Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

What about Congressman Evan Mecham (R) - AZ.

He would make a great addition to the lingering hardline of the party who in this TL haven’t been humbled by a landslide Goldwater defeat.

A great addition, @PresidentZinn, due to '74 being a surprisingly strong Republican year, Congressman Mecham managed to get himself finally elected Governor of Arizona. :) He plans on using his term in office to slash taxes and drive the GOP as far to the right as he can manage, though he is also hoping to wage a campaign to combat adult illiteracy. (Mecham seems to me, an endlessly complicated figure). His largest bases of support are his fellow Mormons and the remnants of the ultra-right wing John Birch Society, but he may try to paint himself as just a very conservative "mainstream" GOP man.

Evan_Mecham.jpg

Hope Reid gets into the Senate as OTL. He helped contribute to the spineless neoliberal takeover of the Democrats OTL, but hopefully he can wise up and...well, not do that TTL.

I love the idea of Newt Gingrich as TTL's Harry Turtledove, lol. Having him not get into politics and thereby not poison the well with his cheap tricks and sleazy promises would help avoid the insane polarization we're seeing OTL.

@Nerdman3000 recently sent me some ideas about Gingrich becoming an Alternate History author ITTL that I absolutely loved. :) I plan on putting them into a pop culture update in the future as Gingrich's career gets more underway.

As for Harry Reid, I won't say too much for now. He is hoping to one day run for the Senate of course, and his is dismayed at the news that there is talk of a Federal nuclear waste storage and treatment facility in his home state. Remember that ITTL JFK pushed for all kinds of alternative energy research, include safe Nuclear.

Hey Mr. President, since Northern Ireland is heating up, maybe in a future chapter going into more detail, we could maybe get some word from the Clancy Brothers?

Throughout the year - Thanks to their television specials, appearances on The Ed Sullivan Show, and massive record sales, The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem, world renowned celtic folk singers and a huge inspiration for Bob Dylan, become known as “the Four Most Famous Irishmen in the world.” They are invited to the White House by President Kennedy to perform and outsell even the King of Rock N Roll, Elvis Presley, in Ireland.

dxQJ2t5Fg8lHQy-_ie7QWy72zvGCzAVIiz5OTbQRO-wK2h30Eg8jGNxOMoHc_PxOXz5imTWRpvfLzvHB5rv0CAH3QhCae5l5RkeONFc5zROQVAH3m4dKoZcdXZvppAvrTwfjAV3E

I love the idea of Newt Gingrich as TTL's Harry Turtledove, lol. Having him not get into politics and thereby not poison the well with his cheap tricks and sleazy promises would help avoid the insane polarization we're seeing OTL.
Funny enough, Newt Gingrich as a Alternate History writer is actually something that is really the case in OTL. Gingrich actually has quite a few alternate history books he wrote from the mid-90's on, especially so after he left Congress (well, he wrote one in the 90's when he was still in Congress and the rest in the 2000s after he left). In the case of ITTL however, the idea that I suggested to @President_Lincoln is that with the existence of LBJ's New South, it's likely that Gingrich may lose the ITTL 1978 Georgia House Election. So in the scenario I imagined and suggested, ITTL Gingrich starts writing Alternate History novels at least a decade earlier than in OTL, in the 1980s, and makes a huge career out of it.

Last edited:
This is definitely out of left field, but I’d like to ask about the state of popular music in two countries which had their national music scenes destroyed right about this time IOTL: Cambodia and Ethiopia.

I just saw a fascinating and kind of heart-breaking documentary, Don’t Think I’ve Forgotten, about the history of Cambodian popular music. The essential gist of it is that in the 1950s through 70s Cambodia had a thriving popular music scene that blended traditional music and international genres such as Afro-Cuban music, rock and roll, and French popular music into a unique genre of Cambodian rock.

Then under the Khmer Rouge, most of the most famous musicians vanished, presumed dead, and the music scene disappeared completely. It took until the 1990s for what fragmentary recordings remained (the Khmer Rouge destroyed all of the records they could find) to be discovered on an international stage and prove to be surprisingly popular.

Ethiopia under the Derg had a very similar destruction of local popular music, although the cut off was less dramatic and the scene essentially survived.

So my point is, how will culture and arts develop in these two nations ITTL and possibly affect the wider world? I cannot remember the state of Ethiopian politics here, did the Derg still come to power? I do know that Cambodia has had a different outcome here with greater US support, and I could actually see some of the popular Cambodian popular music reaching the ears of American soldiers in the nation. What if Cambodian rock had an impact in America ITTL? Artists like Sinn Sisamouth and Ros Serey Sothea were and still are household names in Cambodia despite their deaths forty years ago. I could see them having significant success abroad ITTL, even above and beyond the effects of them surviving.

America has far less cultural contact with Ethiopia, of course, but that nation not falling to totalitarianism could help its artistic scene thrive and have a greater impact across East Africa.

Here’s Sinn Sisamouth, considered the father of Cambodian popular music, the “Cambodian Elvis”:

Ros Serey Sothea, the most famous woman singer, singing an agogo song:

Drakkar, a psychedelic and hard rock band:

As for Ethiopia, here’s Alemayehu Eshete, an Ethio-Jazz singer coincidentally called the “Ethiopian Elvis.” He’s still around, actually:

Since we're talking about the TTL careers of OTL politicians, how is George McGovern doing? I can't remember if he's been mentioned yet.

I could easily see Audie Murphy becoming the head of the Department of Veterans Affairs in a Democratic administration ITTL (he's a World War II veteran, after all)…

And, well, woe to anyone in the VA under Murphy's leadership who tries to treat veterans badly; ask anyone who tried picking a fight with Murphy how that went...

Indonesia Retcon
Salutations readers and audience members, I must announce that I have a brief retcon to make for TTL:

In previous posts answering questions posed to me about Indonesia's fate ITTL, I stated that events there transpired in much the same manner as they did IOTL. Thanks to a thoughtful and informative message from @C2sg, I have been presented with some new facts concerning JFK's positions on Indonesia which I believe merit the retcon. Here is the new version of what has transpired there since the PoD:

Shortly before being reelected to his second term in 1964, U.S. President John F. Kennedy paid a visit to Sukarno, the first President of Indonesia in Jakarta and began a concerted effort to enforce the newly minted "Kennedy Doctrine" there. The Kennedy Administration, seeking to prevent further Indonesian drift toward the Communist bloc after years of the Eisenhower Administration's covert support for Permesta regional uprisings in Sumatra and Sulawesi, made the state visit the first in a series of diplomatic courtship efforts aimed at simultaneously democratizing Indonesia and also bringing the country into friendship with the United States and its allies. After forcefully negotiating the New York Agreement, which brought an end to the West Guinea conflict on the side of Indonesia in 1963, JFK made promises that he would curtail any CIA operations aimed at Sukarno's removal in exchange for Sukarno steering his country closer to the U.S. sphere and allowing for open, free, and fair elections in his country. Sukarno, despite his reluctance, agreed. Since then, Indonesia has remained a mostly unaligned nation, with slight U.S. leanings and Sukarno has made good on his vows toward democratization. In 1970, Sukarno passed away and elections were called to elect his successor. His Vice President, Mohammad Hatta was elected and has served as Indonesia's second President since.

images
upload_2019-3-28_11-50-29.jpeg
220px-VP_Hatta.jpg

Thank you again to @C2sg for helping me to make these alterations. Much obliged!

Thank you for the update Mr @President_Lincoln

Good that democracy was spread and continued to hold during JFK's time.

You're quite welcome, Ogrebear! :D I like to believe that had he survived the attempt on his life, President Kennedy would have made a determined effort to stay true to his beliefs, especially on foreign policy. While JFK certainly had ideas and beliefs about the best way to manage domestic affairs, his true interest was always in geopolitics and diplomacy. :)

He lost in the 74 midterms.

Yep. :p Unfortunately, Senator McGovern couldn't stave off a strongly Republican year. It's a real shame too, because his negotiation of an end to the Wounded Knee Protests had brought him tremendous national attention and would have set him up nicely for a run at the White House in '76. :(