If you mean this Anne of Austria she was born IOTL during 1601....we're currently in 1575 as of this post so her birth isn't actually like....relevant. Yet. In fact she's a daughter of the OTL Phillip III, who does not exist in this timeline, thus she can't exist. If there is an infanta named Anne born later, it wouldn't be her.

Catherine's marriage will certainly need to happen soon, if England doesn't want a repeat of her mother's long wait haha.
I meant this Anne of Austria - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_of_Austria,_Queen_of_Spain

Who would be suitable as husband for Catherine, though?
Charles IX?
Ah I forgot to edit her calling off the betrothal out from a deleted part, I decided to delay that happening since I re-calculated her age and found she was younger than I remembered her to be. That said obviously she won't be marrying Rudolph any time soon regardless of me keeping the betrothal alive through 1575 or not. I could see her marrying another Austrian or even a French Prince. And she is a Habsburg, so incest is obviously not off the table.

Ah I forgot to edit her calling off the betrothal out from a deleted part, I decided to delay that happening since I re-calculated her age and found she was younger than I remembered her to be. That said obviously she won't be marrying Rudolph any time soon regardless of me keeping the betrothal alive through 1575 or not. I could see her marrying another Austrian or even a French Prince. And she is a Habsburg, so incest is obviously not off the table.
Incest is not off the table but there aren't that many suitable candidates for her, are there?

Incest is not off the table but there aren't that many suitable candidates for her, are there?
I'm not entirely sure how many men would be of marrying age and suitable rank in 1575. Like she is an infanta of Spain as well as a Princess of England, and is still in line for both thrones, so her dad and brother aren't gonna just let her marry any random lord who comes proposing marriage to her.

I'm not entirely sure how many men would be of marrying age and suitable rank in 1575. Like she is an infanta of Spain as well as a Princess of England, and is still in line for both thrones, so her dad and brother aren't gonna just let her marry any random lord who comes proposing marriage to her.
...exactly.
Charles IX is possibility as his IOTL wife is taken by Catherine's brother.
Perhaps, IOTL's Duke of Anjou? He is of suitable rank and also unlikely to be king of France so he can't threaten her power

"King Phillip II of England as well as his wife Elisabeth would both attend the young princess' christening in Madrid" - I cannot see a very heavily pregnant Elisabeth being allowed a ship in November 1574 - I am not even sure Phillip would go that close to the birth.

Dump Prince Rudolph and get someone local and more reliable Princess Catherine!

I thought England had some settlements in Newfoundland and such by this time?

"King Phillip II of England as well as his wife Elisabeth would both attend the young princess' christening in Madrid" - I cannot see a very heavily pregnant Elisabeth being allowed a ship in November 1574 - I am not even sure Phillip would go that close to the birth.

Dump Prince Rudolph and get someone local and more reliable Princess Catherine!

I thought England had some settlements in Newfoundland and such by this time?
Thanks for the suggestion, fixed.

Did they? According to my looking it up the first English settlement was Fort Raleigh in 1585, literally 10 years from the present point. But if that's wrong, I'll go back and those settlements in.

Ooh nice, it seems that Phillip II of England is a good husband to his cousin/wife, hopefully he doesn't stray from her like his grandfather with his wives, or, at least, is more discreet.

Ooh nice, it seems that Phillip II of England is a good husband to his cousin/wife, hopefully he doesn't stray from her like his grandfather with his wives, or, at least, is more discreet.
Luckily he managed to have a son on his first try, so him repeating Henry VIII is very hard unless his son dies young.

Well if Catherine becomes TTL's Mrs Charles IX, that will probably help the dynasty a tiny bit
Well he died in 1574, buuut I conveniently did not mention his death (mostly due to trying to focus on English events despite there not being much of note going on at the moment). However the current time would be during his decline following the massacre in which he's not in sound mental or physical health. Doesn't rule him out, but does put said union into question.

In the original draft of the TL I planned for her first marriage to be to the King of Portugal, but of course that union was going to be a dud and with no heirs Portugal meets the same fate post-Sebastian as IOTL. In this draft it's a bit more realistic in that said betrothal was proposed but stalled/rejected thus never even happening. So Sebastian of Portugal is out (and will likely be dead in a few more years anyway, leaving daddy to take Portugal). Rudolph would be great if he'd stop being such a lothario (which he won't). Charles IX would be good if his death was butterflied and if he wasn't declining mentally/emotionally. Someone suggested Ernst, Rudolph's brother, not sure if he's married or not by 1575 though. If not he is an option/alternative. Could also turn to a English nobleman, though for a Habsburg Princess that would be unorthodox. Though she's also an English princess. James of Scotland is there too, though the proposal was declined by Phillip II of England originally due to Catherine being first in line and Scotland, well, being a threat. Perhaps now that he has a son though it could happen.

The elephant in the room would be the last resort "there is literally nobody else viable" option of Enrico Emmanuele, Duke of Savoy....and grandson of Anne Boleyn (and thus half-1st cousin). i.e. it'd be good that both Catherine of Aragon & Mary I are dead because ooh boy would they have a reaction to the mere idea of that.

Well he died in 1574, buuut I conveniently did not mention his death (mostly due to trying to focus on English events despite there not being much of note going on at the moment). However the current time would be during his decline following the massacre in which he's not in sound mental or physical health. Doesn't rule him out, but does put said union into question.

In the original draft of the TL I planned for her first marriage to be to the King of Portugal, but of course that union was going to be a dud and with no heirs Portugal meets the same fate post-Sebastian as IOTL. In this draft it's a bit more realistic in that said betrothal was proposed but stalled/rejected thus never even happening. So Sebastian of Portugal is out (and will likely be dead in a few more years anyway, leaving daddy to take Portugal). Rudolph would be great if he'd stop being such a lothario (which he won't). Charles IX would be good if his death was butterflied and if he wasn't declining mentally/emotionally. Someone suggested Ernst, Rudolph's brother, not sure if he's married or not by 1575 though. If not he is an option/alternative. Could also turn to a English nobleman, though for a Habsburg Princess that would be unorthodox. Though she's also an English princess. James of Scotland is there too, though the proposal was declined by Phillip II of England originally due to Catherine being first in line and Scotland, well, being a threat. Perhaps now that he has a son though it could happen.

The elephant in the room would be the last resort "there is literally nobody else viable" option of Enrico Emmanuele, Duke of Savoy....and grandson of Anne Boleyn (and thus half-1st cousin). i.e. it'd be good that both Catherine of Aragon & Mary I are dead because ooh boy would they have a reaction to the mere idea of that.
Ernest died unmmarried in 1595 in OTL meaning who is perfectly free to marry Catherine here and considering Rudolf’s attitude to marriage Catherine Will most likely become either the next Empress (if Ernest lived longer than Rudolf) or the mother of the next Emperor…

Last edited:
Ernest died unmmarried in 1495 in OTL meaning who is perfectly free to marry Catherine here and considering Rudolf’s attitude to marriage Catherine Will most likely become either the next Empress (if Ernest lived longer than Rudolf) or the mother of the next Emperor…
1495?