Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

Greetings all! In response to some wonderful feedback and advice that I've received from you, my amazing audience, I have decided to issue a minor retcon concerning the casting of the Joker in TTL's 1984 live action Batman film. :) Because of his strong live action career as a star ITTL, I am going to have Mark Hamill play the Joker in TTL's Batman and any other appearances in its sequels (and animated spin-off series!).

upload_2019-7-26_23-13-51-png.475876
View attachment 475878View attachment 475879
This makes the new main cast for 1984's Batman:

Batman/Bruce Wayne - Harrison Ford
The Joker - Mark Hamill
Vicki Vale - Sean Young
Alexander Knox - Robert Wuhl
Police Commissioner James Gordon - Tom Skerritt
Harvey Dent - Billy Dee Williams
Alfred Pennyworth - Jon Pertwee

I look forward to casting more movies with you all in the future as TTL moves forward! :D

Man oh man, this is awesome!

Awesome casting for Batman here. Wonderhow you'll have Harrison Ford play Bruce. Have ideas for future movie and TV series casting, for later shows.

1. Maybe in a future Batman movie when Ford is too old you could have the mantle pass to whoever is playing Dick Grayson.
  2. Is there any room for Adam West in the cast? He could be either Thomas Wayne, the Mayor of Gotham, or a character like Simon Trent from the animated series.

While I love Hamill as a live action Joker (plus I can totally see him being willing to come back and do the animated voice as well later on), I admittedly don't know about how to feel about Harrison Ford as Bruce Wayne. He's a great actor, but I can't imagine Batman when I see him, funny enough (Bruce Wayne, yes, not Batman though). That and him working with Mark Hamill three times in a row ITTL is a little weird and convenient.
Same here. I love Harrison Ford but I have a hard time seeing him in the cowl. Maybe as an older and grizzled Bruce but not as the face of a new franchise.
Personally, I'd be interested in seeing Alec Baldwin as Bats. His work in The Shadow movie is wonderful and depending on what kinda of style and tone they're going for, could easily work for a Batman picture.

1. Maybe in a future Batman movie when Ford is too old you could have the mantle pass to whoever is playing Dick Grayson.
  2. Is there any room for Adam West in the cast? He could be either Thomas Wayne, the Mayor of Gotham, or a character like Simon Trent from the animated series.
He could be the Mayor of Gotham to channel his OTL role on Family Guy

I wish you would've kept Keaton and Jack as Batman and Joker in this timeline, it just seems you keep having Mark and Harrison work together all the time. I love the timeline but if you're going to change something at least have some variety. (No disrespect intended Mr. President)

I wish you would've kept Keaton and Jack as Batman and Joker in this timeline, it just seems you keep having Mark and Harrison work together all the time. I love the timeline but if you're going to change something at least have some variety. (No disrespect intended Mr. President)
I have to fully agree on the Mark and Harrison part as well honestly. Actually wouldn't mind Michael Keaton and Jack Nicolson staying as live action Batman and Joker either if I'm honest, as much as Mark Hamill as live action Joker would be cool.

The alternate "Star Trek: Phase II" was fun, and very interesting decision to go with Nicholas Meyer's flak jackets (my second favourite uniform of all of Trek) with Roddenberry as showrunner/EP---considering that he opposed as far as I understand it---almost all of Meyer's decisions to militarize Starfleet. I wonder who on this alternate staff would come up with those suggestions? Xon wearing command gold is a bit weird---but great! Also love the idea of George Takei leading this series as Captain Sulu, and Morgan Freeman being Deckar. Tremendous job both of you on this.
Here the idea is, at least in my head, is that having Nicholas Meyer's flak jackets ending up being a bit of a compromise between Roddenberry and the studio, after Meyer's (he's working on Phase II) comments/suggestions on the more militarized uniforms reached the studios and got them convinced, as a lot of them wanted to avoid the 'goofy' space uniforms this time around. There's then a bit of back and forth on this, and Roddenberry decides to use the more militarized uniform decision, but with the compromise of using the TOS/Phase I color scheme (which in ITTL will be consistent throughout all of ITTL, so no more Red for command and gold for engineering ITTL).

There's actually a lot of little things like that I thought about mentioning, but ultimately decided not to because I didn't want this thing to get too long (like for example, possibly hinting that since NBC fully owns Phase I, but Roddenberry co-owns everything after including Phase II, could lead to some alternate Star Trek rights issues in the future). Maybe I'll get into it if @President_Lincoln doesn't mind me doing another of these write-ups. I've actually be really wanting to do a write-up eventually on ITTL Disney at some point as well. As I mentioned in the Star Trek part, Michael Eisner still becomes CEO of Disney in the future and I have a lot of ideas for Disney.

Last edited:
I have to agree with you all that more variety is needed to prevent the Ford/Hamill combo from being overused ITTL. :) I appreciate all of your input and suggestions, but I've decided that I would like the studio to decide to take a chance on Kevin Conroy and cast him as Batman/Bruce Wayne in the '84 live action film and its animated spin off series. Conroy's voice is classic Batman to me, and while I love Michael Keaton, I think I would like to have some changes from OTL. :D

Attachments

• kevin-conroy-batman-152640.jpg
    kevin-conroy-batman-152640.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 138
I am vengeance. I am the Night. I am Batman! I've wondered what Kevin Conroy would looklike as a live action Batman.
I guess something like this?

1jUXBkE.png

Though the costume might be different in ITTL.

It's important to note that since ITTL 1984 Batman is created before ITTL 1986's 'The Dark Knight Returns', so the movie might not be as dark and 'grown-up' as in the OTL 1989 Batman film. While Batman did start going darker in the 1970s under writer Dennis O’Neil and artist Neal Adams, and it can be argued that the Dark Knight Returns was the culmination of 17 years of comics making Batman darker, he still wouldn’t be as dark in 1984 as he was in OTL 1989. So tone-wise, I imagine the movie would be somewhere in the middle of OTL's 1989's Batman and OTL Batman Forever.

Mark Hamill as a live action Joker would probably resemble this art piece I've found by artist Pat Carbajal:

DqRnrQ3W4AAhagw

Last edited:
Thanks your probably right above the film and Batman in it not being dark. They might take some inspiration from Dennis O' Neil's work. Great pictures too by the way.

If the comics are following the same trajectory as the comics, then 1984 would have just after Jason Todd became Robin and Dick Grayson becoming Nitewing so that might affect the decision to include a sidekick.

Frustratingly, all the best stories that would make for strong movies all come out towards the end of the decade. Maybe for lols, Alan Moore can work for Hollywood and write The Killing Joke a few years earlier

If the comics are following the same trajectory as the comics, then 1984 would have just after Jason Todd became Robin and Dick Grayson becoming Nitewing so that might affect the decision to include a sidekick.

Frustratingly, all the best stories that would make for strong movies all come out towards the end of the decade. Maybe for lols, Alan Moore can work for Hollywood and write The Killing Joke a few years earlier
I think Grayson becoming Nightwing would still happen, and Jason Todd becoming Robin might still happen, though there would certainly butterflies. That’s of course assuming either events still happen ITTL in the first place, as it should be noted Batman comics would be somewhat different if you consider the fact that ITTL for example, Poison Ivy has a completely different origin than OTL and is ITTL, alongside Catwoman, a noted love interest of Bruce Wayne.

As for Alan Moore, isn’t he famously disdainful of Hollywood? Personally can’t see him not writing comics ITTL.

By the way, I’m curious if Batman 1984, assuming his costume somewhat resembles the 1989 OTL version, if that may in turn change Batman’s comics costume after Crisis on Infinite Earths to more resemble his movie costume. I think I remember reading once that after Crisis on Infinite Earths, the idea of getting rid of Superman and Batman’s trunks was brought up by one of the creators (can’t remember who), but it got rejected, and that it was the first time the idea for getting rid of the trunks was ever brought up.

If however ITTL costume resembles the movie suit, and therefore has no trunks, I wonder if this idea could end up gaining traction for Superman as well. It’s just a thought though, and I'm only bringing it up because I've never liked the trunks myself.

Last edited:
There was a timeline, which I don’t remember the name of, that had the Batman costume have a less vibrant version of the 60’s Batman suit’s colour scheme.

If you're open to suggestions, I might suggest these actors for other potential batmen:

Powers Boothe
Kurt Russell
Michael Biehn
Dennis Quaid
Timothy Dalton
Everett McGill

Please, please tell me you guys are considering keeping on billy Dee Williams as two face?

Thank you!

Tried to see what a alternate post-Crisis ITTL Superman and Batman with no trunks could look like and ended up creating this:

wg60GNb.png

GbDxhZ0.png

I personally like it, but I might be biased. Plus I don't think any alternate timeline has ever explored DC Comics getting rid of the trunks on Superman and Batman earlier.