Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

Dev Diary #105 is out. It's about revamped Clergy Interactions.

This mostly deals with Papacy or Hierocratic-led religions from what I've seen:
  • New icons in the religious screen that will give you a better idea of what you can ask the Pope/Hierophant of your religion.
  • AI behavior for the Papacy is no longer hard-coded and fully scripted for all these actions. It basically means they reworked the Papal AI but also that it's now fully moddable since it's no longer hard-coded.
  • To explicit how the Papal AI has been reworked: having the Pope as a vassal or not no longer has an influence, but he's been reworked so that he will take several things into account before making decisions: Opinion, Piety, Traits, Specific circumstances (asking to divorce your infertile wife isn't the same thing as asking for the HRE to be excommunicated... unless your wife is the HRE) and the amount of cardinals you control.
  • Reworked tooltip to make it clearer why the Pope will or won't do certain actions if you ask him to.
  • Piety costs have been reworked and tied to the ruler tier. Which means lower ranked rulers will have an easier time accessing these actions while high ranking rulers will find that they cost a lot of money. Hopefully it's been done sensibly because a count still should have a harder time overall gaining the papacy's approval I think...
  • New interface when you request a claim: now you have access to a list of all the titles you can potentially ask for.
  • If you're excommunicated, issuing a declaration of repentance is now longer just a cash payment. The Pope instead has various proposals he demands he can propose you to lift your excommunication: these can range from a show of contrition (prestige loss), changing your realm laws, giving one of your sons to the Church or, according to screenshot, making you take a vow of celibacy (gain the celibate trait). I imagine the cash payment can still be an option among the possibilities.
  • On the graphic departsment: new Cardinal gfx!

Question is their a problem with my game. Playing as muslims i tend to holy war like a any propaper mulsim player, so i tend up taking rome. Does the pope normally meant to get new land, if he loses rome? As i never seen it happen he is residing in rome but rome is mine, also this fucks up crusades as i cant seige the pope end up spending five years fighting small armies.

Question is their a problem with my game. Playing as muslims i tend to holy war like a any propaper mulsim player, so i tend up taking rome. Does the pope normally meant to get new land, if he loses rome? As i never seen it happen he is residing in rome but rome is mine, also this fucks up crusades as i cant seige the pope end up spending five years fighting small armies.

The Pope resides in Rome even if he doesn't have land, it's a quirk of the game that the leaders of the various religions that HAVE leaders stay in 'their' capital city even if their religion is dead and they and a small court of three are the last believers left.

In the specific case of the Pope the game also has to have someone with the papal title around because there are events that rely on it as a 'safe' always-there character. Of course, they can still reside in Rome but not be landed.

The Pope resides in Rome even if he doesn't have land, it's a quirk of the game that the leaders of the various religions that HAVE leaders stay in 'their' capital city even if their religion is dead and they and a small court of three are the last believers left.

That sounds like a great idea for a novel, actually.

zhropkick

Banned
Why do my vassals keep repeatedly revolting for council power? How do I stop this or at least make them so powerless they can't get away with it? New to CK2

Why do my vassals keep repeatedly revolting for council power? How do I stop this or at least make them so powerless they can't get away with it? New to CK2

Just as in OTL, all vassals want to run their own lands and possibly acquire more without interference from the Crown. Your vassals will naturally always want to increase council power in order to weaken the Crown and the central authority that you represent. The challenge is to keep your vassals happy enough such that there aren’t enough vassals willing to revolt over the matter, which can be difficult in certain situations, particularly if you have new vassals or a new ruler.

To weaken factions before they get to the stage of making demands, which is the really important trick to managing this problem (and this is more general; these principles go for all factions, not just council power factions) I’ve found that there are two primary means to manage your factions. First, when factions are getting significant in size — I usually look for 40% or higher, though this is often considered excessive — try to bribe members of the factions who already mostly like you, particularly the more powerful vassals. A gift of money, a job on the Council, a minor title, a sister’s hand in marriage or even in some cases a county will all improve relations with these vassals who already like you. Once they like you over a certain threshold, they will drop out of factions entirely, thus weakening them.

Second is your spymaster — a good spymaster is your friend. Have your spymaster seek out plots and other incriminating information, particularly among your vassals with factions. Often, you will get events through this to blackmail or otherwise convince your vassals to stay out of factions for a period of time — always take them, in my opinion, even if that vassal is not currently in a faction, because it will also block them from starting or joining factions for a period of time in the future. If, on the other hand, your spymaster finds plots, don’t have them stop the plot (this is where the “automatically stop plots” checkbox, often a good labor-saving tool in a more stable kingdom, isn’t your friend) — instead, keep the evidence in your back pocket, and, if the vassal joins a faction, use the evidence of the plot as cause to arrest the vassal without tyranny. Ideally, you arrest the vassal, they’re in your dungeon, and no longer a threat for revolt. Even if the arrest fails, and the vassal rises in revolt, it’s still okay — that revolt will be probably be far weaker than the faction revolt they could have been part of, and much easier to defeat. The exception to this rule is plots to kill you, your heir, family members or other individuals who you want alive. Always arrest them or stop their plot immediately.

Finally, important to remember that these different tactics won’t always work, and will sometimes backfire; sometimes you will lose, or have to make concessions. There is not always a way to win every revolt, to stymie every faction, to keep all of your vassals happy. Sometimes, you will need to cut your losses and move on. Always remember to consider whether what’s coming is a war you want to fight right now, over this particular demand, and weigh it against your current external threats and other factions considering a revolt. Failing all else, you can always claw back that power in a few years with a few judicious bribes to the council; you can always reconquer an independent territory. The exception to this, of course, is factions seeking to remove you, or, especially, your entire dynasty from the throne; there are almost no circumstances where making that concession is reasonable, and you should fight to keep your Crown to the death.

Good luck, and I hope you have fun!

That sounds like a great idea for a novel, actually.
Well honestly it’s pretty analogous to the current situation of the Ecumenical Patriarchate IOTL.

but it makes no sense as a muslim i control rome so when the pope calls a crusade i should be able to arrest him. Not spend 7 years fighting small stacks all over the empire.

I deliberately didn't get Conclave, but I find the best way to keep factions from revolting is to have a large demesne and a big army. If you can, control as much of the realm as possible personally. If you're starting as a small realm and building up, try to educate your heirs towards Marshal; as a small realm, if you're a Brilliant Strategist and control a large demesne, often you can have enough troops that it's physically impossible for your vassals to challenge you. (Once you have a large realm and have developed your fortresses somewhat, it's more useful to have a Stewardship education.)

If you can't get a big demesne and lots of troops, you'll have to use some good old-fashioned diplomacy and skullduggery. Bribes, minor titles, marrying the relatives of powerful vassals to create marital non-aggression pacts.