Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

Plethon's own summary of the Nómoi also survived, amongst manuscripts held by his former student Bessarion. This summary, titled Summary of the Doctrines of Zoroaster and Plato, affirms the existence of a pantheon of gods, with Zeus as supreme sovereign, containing within himself all being in an undivided state; his eldest child, motherless, is Poseidon, who created the heavens and rules all below, ordaining order in the universe. Zeus' other children include an array of "supercelestial" gods, the Olympians and Tartareans, all motherless. Of these Hera is third in command after Poseidon, creatress and ruler of indestructible matter, and the mother by Zeus of the heavenly gods, demi-gods and spirits. The Olympians rule immortal life in the heavens, the Tartareans mortal life below, their leader Kronos ruling over mortality altogether. The eldest of the heavenly gods is Helios, master of the heavens here and source of all mortal life on earth. The gods are responsible for much good and no evil, and guide all life towards divine order. Plethon describes the creation of the universe as being perfect and outside of time, so that the universe remains eternal, without beginning or end. The soul of man, like the gods is immortal and essentially good, and is reincarnated in successive mortal bodies for eternity at the direction of the gods.[14]
Ok, that is very very interesting, thank you for mentioning him.

No problem, I saw someone mention him in the Plaza and decided to spread the good word (if you will).

The page 20 Silfae answer is "Any non-Catholic Emperor can get that event." in response to a question if Lollards or Waldensians can do it, so it seems Catholics are out. Sounds like an Islamic Roman Empire can, though.
Belated addendum: forming the Roman Empire is locked behind Christian or Hellenic, though, so to get it as Islamic you'd have to prepare for Islamic conversion but not complete it until immediately after getting the Roman Empire title.

I wonder if Arians might be added next as a Hellenic revival would be even more implausible than an Arian revival (the last Arian rulers in Europe were in the late-7th century).

I wonder if Arians might be added next as a Hellenic revival would be even more implausible than an Arian revival (the last Arian rulers in Europe were in the late-7th century).

That'd be cool, plus I'd like to see Celtic Paganism added as an a-historical revival option, at the very least make the ancestors of the Irish lords and Kings something besides 'Generic Pagan' in their history files.

New Dev Diary is out :
  • Coronation ceremonies for Catholic monarchs! Catholic Kings and Emperors will now have to seek support from a high ranking clergy members so that he crowns them. If they don't they get a penalty for being uncrowned.
  • You can be crowned by either the Pope, a powerfuls theocratic vassal (think a Cardinal or Prince-Bishop or even an Antipope) or any bishop in your realm. The Pope is obviously the most prestigious one of them all but he's also the most expensive to convince.
  • Requests and negotiations for coronations can vary depending on who you're asking to crown you and how your realm works. In the case of the Pope for example, you can be asked to switch to Papal Investiture for bishops, to wage war against Heretics/Excommunicated Rulers or to give back parts of the Patrimony of St. Peter (it says lands in Central Italy so that's how I'm interpreting it). Lower-ranked Church officials probably have simpler demands.
  • You can also choose the scope of the coronation ceremony. Large coronation ceremonies bring obviously the bigger boosts, but they're also the most expensive.
  • Once crowned, you gain a specific trait depending on who crowned you. It also will have a graphic effect as now Kings and Emperors will only wear their crown if they've performed a coronation.
  • And in keeping with the gfx side of things, there are even specific graphics for specific crowns! Screenshots showcasing this include the crown of the Sassanids (not sure if that imply Zoroastrians get coronation events too), a cursed diamond crown (forgeable artifact?) and a Whispering crown for African rulers.

One minor thing that slipped from the diary: Fraticelli also get coronation, on account of them being extremely Catholic-like both mechanically and in flavour.

Not sure why only Catholics get coronations. Seems lazy to me. Oh well, HIP will be there to fix it.
The way the mechanic works, it looks like it’s primarily aimed at replicating the specific dynamic of relations between the Catholic monarchies with the Catholic Church in general and the Papacy in particular; it’s not just a generic event. Whether the Pope sanctioned a man taking the throne, particularly the Imperial throne, was a serious political issue in Catholic states that isn’t immediately applicable to other states, and it’s something to date which hasn’t been satisfactorily implemented by PDS or any mod that I’m aware of (not that I know every mod, of course). It fits with the theme of this DLC which in general as far as Christians are concerned seems to be about fleshing out the relationship between Catholic princes and the Church, particularly through the Crusade mechanic overhaul.

HIP has a coronation mechanic, but it’s much more generic than this one seems to be heading, and it ultimately has the same problem that it’s oriented toward a specific concept of what a coronation means - a less specific one than this mechanic seems to be intending - which also isn’t universal. I would rather that PDS institute a gameplay mechanic for Catholic coronations that achieves replication of a specific historical political institution for Catholics, rather than either making it a universal, generic system with far less impact on gameplay or, worse, trying to apply a fundamentally Catholic mechanic to non-Catholic (or non-Catholic-like, at least) religions.

I still wish they'd add more flavour to Arabs and Berbers, like mechanics for the Berber tribes and clans.
Does anyone know why arabs cant raid? I mean battle of tours was a muslim raid not invasion also the arabs themselves are tirbal, a tribe fucking rules saudi arabia at this moment. I want chaos and to murder my father and brothers and their children, i want to take christain princesses as wives from my tributes, have my mum try and murder me to put her favourite son in charge, i want to watch my vassal break away without that faction crap, i want my own soldiers to turn on me. Thats all pretty common in the muslim world yet none of this happens.

Btw on the paradox website you can suggest stuff, is it actually a real thing to do or is it lip service for paradox to make us think their listening.

Does anyone know why arabs cant raid? I mean battle of tours was a muslim raid not invasion also the arabs themselves are tirbal, a tribe fucking rules saudi arabia at this moment. I want chaos and to murder my father and brothers and their children, i want to take christain princesses as wives from my tributes, have my mum try and murder me to put her favourite son in charge, i want to watch my vassal break away without that faction crap, i want my own soldiers to turn on me. Thats all pretty common in the muslim world yet none of this happens.

Btw on the paradox website you can suggest stuff, is it actually a real thing to do or is it lip service for paradox to make us think their listening.
They have an entire active forum community regularly visited by the Developers. Users regularly directly shape future DLC for most of their games, and customer feedback from there is very important to them given both volume and their own presence.

They have an entire active forum community regularly visited by the Developers. Users regularly directly shape future DLC for most of their games, and customer feedback from there is very important to them given both volume and their own presence.
as @Planet of Hats has stated people have constantly suggested reworking the caliphate he himself has also suggested. But it never seems to be taken into account Sword of islam made the muslims non-christian but now they just seem to be the most vanilla people in the game. (btw im not saying fuck christians and other religions getting developed the catholics needed an overhual) but goddammit the muslims need to be reworked. Crusader kings period is marked by the struggle of christianity vs islam. Im happy the pagens are getting some love they deserve it but come on as some one else mentioned why the fuck is hellenism getting a focus? Paradox are great at developing the small guys but one of the big guys is vanilla as can be and need to be changed. People suggesting anti pope caliphate its constant thing yet paradox never adds it? (btw please dont take this as me hating on every other player choice in the game im just salty islam in its state is fucking retarded, this is coming from a mostly muslim non european player preference so it kills me i barely play mid game) Islam makes no sense in the game, it barely mirrors the real thing, no Muslim republics half of the governments should be slave run. im just salty no changes large and small have happened to it yet Hellenism is getting a development, pagen religions are more developed than islam is in game which to me is weird.