Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

Windows95

Banned
200.gif
I am hearing this gif in his own voice.

200 pages to this thread and 199 gave us a fantastic Star Trek post, plus some music news. Cool!

I am hoping Takei gets his Sulu series here with the OTL aborted 70’s Phase II being Sulu’s series, with some familiar faces on-board and dropping by in cameo.

...If this happens I will quit merely loving this TL and may propose to it :p

Sharon Tate and Leonard Nimoy were the ones to share the kiss on screen. :) I believe Nerdman's point was that because Tate's character, Jane Kirk, was essentially a female version of Shatner's Character, James Kirk; then the episode was implying that Spock could share feelings for at least the personality of his captain, thus a potential for homoerotic overtones.
A metaphor about as subtle as a brick to the face. A brick made of compressed Michael Moore movies.
The first ever Slash Fic writers are gonna be SO fucking happy with that Jane Kirk/Spock kiss..
Dude, in OTL Kirk and Spock rolled on the ground face to face clutching each other in a "fight" when Spock was overcome by mating urges and uncontrolled emotion.

This is just icing on the cake.
Well, there had been some thought of trying to do episodes that used metaphor to suggest LGBT issues - like that TNG episode that was to be a metaphor for AIDS, and that one about the monogendered race where Riker falls in love with one that wants to be an actual gender. Maybe ITTL, Jonathan Frakes' request to have the LI be a male actor will be filled.

And then, with gradual changes, we could actually get a same-sex romance on-screen by the time of DS9...
Oh, the J'Nai episode? Yeah, that one really should've had all-male actors. Also, Frakes is good people, he needs to get more work post-TNG.

Keep in mind btw that OTL DS9 had a lesbian kiss in primetime. Episode Rejoined. They were only barred from making Bashir and Garak canon by Rick Berman and the Suits, too.

A metaphor about as subtle as a brick to the face. A brick made of compressed Michael Moore movies.

And that's such a meta metaphor, in that it is of itself not subtle :D

Dude, in OTL Kirk and Spock rolled on the ground face to face clutching each other in a "fight" when Spock was overcome by mating urges and uncontrolled emotion.

This is just icing on the cake.

And don't forget this little bit...

Oh, the J'Nai episode? Yeah, that one really should've had all-male actors.

It should have. Absolutely. And fair play for Frakes liking that idea.

Also, Frakes is good people, he needs to get more work post-TNG.

He is and he should.

Though he had at least one thoroughly memorable role...

God I loved this show...and so many Trek actors doing voices... Frakes, Marina Sirtis, Brent Spiner, Kate Mulgrew...

Keep in mind btw that OTL DS9 had a lesbian kiss in primetime. Episode Rejoined. They were only barred from making Bashir and Garak canon by Rick Berman and the Suits, too.

I know... Maybe ITTL alt-DS9 will be even more courageous :D

If it's Monday, it's Meet The Press an update to Blue Skies in Camelot!

First, both you and @Nerdman3000 deserve such praise for this pop cultural interlude. Five seasons of Star Trek ITTL is incredible, and the whole sectiom on Townes Van Zandt... I believe we now have a new pairing for this world! Probably not as famous as Hillary Rodham and George W. Bush, but definitely something exciting in the works. As always, can't say enough good things about it.

Well, what can I say? It was great, just great.

Star Trek definitely benefited ITTL, and it’s nice to see another pairing here between musicians.

Thank you so much Aero and ImperialTheorist! :D Thrilled as always that you enjoyed the update. I can't wait to write about Star Trek again, though as the update stated, it will unfortunately be a while before any news on what comes next. :p I will definitely keep up with the careers of the cast in the meantime, though. :)

The first ever Slash Fic writers are gonna be SO fucking happy with that Jane Kirk/Spock kiss..

Oh you know it ;)

BP Booker

Banned
Plus in the 80s we had the first appearance of YA LGBT fiction with Annie On My Mind (which was also notable for the main characters Not F***ing Dying and getting a Happy Ending).

Althou its definitely not YA literature, Maurice by E.M. Foster, published in 1971, had the two main characters happily ever after. Crazy thing is, it was writen in 1913!

Althou its definitely not YA literature, Maurice by E.M. Foster, published in 1971, had the two main characters happily ever after. Crazy thing is, it was writen in 1913!

Wow...hadn’t heard of it before...

and it will most likely published for several more years because 60s instuions and morals have not been properly shaken ITTL.

I’d say it could be published around the same fine as OTL ITTL... Stonewall still happened on time, a major part of gay cinema got released, a lot of the same stuff as OTL happened ITTL - I’d say in general that LGBT rights are at least on track for the same level of progress as OTL. And from hints the OP has dropped, things could be better ITTL :)

Actually... @President_Lincoln , would Dirk Bogarde’s Victim have been released at the same time as OTL?

Good update, @President_Lincoln. The Spock/Kirk kiss (granted, an opposite-sex kiss) will kick off slash fic everywhere, I suspect...

Interesting at seeing all the feuds developing (though, to be fair, Shatner did have those feuds in IOTL; he and Nichelle Nichols didn't get along, as well, to the point that, when he interviewed her for his book Star Trek Memories, she took the opportunity to tell him why she hated him. They both agreed on the interracial kiss in Plato's Stepchildren in spite of their hatred for each other) on Star Trek. Nichelle Nichols considered quitting, but MLK convinced her to stay on, saying that she was a good role model for young children IOTL (1). Did that still happen ITTL?

Nice to see Townes' better career ITTL and his romance with Emmylou Harris; that will be interesting, methinks...

"Here Comes the Sun" was a song written by George Harrison and sung by the Beatles in September of 1969, so congrats for continuing the pattern, @President_Lincoln, and waiting for more...

(1) To quote Whoopi Goldberg: "There's a black lady on TV and she ain't no maid!"

Last edited:
Good update, @President_Lincoln. The Spock/Kirk kiss (granted, an opposite-sex kiss) will kick off slash fic everywhere, I suspect...

Interesting at seeing all the feuds developing (though, to be fair, Shatner did have those feuds in IOTL; he and Nichelle Nichols didn't get along, as well, to the point that, when he interviewed her for his book Star Trek Memories, she took the opportunity to tell him why she hated him. They both agreed on the interracial kiss in Plato's Stepchildren in spite of their hatred for each other) on Star Trek. Nichelle Nichols considered quitting, but MLK convinced her to stay on, saying that she was a good role model for young children IOTL (1). Did that still happen ITTL?

Nice to see Townes' better career ITTL and his romance with Emmylou Harris; that will be interesting, methinks...

"Here Comes the Sun" was a song written by George Harrison and sung by the Beatles in September of 1969, so congrats for continuing the pattern, @President_Lincoln, and waiting for more...

Thank you so much, Unknown! :D I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed the update and that the streak lives on. ;)

To answer your question, Dr. King did in fact still ask Ms. Nichols to stay on the show as a positive role model ITTL.

THe problem with Shatner is that his ego is like that rock he wants to make love to in Star Trek V. It's a towering pillar of uncontained self-regard that looms over his entire personality. Everybody who interacts with him must face it sooner or later.

THe problem with Shatner is that his ego is like that rock he wants to make love to in Star Trek V. It's a towering pillar of uncontained self-regard that looms over his entire personality. Everybody who interacts with him must face it sooner or later.
That's why you need Nicholas Meyer. He is the Shatner Whisperer.

That's why you need Nicholas Meyer. He is the Shatner Whisperer.

Also Leonard Nimoy. He was one of the few people Shatner respected and the two were real friends, but Nimoy was also friends with the rest of the cast - especially after he threatened to walk from TAS unless they got the whole cast back. You need him for it all to run smoothly.