Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

Mark1878

Donor
Wow...hadn’t heard of it before...

I’d say it could be published around the same fine as OTL ITTL... Stonewall still happened on time, a major part of gay cinema got released, a lot of the same stuff as OTL happened ITTL - I’d say in general that LGBT rights are at least on track for the same level of progress as OTL. And from hints the OP has dropped, things could be better ITTL

Actually in this case has anything changed as this is uk not us publishing so things like stonewall are not major drivers of the publishing. Homosexuality was legalised in otl in 1967 and I don’t think the drivers have changed
Wow...hadn’t heard of it before...

I’d say it could be published around the same fine as OTL ITTL... Stonewall still happened on time, a major part of gay cinema got released, a lot of the same stuff as OTL happened ITTL - I’d say in general that LGBT rights are at least on track for the same level of progress as OTL. And from hints the OP has dropped, things could be better ITTL :)

?

Note the book is a UK publication so Stonewall happening or not will not have much effect. The UK event that helped publication was the legalisation of homosexual relations in 1967 and I haven't seen anything to suggest that that would have changed.

Also Leonard Nimoy. He was one of the few people Shatner respected and the two were real friends, but Nimoy was also friends with the rest of the cast - especially after he threatened to walk from TAS unless they got the whole cast back. You need him for it all to run smoothly.
From what I remember, Nimoy and Shatner didn't become friends until later on during the filming of the show (around one of the later seasons IIRC) and even then part of it came from working together and struggling against the producers through the show's ever-present threat of cancellation. More importantly the friendship that they did develop eventually broke apart, so that by the time Nimoy died, he and Shatner hadn't spoken to each other in five years. So the success of the show ITTL could in turn ironically lead to the two's friendship never developing, if not outright becoming a feud as it almost did in OTL, as Shatner's ego would have only gotten worse thanks to the show's success.

Maybe they mend things later on and do end up becoming friends, but the circumstances ITTL I believe would lead to such a friendship only developing after the shows end, unlike OTL.

Last edited:
A big part of it was Star Trek V. Shatner's ego got so out of control and he was so much of a dick in that one that he burned bridges with basically the entire cast. Kelley and Nimoy actually had to strongarm Shatner into rewriting the script so that Spock and McCoy stay loyal to Kirk instead of being brainwashed by Vulcan Moses--the original draft had them flipping dip switches to evil, but Kelley and Nimoy basically said "that's stupid and you're a dick, Bill".

The fact that they had such good on-screen chemistry with Shatner despite how much they hated him off screen is really a testament to how good of actors they all were, and how underrated they are...

So at long last, having marathoned this thread for the past half-week's time, I'm finally caught up from the beginning to the current posts! While a lot of the deep numbers and political background tends to be well over my head, I am very much in love with the setting and the writing with which you've fleshed it out. The research is well-done and the people written about come off as the people they were in our own timeline, rather than fictitious characters wearing plastic masks. I'm also loving the more optimistic (but still measured and dramatic) tone of the thread, since I've taken in a lot of Alternate Timeline/Universe stuff where Kennedy's survival just makes things worse (the afore-mentioned 11/22/63 by Stephen King and the Brave New World RPG Setting for Savage Worlds among them). I'm very much looking forward to seeing this continue! Thank you for being so dedicated in sharing it.

Greetings and salutations, everyone! I hope you all are having a fantastic weekend. :) I just wanted to let you know that my family surprised me with a visit this weekend and thus I was unable to actually do any of the writing I wanted to get done for Blue Skies over the last couple of days. Fear not, however! The next update should be posted by around this Wednesday, if I had to guess. In the meantime, enjoy the rest of your weekends! :D

I wonder how future works like Harry Potter or Half-Life will be affected by this TL's effects, along with horror writers like Stephen King or Junji Ito...

I guess that Lieut Bush and Gore are gonna have to wait another 3 days for that daring rescue
I couldn't resist the urge to turn this into a parody of an '80s action movie.

FIRST BLOOD: A TRUE STORY OF AMERICAN HEROISM!!!!

Brave American warriors John Kerry (Sylvester Stallone) and John McCain (talented newcomer Arnold Schwarznegger) team up with America's Hero, Johnny Rambo (Carl "Sexiest Man Alive" Weathers) in a rip-roaring adventure BASED ON A TRUE STORY!

When McCain's wingman, Vice-President's son George W. Bush (Bruce Willis), is shot down by the dastardly Commies of the Khmer Rouge, along with sheltered rookie Al Gore, McCain thirsts for nothing but RED-BLOODED PATRIOTIC REVENGE! Recruited by America's Hero, Johnny Rambo (fresh from his exciting adventures in
Rambo III: Red Dawn last year), along with heroic Navy officer John Kerry, this patriotic American will transform from ace pilot into all-American BADASS to serve his country and save his friend--before Lieutenant Bush DIES FOR HIS COUNTRY at the hands of the Red menace and their crazed leader, POL POT!

BASED ON A TRUE STORY OF GRIT, GUTS, AND ALL-AMERICAN HEROISM!

STARRING:
CARL WEATHERS as America's Hero, Johnny Rambo
ARNOLD SCHWARZNEGGER as John McCain, American patriot
SYLVESTER STALLONE as John Kerry
CHAN KONG-SAN as Pol Pot, the Red Devil!
BRUCE WILLIS as George W. Bush
DOLPH LUNDGREN as Al Gore
CARY LOWELL as Cindy Shepp
RICHARD CRENNA as President Romney

Last edited:
I wonder how Apple and the development of home computers will be here in 70's, the pioneers of that area as Jobs were influenced by counterculture, which developed differently here. think how crazy it would be if xerox were the equivalent of Apple in the timeline

I wonder how Apple and the development of home computers will be here in 70's, the pioneers of that area as Jobs were influenced by counterculture, which developed differently here. think how crazy it would be if xerox were the equivalent of Apple in the timeline

This is definitely something that I'll have to keep in mind as the 70's roll forward. :)

@President_Lincoln Nice timeline dude! A quick question, since this timeline is called "Bue Skies In Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond" what do you have planned for the 2000s? the 00s are probably my favorite decade tbh, so it will be interesting to see how you take them on.