"Io Mihailŭ, Împĕratul Românilor" - A Michael the Brave Romania Wank

1. The Germans do not want a Republic. There are some really hot-headed Germans there who want to change everything from the foundations up. They did not prevail (and might never prevail).

Ah.

2. I take an OTL map (in those cases the 1600 Euratlas Wikipedia map) and:
- Open it in a free editor which allows working with layers (Paint.net)
- Add several transparent layers over it: country colors, coastlines & rivers, borders, labels, war arrows, etc.
- Draw on these layers, for example follow the coastlines, etc, with the benefit of seeing everything under it.
- Hide the original layer, save it as png and optimize it (optiPNG.exe)

I intend to make a tutorial about this. It is not extremely high-quality but rather fast and very easy to modify later.

IDEA: I can post a zip file containing the layered Paint.net files for everybody to mess with them if they want to!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE my TL seriously needs MAPS.

Zagan

Donor
ideal situation for France might well be something among these lines

1. France gets the border on the Rhine, grabbing the lands west of Rhine

2. Northernmost germany is partitioned by Denmark and/or Sweden,

3. the areas with Polish Majority in the Northeastern areas is grabbed by Poland.

4. Venice gets the Austrian coastlands making the Ardiatic sea a private lake.

5. North Italy is spilt off becoming a French Puppet (to independently minded to succesfully rule from Paris)

6. Austria rules a unstable federation where they're merely the loudest voice instead of a leading voice, but having to invest most of their time making sure noone gets the idea to topple them.

7. Spain is 'forced' to keep gifting Austria money unless Habsburg lose the little practical influence they have left, making for a leaky hole in the Spainish treasure chest.

... Now as for how realistic these ideas is, is an open question. Specially as Denmark and Sweden, and Sweden and Poland might not quite argee about where their respective borders might be. ... Ottomans might be inclined to argee with having Austria as a weak ruler of a decimated HRE being a better neighbour to have ascending Wettin Saxony-led German Empire, with noticebly less internal conflict.

German Empire might be just to strong for their own good in terms of protential alliances that aren't just spiteful against Habsburg (and hence quite finicky)

France may want a lot of things. However, there is little chance that they will get everything in a way that suits them!
1. Possible, but difficult. I will have to run some simulations first.
2. Absolutely not. Sweden has just been severely beaten by Poland a few years ago. Anyway, I have some things in mind for Denmark and Sweden.
3. Sorry, there were no areas with a clear Polish Majority in HRE. Anyway, there was a little spoiler in the end of the chapter about Poland (the Polish intervention in the German War - stratus quo ante bellum). Poland has other priorities right now: Russia and Ottoman Empire.
4. The Venetians look funny towards Trieste since the Romanian-Habsburg War.
5. Quite probable.
6. Hmm, no spoilers here. (resolution in the next chapter maybe)
7. Same as 6.

The Ottomans might try something, but Mihai is going to smash them hard quite soon.

This German Empire, much likes OTL German Empire spells trouble for Europe with its presence only, never mind any potential aggresiveness.

Last edited:
However, there is little chance that they will get everything in a way that suits them!

Sure, getting everything that they want is very unlikely (specially as they would ultimately have to war both sides to get there), but as an unsorted lists of "Nice things to happen", its probably a good start.

Zagan

Donor
Ah.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE my TL seriously needs MAPS.

I will do it when I will have time for it.
I want to do a very good tutorial, so it will take some time.

In the mean time, I volunteer to do a few maps (similar quality to mine) for your TL. Just P.M. me with the requirements and I will do what I can.
I mean it. I really want to help. Do not be shy to ask.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
Sure, getting everything that they want is very unlikely (specially as they would ultimately have to war both sides to get there), but as an unsorted lists of "Nice things to happen", its probably a good start.

Sure.
To put it in fewer words: Anything bad for Germany is good for France.

Last edited:
I.24. The German War

Zagan

Donor
The Unification of Romania was noticed only by its neighbours.
The Unification of Germany got almost all of Europe involved.

The German War

Most Protestant German States join the German Empire.
The largest are Saxony, Brandenburg, Pomerania, Mecklenburg, Braunschweig-Lüneburg and Württemberg. They contribute the most part of the Empire's military, but conscription is instituted all over Germany anyway.

Only a few German Princes share the enthusiasm of the German Nationalists. Most of them choose to join the German Empire for various reasons:
- Internal Nationalist pressure ranging from printed articles and small demonstrations to outright revolution.
- External Nationalist pressure ranging from demonstrations of force to actual invasion.
- The desire to look progressive and court the good will of the Nationalist Party, by now a formidable force.
- Fear of the republicans of Radical Germany, the Catholics and their Emperor, external intervention - Denmark, Sweden, Poland, France, Spain, etc.
- It simply looks unavoidable: the few States which actually refused to become Federal States of the newly created German Empire were ruthlessly invaded, outright annexed and even had their Princes deposed as in the cases of Anhalt and Hessen-Darmstadt.

By the end of the year, almost all Protestant Germany was united in the Federal German Empire.
The notable exceptions were: the United Netherlands (already independent de facto), the Protestant Cantons of Switzerland (already independent de facto) and the States of the Bohemian Crown: Bohemia, Silesia and Moravia (still under the rule of Emperor Matthias, de jure). The quite numerous Protestants in Catholic Austria were obviously not included as well.

The few small remaining Protestant States finally join the German Empire.
The Protestants are gaining influence in several small Catholic States. Some of them join Germany as well.
No overt military action is taken against any Catholic State yet, but sporadic fighting erupts in various States.

22 March
Prince Augustus of Saxony is elected Emperor of Germany by the German Parliament with 73% of the total votes.
He assumes the legendary name Siegfried and is crowned Siegfried I Augustus Emperor of Germany. His intention was to have Augustus look like an Imperial Title rather than a given name. It worked. All future Emperors of Germany would take the name (or title) Augustus.

23 March
Augustus abdicates as Prince of Saxony. It has been previously decided by the German Parliament that the Emperor must be striclty neutral and not connected to any of the Federal States in order to eliminate favouritism.
The Ernestine Branch of the House of Wettin assumed power in Saxony.

31 March
The Prague Parliament disolves the Bohemian Crown and deposes King Matthias. Bohemia, Moravia and Silesia adhere to the German Empire as three distinct Federal States.

7 April
Emperor Matthias dies in Vienna under unclear circumstances. Most people believe he commited suicide.

19 April
Albert VII renounces his rights to the Archduchy of Austria in favour of his cousin Ferdinand II. Albert remains sovereign of the Habsburg Netherlands and Ferdinand assumes the Crown in Vienna.
The election of a new Holy Roman Emperor is rendered impossible by the lack of quorum. Of the former seven Electors, four no longer exist (Bohemia, Palatinate, Saxony and Brandenburg are part of the German Empire, not of the Holy Roman Empire) and one has no means of leaving his enclave (Mainz).

4 May
Ferdinand creates the Kingdom of Austria out of his remaining territories: Austria proper, Styria, Carinthia, Carniola, Tirol, the Hungarian and Croatian regions annexed in 1602 by the Pressburg Peace Treaty and other small areas.
For all intents and purposes, the Holy Roman Empire is defunct.

8 August
King Ferdinand of Austria rescinds all laws enacted by his predecessors granting religious rights to the Austrian Protestants. The Kingdom of Austria is supposed to become a pure Catholic State. The forced conversion of the Protestant population is attempted.

22 August
The German Empire asks for the rights of the Protestants to be respected in all German States. An Ultimatum is delivered to Austria.

31 August
The Holy Alliance is signed by Austria and most of the other Catholic German States, including almost all Bishoprics.

16 September
The German Empire orders general mobilization. Large armies are levied all over Germany.

23 September
The Holy Alliance also starts preparing for war.

27 September
Spain joins the Holy Alliance. Numerous Spanish troops are sent to Italy wherefrom to start their long march towards Germany.

30 September
Sarmatia (Poland-Lithuania) joins the Holy Alliance and starts preparing for the invasion of Germany.

October-November
The low level hostilities slowly escalate to full-blown war. Heavy fighting is reported in Central Germany, especially in the vicinity of the rivers Rhine and Main.

10 December
The German armies from Bohemia invade Austria and start advancing towards Vienna. The Austrians manage to stop them at the gates of their Capital.

January-May
With no foreign armies on German soil, the German Empire has the upper hand and manages to subdue all territory East of the Rhine including Bavaria and the Western parts of Austria in a matter of months. They fail however to capture Vienna.

2 June
The half-hearted Sarmatian intervention begins.
Sarmatia had hundreds of thousands of soldiers deep into war-torn Russia and many others guarding the Black Sea and the Baltic Littorals in order to fend off any possible Ottoman and respectively Swedish invasions.
Other important army effectives were scattered all over the large Sarmatian territory dealing with the Zaporogian Cossacks, the Orthodoxes who refused the Union with Rome and the Protestants from the Baltic Lands.
Less than 100,000 Sarmatian soldiers would be deployed in Germany at any given time.
In the following two years, the Sarmatian armies would attempt unsuccessfully to cross the Oder, most of the fighting being in Eastern Pomerania, Eastern Brandenburg and parts of Silesia.

August-September
The Spanish armies begin to arrive in Austria and relieve Vienna.
In the following months, they enter Bavaria but fail to advance further into Germany.

December
The fighting becomes less intense, neither Germany nor the Holy Alliance being able to win a decisive victory. The bad weather contributes to the lull.

Germany has around 1,300,000 soldiers deployed over its entire territory, while the Holy Alliance did not manage to levy more than 600,000.

11 March
Long and difficult negotiations between the German Empire and France are finalized with the Treaty of Verdun.
France recognizes the German Empire as the sole representative of all Germans and agrees to enter the war on their side.
Germany agrees to cede its Westernmost Catholic territories to France, i.e. the Habsburg Netherlands, Lorraine, Burgundy, Savoy and some Bishoprics.

17 March
Radical Germany declares that the Nationalist Party has betrayed Germany by accepting to cede German territories to other countries.
The Radicals say that they represent all the Germans, not merely the Protestants and all the Catholic Germans should become part of Germany as well.

19 March
The Radicals attempt a coup d'état and storm the German Parliament. The German army enters Dresden and quells the rebellion.

April-July
A lesser civil war between the Nationalists and the Radicals takes place inside the areas controlled by the German Empire. Helped by the army, the Nationalist Government prevails and the Radicals are completely defeated.
Taking advantage of this situation, the forces of the Holy Alliance manage to take some territories, advancing up to 100 miles in some areas.

30 June
France joins the German War on the side of the German Empire.
The French armies attack in all directions: at the Pyrenees, in the Spanish Netherlands, in Lorraine and Burgundy.

July-December
France entering the War greatly changes the balance in favour of Germany.
With their Western flank secure, the German armies attack vigurously in the South and East.
The Spanish and German Catholic armies are pushed back into Austria and the Sarmatians are expelled from German soil.

The war becomes less of a German Civil War and more of an European War. Religious issues become less important because France, a Catholic country, took the side of Protestant Germany in 1614 and Protestant Denmark and Sweden are to join the Catholic Holy Alliance.

19 January
Germany captures the Sarmatian City of Danzig. Sarmatia calls its armies from Russia to defend their homeland.

3 February
Denmark invades Germany from Danish controlled Holstein.

12 February
A Swedish army led by Swedish King Gustavus Adolphus invades Pomerania by Sea.

1 March
Sarmatia exits the war. A white peace is signed with Germany.
Sarmatia recognizes the German Empire and its rights over all German States, status quo ante bellum is accepted and all German armies retreat into Germany. No reparations are payed.
The Sarmatians could have continued the war, but the prospect of being allied with their old foe Sweden was probably too much for them. By this time, the Sarmatians were actually not sure if they preferred a stronger Sweden or a stronger Germany.

January-April
After occupying all the territories promissed by Germany, the French armies cross the Rhine into Southern Catholic Germany and advance towands Lake Constance.

March-May
The Spaniards attack in Savoy and along the Pyrenees. France has to retreat a few armies to defend against the Spanish invasion.

17 July
The Germans decisively vanquish the invading Danes. The Danish armies in Mecklenburg and Holstein are obliterated before joining the Swedes from Pomerania.

July-October
Germany occupies Holstein, then Schleswig, then Jutland.
The Swedes are defeated in Pomerania and sail for Denmark leaving behind tens of thousands of casualties and prisoners of war.

20 November
The Swedish and Danish armies are defeated near Copenhagen. The war in Scandinavia is over. The following day, Denmark capitulates and Sweden sues for peace.
It became painfully clear that in that new Europe of large National States with armies based upon general conscription, countries with small population like Sweden and Denmark had no further prospect of ever being Great Powers again.

The German Empire is victorious on all fronts but nearly bankrupt. It controls almost all of the former Holy Roman Empire, except the areas occupied by France, about half of Austria still held by the Holy Alliance, Switzerland, the Netherlands and the Italian States.
France has realized all its goals and is getting reluctant to help Germany any further. The Pyrenees campaign has turned into a stalemate.
Sarmatia and the Scandinavians are already out of the war.
Spain has realized that defeating both France and Germany is impossible.

5 March
Peace negotiations begin in Prague between France, the German Empire, Spain and Austria.

23 March
Germany invades the Netherlands. England is helps the Netherlands.
After heavy fighting, the German armies reach the Zuiderzee and cut the Netherlands in half.

25 March
Germany invades Switzerland. The Protestant Cantons welcome the Germans. The Catholic Cantons fight back vigorously.

1 April
France threatens Germany to withdraw its support.

April-May
Sporadic low intensity fighting goes on in Austria. No further attempt is made to take Vienna. Spain is getting desperate to find a way out of the war. Germany claims that Switzerland and the Netherlands are German territories, though neither are fully occupied.

4 June
The German Empire, Austria, France and Spain sign an armistice for a period of five years. Temporary demarcation lines are agreed upon.

The first phase of the German War is over.
Almost two million Germans are dead, chaos and destruction are widespread, but the consensus in war-torn Germany is that the war was worth fighting.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
Why would France support the German Empire?

1. Their main enemies were Habsburg Spain and Habsburg Austria, not in any way the German Protestants.
2. They supported the German Protestants in OTL as well in the Thirty Years War.
3. They managed to significantly enlarge their territories (almost all Western Catholic States of the HRE). Maps soon.
4. Political myopia maybe? At that time it was rather difficult to realize that in the long term Germany would be more, ahem, unpleasant then Spain.

Last edited:
1. Their main enemies were Habsburg Spain and Habsburg Austria, not in any way the German Protestants.
2. They supported the German Protestants in OTL as well in the Thirty Years War.
3. They managed to significantly enlarge their territories (almost all Western Catholic States of the HRE). Maps soon.
4. Political myopia maybe? At that time it was rather difficult to realize that in the long term Germany would be more, ahem, unpleasant then Spain.

I think France won the most in this war, honestly. Taking advantage of the already united german states to create a more or less friendly nation on your eastern border, expanding greatly your territory, and having to carry some battles that were less burdening than the ones carried by the germans. I think it was brilliant. Now France only needs the netherlands, the swiss cantons, savoy, catalonia and a border to the rhine, and then all bets are off.

Though, I do not understand how Carolus Adolphus could have been defeated, seeing as he was one of the brightest men in terms of military matters. Anyway, I would have guessed that Sweden would at this point just align itself with germany and try to create a Scandinavian nation.

Also, what does Russia think of everything that happened in Europe? Wouldn't they want to ally Germany against Sarmatia? And if yes, that will call Romania into war as Sarmatia's ally.
As far as I can tell, the Russian Romanovs have always had ties in the German courts, so it would only seem natural.

Zagan

Donor
I think France won the most in this war, honestly. Taking advantage of the already united german states to create a more or less friendly nation on your eastern border, expanding greatly your territory, and having to carry some battles that were less burdening than the ones carried by the germans. I think it was brilliant. Now France only needs the netherlands, the swiss cantons, savoy, catalonia and a border to the rhine, and then all bets are off.

Though, I do not understand how Carolus Adolphus could have been defeated, seeing as he was one of the brightest men in terms of military matters. Anyway, I would have guessed that Sweden would at this point just align itself with germany and try to create a Scandinavian nation.

Also, what does Russia think of everything that happened in Europe? Wouldn't they want to ally Germany against Sarmatia? And if yes, that will call Romania into war as Sarmatia's ally.
As far as I can tell, the Russian Romanovs have always had ties in the German courts, so it would only seem natural.

1. Gustavus Adolphus was brilliant, but:
- ITTL he had access to a drastically reduced Sweden in terms of territory, population, wealth and military. His country has been beaten by the Poles a few years before he assumed the throne. It simply could not recover so fast.
- Sweden was IOTL a great power only because it dealt with non-centralised states which lacked a proper bureaucracy, functioning state apparatus and military conscription, things which Sweden possessed.
When instead of disparate waring German States with small armies you get a huge German Empire, 20 times bigger than Sweden in terms of population, you certainly have a problem. Germany levied an army bigger than the whole population of Sweden and Denmark combined!
- Sweden and Denmark did not graps the disproportion between them and Germany and attempted extremely belatedly to stop it. They obviously failed. Now they both realized their mistake and would simply align with Germany in the future.

2. Russia is still in the Times of Trouble. Civil War, Polish intervention, more than half of its European part under Polish occupation, big trouble, bigger and longer than OTL because Poland-Lithuania, a.k.a. Sarmatia is much stronger.
Anyway, Russia had involuntarily an extremely big influence over the German War. Russia kept busy about 300,000 of the best Sarmatian soldiers, which were thus incapable of invading Germany at the same time.
The Romanovs are not in power yet ITTL.

3. When the Germans entered Saramatia near Danzig, the Alliance with Romania of course kicked in. I did not mention it because Sarmatia and Germany signed a peace so quickly that no Romanian soldier had time to arrive anywhere near the conflict zone.

4. France got Savoy as well, plus Geneva and a few other lands. Maps soon (promisses again...). And yes, France is in a very good position. It just could not defeat the Spaniards to cross the Pyrenees, so Catalonia is out of the question for the time being.
Spain realized that it has to keep its army home to defend against the French, so any future adventures in Central Europe are improbable now.
A French border on the Rhine is the age old dream of the French in all TLs. But, no spoilers here.
The Netherlands are Protestant and thus theoretically assigned to Germany. We shall see.

Last edited:
Map #10. Germany in 1612, just before the start of the German War

Zagan

Donor

Germany in 1612, just before the start of the German War

HRE 1612 Full.png

Notes:
1. The German Empire, the Netherlands and the Swiss Cantons are de facto independent from the Holy Roman Empire.
2. The Lands of the Bohemian Crown had just voted to accede to the German Empire, thus leaving the Habsburg Monarchy.
3. The de facto status of the Italian States with regard to the Holy Roman Empire is uncertain.
4. While the Kingdom of Austria is a full member of the dying Holy Roman Empire, it is colored in its own color due to its importance.
5. Some extremely complex borders in the HRE are shown in a simplified manner.

Last edited:
Map #11. Germany during the War

Zagan

Donor

Germany during the War

HRE 1615 War Full.png

Notes:
1. Only the areas occupied by Germany inside the HRE have been annexed. The areas occupied in Denmark proper and Sarmatia were later released.
2. The areas occupied by France were later placed under civil administration without being properly annexed.
3. The border between Germany and France is a actually nothing more than a temporary demarcation line pending the final peace treaty.
4. The whole of Netherlands, Switzerland and Austria are claimed by Germany. They are de facto independent and de jure members of the HRE.
5. The Italian States are in limbo.
6. The borders inside the Netherlands, Switzerland and Austria are actually armistice lines.
7. Again, this is not a final peace settlement, but only a ceasefire / armistice. Everything is temporary / facts on the ground.
8. The only peace treaties were between Germany and (separately) Sarmatia, Denmark and Sweden.
9. Germany and France are not very good friends anymore.
10. Sarmatia is neutral, having more important business in Russia and later in Crimea.
11. Denmark and Sweden begin to get closer to Germany.
12. Spain has lost the Southern Netherlands and does not want to have anything to do anymore with Germany / Austria / HRE.
13. The Ottoman Empire is relieved that Austria is still there.
14. France and Germany are happy. The others are not.

Last edited:
Map #12. Germany During the Ceasefire Period

Zagan

Donor

Germany During the Ceasefire Period
(June 1616 - January 1622)

HRE 1618 Peace Full.png

Notes:
1. The Italian States are de facto independent from the HRE. Only Austria (most of it) and Salzburg (a small part) are still considering themselves to be parts of the HRE.
2. Salzburg (the small part not occupied by the German Empire) is administered by Austria, like the other smaller Bishoprics enclaved into Austrian territory.
3. Germany treats all occupied territories of Austria, Netherlands and Switzerland as integral parts of the German Empire and claims the rest of their territories as well.
4. The independence of Switzerland and Netherlands is not recognized by any State. De jure, the HRE is still made of: Germany, Austria, Netherlands, Switzerland, the Italian States and the areas incorporated by France. De facto, the HRE means absolutely nothing.

Ready for now. No more maps till the next chapter.

Last edited:

Habsburg spain is ok, but austria isnt relevant anymore at that time, its not stromg enough to be france enemy.

Yeah but the the germans were not unified in otl, now it is a behemoth on france border.

France can get the land by conquest as well, and not a treaty.

I just think France has a strategic interest in keeping the protestant weak, the germans that they can mess with whenever they like suddenly become a singular state like france themselves, should be a shock to france itself.

France now get sandwiched between a not too weak spain and a unified german that has a different religion, and the germans have claim on some french land, the german under the rule of france. I am not sure of their relationship with england. I just think the strategic position of france is very not nice. Yeah, the germans will have round two and france should do sth to improve its position. Maybe by allying with sarmatia, the danes, countries claimed by germans like netherlands and the swiss.

Yet i like this timeline, looking forward to updates.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
Habsburg spain is ok, but austria isnt relevant anymore at that time, its not stromg enough to be france enemy.

Yeah but the the germans were not unified in otl, now it is a behemoth on france border.

France can get the land by conquest as well, and not a treaty.

I just think France has a strategic interest in keeping the protestant weak, the germans that they can mess with whenever they like suddenly become a singular state like france themselves, should be a shock to france itself.

France now get sandwiched between a not too weak spain and a unified german that has a different religion, and the germans have claim on some french land, the german under the rule of france. I am not sure of their relationship with england. I just think the strategic position of france is very not nice. Yeah, the germans will have round two and france should do sth to improve its position. Maybe by allying with sarmatia, the danes, countries claimed by germans like netherlands and the swiss.

Yet i like this timeline, looking forward to updates.

Thank you for advice and kind words.

You have to realize that I am not a great AH writer. I do make mistakes and sometime choose less than probable outcomes.

A point, though: Germany is still not a Centralized State like France, but a Federal Structure.
And they are not extremely strong either. Even with French assistence the Protestants were not able to evict the Habsburgs from Vienna and 3/4 of Austria.

The balance of power has changed; the system of alliances will change as well.

Germany does not want too many Catholics inside their Empire.
The national idea in Germany is still blurry and gets confused with the idea of Protestantism. Most so called Nationalists want more to create a Protestant State rather than a German State. Some of them are actually happy to get rid of the Western Catholic States (which by the way were only partially German to be honest).

Last edited:
Thank you for advice and kind words.

You have to realize that I am not a great AH writer. I do make mistakes and sometime choose less than probable outcomes.

A point, though: Germany is still not a Centralized State like France, but a Federal Structure.
And they are not extremely strong either. Even with French assistence the Protestants were not able to evict the Habsburgs from Vienna and 3/4 of Austria.

The balance of power has changed; the system of alliances will change as well.

Germany does not want too many Catholics inside their Empire.
The national idea in Germany is still blurry and gets confused with the idea of Protestantism. Most so called Nationalists want more to create a Protestant State rather than a German State. Some of them are actually happy to get rid of the Western Catholic States (which by the way were only partially German to be honest).

I for one love it, but it's probably in part due to the fact that I'm Romanian :).
Anyway, historically speaking, a balance of power was always, even if without saying it, desired by all the major states in europe. When Sweden blobed out of existence by taking on Denmark, the official northern power, on russia, on the HRE and on the Commonwealth, most of Europe united against them. Same with the Dutch, the turks, the spaniards, Napoleon's France, Germany/Austria/Ottomans in WW1 and Nazi Germany in WW2. Germany will soon face the consequences of it's sudden rise, since they do not have Bismarck here, nor do they have anyone like Mihai.

Romania may aswell have defeated Austria, the emperor of HRE, but Germany took the pariah award when it united itself and won a war against Spain, the HRE, the scandinavians and Sarmatia. I can hardly believe anyone besides Russia or perhaps England would ally Germany.

Yes, having said that, I can actually see Germany sending aid to Russia to stabilize it, only to gain itself a giant ally against sarmatia.
And I can also see a Scotland-France/England-Germany war.
Also, the Dutch are still better then the English in the navy department, and there is still some animosity between the English and the Spanish I believe over the piracy business. Since both spain and the Netherlands are enemies of Germany, I can easily see an English-German alliance.

Also, if Romania liberates itself from the vassal status and manages to beat the Ottomans and push them at least out of Serbia-Hungary-Bulgaria, then a war between Germany/England/Russia/Ottomans and France/Dutch/Spanish/Sarmatia/Romania is a probable, and very cool scenario.
Yes, it may seem highly unlikely, but do remember the highly unrealistic alliances that happened in real life, like the Diplomatic Revolution, or the War of the League of Cambrai.

You have created a very interesting, and at the same time highly amusing political teatre in europe. I just love it :).

Zagan

Donor
I for one love it, but it's probably in part due to the fact that I'm Romanian :).
Anyway, historically speaking, a balance of power was always, even if without saying it, desired by all the major states in europe. When Sweden blobed out of existence by taking on Denmark, the official northern power, on russia, on the HRE and on the Commonwealth, most of Europe united against them. Same with the Dutch, the turks, the spaniards, Napoleon's France, Germany/Austria/Ottomans in WW1 and Nazi Germany in WW2. Germany will soon face the consequences of it's sudden rise, since they do not have Bismarck here, nor do they have anyone like Mihai.

Romania may aswell have defeated Austria, the emperor of HRE, but Germany took the pariah award when it united itself and won a war against Spain, the HRE, the scandinavians and Sarmatia. I can hardly believe anyone besides Russia or perhaps England would ally Germany.

Yes, having said that, I can actually see Germany sending aid to Russia to stabilize it, only to gain itself a giant ally against sarmatia.
And I can also see a Scotland-France/England-Germany war.
Also, the Dutch are still better then the English in the navy department, and there is still some animosity between the English and the Spanish I believe over the piracy business. Since both spain and the Netherlands are enemies of Germany, I can easily see an English-German alliance.

Also, if Romania liberates itself from the vassal status and manages to beat the Ottomans and push them at least out of Serbia-Hungary-Bulgaria, then a war between Germany/England/Russia/Ottomans and France/Dutch/Spanish/Sarmatia/Romania is a probable, and very cool scenario.
Yes, it may seem highly unlikely, but do remember the highly unrealistic alliances that happened in real life, like the Diplomatic Revolution, or the War of the League of Cambrai.

You have created a very interesting, and at the same time highly amusing political teatre in europe. I just love it :).

Your analysis is very interesting. I may take some notes and use some of these in the future chapters.

1. Germany will be defeated, but not destroyed / broken apart.
2. Romania defeated only Austria. Romania did not attack all its neighbours and allied with Poland. I think it was more sensible than what Germany did.
3. The Scandinavians realized that they can not and should not ever again be against Germany. Something like IOTL 19th century.
4. Sarmatia would like to have a weaker Germany but does not want any territory with Germans / Protestants. And the involment in Russia is really stretching its capabilities.
5. Spain really does not care anymore about now far-away Germany (the former Spanish Netherlands are now French and Austria is a liability).
6. France realized that while the conquered regions are nice, its large Eastern neighbour does not look so nice after all. It is now too late to do anything? Well, conquering the whole of it is not feasable, but the Rhine is not so far away... The United Netherlands would be great as a French client as well...
7. Russia will recover and still play a role in European politics, albeil a smaller role than IOTL.
8. Scotland and England are in Personal Union. Difficult to wage war with one another under these circumstances.
9. England will only ally with Germany if France allies with Spain etc.
10. The great and decisive Romanian-Ottoman War is just around the corner. (if not the next chapter, the one after that)
11. Yes, history will unfold faster than IOTL, because the age of Nationalism started earlier. Europe is going to coalesce into several big and powerful centralized states. A system of alliances would definitely take shape and with it the danger of an all-European War (all these take time though).

Last edited:
Your analysis is very interesting. I may take some notes and use some of these in the future chapters.

1. Germany will be defeated, but not destroyed / broken apart.
2. Romania defeated only Austria. Romania did not attack all its neighbours and allied with Poland. I think it was more sensible than what Germany did.
3. The Scandinavians realized that they can not and should not ever again be against Germany. Something like IOTL 19th century.
4. Sarmatia would like to have a weaker Germany but does not want any territory with Germans / Protestants. And the involment in Russia is really stretching its capabilities.
5. Spain really does not care anymore about now far-away Germany (the former Spanish Netherlands are now French and Austria is a liability).
6. France realized that while the conquered regions are nice, its large Eastern neighbour does not look so nice after all. It is now too late to do anything? Well, conquering the whole of it is not feasable, but the Rhine is not so far away... The United Netherlands would be great as a French client as well...
7. Russia will recover and still play a role in European politics, albeil a smaller role than IOTL.
8. Scotland and England are in Personal Union. Difficult to wage war with one another under these circumstances.
9. England will only ally with Germany if France allies with Spain etc.
10. The great and decisive Romanian-Ottoman War is just around the corner. (if not the next chapter, the one after that)
11. Yes, history will unfold faster than IOTL, because the age of Nationalism started earlier. Europe is going to coalesce into several big and powerful centralized states. A system of alliances would definitely take shape and with it the danger of an all-European War (all these take time though).

You ought to do one post regarding the Americas :D. There could be some very interesting reactions to this so called ''nationalism'' at home in Europe. Also, with Europe being engulfed in war, I imagine the european colonial empires would raise taxes on their colonies, which would trigger some Boston Tea Party-kind of reaction.
Another scenario would be for one of the european powers, most likely spain, to isolate itself from the european political stage and pursue further colonial aquisitions.
Or, if the dutch are vanquished, and if you watch anime, it may aswell trigger a Britannia kind of scenario that happened in the anime Code Geass.
Anyway, as I already said, very cool thread. I'm loving it.

Zagan

Donor
You ought to do one post regarding the Americas :D. There could be some very interesting reactions to this so called ''nationalism'' at home in Europe. Also, with Europe being engulfed in war, I imagine the european colonial empires would raise taxes on their colonies, which would trigger some Boston Tea Party-kind of reaction.
Another scenario would be for one of the european powers, most likely spain, to isolate itself from the european political stage and pursue further colonial aquisitions.
Or, if the dutch are vanquished, and if you watch anime, it may aswell trigger a Britannia kind of scenario that happened in the anime Code Geass.
Anyway, as I already said, very cool thread. I'm loving it.

The chapter(s) about America are planned for later, significantly later (mid-century maybe). Now, the population of all British North America is maybe 10,000 - 20,000 for example.
The little thing about Spain... pssst, please don't tell anyone else. :)
I will not tell you right now about the Dutch. One or two chapters down the road you'll have it.
I have never watched anime, sorry.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
Allies against the Ottomans?

Which are the possible allies for Romania in the coming anti-Ottoman war?
Already having an alliance:
1. Sarmatia (Poland-Lithuania)
2. Slovakia (very weak)

Potential allies:
3. Rump Austria?? (has to watch its back!)
4. Venice?
5. Genoa? (playing nice with its rival Venice?)
6. Spain? (can it forgive Romania's beating of Rudolf?)
7. Don Cossacks??
8. Somebody else?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Last edited: