Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

I think the moves made in Dharma in EUIV along with the mere existence of what you could call DLC-squared with Holy Fury might give some hope for seeing more content for the Islamic nations.

I also generally think the Middle East needs some more reworking in general. I'd like to see a Great Schism like decision for Shi'a characters and host of expansion of religious events for Muslims (and in my dreams Middle Eastern Christian characters) dealing with the religious minorities and actions that can be taken given the diverse range of religions you might find in a province. Given this isn't Vicky 2 I'm hesitant over how much Paradox might do with minorities but this would be nice.

In my wishlist I'd also like more content for Islam in general in terms of day-to-day life including heresies where possible, Coptic and other such "christian" cultures to be represented and an abolition of decadence which has just never been fun to me.

I think the general reason for no anti-pope-esque Caliphate mechanics is likely the desire to do something different for Islamic characters to prevent religions feeling too-samey but none of the team having any good ideas that stick.

Crusader kings period is marked by the struggle of christianity vs islam

While I agree that Islam in the game needs some improvements (while I'm not an expert on it and the time period), I wouldn't define the period by "the struggle between two world religions". I would rather see the mediterranean as a complex interconnected network, in which various acteurs and entities gained or lost power and exchanged goods and ideas.
Also from an Islamic perspective, first the conquest of the Turkish seljuques, political fragmentation and lather the mongol capture of Bagdad are some of various events, which could be more important for the medium and long term history of the region.

Other regions depicted in the game have various important historic developments which wouldn't fit in such a conflict narrative. For Eastern Europe the formation of various kingdoms (Hungaria, Poland ...) seems to be central, while I would say, that the power struggle between Emperor and Pope are far more important for the Holy Roman Emperor than the military expeditions into the Middle East, since this conflict shapes 1. the decentralized structure of the Holy Roman Empire, 2. the relationship between religious and non-religious authorities.

Other regions depicted in the game have various important historic developments which wouldn't fit in such a conflict narrative. For Eastern Europe the formation of various kingdoms (Hungaria, Poland ...) seems to be central, while I would say, that the power struggle between Emperor and Pope are far more important for the Holy Roman Emperor than the military expeditions into the Middle East, since this conflict shapes 1. the decentralized structure of the Holy Roman Empire, 2. the relationship between religious and non-religious authorities.
You are correct it wasn't along ago playing catholic sucked no cbs, but while you are correct catholics have more varied events, all muslims are iqta, playing in india iqta, playing in andalusia iqta theirs more difference between india and andaulusia than poland and hungary. The point im trying to make is you can play as a muslim in scotland and it would be the same playing a muslim in the middle east their is no difference playing a muslim, christians their are.

Can't wait for Holy Fury....I don't want to bother starting a new CK2 game until it comes out.
I'm a bit in the same situation.

Not sure if I won't start my first game with a random world though. Not that I don't like the historical improvements, but random world sounds just so fun.

I'm a bit in the same situation.

Not sure if I won't start my first game with a random world though. Not that I don't like the historical improvements, but random world sounds just so fun.
For me it depends on how customizable the random worlds are. I'd love to be able to form different alternate history scenarios to play in (i.e. an Umayyad victory at the Battle of Tours, or Sassanid Persia never being conquered by the Caliphate), though I feel like it probably won't be able to be that customizable. Still, I'm at least excited to explore what I can do with the random world generator.

For me it depends on how customizable the random worlds are. I'd love to be able to form different alternate history scenarios to play in (i.e. an Umayyad victory at the Battle of Tours, or Sassanid Persia never being conquered by the Caliphate), though I feel like it probably won't be able to be that customizable. Still, I'm at least excited to explore what I can do with the random world generator.

Knowing the CK2 fanbase, someone will try to create a religion, through the new mechanics, in which incest, polygamy and human sacrifice are all encouraged.

Paradox Interactive accidentally awoke the sociopath in all of us.

Yeah, there should be an "alternate history" setting in the random world generator.

Knowing the CK2 fanbase, someone will try to create a religion, through the new mechanics, in which incest, polygamy and human sacrifice are all encouraged.

I don't think it's possible to combine all three: you can only have two doctrines so it's either Incest+Polygamy, Incest+Human Sacrifice or Polygamy+Human Sacrifice.

Now, depending on how moddable this is, someone will probably try to make a mode for religions to have three doctrines...

Just play the Game of Thrones mod as a Targaryen and convert to Rhllor, problem solved.

I don't think it's possible to combine all three: you can only have two doctrines so it's either Incest+Polygamy, Incest+Human Sacrifice or Polygamy+Human Sacrifice.

Now, depending on how moddable this is, someone will probably try to make a mode for religions to have three doctrines...
It depends on if Zun have other restrictions on their doctrines: their 'Dawnbreakers' exclusive doctrine is a combination of Divine Marriage and Polygamy, so you would only need to pick up Bloodthirsty Gods for human sacrifice...

Has this ever annoyed anyone? When you get an emperor title your cloths and hats are all the same, being a mostly muslim player its the the same turban every time, i honesty want a way to change the hat atleast cause jesus it gets annoying quickly.

Dev Diary #104 was about bloodlines.

So to get a bloodline, there are several options:
  • Marry into an historical bloodline
  • Perform special actions such as building a Legend while joining a Warrior's Lodge, being an extraordinary dedicated Viking raider or restoring Israel
  • Picking the forge Bloodline ambition: you need to be at-least Duke-tier and to have around 5000 prestige to be able to do that.
The new ambitions allows several path to unlock a bloodline:
  • Murdering or Executing 30 people
  • Winning 15 Foreign Wars
  • Rule at peace for 30 years
  • Build 10 cities, 10 castles or 10 temples
You're not obligated to focus on one specific thing however. In fact, if you follow multiple options, you can end up getting a "hybrid" bloodline that grants you bonuses depending on what you did during your life. You can event get an event chain if you have the ambition but took too long to complete one of the specific paths: this will allow you to invest ressources to unlock a bloodline for your dynasty depending on the choices you make.

Bloodlines can provide static bonuses (Opinion boost, decresaing chances of vassals joining factions, Plot power boost, unlocking special buildings) or more dynamic perks such as specific events depending on what your bloodline is remembered for (Facilitating murders, meddling in your relatives' personnal affair).

In other words, it's actually a pretty flexible system if a bit demanding. That being said, you don't remember Legendary bloodlines if they didn't do something Legendary.

Can't wait for next month to get my hands on Holy Fury!

It depends on if Zun have other restrictions on their doctrines: their 'Dawnbreakers' exclusive doctrine is a combination of Divine Marriage and Polygamy, so you would only need to pick up Bloodthirsty Gods for human sacrifice...
We've now gotten the Aztec Invaders doctrine details, and have confirmation that Zun is the only potential possibility for having all three, as Invaders combines Bloodthirsty Gods with Sea-Bound and Unrelenting (presumably the design thought is that Hellenism and Aztec, as something of 'easter egg' religions that require much more effort to be be in a position to reform, get rewarded with stronger unique doctrines).