Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

Has anyone in a major war ever captured an enemy ruler and instead of peacing them out as you have captured their leader, you just execute the ruler for the lols.

Also has anyone here executed entire families such when you capture them in sieges etc.

Has anyone in a major war ever captured an enemy ruler and instead of peacing them out as you have captured their leader, you just execute the ruler for the lols.

Also has anyone here executed entire families such when you capture them in sieges etc.

Yes and Yes.

Though the first one is normally when I've captured them after a big battle where I've already 100%-ed from the warscore before capture.

Yes and yes, because I'm an idiot and did the first while doing the second...

I prefer to ransom families, unless I'm a pagan. I need to lower the number of christians who could convert my court, the only way I know how.

I did, once: I was playing as the King of Aquitaine and had won the Crusade for Jerusalem, and a random emir in Persia declared on me for someone's claim on a barony. I captured him early in the war and found that he was a syphilitic lunatic and a drunk. So I went with the RP approach and beheaded him, then beat his army up and forced his heir to agree to terms.

I had another game in which I did something interesting. I had won Jerusalem in a Crusade, left my homeland behind and then won a subsequent series of holy wars for Syria - and then the Seljuks declared on me. I went out to fight them. Very first battle, my ruler gets hit in the head and dies. His 12-year-old kid becomes ruler, and his regent doesn't have enough Stewardship to hold his demesne. The only thing preventing me from experiencing a huge faction revolt is the significant opinion boost from Defending Against Heathens. So I drag the war out.

And then, two years in, I capture the Sultan. Warscore goes to 100%. I'm still 14. My vassals are hissy. If I end the war now, there'll be a massive revolt.

So I chop off the Sultan's head, flip the warscore back to not-100%, and continue to wage a drawn-out defensive war until I grow up and can hold my entire demesne without overflow. Only then do I sue for peace. The very next day, the Seljuks split into three kingdoms due to surrendering to claimant factions, largely because the Sultan had maybe 1000 men left and a huge opinion malus from years of war.

I did, once: I was playing as the King of Aquitaine and had won the Crusade for Jerusalem, and a random emir in Persia declared on me for someone's claim on a barony. I captured him early in the war and found that he was a syphilitic lunatic and a drunk. So I went with the RP approach and beheaded him, then beat his army up and forced his heir to agree to terms.

I had another game in which I did something interesting. I had won Jerusalem in a Crusade, left my homeland behind and then won a subsequent series of holy wars for Syria - and then the Seljuks declared on me. I went out to fight them. Very first battle, my ruler gets hit in the head and dies. His 12-year-old kid becomes ruler, and his regent doesn't have enough Stewardship to hold his demesne. The only thing preventing me from experiencing a huge faction revolt is the significant opinion boost from Defending Against Heathens. So I drag the war out.

And then, two years in, I capture the Sultan. Warscore goes to 100%. I'm still 14. My vassals are hissy. If I end the war now, there'll be a massive revolt.

So I chop off the Sultan's head, flip the warscore back to not-100%, and continue to wage a drawn-out defensive war until I grow up and can hold my entire demesne without overflow. Only then do I sue for peace. The very next day, the Seljuks split into three kingdoms due to surrendering to claimant factions, largely because the Sultan had maybe 1000 men left and a huge opinion malus from years of war.
That's genius.

Was playing as Gwynned earlier and having retaken Mercia for the Britons I got a marriage request for my daughter, I accepted it, as the guy asking was heir to Northumbria, only to realise that I'd just married my daughter to my uncle...

TAKE THAT HABSBURGS! :p

Reminds me of the time I had three daughters of the same Byzantine Emperors both married to my character, his son and his brother...

Dev Diary #106 came out...

ELECTIVE SUCCESSION WAS REWORKED!
  • Reworked Tootltip to give you a better understanding of who the electors vote for and why.
  • Elective Laws are now moddable! They're no longer hardcoded! So if you think the available ones aren't that representative, you can now mod your own!
  • The conditions to be a successor or an elector have largely remained unchanged beyond the fact they're moddable. However, the AI behavior has been rewritten to take into account a long list of modifiers: opinion of the candidate, legitimacy of the claim, trust in regards to the ruler voting for said candidates, Age, titles, character traits, culture, religion, dynastic ties and more. They're also now visualisable in the new tooltip. You can even situate where you candidate lies compared to the other elector thanks to comparative scores.
  • New succession law in the form of Eldership. It guarantees your successor belongs to your dynasty. Elders consist of the six oldest and most learned character in the realm, and they can take three stance on the candidate: Displeased, Pleased, Ecstatic. Ecstatic Elders will always vote for your chosen candidate, never make demands and even give you advices to better yourself. Pleased Elders will tend to vote for a candidate of your dynasty that is the oldest and has the highest stewardship and can make reasonnable demands. Displeased Elders are dangerous as they can grant claims to rivals they like better and will purposedly choose bad candidates to sap your authority.
  • Eldership succession will be available to Baltic and African pagans. Other pagan religions can be pick it upon Reformation by choosing the right doctrine.
  • The HRE gets its own special elective law: princely elective. Electors consist only of the Emperor and Seven Elector-Prince. It also is coded to take into account Historical Titles for Prince-Electors: the Bishops of Mainz, Koln and Trier as well as the Dukes of Bohemia, Franconia, Saxony and Brandenburg (I'd criticize the absence of Palatinate but the Title isn't exactly present in the game... Also, Swabia was originally a Prince Elector before Brandenburg got it). If One title is missing or held by the Emperor, a Prince Elector will be chosen among other Dukes (Prioritizing de-jure vassals and rulers of the same religion). Under Papal Investiture, Theocratic Electors have twice the strength of normal Electors. AI behavior is much less likely to pick impious rulers or non-Catholic heirs.
  • Because of the newly Princely Elective succession, it's been made harder for the HRE to switch from it. Requirements to switch from said law include Maximum Centralization as well as either Absolute Crown Authority or Abolished Council Power. Furthermore, HRE vassals will have an easier time picking Princely Elective succession as a Faction.
  • New Elective Law for Byzantium and the Restored Roman Empire. It's now only available for Imperial Government, a special government created for both titles. Said succession was created to better represent succession in Byzantium and Rome.
  • Under Imperial Succession, potential candidates include the Emperor's children and family members (spouses included, hello Irene), claimants to the title, the current Marshall and any commander under the Emperor (emphasizes the military influence of the title), with the exception of mutilated characters (logical choice given that blinding or castrating was often a way to get rid of a candidate).
  • Under Imperial Succession, the Imperial Court makes all the electors. These include the Emperor, all his Councilors and all his Commanders. This is to better represent the fact Byzantium was a centralized state and thus less reliant on Feudal Lords.
  • Under Imperial Succession, each of the potential eclectors has a scaled voting power which is based on his status and his attributes. The Emperor for example will start at 200 + whatever boost he can get from his Diplomacy and Martial score. He can also take penalties if he's not born in the purple, deformed, crippled or if he has a reputation for appointing sycophants. For Other Electors it's tied to their prestige, rank and attributes. Minor titles also have an influence so it'll be a good idea to choose your Sebastokrator and Caesar carefully (as well as making these two titles more than opinion boosters, which is what minor titles tend to be).
  • Under Imperial Succession, you can't revoke Competent Commanders of Councilors without paying the price for it. The more competent people you push out because you deem they have too much influence, the more the Emperor's voting power will plummet. Same goes for appointing awful commanders or councilors. Also, the Emperor can't appoint Landless Commanders if others are available. Really loving the idea of this feature for the RP side of things and the political chess it can bring playing as Byzantium...
  • Imperial Electors don't care about family ties and character traits, they care about competence. As such, Imperial Electors will care about High Prestige, Titles (Landed or Minor) and the ones with the highest stats, especially Intrigue (Byzantium) or Diplomacy (Rome). As a result, children are less likely to be picked because they tend to have low stats compared to adults. A Byzantine Emperor who wants to keep his family on the throne will thus have to groom his blood relatives to make them valid candidates.
  • A new feature for Tribal rulers: Strong Claim Duel. If you have the War focus active or are part of a Warrior Lodge, you can duel another ruler whose titles you have a Strong Claim on, at the condition that he is independant or that you have the same liege. If you win, you gain the title but if you lose, you're probably dead... Also, if you duel an AI character of the same dynasty and lose, you will have the possibility of switching to said character.

THIS IS SO AWESOME! Elective will be much more fun in terms of roleplay now. And all that political chess...

Days to go until Holy Awesome Fury is released : 18.

Still no Co-Emperor mechanic sigh

Not a fan of having to land my commanders and my children. This is the opposite of a centralized government. Feudal commanders should be restricted to landed characters, certainly not Byzantine commanders. Can you even land an eunuch?

Still no Co-Emperor mechanic sigh

Not a fan of having to land my commanders and my children. This is the opposite of a centralized government. Feudal commanders should be restricted to landed characters, certainly not Byzantine commanders. Can you even land an eunuch?
Why can you not? Plus you get the land back when they die!