An MLB Collaborative TL: Piece of Cake: The Cubs win Game 6 in '03

Four picks go, and one is a QB!
Chris Berman: So let’s go to Mel’s big board and you can his best available now are
Alex Smith
Derrick Johnson
Shawn Meriman
Lofa Tatpu
Thomas Davis
Odell Thurman
Jason Campbell
Eramus James

Chris Morterson: Remember the Steelers have said that they would have Matt Schaub under center for the start of the 2005 season so I really don’t think they will take a QB here

Mel Kiper Jr: They have to addresses the receiving needs here so this has to be a depth pick more than a BPA pick

*Later on*

“With the 18th choice in the 2004 NFL Draft the Pittsburgh Steelers select Matt Jones tight end Arkansas”

Chris Berman: So the first tight end taken in this draft is someone who has never played a snap at tight end at all!

Mel Kiper Jr: Yeah Matt Jones was a quarterback at college in Arkansas and very well could have declared as one but people close to him recommend that he should move to be a receiver or tight end in the pros and he did just that

This is gonna be a project that will be timely but there is a chance he will smoothly transition into one. Has the most rushing yards for a SEC quarterback in the conference’s history and while this pick might shocked some people it might work out at the end of all times

*Later on*

Chris Berman: Now finally the Texans are on the clock after they traded down with the Lions and the newest team in the NFL is still trying to find their place in this league

Chris Morterson: You really have to start trying to improve around David Carr or else you don’t have to have your team’s first ever draft pick be the biggest bust you ever had

*Later on*

“With the 19th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Houston Texans select Odell Thurman linebacker Georgia”

Chris Berman: So it’s gonna be Thurman not Thomas Davis that goes first in this draft

Mel Kiper Jr: Well he and Thomas Davis really have been the stars of the Georgia defense the past 2 seasons and they where the 2 players that were not on USC these past 2 seasons that have Auburn the hardest time

I know there was a debate if he would return for his Senior year or not but I think he make the right choice coming out early. The Texans really need the franchise’s first Defensive Star and I believe he can be it

*Later on*

Chris Berman: So it’s pick 20 now with the San Diego Chargers who have 2 picks this draft after the Patriots trade they made last draft so New England could trade up to get Eli Manning at number 1
Drew Brees really improved himself in 2004 and really you are looking at the best team in the AFC West if it isn’t because of the Raiders

Chris Morterson: That said they have the issue of possibly moving to Los Angeles but we shall see what comes of that

*Later on*
“With the 20th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the San Diego Chargers select Derrick Johnson linebacker Texas”

Chris Berman: So the wait ends for Derrick Johnson a player who was seen alongside A.J Hawk as the best linebacker in college football last season

Mel Kiper Jr: Yeah well this is probably the 2nd best steal so far in the first round next to the Giants getting Carlos Rodgers and it will be interesting to see how Johnson will fit in the Chargers defense if it will be a linebacker or does he move to defensive end with them singing Antonio Pierce and then reuniting with Marcellus Wiley this offseason? The Chargers are gonna be a exciting team to watch no matter what city they are gonna play as you have now in your defense with Pierce and Wiley and I almost forgot them stealing away Corey Simon in free agency from the Colts but yeah I think they are close to being set

*Later on*
Chris Berman: Somehow Alex Smith is still on the board not taken what do you think that is? Well our Sal Paolantonio has that answer for us

Sal Paolantonio: Thanks Chris well several NFL team representatives have told me that they worry about Alex Smith’s ability to win big games and that if he was just a problem of a college system back at Utah and concerns about him being built like a NFL quarterback

Several scouts also pointed to the weak performances he had in the Rose Bowl against Ohio State plus compared to someone like Rodgers or White Smith they say that would not take a chance on him in the 1st round if they want someone to start right away from them

However I would be surprised if he is still on the board at the beginning of the 2nd Round

Chris Berman: Thanks Sal now the St Louis Rams are on the clock and they-

Chris Morterson: How on there is another trade and it’s the Baltimore Ravens they are on the clock now!

The Ravens have traded back up to pick 21 and I think they know the reason

*Camera shows the table Alex Smith is sitting at but he is not there*

Chris Morterson: If this is for Alex Smith then good job on Ozzie Newsom right here. Kurt Warner still has some left in the tank but he is gonna be 35 years old in June and I think you have to consider about getting his successor soon

Mel Kiper Jr: No question there I do think that if Smith gonna fall he was gonna be pick by someone who could see him as a project and then have the keys to the offense given to him a few years down the road

*Later on*

“The St Louis Rams have traded the 21st choice of the 2005 NFL Draft to the Baltimore Ravens and with the 21st choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Baltimore Ravens select Alex Smith quarterback Utah.”
*The camera zooms to Alex Smith already with a Ravens hat on*

Chris Berman: So the wait of Alex Smith is over and he is set to join the Baltimore Ravens possibly as their successor to Kurt Warner when it’s all said and done

Mel Kiper Jr: Ok *laugh* and I am not just saying this as a Ravens fan but this is probably going to be the best steal of the on the offensive side of the ball for this 1st Round

Yeah I can see the complains and why Alex Smith slid but with the right coaching and development they are getting someone who will be their quarterback for quite some time
They signed Derrick Manson in free agency and I expect them to go receiver in the 2nd round given what picks they gave up to get here

Chris Morterson: Also new Ravens quarterback coach Rick Neuheisel is no stranger to the Pac 10 which is perfect for him

*Later on*

Chris Morterson: Let’s look at the Rams Ravens trade here

Ravens get
21st overall pick-Alex Smith
2005 7th Rounder

Rams get
29th Overall Pick
2005 3rd Rounder
Kyle Boller

So Kyle Boller who was drafted 2 years ago to possibly be the franchise guy in Baltimore is now set to be in St Louis where he is expected to be the 2nd sting quarterback right being Marc Bulger though he still very well get a 2nd chance in the league there

And remember the Ravens still had 2 second round picks even after this trade

(2005 NFL Draft 1st round results so far)
  1. Lions-Cadillac Williams RB Auburn
  2. Cardinals-Ronnie Brown RB Auburn
  3. 49ers-Mike Williams WR USC
  4. Broncos (From Bears)-Aaron Rodgers QB Cal
  5. Buccaneers-Braylon Edwards WR Michigan
  6. Saints-Troy Williamson WR South Carolina
  7. Redskins-DeMarcus Ware DE Troy State
  8. Bears (From Broncos)-Antrel Rolle CB Miami (FL)
  9. Bills Jammal Brown-OT Oklahoma
  10. Lions (From Texans)-Jason White QB Oklahoma
  11. Chiefs-Alex Baron OT Florida
  12. Panthers-Cedric Benson RB Texas
  13. Cowboys-Travis Johnson DT Florida State
  14. Giants-Carlos Rogers CB Auburn
  15. Jaguars-Adam Jones CB West Virginia
  16. Browns-Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma
  17. Bengals (From Ravens)-A.J Hawk LB Ohio State
  18. Steelers-Matt Jones TE Arkansas
  19. Texans (From Lions)-Odell Thurman LB Georgia
  20. Chargers-Derrick Johnson LB Auburn
  21. Ravens (From Rams)-Alex Smith QB Utah
  22. Seahawks
  23. Chargers (From Patriots)
  24. Titans
  25. Packers
  26. Dolphins
  27. Falcons
  28. Colts
  29. Rams (From Ravens)
  30. Vikings
  31. Eagles
  32. Raiders

Last edited:
First round almost over
“With the 22nd choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Seattle Seahawks select Jason Campbell quarterback Auburn.”

Chris Berman: So we get back to back quarterback picks here in the later part of the 1st round and it’s gonna be Auburn’s Jason Campbell who is the 4th quarterback taken in this round and draft

Chris Morterson: They got rid of Hasselback apparently he reportedly was seen as a “problem” in the locker room and as a leader according to his Seahawk teammates but they used that cap money to franchise tag Walter Jones and give the biggest contract in NFL history for a running back to Shaun Alexander and went out and got Joe Jurevicius and traded for Laveranues Coles

Trent Dilfer is probably gonna start out and have Jason Campbell watch him for the time being

Mel Kiper Jr: Jason Campbell really shot up to being a 1st round guy after the Senior Bowl before afterwards he was seen as 2nd Round and maybe last 1st round guy but he gets 22nd overall in the 1st to Seattle and I believe Mike Holgrem has good things in store for him

*Later on*
“With the 23rd choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the San Diego Chargers select Thomas Davis linebacker Georgia.”

Mel Kiper Jr: Well the 2nd key of that all SEC defense goes and there has been some rumors if he will switch to safety but he is keen on staying at linebacker and it seems like now they want to move Johnson to defensive end as they probably hope for Thomas Davis to be the linebacker that seems what Wade Phillips wants to do

“With the 24th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Tennessee Titans select Fabian Washington cornerback Nebraska “

Chris Berman: The Titans get someone who they hope to fit the new defensive style of new defensive coordinator Chuck Cecil after Jim Schwartz left to be head coach of the University of Florida as they hope to be back in contention for a another Super Bowl ring

*Later on*

“With the 25th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Green Bay Packers select Marlin Jackson cornerback Michigan.”

Chris Berman: So the Packers go safety in back to back drafts in the 1st round

*Later on*
“With the 26th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Miami Dolphins select Heath Miller tight end Virginia.”

Chris Berman: The Dolphins get a new tight end for Tom Brady to throw to and it’s Heath Miller

Mel Kiper Jr: Actually he was my highest ranked tight end and but obviously Matt Jones went first but he is gonna be tight end number 2 in this draft and as the Dolphins become Super Bowl contenders again he will be a nice weapon for Brady to throw to and seems like a guy that is perfect for new Dolphins Offensive Coordinator Josh McDaniels

*Later on*
“With the 27th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Atlanta Falcons select Luis Castillo defensive tackle Northwestern”

Mel Kiper Jr: This is someone I had that could possibly sneak into the 1st round

*Later on*
Chris Morterson: We have a trade to announce and it’s the Miami Dolphins they are back on the clock as they trade with the Colts for the 28th pick.
So 2 picks later that are back on the board

Mel Kiper Jr: I think this has to be offensive tackle or defense like here they of have to have traded up to get someone they really had their eye on just with the Bengals and A.J Hawk

*Later on*
“The Indianapolis Colts have traded with the 28th choice to the Miami Dolphins and with the 28th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Miami Dolphins select Shawne Merriman linebacker Maryland”

Chris Berman: So the wait for Shawn Merriman is over and it looks like the Dolphins who want to built up that defense they really seemed to need that extra linebacker and they have seemed to get in that in Merriman

Mel Kiper Jr: Well Boomer Merriman had several reports of character issues at Maryland and they really hurt his draft stock but a stellar combine performance really saved him from a fall to the 2nd round just like what almost happened here.

Chris Morterson: Let’s look at the Dolphins Colts trade here
Dolphins get
29th overall pick-Shawn Merriman
2005 5th Rounder
2006 7th rounder

Colts get
2 2005 2nd Rounders
Donald Lee

(2005 NFL Draft 1st round results so far)
  22. Seahawks-Jason Campbell QB Auburn
  23. Chargers (From Patriots)-Thomas Davis LB Georgia
  24. Titans-Fabian Washington CB Nebraska
  25. Packers-Marlin Jackson S Michigan
  26. Dolphins-Health Miller TE Virginia
  27. Falcons-Luis Castillo DT Northwestern
  28. Dolphins(From Colts)-Shawne Merriman LB Maryland
  29. Rams (From Ravens)
  30. Vikings
  31. Eagles
  32. Raiders

Last edited:
Surprising that Jason White was taken ahead of Alex Smith, but in my opinion, neither was a first-rounder. Didn't understand why SF took him #1 overall.

Surprising that Jason White was taken ahead of Alex Smith, but in my opinion, neither was a first-rounder. Didn't understand why SF took him #1 overall.
That's very revisionistic history, Alex was very smart and considered the safe but boring pro style QB when people genuinely wondered if Rodgers was just another pac 10 spread QB ((that's why leinart slipped,he was though as a Pete Carroll product), 49ers needed the QB. A RB would be wasting the pick and no one knew DeMarcus would be a hall of famer

In OTL there was a draft day trade if I recall that was close to happening that would have involved the 49ers and Browns swapping Alex Smith and Braylon Edwards

First round over
“With the 29th choice in 2005 NFL Draft the St Louis Rams select Earmus James defensive end Wisconsin.”

Chris Berman: So Earmus James another guy on Mel’s Top 15 big board is taken and I believe you only have 2 to 3 guys left on that list

Mel Kiper Jr: Erasmus James how can I describe him in one word? Ferocious on the line I think the Rams need to reconnect their defense to become contenders again and he is the guy you want to start with

*Later on*
“With the 30th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Minnesota Vikings select Marcus Spears defense end LSU”

Chris Berman: And the wait for Marcus Spears now is over

Mel Kiper Jr: When I think of Spears I really think about his game against Auburn last season the only regular season game Auburn lost in 2004 and how much of a force he was in that game

The Vikings defensive line was the thing that really kept them from getting back to the Super Bowl and they go ahead and fix that right away in the draft

*Later on*
Chris Berman: The Eagles were on the clock but it’s now the New England Patriots on the clock! They didn’t have a 1st round pick in 2005 of course of the Eli Manning trade but they had 2 2005 2nd Rounders thanks to that trade thanks to the trade and that they seemed to use one of them to trade up to this spot

Mel Kiper Jr: I wonder if it’s help on the defense or help for Eli Manning but that seems to be the most likely of 2 reasons
Romeno Crennel is still in the conversation for best defensive coordinator in the league

Chris Morterson: Can’t argue with that I fully believe that New England in the near future can still contend with the Dolphins for the AFC East

*Later on*
“The Philadelphia Eagles have traded the 31st choice in the 2005 NFL Draft to the New England Patriots and with the 31st choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the New England Patriots select Lofa Tatupu linebacker USC.”

Chris Berman: So Tatupu is gonna end up in the 1st round at the end of things and you wanna talk about someone who rose overnight!

Mel Kiper Jr: Yes Boomer Tatupu was the unofficially Defensive MVP of the Orange Bowl National Championship game against Auburn and then he was the unofficial Defensive MVP of the Combine back in February according to several scouts
However while a 1st round pick was possible if he will still seen in a mid to late 2nd round pick but there always that chance of a early 2nd round late 1st round possibility and that is what we can getting after all

*Later on*
Chris Morterson: So here is the trade between the Patriots and Eagles

Patriots get
31st Overall Pick-Lofa Tatupu
2006 6th round pick
2005 4th round pick

Eagles get
2006 2nd rounder
Roman Phifer

Chris Morterson: It looks like Roman Phifer will head to the Eagles in this trade where he hopes to mentor the defense there for if they draft someone like that later on in this draft

*Later on*
Chris Berman: Alright it’s time for the defending Super Bowl champion the Oakland Raiders to close out the 1st round
The Raiders have lot to rebuild on offense as they lost Rich Gannon and Jerry Rice to retirement however they got back Tim Brown another possible first ballot Hall of Famer for possibly his farewell season and they signed Matt Hasselback to a big deal and they hope for him to be the new franchise guy

Chris Morterson: I still fully believe they are the team to beat in the AFC as the defense is still they just need to rebuild the offense so let’s see what they do right here

“With the 32nd choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Oakland Raiders select Roddy White wide receiver UAB
That is the end of the 1st round of the 2005 NFL Draft we will take a break and then start the 2nd round thank you.”

Chris Berman: We start the 1st Round with someone from an Alabama college and then we end the 1st Round with someone from a Alabama college
It looks like Roddy White will the guy they hope to be their future top wideout in Oakland

(Final results of the 2005 NFL Draft 1st round results)
  22. Seahawks-Jason Campbell QB Auburn
  23. Chargers (From Patriots)-Thomas Davis LB Georgia
  24. Titans-Fabian Washington CB Nebraska
  25. Packers-Marlin Jackson S Michigan
  26. Dolphins-Health Miller TE Virginia
  27. Falcons-Luis Castillo DT Northwestern
  28. Dolphins(From Colts)-Shawne Merriman LB Maryland
  29. Rams (From Ravens)-Earmus James-DE Wisconsin
  30. Vikings-Marcus Spears DE LSU
  31. Patriots(From Eagles)-Lofa Tatupu LB USC
  32. Raiders-Roddy White WR UAB

Last edited:
Premier League Title Race, March
March 5, 2005: The Premier League title race rolls on, with the top 3 remaining intact from the previous Matchday.

Table before Matchday 29

1. Arsenal: 76 points
2. Liverpool: 74 points
3. Manchester United: 73 points

We will start with Manchester United, who host mid-table Portsmouth. The result is the exact one expected of United, as they get goals from Christiano Ronaldo and Alan Smith in the 2-0 win, temporarily putting them and Arsenal level at the top of the table. That wouldn’t last, however, as the Gunners would collect a 1-0 win over Sheffield United, thanks to a Quincy Owusu-Abeyie goal in the nineteenth minute. At the same time, Liverpool would also win, beating Crystal Palace 3-1 behind a Milan Baros hat-trick.

March 19, 2005: Matchday 30 of the Premier League season arrives, and this one brings us a huge match in the title race

Table before Matchday 30

1. Arsenal: 79 points
2. Liverpool: 77 points
Manchester United: 76 points

We’ll start in Merseyside, where Liverpool meet the surprise of the year, Charlton Athletic. Due to Charlton focusing their attention on the UEFA Cup, they play a more rotated squad, and this makes the task easier for Liverpool, who get a 2-0 victory with goals from Djimi Traore and Jamie Carragher.

March 20, 2005: Arsenal begin todays matches against Bolton Wanderers. The game starts poorly for Arsenal, as Welshman Gary Speed scores a screamer from 35 yards away, and Bolton are able to shut down the Gunners attack for the majority of the match. However, the Arsenal attack wakes up, and Thierry Henry and Gael Clichy score two goals, in the 81st and 89th minute, respectively. Arsenal win the match, 2-1. The final team in this equation, Manchester United, play a huge match against Chelsea. Didier Drogba starts the match with a bang, chipping Tim Howard for the opening goal in the eleventh minute. Manchester United fail to respond, until the 47th minute, as Rio Ferdinand thunders a header into the top corner off a free kick. Unfortunately for the Red Devils, Drogba wasn’t quite done scoring, as he finishes a wonderful passing sequence with a tap-in goal in the 76th minute. Chelsea are able to close out the win, and grab a 2-1 victory, moving them just one point behind Manchester United in third.

Final March Table
1. Arsenal: 82 points
2. Liverpool: 80 points
3. Manchester United: 76 points
4. Chelsea: 75 points

March 5, 2005: The Premier League title race rolls on, with the top 3 remaining intact from the previous Matchday.

Table before Matchday 29

1. Arsenal: 76 points
2. Liverpool: 74 points
3. Manchester United: 73 points

We will start with Manchester United, who host mid-table Portsmouth. The result is the exact one expected of United, as they get goals from Christiano Ronaldo and Alan Smith in the 2-0 win, temporarily putting them and Arsenal level at the top of the table. That wouldn’t last, however, as the Gunners would collect a 1-0 win over Sheffield United, thanks to a Quincy Owusu-Abeyie goal in the nineteenth minute. At the same time, Liverpool would also win, beating Crystal Palace 3-1 behind a Milan Baros hat-trick.

March 19, 2005: Matchday 30 of the Premier League season arrives, and this one brings us a huge match in the title race

Table before Matchday 30

1. Arsenal: 79 points
2. Liverpool: 77 points
Manchester United: 76 points

We’ll start in Merseyside, where Liverpool meet the surprise of the year, Charlton Athletic. Due to Charlton focusing their attention on the UEFA Cup, they play a more rotated squad, and this makes the task easier for Liverpool, who get a 2-0 victory with goals from Djimi Traore and Jamie Carragher.

March 20, 2005: Arsenal begin todays matches against Bolton Wanderers. The game starts poorly for Arsenal, as Welshman Gary Speed scores a screamer from 35 yards away, and Bolton are able to shut down the Gunners attack for the majority of the match. However, the Arsenal attack wakes up, and Thierry Henry and Gael Clichy score two goals, in the 81st and 89th minute, respectively. Arsenal win the match, 2-1. The final team in this equation, Manchester United, play a huge match against Chelsea. Didier Drogba starts the match with a bang, chipping Tim Howard for the opening goal in the eleventh minute. Manchester United fail to respond, until the 47th minute, as Rio Ferdinand thunders a header into the top corner off a free kick. Unfortunately for the Red Devils, Drogba wasn’t quite done scoring, as he finishes a wonderful passing sequence with a tap-in goal in the 76th minute. Chelsea are able to close out the win, and grab a 2-1 victory, moving them just one point behind Manchester United in third.

Final March Table
1. Arsenal: 82 points
2. Liverpool: 80 points
3. Manchester United: 76 points
4. Chelsea: 75 points
Damn, it is looking very tight. Go Reds!

That's very revisionistic history, Alex was very smart and considered the safe but boring pro style QB when people genuinely wondered if Rodgers was just another pac 10 spread QB ((that's why leinart slipped,he was though as a Pete Carroll product), 49ers needed the QB. A RB would be wasting the pick and no one knew DeMarcus would be a hall of famer
I thought that at the time. I wasn't high on Smith even back then.

I thought that at the time. I wasn't high on Smith even back then.
Alex Smith was a good QB, but the fact he was picked over Aaron Rodgers, as well as his injury, makes his legacy different than what it really should be, which is a very solid, but unremarkable, QB.

First round analysis
Trey Wingo: Thanks Boomer back here in the NFL Live room with Merlin Hodge,Randy Muller and Ron Jaworski gentleman thoughts after this exciting 1st round what do you expect for round 2?

Merlin Hodge: I think it will be interesting to see who the first quarterback of round 2 will be you got Derek Anderson from Oregon State,Charlie Frye from Akron,Brock Berlin from Miami (FL) and the interesting case of Adrian McPherson

Trey Wingo: Please tell us for the people who don’t know

Merlin Hodge: Well he was a quarterback for Florida State in 2001 and 2002 but was dismissed from the team after being caught in a gambling scheme so he misses the 2003 NCAA season and ends up getting drafted by the Buccaneers in last years supplemental draft as a defensive back but he declines as the Buccaneers don’t know he’s been playing in NFL Europe with the Amsterdam Admirals for the past nearly 2 years and after much debate he was declared eligible for the 2005 NFL Draft

Randy Muller: And I believe he is leading a undefeated team there and is seen as the best QB in that league

Merlin Hodge: Yeah so it’s interesting and with that the Buccaneers lost a 2005 mid round pick

Ron Jaworski: I really do think that the Cardinals need to take a quarterback in the 2nd and 3rd and get a possible successor for Troy Akiman just like the Ravens did with Alex Smith

Randy Muller: Also the Packers with Brett Favre thinking about retirement every offseason maybe them too

Trey Wingo: So folks best player still on the board going into Round 2?

Merlin Hodge: Derek Anderson or Rosco Parrish the wide receiver/kick returner from Miami (FL) who will give the team whoever drafts them a big boost in special teams

Ron Jaworski: I would add Barrett Rudd linebacker from Nebraska I get Urlacher vibes from him also Logan Mankins guard from Fresno State

Trey Wingo: Who won the first round?

Randy Muller: I think it has to be the Broncos for them being able to trade to get a guy that is gonna be the franchise’s new face for awhile Aaron Rodgers

Merlin Hodge: I think it’s the Dolphins for them to get a new target for Tom Brady in Heath Miller and then trading up to go ahead and get Shawne Merriman and build their defense

I think they are the biggest threats to Oakland next season in the AFC

Ron Jaworski: It has to be the Ravens trading down and up and getting all those picks which ends with them getting Alex Smith who I won’t be surprised is the starter in the 2006 season

Trey Wingo: Well thanks guys back to you Boomer as Round 2 starts

D1 shift continues
April 26th, 2005: Florida International and Western Kentucky announce that they will be moving up to Division 1 in Football. Later that day, ESPN reports that South Dakota State, NJIT, and Presbyterian have plans to move up to Division 1 in all sports except Football.

April 28th, 2005: In an inverse case of recent news, Centenary has announced that they will be moving down to Division 3 starting next year.

Last edited:
April 26th, 2005: Florida International and Western Kentucky announce that they will be moving up to Division 1 in Football. Later that day, ESPN reports that North Dakota State, South Dakota State, NJIT, and Presbyterian have plans to move up to Division 1 in all sports except Football.

April 28th, 2005: In an inverse case of recent news, Centenary has announced that they will be moving down to Division 3 starting next year.
Just to let you know, NDSU is moving up to D1 football, they’re joining the Great West with some schools that are also adding football (UMKC, Gonzaga, and Oral Roberts. Bradley joining the Gateway Conference)

Second Round Starts
Chris Berman: Thanks Trey we just had pick 33 happen as you guys talked happened
Pick 33 the Houston Texans took Chris Spencer Center from Ole Miss

Mel Kiper Jr: Good on the Texans for bolstering their defensive line and now their offensive line

He felt like the best offensive lineman Eli Manning had in 2003 but the question now is how will he do when it comes to protecting David Carr?

He is the best Center on the board and the 5th best Offensive Lineman

The Texans are hoping for for Carr to repeat or come close to his solid 2004 season or close they will probably be looking at against signal caller around this time next year

Chris Berman: Alright let’s go to Gene Washington who will announce the 34th overall pick by the Arizona Cardinals

“With the 34th selection in the 2005 NFL Draft the Arizona Cardinals select Derek Anderson quarterback Oregon State”

Chris Berman: So the 5th quarterback taken in this draft and the first quarterback taken in the late part of Day 2 is Oregon State’s Derek Anderson

Mel Kiper Jr: Well Boom Derek Anderson as the beginning of last season was seen as a 7th round-undrafted free agency type of guy but then 1st game of the season they go ahead and shock 5th ranked LSU on the road and Anderson ends up having a lights out game

He was really overshadowed by Matt Leinart and Aaron Rodgers in the PAC 10 but he still put scouts on notice
They barley lost to Cal and USC but was thanks to Anderson leadership and ability they were able to keep close in that game

In the rivalry game against Oregon he led them to a game winning drive and with that he got some Heisman votes

I had him higher than Jason Campbell on my board and I am surprised that Anderson is taken after Campbell

Chris Morterson: And he gets to sit behind Troy Aikman or a season or 2 and I think that will really help his delivery
I fully believe that the Cardinals got their future quarterback here

Mel Kiper Jr: Yeah running back of the future and quarterback of the future in rounds 1 and 2

*Later on*

Chris Berman: The 3rd overall pick came in the for the San Francisco 49ers and it’s them taking Brodney Pool safety from Oklahoma

Mel Kiper Jr: This is a easily a guy who could have easily sneaked into the 1st round but he ends up as a early 2nd round pick to the 49ers as they end up starting to built their future defense

He was the guy who made that interception in the Double Overtime game against Texas which won them the game

He also saved them back in the 2003 Big 12 championship game as a sophomore when Kansas State nearly beat them so he has been proven to be clutch in the right moments so I like this pick here

*Later on*
“With the 36th pick in the 2005 NFL Draft The Chicago Bears select Barrett Rudd”

Mel Kiper Jr: Barrett Rudd is someone who should have returned for his Senior year as I think that would have helped him being a first round talent but he declares as a Junior and still goes in the 2nd Round

This proves that no matter how good your defense is you always have to have depth on it and that’s what the Bears are getting here in the 2nd round not someone that is gonna made a impact right away but depth to help our your team and that’s not a bad thing at all and Rudd is not a bad player at all so that is why he probably gets picked in the 2nd round

*Later on*
Chris Berman: Alright welcome back from commercial break and as pick 37 the Buccaneers take David Bass C from Michigan and at pick 38 there has been a trade as the Texans get back on the clock and take Mike Patterson defensive tackle from USC

Mel Kiper Jr: David Bass was one of the few remaining 1st round graded players left in the board as this is a needed upgrade for the Buccaneers offensive line no matter who the quarterback is

*Later on*
Mel Kiper Jr: Patterson is another one of my last remaining first rounded graded players left. There’s a good chance in this Texans system we might see him switch over to a defensive end limited or not

Texans last season allowed the most rushing years in the league and it seems in this draft they want to focus on fixing that problem

Chris Morterson: So
The Texans get
38th overall pick-Mike Patterson
2005 4th Rounder

The Saints get
43rd overall pick
2005 5th Rounder

*Later on*
“With the 39th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Washington Redskins select Eric Green cornerback Indiana”

Mel Kiper Jr: I actually had a 3rd to 4th round grade on Green as he has shown potential I mean look at the game against Miami but he needs some more coaching and development if he wants to have a solid career in the NFL

*Later on*
“With the 40th choice in the 2095 NFL Draft the Denver Broncos select Logan Mankins guard Fresno State”

Mel Kiper Jr: Here is someone that makes me jaw drop the fact that he fell to pick 40! *laugh* I have 2 remaining 1st round graded players left on my board after this select and he is gonna give good support for Aaron Rodgers in Denver

If I had a comparison for him in the NFL it would have to be someone like Steve Hutchinson
They got their franchise quarterback and they got someone now who could be their franchise lineman soon

Chris Morterson: Definitely the steal of the 2nd round so far

(2nd Round Results so far)
33.Texans-Chris Spencer C Ole Miss
34.Cardinals-Derek Anderson QB Oregon State
35.49ers-Bordney Pool S Oklahoma
36.Bears-Barrett Rudd LB Nebraska
37.Buccaneers-David Bass C Michigan
38.Texans-Mike Patterson DT USC
39.Redskins-Eric Green CB Virginia Tech
40.Broncos-Logan Mankins G Fresno State

Water Polo!
April 29th, 2005: ESPN reports that the NCAA are planning to expand the Men's and Women's water polo tournaments from 4 teams to 16. Also reported was that the NCAA are going to overhaul the system of Water Polo, so that more schools could have water polo programs, leading to an increase in teams in what ESPN says is a "dying sport".

April 30th, 2005: Following up on yesterday's reports, at least part of the report was correct, as 7 college announced their intentions to add Water Polo to their sports programs.

Those 7 colleges are:

Providence
Air Force
UNLV
Colorado State
St. John's
UMKC
Wofford