• Warships

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Blue Crabs

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Fire

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
August 6, 1992: The NHL announces their Heritage Series and Winter Classic Matchups. The Winter Classic, this year in Wrigley Field, will be between the Blackhawks and the LA Kings. The Heritage Series will take place in Lambeau Field, with the home team being the Milwaukee Admirals, and the away team will be the Hartford Whalers.

August 8, 1992: The Cubs meet the Cardinals in a big doubleheader at Wrigley Field. In the first game, Greg Maddux throws 11.1 innings of no-hit ball before Ozzie Smith hits a home run into center. It wouldn't matter, as Alex Arias hit a two run homer onto Waveland Avenue to win 2-1 and put the Cubs up 4.5 in the NL East. The Pirates lost to the Phillies and the Expos lost to the Braves, so the Cubs could go up by 6 in the division. This game featured yet another wild ending. The Cubs were down 4-0 in the 9th with Bob Tewksbury pitching. Ryne Sandberg then hit a grand slam with two outs that went an estimated 498 feet. Sammy Sosa then hit a double, and the hero of the previous game, Alex Arias, came up to bat. He hit a little dribbler that was fielded by Tewksbury. However, first baseman Ozzie Canseco, identical twin of Jose Canseco, slipped running to cover the bag. Tewksbury then lunged for Arias who leaped over Tewksbury's glove and hit the bag. Tewksbury argued with First Base umpire Joe West, saying he tagged Arias. However, he Tewksbury never called time. Sammy Sosa, noticing this, took off for home. Tewksbury finally realized and wheeled it to catcher Tom Pagnozzi. Sosa slid and avoided the tag, and he was called safe, winning the game for the Cubs.

R.png
CARDS.png
BUCCOS.png
EXPOS.png
PHILS.png

August 8, 1992: The Cubs meet the Cardinals in a big doubleheader at Wrigley Field. In the first game, Greg Maddux throws 11.1 innings of no-hit ball before Ozzie Smith hits a home run into center. It wouldn't matter, as Alex Arias hit a two run homer onto Waveland Avenue to win 2-1 and put the Cubs up 4.5 in the NL East. The Pirates lost to the Phillies and the Expos lost to the Braves, so the Cubs could go up by 6 in the division. This game featured yet another wild ending. The Cubs were down 4-0 in the 9th with Bob Tewksbury pitching. Ryne Sandberg then hit a grand slam with two outs that went an estimated 498 feet. Sammy Sosa then hit a double, and the hero of the previous game, Alex Arias, came up to bat. He hit a little dribbler that was fielded by Tewksbury. However, first baseman Ozzie Canseco, identical twin of Jose Canseco, slipped running to cover the bag. Tewksbury then lunged for Arias who leaped over Tewksbury's glove and hit the bag. Tewksbury argued with First Base umpire Joe West, saying he tagged Arias. However, he Tewksbury never called time. Sammy Sosa, noticing this, took off for home. Tewksbury finally realized and wheeled it to catcher Tom Pagnozzi. Sosa slid and avoided the tag, and he was called safe, winning the game for the Cubs.

View attachment 696127 View attachment 696128 View attachment 696129 View attachment 696130 View attachment 696133

Wait a damn minute. Did the Braves send Maddux back to the Cubs? And what the hell did the Cubs give up for an MVP/Cy Young winner?

NCAA Basketball Schedule news
August 10, 1992: The NCAA reveals the matchups for the Big Six Matchups. The games will be on November 19, 20, and 21, with three games being in Madison Square Garden in New York, and the other three in The Summit in Houston. November 19 games will be (1) Michigan Vs. (5) Kansas in the Garden, and (7) Duke Vs. (9) Seton Hall in The Summit. November 20 games will feature (3) Kentucky Vs. (2) Oklahoma State in the Garden, while The Summit will feature a matchup between (8) North Carolina Vs. (18) Umass. To cap it off, November 21 will be the date of (10) Indiana Vs. (6) Arizona, that matchup in MSG, and (4) Syracuse Vs. (16) UNLV meeting in The Summit.

August 11, 1992: With Columbus and Louisville still the front-runners to land the Toronto Towers, a third bid from the Raleigh-Durham area of North Carolina has emerged, led by Charlotte Hornets owner George Shinn that would move the Towers to the research Triangle.

Wait, how did he get to the Cubs? I probably missed it, but how does that happen? And what did the Braves get?
He was on the Cubs when the TL started, and I don't recall anybody making a post about him leaving. I might have missed something, but I could have sworn that Maddux stayed on the Cubs.

MLB Records abound
August 13, 1992: Tigers pitcher Bill Gullickson throws a perfect game in Tigers Stadium against the Kansas City Royals. Mike Morgan of the Cubs throws a no-hitter against the Astros, and the Brewers Chris Bosio throws a no-hitter against the Indians. Fred McGriff might outdo that, as he hit a new MLB record 5 home runs in a game against the Giants, a 17-4 win.

kansas_city_royals.jpg
1584302.jpg
b4f1df205088db958f96ec66a67fd9f2.jpeg
61-618762_houston-astros-logo-transparent.jpg
43fbcfb41a5ae068a0d0142880d55308.gif
images (6).png
aca0281144a2cddaca40ca53f548c6d8.jpg
us@b-gia8.gif

He was on the Cubs when the TL started, and I don't recall anybody making a post about him leaving. I might have missed something, but I could have sworn that Maddux stayed on the Cubs.

Hmph. I looked back thanks to the handy-dandy search function here and it looks like I completely misread the perfect games. I thought he pitched the first perfecto AGAINST the Cubs, not FOR them.

It works out anyway; the Braves have enough pitchers.

August 15, 1992: Disaster strikes in Montreal as a bomb was exploded inside of the Montreal Canadians' stadium, which then caught on fire. Estimates say that 83% of the stadium was destroyed. City officials estimate it will take millions of dollars to repair everything that was destroyed. Construction workers say that it will take one or two years to fix all of the damage

August 16 1992
The Quebec Nordiques have offered up their stadium as a temporary home for the Canadians in a discussion with Canadians ownership and the NHL.

August 15, 1992: Disaster strikes in Montreal as a bomb was exploded inside of the Montreal Canadians' stadium, which then caught on fire. Estimates say that 83% of the stadium was destroyed. City officials estimate it will take millions of dollars to repair everything that was destroyed. Construction workers say that it will take one or two years to fix all of the damage

Shit. Wonder who did it (or if anything like this could have happened OTL) but praise DOYC it wasn’t during hockey season and it’s unlikely people were hurt.