiers were dissatisfied.
- The Sultan was clearly mentally deranged and would continuously hamper the War effort until finally assassinated in 1624. The ensuing power struggle in Constantinople would not help the Ottomans either.

Some historians have even concluded that it was a miracle that the Ottoman Empire did not collapse altogether!

February - November 1622, Romanian Invasion of Ottoman Europe

In 10 months, the Romanians managed to achieve most of their objectives but with a loss of more than 90,000 men; about half of them were killed in battle and the rest fell pray to diseases.

Army Group 1, in coordination with the tiny Slovak Army, conquered the whole territory between the Tissa and the middle Danube including the fortress of Buda. Unfortunately, they were not able to establish a foothold in Pannonia, leaving thousands of prisoners during their two failed attempts to cross the Danube. By May, they were on the defensive and if not for the spectacular victories of Army Group 2, they could have been pushed back into Romania.

Army Group 2 took Belgrade after a three day battle and proceeded to overrun all the lands between the Drava and the Sava until late June when they arrived at the borders claimed by the Croatian Revolutionaries. Unable to cross into Pannonia, they entered Bosnia, helping Army Group 3 in their struggle.

Army Group 3 had probably the easiest task, at first advancing almost unhindered through a territory already liberated by the dense Romanian population from the Timoc Region. The liberation of Bosnia proceeded smoothly as well and by early June they had arrived in Montenegro. There they clashed with the local Serbs which had attempted to create an independent Montenegrin State in an area vital for Romania, being its only access to the Adriatic Sea. Contact with the Venetians from Dalmatia was also established.

Army Group 4 captured Vidin and began to march South, taking Sofia and entering Macedonia in July. Poor leadership resulted in several lost battles and slow advance through mostly friendly Macedonia. With significant losses, the beleaguered army arrived in Thessaly in November, finding the Greek Revolutionaries already in control of Larissa.

Army Group 5 captured Rusciuc and began their march towards Salonica, their great prize. Their advance was slowed by a very large number of low intensity battles with an Ottoman Army fortunate to have an extremely skilled commander. The Battle of the Chalcidic Peninsula in late August witnessed the almost complete obliteration of Army Group 5. Considerable effectives from Army Group 4 were sent to fill the gap, but no further attempts were made to invade the Ottoman held Peninsula. Since the Ottomans did not try to leave the Chalcidic Peninsula either, the Chalcidic Front entered a rather long lull.

The Romanian Navy managed to land several thousand soldiers on the Dobrudjan Coast, which helped by the local Romanians, managed to free most of Dobrogea by September, with the exception of its extreme North fortified by the remnants of the Dobrudjan Ottoman Army.

Army Group 6, almost 100,000 men under the leadership of Mihai himself, crossed the Danube near Silistra and took the city by force on the same day. Not wasting any time for Turtucaia or other small towns, they headed straight South in order to get to Adrianople as fast as possible.
Unfortunately, the Turks realized that Adrianople and Constantinople were the main targets of Mihai's army and put up a fiersome resistance. During a battle, Mihai's horse was hit by a shell which killed it instantly throwing Mihai on the ground and injuring his back. Unable to ride anymore, Mihai would spend the remaining part of the campaign in a carriage, fact which had a considerable impact on the performance of his army.
Continuously harrassed by the Ottomans, the Romanians advanced slowly, reaching Adrianople only in August.

The Battle of Adrianople was a resounding Romanian victory but was mostly remembered because of an ingenious feat which disrupted and panicked the already losing Ottomans.
A contemporary description made by a terrified Ottoman captain is quite suggestive:

We were losing the battle anyway. The Pasha had realized that very well and had ordered us to start retreating in good order towards Edirne first thing in the morning. Sadly, Allah was not with us that night and the ungodly Vlachs unleashed the full horror of Șeitan on us. Imagine being woken up in the middle of the night by a terrific buzz coming from above, like a horrible swarm of locusts from Hell. And suddenly all skies broke aflame with hundreds of flying monsters buzzing and hissing over our heads, flames errupting from their hungry mouths and having the sign of their cross painted on their chests. While we hurried to take our bows or muskets to shoot them down, the beasts now already engulfed in the flames they breathed began to attack us, diving from the skies and eating several of our soldiers alive. Panick and terror ensued and we all ran for our lives praying to Allah to save us from the wrath of Șeitan. The damn Vlachs, those Christian dogs, then attacked us from the ground and killed or captured most of us. It was a disaster. We could not fight the dark forces of supernatural origin. We were doomed. Please, believe us, for it's only the truth I am telling you.

The use of petroleum soaked kites, like other Romanian inventions, would not be even nearly as useful in subsequent battles, after the enemy got accustomed to the strange phenomena employed by the ingenious Romanians.

After yet another battle, the Romanians took Adrianople and sacked it, killing most of the Turkish population found in the city. Sufferring from intense back pain, Mihai was unable to stop the vengeful soldiers from looting and destroying the city.
The road to the Ottoman Capital was now opened, only guarded by the might of the remaining Ottoman armies, reinforced with fresh troops brought from the Asian part of their Empire.

The Romanian Army advanced farther and farther into Eastern Thrace, winning battle after battle, despite heavy losses and an increasingly stronger Ottoman resolve.
Constantinople seemed for the first time within reach. By the end of November, the Romanian relentless advance was finally stopped a mere hundred miles from Constantinople.
After marching for more than 300 miles through Ottoman territory, fighting more than 20 battles and losing half of their effectives, the Romanians were completely exhausted, unable to dislodge the heavily fortified and numeric superior Ottomans.

December 1622 - March 1623, Ottoman Counteroffensive

The Ottoman Empire was severely hit but not yet vanquished. The once mighty Empire gathered its last forces and mounted a brutal attack against the Romanian Army in Thrace.
It worked and three weeks later the Romanians lost Adrianople and began to retreat towards the Balkan Mountains.
By February, the Ottomans and the Romanians faced each other on the opposite slopes of the Balkans. The war degenerated into a stalemate, no army having the momentum necessary to cross the mountains.

April 1623 - June 1624, The Theatres of the War

The Crusaders finally realized that it was impossible to completely destroy the Ottoman Empire and started to probe for a negotiated peace.
However, the Ottomans still thought they could win and refused to cede any territory in the Balkans. What was badly needed was a great Christian victory in order to finally bring the Ottomans to the negotiating table.

Sadly, no such victory ever came. The Sarmatians, Cossacks and Slovaks had no means to attack the core Ottoman territories, the Venetian and Maltese Fleets were almost completely destroyed and the Spanish were busy fighting in North Africa.
Only the Swedes kept vigurously attacking in the Aegean Sea and even attempted to land in Asia Minor. All this would come to an end with the tragic death of their warrior King, Gustavus Adolphus, killed by a stray bullet on a beach near the city of Smirna.

It was another unforeseen event that finally convinced the Ottomans to sue for peace.

July - August 1624, Ottoman Armenia and Mesopotamia

Realizing that the Ottomans left almost no armies in their Eastern Provinces, the Persians invaded their long lost lands of Armenia and Mesopotamia, advancing quickly against feeble and thinly spread Ottoman forces.
By the end of August, the Ottoman Empire, being invaded in Europe, Asia and Africa, and with its Navy destroyed, accepted that defeat was inevitable and sued for peace.

15 September 1624, Salonika, Ottoman Empire

A three months Armistice was signed between the Ottoman Empire on one side and the Crusaders and Persia on the other side.
A Peace Conference was called for November to be held in Alba Iulia.
The Anti-Ottoman War was over.

Notes:
1. Lady Stanca had terminal phase cancer.
2. Prince Nicolae had a lung disease, possibly tuberculosis. It was more or less under control.

Last edited:
Map #14. The Anti-Ottoman Crusade

Zagan

Donor

The Anti-Ottoman Crusade

Balkans 1622 War.png

Note: The thin lines are not borders, but military demarcation lines at the moment of maximum advance into Ottoman territory. The Peace Settlement will be different.

Legend:
Nogay and Circassian territory conquered by the Cossacks
2. Rump Circassia (unconquered)
3. Nogay and Circassian territory conquered by Sarmatia (and also Abkhazia, outside of this map)
4. Ottoman territory (Crimea and Azov) conquered by Sarmatia
5. Ottoman territory conquered by Slovakia
6. Revolutionary Croatia
7. Revolutionary Greece (most of Moreea is outside this map)
8. Ottoman territory (Aegean Islands) conquered by the Crusader Fleets (mainly Spanish, but also Swedish, Venetian and Maltese) (other conquered Aegean Islands are outside of this map)
9. Ottoman territory (Southern Dalmatia and Valona) conquered by Venice
10. Ottoman territory (most of the Balkans) conquered by Romania
11. Ottoman territory still under Ottoman authority (in Europe only Pannonia and parts of Albania, Epirus, Serbia, Northern Dobrudja and Eastern Thrace)
12. The Sea of Marmara
13. The Aegean Sea

Last edited: