Hadrian's Consolidation - reboot

Do you guys believe this succession system for the imperial throne is feasible? I can't see a successful roman emperor don't trying to have his son/nephew/grandson/brother succeed him.

I do think that perhaps any possible succession crisis were glossed over or ignored if there were any children of emperors. However, there were emperors who had adopted instead of thier natural heirs becoming emperor. Look at Tiberius, before Germanjcus died he was hier to the empire not tiberius natural son. And the same goes for Claudius Nero and Britannicus.

So it is very possible that this could become a viable succession plan especially since hadrian made it law. This would also decrease the alienation of the senate as it was possible that one of their family could become emperor.

The republican system had more inertia than this sucession institution and Caesar and Augustus ended it.
That happened after most than half a century of constant civil wars though. And even then republican traditions and institutions persisted for quite a while inside the early empire.

Hecatee

Donor
I'm back from Portugal, actually I came just ahead of the Covid-19 induced closure of archeological sites and museums and was thus able to spend some time visiting Lisbon, Evora and Sintra, the pictures will be uploaded on my Flickr in the coming days, in the meantime you can still escape your confinment by travelling in my footsteps with around 60 000 pictures of sites and museum of the Empire at https://www.flickr.com/photos/bryaxis/albums or simply read the next update I will now post :)

Maktaris, Africa Proconsularis, July 260

Hecatee

Donor
Maktaris, Africa Proconsularis, July 260

I was born from a poor family and to a father of meagre means

who had neither municipal wealth nor his own house.

From these beginnings by birth, I lived by cultivating the soil.

Never was there any rest for me or my land.

When each year produced the ripening crops, then

I was the first harvester out to cut the stalks

When our sickle-bearing band of men marched out to the fields,

whether to seek the nomad plains of Cirta or those of Jupiter.

Before everyone else, I was the first harvester into the fields,

leaving the land behind my back thick with sheaves.

I reaped twelve harvests beneath the raging fire of the sun.

Then I rose from field-hand and became a foreman.

For eleven years I led the bands of harvesters,

and my gang cut the fields of Numidia.

This work and life was good to a man of small means.

It made me the owner of a house and provided a farm

The house itself does not lack for any luxuries.

And now what I spent so much time doing in my youth

Separating the grain from the chaff, turning it into flour

All this I have machines to do in my stead.

And my life has reaped a harvest of honours:

I was registered in the ranks of the town’s senators.

Chosen by them, I too sat in the council's holy chamber.

From being a poor peasant, I even rose to be the pagus magistrate and censor.

I fathered, and lived to see my sons and my dear grandsons,

And to see them prosper in their own right and become my equals in the council

I have passed the bright years of my life as I have deserved,

years that no savage tongue can harm with blame.

Learn, mortals, to live a life free of wrongdoing.

He deserved to die thus, he who lived a life free of deceit.

--

This is an actual inscription found in Maktaris, Tunisia, to which I did add 4 lines and 3 words, the original is now at the Louvres in Paris

makhtar.jpg

Last edited:

SuperZtar64

Banned
Evidence of inclusive institutions spreading throughout the empire! Woohoo!

This unprecedented era of stability, along with a blessing of forward-thinking leaders, along with Rome's tradition of representative government (by AD 260 standards, anyway), have all resulted in a burst of advancement I wouldn't have otherwise considered possible.

As communication technology improves, the Empire will only have an easier and easier time keeping itself together... if it can survive the inevitable political and social upheavals caused by such inclusive institutions and the rise of a bourgeois class in opposition to the old aristocracy, that is.

The trials of Roman civilization may seem far behind the empire, what with the conquest of Germania, securing of defensible borders, rapid technological advancement and the stability of the imperial succession until now, but alas!- it's trials are only just beginning.

Hecatee

Donor
Evidence of inclusive institutions spreading throughout the empire! Woohoo!

This unprecedented era of stability, along with a blessing of forward-thinking leaders, along with Rome's tradition of representative government (by AD 260 standards, anyway), have all resulted in a burst of advancement I wouldn't have otherwise considered possible.

As communication technology improves, the Empire will only have an easier and easier time keeping itself together... if it can survive the inevitable political and social upheavals caused by such inclusive institutions and the rise of a bourgeois class in opposition to the old aristocracy, that is.

The trials of Roman civilization may seem far behind the empire, what with the conquest of Germania, securing of defensible borders, rapid technological advancement and the stability of the imperial succession until now, but alas!- it's trials are only just beginning.
Note that it is an historical text that I only slighlty modified, so this social evolution did happen OTL in the Africa province in the third century, but yes there is no talk of steam engine in OTL :)

Now I must confess I hesitate deeply right now between two possibilities : either finish the story with this inscription, which would be fitting as it is in many ways a proper conclusion showing that the more things change the less things change, or go to another era in the timeline, one or two centuries later, to deal with the class conflict which is truly the only thing that can cause troubles to Rome right now, with no enemy in sight able to really cause it troubles. Even the steppe tribes are unable to invade Rome, and beside they've got a rather healthy respect for the empire's defense following the recent failed Parthian invasion, and demography does not really grant them sufficient strenght to overwhelm the defenses of Rome in any meaningful way, after all even the Danube and the Rhine are no longer the borders of the Empire so there is a second line of defense which can be mobilized thanks to very fast communication...

What do you all say ? Should I finish before it gets too long (my master file is more than 300 pages long after all...) and look for a new timeline or should I keep going ?

If it 's a case of rinse repeat for Roman emperors slowly climbing the technological curve then it's interesting to see how things could fit together but ultimately it's a Roman
-wank. Now those kind of stories are fun for a while but ultimately have no end.

Why not fast forward at one post per Emperor (a kind of Encylopedia Romanicus entry) until you get to a critical social or political event? With the aim of continuing until Rome has fallen (heresy) or we approach modern day?

If it 's a case of rinse repeat for Roman emperors slowly climbing the technological curve then it's interesting to see how things could fit together but ultimately it's a Roman
-wank. Now those kind of stories are fun for a while but ultimately have no end.

Why not fast forward at one post per Emperor (a kind of Encylopedia Romanicus entry) until you get to a critical social or political event? With the aim of continuing until Rome has fallen (heresy) or we approach modern day?
I approve!!! Let's do it!!!

What do you all say ? Should I finish before it gets too long (my master file is more than 300 pages long after all...) and look for a new timeline or should I keep going ?
I think all of us would continue reading as long as you continue posting, but I understand that stories do come to an end, and I doubt anyone would begrudge you for saying that you've reached a good place to leave this story.

I'm not a fan of "it's due for a civil war" generally, but I think that you've set the stage for a reckoning as far as the Equites are concerned: they're powerful, they're wealthy, but they are excluded from decision making.

EDIT: To expand my point a bit, you've set up a scenario reminiscent of old upheavals like those between Patricians and Plebs first, then Citizens and Socii later. You've also hinted at some ad hoc remedies that point to how it could be solved without a war (to be honest, I think an actual war over it is unlikely, as Equites have more soft power than hard power) such as offices and privileges exclusively for them, but I think that ultimately this will change the way the Empire functions politically.

Last edited:
Definitely keep going. I love this timeline to hell and back.

If you are losing interest however or feel it has run its course then a speed up as some suggested where you only cover major events and a bird's eye view could be nice. At the very least we need an epilogue to see where this juggernaut you made ends up by the time they have PCs ;)

I for one can't wait to see the reaction to the discovery of the Americas, exploration of furthermost Africa, establishment of colonies in and around South-East Asia and Roman political meddling around the world. And ofc reactions to other amazing tech yet to come like internal combustion, planes, rockets, telephones, advanced medicine, nuclear power, etc, etc.

if you are starting to lose intrest then stop and try something new if not keep on rolling unless you feel like story has come to a natural end