Family Trees from My WIs

"After the death of Emperor Louis the Bavarian, it seemed to many as if a repeat of Louis' own election in 1314 would take place. The Wittelsbachs versus the Luxembourgs in another round of this dance. But this is an oversimplification of the events that took place. Even more than it is of the personalities.

"There was no single Wittelsbach "party" in the election. Just like the fact that your relation to the last emperor didn't mean you would automatically vote for the Wittelsbachs.

"The most obvious of these was Rupert II of the Palatinate. He was tied into the Wittelsbach Imperial network in several ways. His father was Adolf of the Palatinate, an older nephew of the late emperor, and a grandson of anti-king Adolf of Nassau. The Palatine Wittelsbachs nursed a grievance against their imperial cousins for usurping their inheritance. Rupert II's father, Adolph the Honest, had died fighting for his "fair share" in the Wittelsbach inheritance, leaving a two year old son under the regency of his pro-Habsburg uncle, Rudolph the Blind.

"The main Wittelsbach candidate in 1347 was naturally the deceased emperor's olddest son, Louis, Count of Tirol by marriage and former margrave of Brandenburg. He was supported by many of those who had benefitted from the Wittelsbach rule. These included his brother-in-law, Frederick of Meissen, and his son-in-law (who by a bizarre twist was also his wife's ex-husband), Johann Heinrich, Margrave of Brandenburg.

"A second Wittelsbach "splinter party" was headed by Rupert of the Palatinate who sponsored the candidacy of his in-law, Louis' surviving full brother, Stephen. Many dismiss Rupert's support as being simply the product of there being no Habsburg candidate available: Frederick the Handsome, Louis the Bavarian's "co-emperor" until his death1330, had left no son; nor had his late brother, Otto the Merry, whose son, once engaged to the king of England's daughter, had died in December 1344. Thus Albert the Lame ruled the entirety of the Habsburg lands. But since he supported Louis of Tirol, he was no use to Rupert's goal. However, in Rupert's sponsoring of his in-law one can see a finer hand at work. Rupert knew his own candidacy was not likely to raise objections from the Bavarian supporters, and so, he shrewdly backed his brother-in-law (Stephen and Rudolph the Blind were both married to Sicilian princesses, daughters of Frederick II of Sicily, while Rupert was married to Frederick's granddaughter).

"Finally the third of the Wittelsbach parties emerged. This was formed by Dowager Empress Margaret, Countess of Holland and Hainaut in her own right and stepmother to the aforementioned Louis and Stephen. Her oldest son was still shy of his majority, but had been married to the king of Poland, Casimir the Great's daughter since 1345. The girl was only twelve years old, so a child any time soon would be unlikely. Ergo, Margaret did the next best thing. She found a candidate who would ensure that the real power in Germany remained in her hands, and who would have no problem passing the power to her eldest son (confusingly also called Louis) when the tine came: her brother-in-law, Edward III of England.

"With all these internal divisions dividing the Wittelsbach support, it's hardly any surprise that none of them were elected emperor. Edward III's candidacy was, at first, successful, but he quickly realized how untenable the situation was, and resigned after eleven days. His war with France also made the German princes uneasy about being dragged into it if he were to be elected. Louis of Bavaria, Count of Tirol, was known to be rather friendly with Denmark and his aggression in the name of his one-time brother-in-law, Waldemar Atterdag, as well as his own policies both in Pomerania and Tirol didn't inspire confidence in those princes whose lands bordered on his. Even if he had - via Albert the Lame - papal endorsement of his candidacy. Thus, the princes elected the king of Bohemia: Charles Wenceslas." - Johann Jakob Gottfried Oberholzer, The Power and the Politics of 14th Century Germany (1992)
Does this idea sound plausible or would the election go to Ludwig V (who OTL had only the backing of Albrecht of Austria, not the pope).

And how much of a "blow" might it have been to the Luxemburg party if the father of Jan the Blind's only grandson (at this moment) were to side with the Wittelsbachs?

So would you say Lajos should just not meet Elisabeth (in which case, who'd be his second wife?)?
How does this sound, Lajos' first wife lives a bit longer than OTL, i.e. Elisabeth of Bosnia is married to Stepan Uros V of Serbia by the time Lajos is left a widower.

I was GOING to suggest Lajos simply marry the OTL duchess of Slavonia (Margarethe of Bavaria), until I checked the dates and found Margarethe married Istvan in Jan uary 1350, which means that likely some sort of "swap" WAS attempted OTL (since Lajos' first wife died in October 1349).

Any suggestions for a different wife?

@Jan Olbracht @Zygmunt Stary @Fehérvári @Monter @SealTheRealDeal

Based on my John of Gaunt dies in 1377 thread:

Constance, Queen of Castile (b.1354) 1m: 1371 John, Duke of Lancaster (1340-1377); 2m: 1378 John Holland, 1e Earl of Huntingdon [1] (b.1352)

[1m.] Katherine (b.1373)​
[1m.] John (1374-1375)​
[2m.] Constance (b.1378)​
[2m.] John (1380-1383)​
[2m.] Richard, 2e Earl of Huntingdon (b.1383)​
[2m.] Anne (b.1385)​

[1] my "reasoning" here is that Constance will remarry. Just because Gaunt is dead doesn't mean his enemies - such as they were - are gone. In all likelihood, they're emboldened by the fact that she's a young widow with an underage stepson. She needs a "strong"/"powerful" husband. Since all the remaining royal dukes are either already spoken for, the half-brother of the new king, Richard II, makes a decent choice. Not only is John Holland the king's half-brother, but he's also "low" enough that he could be "rewarded" with the wardship of Henry of Bolingbroke without causing a ruckus.

@RedKing @CaptainShadow @The Professor @VVD0D95 @Carolus @Ivan Lupo @Kurt_Steiner @Jan Olbracht

My latest offering (same world as Lorraine-Luxemburg, Brabant-Loon). My thanks to @Zulfurium (who I've been bouncing this idea off for...quite a while):

Thoughts, comments and criticisms welcome

@Jan Olbracht @Zygmunt Stary @isabella @everyone else

Building on this (please help @Jan Olbracht @Zygmunt Stary ):

Elisabeth of Bavaria-Brandenburg [1] (1328-1363) m: 1342 Johann Heinrich, Margrave of Brandenburg (1322-1375)

Ludwig II, Elector of Brandenburg [1375-1379] (1344-1379) 1m: 1362 Anna of Mecklenburg (1343-1364); 2m: 1366 Mathilde of Brunswick-Lüneburg[2] (1345-1410)​
[1m.] Johann (1363)​
[1m.] Anna (1364-1422) m: ?​
[2m.] Karl I, Elector of Brandenburg [1379-1412], Prince of Lüneburg [1369-1379] (1368-1412) 1m: 1388 Katharina of Schwerin[3] (1370-1400); 2m: 1401 Sophie of Holstein (1375-1448)​
[1m.] Karl II, Elector of Brandenburg [1412-1450] (1391-1450) m: ?​
[1m.] Elisabeth (1394-1444) m:​
[1m.] Sigmund (1396-1438)​
[1m.] Albrecht (1398)​
[2m.] Anna (1401-1458) m: 1413 Erich II, Duke of Mecklenburg[4] (1398-1442)​
[2m.] Margarethe (1402-1446)​
[2m.] Elisabeth (1370)​
[2m.] Mathilde (1372-1376)​
Elisabeth (1345-1383) m: 1366 Wilhelm I, Margrave of Meißen (1343-1407)​
Margarethe (1346-1410) m: 1366 Otto I, Duke of Holstein-Schauenburg (1330-1404)​
Karl Anton[5] (1347-1396)​
Johann Christoph (1354-1382) m: 1369 Elisabeth of Pomerania (1360-1388)​
Georg (1378-1388)​
Elisabeth (1380-1436) m: 1398 Boguslaw VIII, Duke of Pomerania (1364-1418)​
Sophie (1382-1450) m: 1401 Ulrich, Duke of Mecklenburg-Stargaard (1383-1417)​

[1] Elisabeth” is the daughter some sources mention Ludwig V as having had with his Danish wife. Other sources mention a son named “Matthias” (weird name for the period). Here I went that Ludwig V and his Danish wife had a daughter practically as soon as dad was old enough to get it up.
[2] Widow of Ludwig of Brunswick-Lüneburg (d.1367). This marriage is arranged by Mathilde’s dad who wants Emperor Karl IV to agree to llow his (female-line) grandson to succeed. However, Karl IV agreed to this request, in violation of the Brunswick-Lüneburg Investiture Contract of 1235 which established semi-Salic Law. The Lüneburg War of Succesion (1370-1373) was the result, although technically the war continued until Ludwig II’s death in 1379.
[3] This is OTL Katharina Richardis of Sweden who married the duke of Gorlitz
[4] Son of Erich I, Duke of Mecklenburg, Lord of Gotland and Sophie of Pomerania-Wolgast
[5] maybe goes into the church?

@Zygmunt Stary @Jan Olbracht would Anna of Brandenburg (b.1364) perhaps be married back into the "imperial" line (a first wife of Wenzel of Luxemburg, perhaps) or would she wind up wed to someone else (stupid example being Richard II of England)?

Yeah, I can see her being wife of Wenceslaus IV, as that would secure support of Anna's brother, elector of Brandenburg in imperial election. Do you plan on Wenzel having children with her?

Yeah, I can see her being wife of Wenceslaus IV, as that would secure support of Anna's brother, elector of Brandenburg in imperial election. Do you plan on Wenzel having children with her?
Haven't decided yet. Could be interesting if he does. Where would Wenzel's OTL wives go? Johanna likely winds up in the Netherlands/Rhineland? Or maybe offered as a 3e wife for Jean V of Brittany when Joan de Holland dies in 1379 (TTL)? Johanna would be 17, she was apparently beautiful (my understanding of it was that she was suspected of being unfaithful, which led to Wenzel killed her confessor, St. Jan Nepomuk).

Haven't decided yet. Could be interesting if he does. Where would Wenzel's OTL wives go? Johanna likely winds up in the Netherlands/Rhineland? Or maybe offered as a 3e wife for Jean V of Brittany when Joan de Holland dies in 1379 (TTL)? Johanna would be 17, she was apparently beautiful (my understanding of it was that she was suspected of being unfaithful, which led to Wenzel killed her confessor, St. Jan Nepomuk).

I think she'd most likely end up as a third wife of Jean V of Britanny.

Yeah, but that legend didn't involve Wenzel acting on his own.
what was the actual story, I remember something about someone put a bug in his ear she was being unfaithful, he asked her confessor (St. Jan Nepomuk) who refused to break the seal of the confessional, so he had Jan drowned, then Johanna wound up as dog kibble. But was it just an Anne Boleyn type campaign of whispers?

what was the actual story, I remember something about someone put a bug in his ear she was being unfaithful, he asked her confessor (St. Jan Nepomuk) who refused to break the seal of the confessional, so he had Jan drowned, then Johanna wound up as dog kibble. But was it just an Anne Boleyn type campaign of whispers?

I think the actual story was about dogs accidentally breaking into her bedchamber and killing her and Wenceslaus becoming a drunk as a result of that.

Navarre and Normandy
@isabella @Jan Olbracht @Carolus @RedKing @material_boy @Ivan Lupo @CaptainShadow @VVD0D95 @The Professor @Zygmunt Stary @Zulfurium @Brita @FouDuRoy

Couple of questions regarding this tree (and the Berri/Breton ones attached to it):

Looking for matches for the following people:

Catherine and Isabeau de Valois (sisters of TTL Charles VII). One of them is likely to be married in Castile, but that still leaves the other (OTL Catherine de Valois I'm considering as either wife of James I of Scotland or an alt-son of his older brother)
Maria of Navarre (sister to TTL Charles VII's wife)
Marie of Burgundy (sister of Jean sans Peur, OTL countess of Savoy, since her place has been taken by Jeanne de Valois)
Philippe the Good of Burgundy needs a second wife (Jacqueline of Holland is already spoken for, unfortunately), and his daughters need husbands

Carlos II ‘el Malo’, King of Navarre [1349-1387] (1332-1387) m: 1352 Jeanne de Valois (1343-1373)

Maria (1360-1400) m:​
Carlos, Prince of Viana (1361-1382[1]) m: 1375 Catalina of Castile[2] (b.1361)​
Bona (1364-1389)​
Pedro ‘el Prudente’, King of Navarre [1387-1428], Duc de Normandie[3] [1419-1428] Comte de Gien et d’Étampes [1400-1428], Comte d’Évreux [1387-1428], Comte de Mortain [1376-1378; 1401-1412], (1366-1428) m: 1381 Marie de Coucy (1366-1422)​
Pedro, Prince of Viana (1387-1413[4]) m: 1402 Isabeau de Valois[5] (1389-1441)​
Isabel, Queen of Navarre (1406-1458) m: 1419 Charles VII, King of France (1405-1445)​
Issue​
Pedro, Prince of Viana (1410-1415)​
Maria (1412-1468) m: 1422 Carlo IV, King of Naples[6] (1406-1451)​
Issue​
Isabelle (1390-1439) m: 1402 Gaston V, Comte de Foix et de Bigorre, Vicomte de Béarn[7] (1385-1433)​
Jeanne (1392-1414)​
Charles, Duc de Normandie [as Charles II, 1428-1435] Comte de Gien, d’Étampes, d’Évreux et Mortain (1394-1435) m: 1410 Bonne d’Artois, Comtesse d’Eu[8] (1395-1451)​
Marie (1416-1470) m: ?​
Pierre (1418-1422)​
Charles III, Duc de Normandie (1420-1472) m: ?​
Enguerrand (1397)​
Catherine (1398-1456) m: 1415 Duarte I, King of Portugal[9] (1391-1438)​
Felipe (1368)​
Juana (1370-1437) m: ?​
Blanca (1372-1385) m: ?​

[1] Killed in the battle of Mont-de-Marsan against Armagnac forces
[2] Daughter of Pedro I of Castile and Blanche of Navarre
[3] Pedro managed to get his lands in Normandie bumped up to a duchy, as well as make it part of his granddaughter’s marriage contract that the various holdings he had acquired in Normandy were to pass to his younger son rather than revert to the crown. Call it the price of his loyalty. Last thing France or England wants is him to offer Isabel’s hand (with those lands attached) to Aragon or Brittany.
[4] The Burgundian/Armagnac War of OTL ends up being a far more brutal affair thanks to, how, instead of killing the duc d’Orléans, the assassins merely wounded him severely. But did manage to kill his son (Charles le Poete) who was accompanying him. Orléans is out for blood once he recovers and the period gets summed up by later historians as “pick a side or run and hide”. The Prince of Viana ends up getting wounded (his leg having to be amputated as a result) and later dying of injuries received fighting the Orléanists.
[5] Isabeau’s governess/mistress of the robes (under Richard II) was Philippa de Coucy. So a Navarrese match for Isabeau is not as weird as it sounds.
[6] Son of Louis III d’Anjou (b.1390) – the son of Louis II d’Anjou and Giovanna II of Naples (Ladislao is stillborn) – and Yolande of Aragon.
[7] Son of Gaston IV and Béatrice d’Armagnac (he poisons his dad – accidentally – and thus avoids his own OTL death). Since Béatrice’s brothers both die at Mont-de-Marsan, the Armagnac and Foix titles are combined.
[8] Only child of Philippe d’Artois, Comte d’Eu and his wife, Bonne of Burgundy (1379-1399).
[9] This match doesn’t seem to make much sense, but it was prompted by the fact that the future Isabel I of Navarre was slated to marry her cousin, TTL Charles VII; while Charles VII’s sister is betrothed to the future king of Castile. Portugal wants an English match, and there is talk of Charles VII’s mother being offered to Duarte. However, a tag-team of Pedro of Navarre and Isabeau de Valois (who loathes the Lancastrians, particularly after they very politely just arrange the marriage of her daughter to the dauphin) negotiates that his youngest daughter be offered to Portugal instead. It doesn’t hurt that Catherine herself is bewitchingly beautiful.