So, something I just noticed earlier, there was a reference to a temple of Ahura Mazda becoming a temple of Zeus, and then it was stated "ironically later in became a shrine to Zeus Oromazdes" back in update 6 in the city of Hyrkanis. Does that mean Ahura Mazda and Zeus eventually becomes synchronized by the Argead Empire/their successors? Since it was stated ironically, almost like it went from one god, to another god back to the initial god it was devoted to.
Yes Zeus-Oromazdes is the synchronized form of Zeus and Ahura Mazda, like how in OTL in Ptolemaic Egypt Zeus was sometimes worshipped as Zeus-Ammon. Your reading is correct, the shrine went from one god to another and then to a syncretism of them both.

Last edited:
16. Egypt in the late 320's
16.Egypt during the late 320’s

I, Usermontu, iry-pat, Royal Companion, Fan-bearer on the Right Side of the King, Admiral of the Fleet of Upper Egypt, priest of Horus at his temple at Djeba, was alongside the younger god when he waged war against vile Kush. His Majesty praised me for my valour and strength, and awarded me with estates in Nubia and made me Overseer of the Lands of Kush. He ordered me to restore the fortress at Semna and the shrines located therein. This I did for His Majesty, I reinforced the walls and towers, and I renamed the fortress ‘Khakaura-smites-the-Kushites’.

- Inscription of Usermontu found at Semna

Nakhtnebef’s second campaign against the Nubians was a great victory for the Lord of the Two Lands. His and his father’s earlier campaigns to the south had prepared the way for the eventual annexation of large tracts of land. The pharaoh’s motivation for annexing the lands up to the Fourth Cataract were not much different from his distant predecessors, controlling the trade and the gold mines plus eliminating a potential threat was more than enough reason for an ambitious ruler. The king returned to Memphis in April 324 and seems to have spend the rest of the year in Lower Egypt. Construction projects around this time were concentrated in the Delta, at the Iseion [1] at Hebyt he ordered extensive expansions, a new pylon and courtyard were to be constructed, which would include shrines to Isis herself, her husband Osiris and two forms of the god Horus. These were Hor-pa-Khered (Horus-the-Child), a child form of the falcon deity which was associated with healing, and a new form of the god, Hor-Nakht (Horus the Victor), associated with military victory. Probably a theological invention of the king himself or one of his close advisors, Hor-Nakht associated the king even more explicitly with martial glory, and is often portrayed holding either a mace or spear, striking at Egypt’s enemies. He was closely associated with the Thirtieth Dynasty, but later on would become more or less the patron of the army, together with Montu and Anhur.

It is around this time, after the Second Nubian Campaign, that the king started his military reforms. Egypt’s military was built on two pillars: the native machimoi and the foreign mercenaries, mostly Greek but substantial amounts of Phoenicians, Judeans and Arabs also served, in addition to the Nubians and Libyans. The sometimes strained relationship between the Delta nobility, who commanded the machimoi, and the monarchy, had caused clashes in the past and had notably led to the end of the Twenty-Sixth Dynasty and the Achaemenid conquest of Egypt. The recent capture of the gold mines of Nubia, and the plunder from his campaigns, were a significant addition to the pharaonic treasury. Now in addition to his mercenary forces Nakhtnebef raised several regiments of Egyptian professional troops, who would serve directly beneath the king. They were named the senenu, ‘companions’, which betrays where the king got his idea from. Philip II had used the gold of Pangaion to forge the Macedonians into an world-conquering army, now Nakhtnebef II would use the gold of Nubia to establish an professional army of his own. Despite this inspiration they were not armed like the Macedonians, the Egyptians would for now not adapt the pike phalanx. Like the machimoi the senenu were a versatile force, often armed with a large shield, a spear, polearm or axe, their armour consisting of leather, linen or in some cases bronze or iron scales. In contrast to the machimoi however most of the senenu were equipped with bronze helmets. The Macedonian influence is more apparent with the cavalry, part of which the king had reorganised as Macedonian-style lancers, and employed both Egyptians and foreigners among their ranks. They were already in place before the Nubian campaign, and played an important part in the decisive battle at Kawa. Bakenanhur, close confidante and friend of the king, was given the title ‘commander of the horsemen’ and was thus in charge of the cavalry regiments of the senenu.

In this era, despite Nakhtnebef’s investments, the senenu would never compose more than a fifth of the Egyptian army, still outnumbered by the machimoi and the mercenaries. It did however provide the king with a loyal force, and a counterbalance to the Delta nobility and their machimoi. Unsurprisingly the most of the senenu were stationed at Memphis, from where they could move quickly either into the Delta, into Asia or upriver to Upper Egypt and beyond. Some were also garrisoned in Sidon, Damascus or Gaza, and others in the Nubian fortresses or at the kingdom’s new southern border at Napata. They would be supplied from royal granaries, and their families would be provided for by the state. Most of the senenu were drawn from the machimoi, who gave up their plot of land in the Delta and decided to fully dedicate themselves to warfare.

50733799243_5291de1ed8_o.jpg

Egyptian soldier attacking a Libyan tribesman

Despite the prominence of this military project the years between 324 and 320 were mostly peaceful for Egypt. The king’s focus during these years was on his building projects, most notably his additions to his father’s festival complex just north of Memphis [2]. The already existing shrines of Amun and Ra were enlarged, two obelisks were erected on the riverside, proclaiming the piety of Nakhtnebef as king and his dedication to his father. The festival hall, where his father had celebrated the Sed-festival, was also expanded with a forecourt which included a sacred lake dedicated to Osiris. Near the end of Nakhtnebef’s reign a start was also made on the enclosure wall which eventually surrounded the temple complex, but it would only be completed under his successor. On one of the obelisks on the riverside the king gives his reasoning for the building project: ‘Here I made a home for my father Amun-Ra, King of the Gods, a northern sanctuary for the Royal Ka’. It was this name, Northern Sanctuary, or Ipet-Mehu, which would become the name under which the complex was known.

Outside of his construction works at Hebyt and Ipet-Mehu it was mostly at Waset that Nakhtnebef focussed his efforts. Major reconstruction work was done at Ipet-Resyt [3], where Nakhtnebef restored the works of his distant predecessors but also made sure that his own name was recorded among the inscriptions. At Ipetsut he unceremoniously had the barque-shrine [4] of Hakor, which was located just outside the First Pylon, dismantled and a new one constructed. The respect that Nakhtnebef showed to his distant predecessors of the New Kingdom he did not grant to the Twenty-Ninth Dynasty ruler. His most remarkable construction was the processional road he ordered, which led from the left bank of the Nile to the Djeser-Djeseru [5] in the hills west of Waset, and the small mortuary chapel he constructed near the west bank of the Nile.

The Thirtieth Dynasty had reinvigorated many traditions from the distant past, eager as they were to portray themselves as the rightful heirs of the now legendary kings of the New Kingdom, and Nakhtnebef II was no exception. For the first time in centuries a pharaonic funerary monument would arise on the western bank near Waset. While its size did not compare to the vast edifices constructed by the Ramessides the mortuary chapel of Nakhtnebef II was intricately decorated, both on the inside and the outside. On the outside Nakhtnebef is portrayed as the very image of a warrior-king, showing him in battle and crushing his enemies. On the inside of the temple the scenes are more private, Nakhtnebef is portrayed in leisure among his family, seated besides his wife while the royal children are playing. Remarkably intimate scenes, showing that besides a warrior the king was also a family man. In the temple’s inner sanctum, where the king’s cult statue would be kept, he is portrayed among the gods, who clasp him by the shoulder as if greeting a long lost friend. The chapel was located near the edge of the floodplain and near a quay, which gave it a unique position in another tradition which Nakhtnebef reinvigorated. During the Beautiful Festival of the Valley the cult statues of Amun-Ra, Mut and Khonsu would be taken out of Ipetsut and would visit the mortuary temples in the west of Waset. The height of the Festival’s splendour had been during the New Kingdom, but it had somewhat diminished during later periods, now however with a royal sponsor interested in the traditions of Waset and an abundance of Nubian gold the festival was once again one of the most important of the land [6]. With his mortuary temple located on the riverbank it was the first one to be visited by the gods during their journey to the Djeser-Djeseru, a great honour for the king, but also quite fitting for a man who had done so much to restore the prominence of the southern city.

The political situation of the Egyptian Kingdom was, thanks to increased prosperity, manageable for the king. Aided by his capable vizier Ankhefenkhonsu Nakhtnebef was generally seen as a capable, if somewhat military-centric ruler. The increased income from trade and the Nubian gold mines even allowed the ruler to alleviate the taxes on both the commoners and the temple estates, enhancing the popularity of the king. Nubia was ruled harshly in those days, and required a constant military presence. In contrast the Near Eastern ‘empire’ was more or less autonomous, safeguarded by several garrisons Egyptian rule more or less amounted to benign neglect. As long as tribute and trade flowed from the Levant into Egypt there was no reason for intervention. On the diplomatic front the most important event was the visit of Hieronymos of Cardia, envoy of Alexander, to Nakhtnebef. The pharaoh met him at the fortress of Pelusium. With the impressive battlements of the great fortress as background, Nakhtnebef hoped to make an impression on the foreigners who now visited Egypt. Stories of Alexander’s great eastern conquest had off course reached the land of the Nile, and Nakhtnebef, though a proud ruler who fancied himself a great warrior, must have thought it better not to provoke the conqueror. Thankfully for Nakhtnebef Alexander was, at least for now, not in a warlike mood. He had an empire to run, and needed at least several years to consolidate his gains. Egypt, with its control over valuable trade routes and bountiful natural resources, must have been an alluring target for the Great King, but for now its conquest was not on his agenda. The alliance between the Argeads and Egypt, once settled by Nakhthorheb and Philip, was now renewed by their sons, and gifts were exchanged. To a lesser ruler the king of Egypt would have sent gold, but since Alexander was one of the few who could say he was richer than the pharaoh that wasn’t an option. Indeed, Hieronymos gave Nakhtnebef precious lapis-lazuli and other exotic goods (apparently even an Indian brahman), and in return received something that Egyptian kings were always loathe to part with. Hieronymos returned to Babylon with a daughter of the pharaoh, although not by his primary wife, a 20-year old named Nitiqret (‘Neith is excellent’) whom the Macedonians would name Nitokris. For the pharaoh parting with one of his daughters was a rare humiliation, but a necessary one if he wished to keep relations with his much more powerful neighbour peaceful. In that way the marriage of Nitokris to Alexander could certainly be seen as a victory.

Footnotes

1. Temple of Isis at Hebyt
  2. See update 9, it’s the complex where Nakhthorheb celebrated the Sed-festival
  3. ‘the Southern Sanctuary’ i.e. Luxor Temple
  4. A barque shrine is a shrine where a sacred barque, a boat which carried a statue of a god, is kept. Karnak had multiple barque shrines, and during processions the barque would visit the shrines and rest there for some time, thus serving as waystation.
  5. ‘Holy of Holies’, better known as the Temple of Hatshepsut at Deir al-Bahri
  6. OTL there isn’t much known about the Beautiful Festival of the Valley after the New Kingdom, but it is mentioned as late as the rule of emperor Augustus.

Last edited:
Excellent update, good to seeing Egypt doing well. It will be interesting in seeing the future of any child born of Nitigret and Alexander, perhaps momentous.

As nice as Egypt's friendly relationship with the Macedonians is it cannot last. At this rate best Egypt would be retreat beyond the Sinai and fortify. Perhaps in emulation of Alexander they'll also attempt their own conquest of the unknown, and strike as far south as they can past Kush.

Last edited:
Assuming that Alexander's child with Nitokris inherits the Empire, I can see an older Nakhtnebef deciding to cede the Levant to his own grandson. I can see said son of Alexander attempting a conquest of Egypt on some pretense of reclaiming a family inheritance.

Assuming that Alexander's child with Nitokris inherits the Empire, I can see an older Nakhtnebef deciding to cede the Levant to his own grandson. I can see said son of Alexander attempting a conquest of Egypt on some pretense of reclaiming a family inheritance.
Alexander has already a son by his first wife, who is a Persian princess

Alexander has already a son by his first wife, who is a Persian princess
And being of Achaemenid descent is more likely to inherit the empire...

The update was a bit shorter than usual, I hope the Egyptian building stuff didn't bore anyone too much. The next update should cover more than 1 subject.

As nice as Egypt's friendly relationship with the Macedonians is it cannot last. At this rate best Egypt would be retreat beyond the Sinai and fortify. Perhaps in emulation of Alexander they'll also attempt their own conquest of the unknown, and strike as far south as they can past Kush.
Yes an everlasting peace is impossible, but a couple decades shouldn't be. Egypt won't antagonize the Argeads, and if Alexander has other priorities (or crises) a lasting peace is favorable to him as well. Retreating behind the Sinaï is more or less the opposite of what the Egyptians would do. Over the past centuries they have supported local rebels or intervened in the Levant against the Assyrians, Babylonians and Persians, now that they finally have managed to gain hegemony over the region it is unlikely they'll give it up without a fight. Expansion beyond Nubia is unlikely, and there really isn't anything to gain by expanding far beyond Meroë, south of which start the Sudd swamps which the Egyptians would be unable to cross. From Meroë it would be possible to travel to the Ethiopian highlands, but the primary power there was Aksum, located near the coast and thus for the Egyptians easier to reach by sea.

Regarding a possible cbild of Alexander and Nitiqret and succession: Alexander's children with Artakama are older and of Achaemenid descent, which is an important point of legitimacy and continuity to Alexander's Persian subjects. As long as they are alive it is unlikely that Nitiqret's children will inherit the kingship.

Last edited:
Retreating behind the Sinaï is more or less the opposite of what the Egyptians would do.
Certainly, but to the Agreads it'd be a dagger pointed at their underbelly once their surrounding has been pacified. They'll want it eventually and for them it's far easier geographically.

If the son by Artakama remains with his mother, is trained to be a governor and turns out to be mediocre at best, while the son or sons by Nitiqret travels with the army, is trained to be a general and is as excellent as his father and grandfather(s), then it's only a matter of winning a civil war.

Certainly, but to the Agreads it'd be a dagger pointed at their underbelly once their surrounding has been pacified. They'll want it eventually and for them it's far easier geographically.
Egypt isn't a threat as long as it isn't hostile to the Argeads. Which for the moment they aren't.

If the son by Artakama remains with his mother, is trained to be a governor and turns out to be mediocre at best, while the son or sons by Nitiqret travels with the army, is trained to be a general and is as excellent as his father and grandfather(s), then it's only a matter of winning a civil war.
Certainly an interesting scenario!

Last edited:
Next update should be up relatively soon (wednesday at its latest) I have 2 weeks off but can't do much else because of the lockdown, which leaves me with enough time to write.

I'm just curious, what sources do you use?
My sources are:

The Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt by Toby Wilkinson
The Oxford History of Ancient Egypt by Ian Shaw
Afterglow of Empire by Aidan Dodson
Trouble in the West: Egypt and the Persian Empire 525-332 BCE by Stephen Ruzicka
L'Égypte et la vallée du Nil Tome 3: les époques tardives by Frédéric Payraudeau (French book about Late Period Egypt)
Army and Society in Ptolemaic Egypt by Christelle Fischer-Bovet
Lives of the Ancient Egyptians by Toby Wilkinson
The Macedonian War Machine 359-281 BC by David Karunanithy
De komst van Alexander by Henk Singor (Dutch book about Alexander the Great)
Philippus en Alexander: Wereldveroveraars uit Macedonië by Adrian Goldsworthy (that's the Dutch version, in English it's called Philip and Alexander: Kings and Conquerors)
Alexander to Actium by Peter Green
Carthage Must Be Destroyed: Rise and Fall of an ancient civilization by Richard Miles
The Carthaginians by Dexter Hoyos
and wikipedia and livius.org

Hecatee

Donor
UGent, KUL of VUB ? :)
That's a good selection, and I had missed that Goldsworthy, one more order to make... Thanks for giving us a glimpse into your library !

Wow, that's a lot...
But then I have never wrote a serious TL.
I guess it really depends on the subject and scope of the TL. If I decided to focus the TL on just Egypt less books would be needed, for example. I also didn't buy all of them just for the TL, some of them I already bought out of personal interest.