Hadrian's Consolidation - reboot

About windmills I can't say it rings a bell. Watermill on the other hand have been found in a number of places, I've read about a few dozens of them including flour mills and sawmills for wood and for stone. I personally visited those of Barbegual (Arles, France) and Jerash (Jordan). Actually I should check if I'll see any more during my upcoming trip to Algeria and Tunisia... Anyway, their is still room for improvement. For instance the Treviri combine harvester described by Pliny the Elder and documented by sculptures (mostly in Ath and Arlon, Belgium) seems not to have been in much use outside of the northern gaul region. Their generalization alone might help cultivate larger areas.
Three field system... Could well happen, but it seems to first require improvement in plowing. But if you have first a heavy plow followed by a curious guy experimenting... Why not ?

About Voltinius, indeed many of his new lands are in Britain, Dacia and the Hungarian plain and he's interested on improving them, but don't expect wonders from him either. On the other hand there are other people in the Empire who took notice... That's mostly for the update in two weeks though :)

Thanks, I couldn't remember if it was windmills or watermills, a quick look at Wikipedia has the first known windmill-device being invented by Heron of Alexandria whereas watermills go further back. As for the heavy plough, the Romans only had it in 3rd/4th Century so it would be bringing it forward a bit. Either way, I'm looking forward to the next update :).

I don't remember reading about the heavy plough... but as has did mention, of the three field system, but I think that if would be adopted this farm method I guess that will be best to improve the productivity if join to the carruca heavy plough for the new conquest lands (more easy to stimulate their use).
The carruca heavy plough would have been discovered or watched, their use, perhaps for some Romans legionary/centurion (former farmer) and/or by a Roman trader in Germany.

I don't remember reading about the heavy plough... but as has did mention, of the three field system, but I think that if would be adopted this farm method I guess that will be best to improve the productivity if join to the carruca heavy plough for the new conquest lands (more easy to stimulate their use).
The carruca heavy plough would have been discovered or watched, their use, perhaps for some Romans legionary/centurion (former farmer) and/or by a Roman trader in Germany.
The carruca/heavy moldboard plough wasn't actually invented until 1st/2nd Century AD in Han China. It doesn't show up in Germany until 720 AD. Three-field rotation requires more ploughing, it might work without the heavy plough but probably not as efficiently.

The carruca/heavy moldboard plough wasn't actually invented until 1st/2nd Century AD in Han China. It doesn't show up in Germany until 720 AD. Three-field rotation requires more ploughing, it might work without the heavy plough but probably not as efficiently.
The Slavs allegedly had it already in 568

Hecatee

Donor
Here the Romans would need an agronom to discover it all by himself... I got an idea how it might happen, but my issue is that Columnelle is already dead, as is Frontinus, and Gargilius Martialis is not yet born. I'll probably use Hyginus Gromaticus instead, although he's not perfect for my goal : I'm not sure he'd still be alive at this time (his writtings on land-measuring seems to date from the trajanic era, and he's a surveyor not a farmer...)

Alauna Civitas, Caledonia, 15 August 128 CE

Hecatee

Donor
Alauna Civitas, Caledonia, 15 August 128 CE

Thiophorus raised his cup in salutation to David who’d just entered the inn. The old veteran was sitting at a corner table in the settlement’s newest addition, a building he’d had built with his own money and to his own design. He did not want any savage to be able to torch his investment so there was little wood in sight beside the tables and benches. No, the building was all stone and mortar, with a large barrel-vaulted main room on the ground floor and a number of rooms under a tile roof above. A stone stair led to them while a large chimney provided heat and light when the fire was lighted. A number of windows had also been pierced in the wall giving on the courtyard, but none on the wall that faced the military road.

The courtyard itself was made by the inn with it’s back toward the wall, the bathhouse and the stable on each side and a low wall pierced by a large arch that gave on the path leading from the military road to the settlement of Alauna Civitas. A well had been dug in the corner between the bath and the inn, and overall the complex provided the travellers with a rather comfortable place to stay when travelling between the wall’s fortresses. The inhabitants of the village could also benefit from the facilities for some coins or some goods that Thiophorus could sell to his other clients.

David saw the gesture of the veteran and saluted him before heading in his direction. Now the father of three after Esther had given birth to twins in the spring, the man was tired. The villagers had just finished bringing the wheat in the silos, and the harvest was not good. They would probably not starve, but it would be a near thing. Should too much of the stored grain be eaten by rodents or spoil…

“Greetings, David. You seem preoccupied. Allow me to serve you some wine to help you lighten up !” said Thiophorus while making a sign for his slave to bring a cup, before adding : “yes indeed, you certainly seem to need it ! What’s troubling you and why are you coming to me ?”.

David snorted : “As if you were not the head of our community and its most opulent member ! You know my problem, it’s the same as last year. We can’t seem to grow enough grain in this land. Our plow barely makes a dent in the earth and we are now at least a dozen more hungry mouths than we were when the Empire settled us here. We need to find either new ways to grow stuff or new ways to get food.” This said, he took the cup the slave had filed while he spoke and he drank some, before he continued : “thanks for the wine. It is indeed welcome. I worry about the future of Esther and our three children. I don’t want Shimon, Matthias and Solomon to die of hunger in a few years…”

The roman shood his head in agreement. “Indeed, we need to improve things. The locals seems to have the same issues as you, they never tried to improve on their poor methods… You know, I’m a soldier, not a godsdamned farmer, that’s why I’ve had this inn built… Still, when I look at the ground around here I don’t see that many trees, the land does not seem to grow much by itself… Are there not methods to make the land richer ?”

“Oh there are, such as spreading manure on the fields at the right time, but the wind and the rain seem to take it away every time... “

“Ah the wind, don’t tell me about it. That’s why I built the inn this way, with the door to the south and the other buildings on the sides, so that the cold does not blow inside them… Maybe that’s what you should do, built wall that would help retain the fertile ground and the manure…”

“I’m not sure it’d be enough… and beside, wall for all our fields ? That would take ages to build, even using the stones found in the fields themselves…” David sipped some more wine. “Although we could plant edges, they would provide a bit of small wood and cut the wind, at least if they manage to grow…”

Thiophorus nodded. “Yes, it seems like it could work, but it would take some time… Although I know that in Italy many farms and domain do have both vallum and ditch around their fields, with threes and hedges growing on the vallum… Might be for the same reason. I also wonder… I’ve seen the gardens of some rich peoples during my travels, and sometime they made… how can I name them… flower beds ? They had those elevated stone beds upon which they grew their flowers. I’d asked a villicus once, he’d told me it was because the bed was hollow, and the earth was softer and more fertile than basic ground. You could not do it for wheat or cereals, of course, but you could try some for vegetables. It could help you grow more of them, thus making you less reliant on cereals.”

“We could build some, yes. And maybe if we make them high enough we won’t have to lower ourself to the ground to take the vegetables out of the ground, that would save some efforts on our back ! I’ll discuss it with the others. But maybe you could ask some of your other friends if they’ve seen other things being done in other villages to improve the situation or if they know of something that could help ?”

“Sure David, sure. I’ll do it. In fact I may even ask some officers when they stop here, because they often have some ideas we grunt don’t…”

Small agricultural improvement? Nice! Though when the said they couldn't make a dent with their plows, my first thought was "Heavier Plows"

Hecatee

Donor
Small agricultural improvement? Nice! Though when the said they couldn't make a dent with their plows, my first thought was "Heavier Plows"
Indeed that's an idea they will ultimately stumble upon, but right now they think more of "how can I work better" instead of "what better tools can I use". One guy comes from semi-arid Israël region to Scotland, while the other is only a former soldier who's not the brightest light in this kind of the world and has little practical agricultural experience. But once he (and others in the region) begin to talk with people higher in the food chain and with more knowledge, such as rich owners of agricultural domains who've read some agronomic texts, or when they begin to talk with people with other skill sets such as a smith, they might have the right idea... But the heavier plow is not all, they will also have to rethink how they attach the plow to the plowing animals...

Actually if I'm not mistaken Pre-Roman Iron age Celts and Picts sometimes lived in houses that were on stilts over ponds, lakes, or rivers right? Is it possible someone will attempt something like aquaculture or just have more intensive river fishing with better traps and such?

I would think many people would at least think about digging some ponds given that they would be a good water source as well as that they would probably be more productive than grain fields with their current technology.

Given the massive water engineering the Romans are accustomed to what with Aqueducts and sewers it wouldn't be too unrealistic. And having large water sources around a settlement (imagine a thick 'C' shaped lake around a town confining it in all but one side) would be useful for defense and small scale irrigation (though that wouldn't really be a problem in scotland or any of Britain really).

digging a small irrigation canal to the nearest river or stream shouldn't be hard.

Also why did your Inn owner build it out of stone when I assume fired clay brick is available?

EDIT: Could state sponsored Piracy along the Indian Ocean and Caspian Sea be viable? I would imagine many riches could be attained in Arabia given all the Roman money for Incense there is there. Or maybe March a Legion down from Arabia Petrea down along the Arabian coast to instate a King into one of the petty Kingdoms near the Gulf of Aden who could become a client state that gives Rome a Tribute may Yield results.

Last edited:

Hecatee

Donor
there are indeed lacustre villages, the most well known are in Switzerland, but as far as I know they are about half a millenium earlier and I've only ever heard of them on the european mainland, not in the islands. The populations of the villages implented in northern britannia in this tl are really sort of stone built villa pars rustica without the pars urbana, under semi-military management : I don't see any of them evolving toward something that radical, especially because they might have issues getting the right kind of wood for that kind of buildings.

about ponds and aquaculture, that might be a better idea, but in roman time and as far as i know this was a technology rather reserved to rich villas such as those on the bay of Naples, although the medieval monastery show you could set some almost everywhere.

about using lakes/ponds as defense, it could also be seen as disease inducing, and the stone buildings of the settlements are already built with defense in mind, even if they are civilian settlements. Of course later they may grow, but they are built in a more planned and organized way than the civilian settlements next to the military camps, and will stay so for a time.

about the inn, stone is used because the brick industry has not been developped yet and stone is cheap and availlable. Also I don't remember much bricks material being found in the Hadrian (or Antonine for that matter) wall's area, thus the use of stone.

about piracy, it would go against roman interest : they are the one who own the large trade ships of the area, so pirates might well attack them, and if they pick on more local trade the locals might build defense fleets that would then be a threat to Rome.

about Arabia, they don't need a tribute as long as the roman traders can get the products and the state can get its 25% tax on import duties, marching a legion down would cost more than it is worth. beside we know that there were roman guarisons at Hegra, in northern Saudi Arabia (epigraphy of a cohort or vexillatione, I don't remember which, has been found and dates from the mid 2nd AD if I remember correctly) so there might already have been others we don't know about :)

Domus Caesari, palatine hill, Rome, 13 october 128 CE

Hecatee

Donor
Domus Caesari, palatine hill, Rome, 13 october 128 CE

Suetonius was in his office, seated behind a massive desk covered with stacks of papyri. In front of him were two senators, the 41 years old former praetor Arrianus and the 55 years old proconsul Lucius Catilius Severus. Both wore their best toga as they knew there was a chance this meeting with the ab epistulis might lead to a meeting with the emperor himself, who was in town for the upcoming october’s horse celebration on the ides.

“So we are agreed then, on the need to create a corp of imperial military engineers separate from the men of the legions, and dedicated to the planning and the supervision of new fortifications, repairs and research on how to improve existing defenses all around the empire ?” asked the imperial secretary.

Catilius Severus answered him : “Indeed we are, a corp based in its own barracks in Rome but with detachments all around the Empire coming back to Rome on a regular basis to learn of new developments and to tell the others of the different conditions to be found in various terrains, so that the engineers can go to all corners of the Empire.”

Arrianus added : “In fact this would be a bit like what the tyrant Dionysius of Sicily did in the time of Agesilaos and Xenophon, but on a larger scale made for empire and with competences others than simply making war machines. Our engineers will build walls, towers, citadels, but also aqueducts, baths and sewers, among others. Doing it close to the borders will reassure colonists that will want to exploit the new lands or settle in territories that had been insecure until now. And while the engineers would be paid by the imperial treasures, most of the cities’ improvements will be paid by the local wellborn or by senatorial patrons looking to secure their investments in the region.”

Suetonius nodded. This was indeed in agreement with the emperor’s wishes. Already orders had been sent to the legions, which were to send centurions experienced in the art of building to Rome, forming a first cadre of around sixty men to be housed in one of the imperial residence on the outskirts of Rome. Despite Hadrian’s dislike the elderly architect Apollodorus of Damas had been set in charge of the school alongside Quintus Baebius Novalis, a prefect of the fabri which had been promoted on the insistence of the caesar Voltinius for his actions during the recent conflict. He would be the military leader of the school while Apollodorus and his aides would spend their time collecting plans, evaluating them and improving their designs before sending them to the provinces to serve as template for the detached engineers.

The secretary looked toward Arrianus : “Now, to the second point of order. Arrianus, you know that you are going to be suffect consul in a few months, before being given a proconsular mandate to the province of Pannonia Inferior, or Pannonia Orientalis, or Iazygia as some call it.” At this the secretary shook his head before speaking again : “You won’t be governor of the province but will have imperium and your own forces outside of the control of the governor. He’ll have enough work to do controlling the Tisia and building the new Limes with the IV Flavia Felix and the VII Claudia. You will thus be in charge of organizing and securing the interior of the province, using a force of four quingenaria auxiliary cohors , including two mounted ones, and a cavalry ala milliaria. You’ll have to build roads and civilian settlements through the province, while guaranteeing their safety. I know it's traditionally a legion's task and there will be grumbling from your men, still it must be done. Your main challenge will be the size of the province, which means we cannot use the usual tactics to secure it. The land is great for cavalry though, a specialty of yours. You are to experiment with your units to find a good way to balance between infantry and cavalry, fixed positions and roving patrols. The commander of your ala is a recently promoted man, Culsus Atedumius, son of Eraviscus. He’s risen through the ranks and has just been given his early citizenship alongside his equestrian rank. While new to his post, promoted due to battle losses, he has proved himself to be a great innovator during the recent war, which was a factor in his promotion. While a bit young for the post and lacking the right connexions, he still managed to impress others enough to be granted the rank.”

Arrianus’ left eyebrow rose slightly. Indeed such a promotion in such circumstances was no mean feat. Either losses had been more important than what he’d heard or the man was really exceptional. Suetonius began again : “You’ll have a large treasury, 10 million sestertii, beside the regular pay of your men. The Emperor’s betting a lot on you, especially with the treasury in the state it currently is. There is good hope that this investment will allow you to develop the economy of your province and will also help sustain the provinces of the former border, which have seen a decline in revenues since the war due to the fact so many soldiers are now further north. Let me be frank, senator : you’d better not fail as their would be no way to regain the imperial trust… After all you are an homo novus and that has made you a number of enemies in the Senate, so your are… expendable.”

Nice update! i really like the way you have started the first teaching school! or if you squint a bit university with a practical curriculum!!!!

Hecatee

Donor
Nice update! i really like the way you have started the first teaching school! or if you squint a bit university with a practical curriculum!!!!
Thanks. That's indeed a bit of the reasoning behind the new institution, but also note that it's not the most innovation-geared institution : we're talking about a place to share experience and train a pool of practitioners, under military discipline. It's not a research friendly environnement, although some individuals may bring some innovations. Its two first director is, on the civilian kind, the architect of Trajan's success in architecture (bridge over the Danube, Trajan's forum) but he is old and despised by the current emperor and thus lacks support. On the military side it's Baebius Novalis, a pure legion man who rose through the ranks. He worked a lot in the mining industry in Spain (as it is a legionary-supervised business) and like mechanization, but once more he's no inventor.

For those looking behind the words of the last few updates you see that after military consolidation I'm now trying to help with information and knowledge distribution in the empire, to help improve the economy and offer new opportunities to the Empire. Of course not everything goes smoothly and disturbances will still happen, as will be seen in next week's update.

I wonder if the Romans had any conception of lotteries. People like to Gamble and having a lottery could gain quite a bit of money I'd think. Romans had some Gambling practices going on so I suppose it's not impossible to have one.

Hecatee

Donor
I wonder if the Romans had any conception of lotteries. People like to Gamble and having a lottery could gain quite a bit of money I'd think. Romans had some Gambling practices going on so I suppose it's not impossible to have one.
Not as far as I know. Betting yes, but pure lotteries no, especially as it would be somewhat at odd with their religion. From what I gather Fortuna was a goddess that helped those in action, not really those just waiting for something to happen (fortune favours the brave is a latin saying after all :) )

Not as far as I know. Betting yes, but pure lotteries no, especially as it would be somewhat at odd with their religion. From what I gather Fortuna was a goddess that helped those in action, not really those just waiting for something to happen (fortune favours the brave is a latin saying after all :) )
They had dice games though, very popular. Thus the quote :p perhaps a gigantic dice game could be organised

True but I don't really see it as an insult to fortuna though.

about using lakes/ponds as defense, it could also be seen as disease inducing

Worked pretty well for Motte and Bailey forts in the middle ages

about the inn, stone is used because the brick industry has not been developped yet and stone is cheap and availlable.

If I'm not mistaken the Legions would have brick making equipment on them when they traveled around most of the time. It also doesn't take much effort to make them either, if you're going to be making kilns for Lime mortar then making ones for brick would seem logical especially for the Romans given they used clay brick extensively. It's also good for insulation unlike stone.

They had dice games though, very popular. Thus the quote :p perhaps a gigantic dice game could be organised

Ha, sounds like something the MC in your Rome ISOT TL could do. Open a Casino and make money :cool:.

Though lotteries are cheap and easy so that sounds like something he could do with little effort.

Ha, sounds like something the MC in your Rome ISOT TL could do. Open a Casino and make money :cool:.

Though lotteries are cheap and easy so that sounds like something he could do with little effort.

Indeed :p I actually had written such a chapter, but then I had ideas. One might say I suffer from having too much imagination. No writer's block here :) Thus it has been postponed for a couple of chapters.

Too many things to choose from.

Last edited:

Hecatee

Donor
Indeed :p I actually had written such a chapter, but then I had ideas. One might say I suffer from having too much imagination. No writer's block here :) Thus it has been postponed for a couple of chapters.

Too many things to chrome from.

One issue with loterie would be, according to me, the weight of the coin... Loterie with coins is not as easy as loterie with notes, and paper notes are still a thing of the future...

One issue with loterie would be, according to me, the weight of the coin... Loterie with coins is not as easy as loterie with notes, and paper notes are still a thing of the future...

Well, actually they had "credit cards" of a kind back then too. In a very limited fashion ofc.
But yeah, that would be a problem. Perhaps chips could be used instead of money