An MLB Collaborative TL: Piece of Cake: The Cubs win Game 6 in '03

2nd round continues
*Later on*
“With the 41st choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Buffalo Bills select Shaun Cody defensive tackle

Chris Berman: The Bills go ahead with their Pat Williams replacement who went ahead and signed a deal this offseason with the New England Patriots

Mel Kiper Jr: He was my 3rd defensive tackle on my board and he was the 2nd to last 1st Round graded pick to be on this board
Funny enough the last remaining guy on here I had a 1st round grade is also named Cody and that is Dan Cody another DE/DT hybrid from Oklahoma

*Later on*
“With the 42nd choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the New Orleans Saints select Evan Mathis G Alabama”

Chris Berman: So the Saints continue to build their offense for their new head coach Brad Childress as they hold to try to also build around quarterback Aaron Brooks

Mel Kiper Jr: They still have not been still trying to find a replacement for Willie Roaf but I think they could have found it here with Evan Mathis

*Later on*

“With the 43rd pick in the NFL Draft the Kansas City Chiefs select Eric Shelton running back Louisville”

Chris Berman: Eric Shelton is the 4th running back taken in this draft as he goes to Kansas City possible as the future after Priest Holmes?

Mel Kiper Jr: I don’t dislike the pick but I would have gone with Frank Gore from Miami here thought it will be interesting as this is a pick here for someone to develop under Priest Holmes in KC

*Later on*

“With the 44th pick in the 2005 NFL Draft the Carolina Panthers select Rosco Parrish wide receiver Miami”

Chris Berman: The Panthers find someone to have if Muhsin Muhammad does not return the following season after this one after he resigned for the Panthers for a 1 year deal

Mel Kiper Jr: Not only are the Panthers getting a ACC 1st Team receiver here they are getting a really valuable kick returner here. I know they lost the Sugar Bowl against Oklahoma but that opening kickoff return he had that nearly went to the end zone was probably the play of that game and hopefully we see that with him in the NFL now

*Later on*

“With the 45th pick in the 2005 NFL Draft the Dallas Cowboys select Reggie Brown WR Georgia”

Mel Kiper Jr: The Cowboys could have gone quarterback here but they go ahead and get a WR1 possibly here for Quincy Carter if they want to give him another try at quarterback

*Later on*
“With the 46th pick in the 2005 NFL Draft the New York Giants select Bryan McFadden cornerback Florida State”

Chris Berman: The Giants went cornerback in the first round and then in the 2nd round they got cornerback again

*Later on*
“With the 46th pick in the 2005 NFL Draft the Jacksonville Jaguars select Michael Roos tackle Eastern Washington”

Chris Berman: So the Jaguars take the first Division 1-AA player off the board in Michael Roos from Eastern Washington
Also he has to be the first player ever from Estiona right?

Mel Kiper Jr: Well *laugh* he’s the highest and one of the now several people in Eastern Washington history that can say “I got drafted into the NFL”

*Later on*
“With the 47th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Cleveland Browns select Ernest Shazor safety Michigan”

Chris Berman: Now some Browns fans who are also Ohio State fans might boo this pick but this is a solid choice for a 2nd rounder

Mel Kiper Jr: I do think that he should have returned for his senior season but still he goes mid on in the 2nd rounder and he’s a nice player to upgrade the Browns secondary

*Later on*
“With the 48th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Baltimore Ravens select Khalif Barnes tackle Washington”

Chris Berman: So Ravens plan to help out Kurt Warner and in the future Alex Smith with your top tackle left on the board

Mel Kiper Jr: Yes I had him as a 2nd rounder just because he only had 1 year of massive impact last season however the Ravens need to start thinking about their Jonathan Ogden replacement as he turns 31 in July so this need has to be taken care of

*Later on*
Chris Morterson: The Colts have traded up with the Steelers as they are currently on the clock now
Colts have 3 2nd Rounders are they seemed to have at least one less now because of this trade

*Later on*
“With the 49th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Indianapolis Colts from the Pittsburgh Steelers select Ryan Moats running back Louisiana Tech”

Chris Berman: The Colts trade up and get a running back to help them pair up with Lamont Jordan

Mel Kiper Jr: Ryan Moats was seen a 3rd to 5th round pick until he had one of the most talked about performances at the combine in February and that’s the reason he goes here in the 2nd round

Chris Morterson here’s the Colts Steelers trade breakdown
Colts get
49th overall pick-Ryan Moats
2006 6th Rounder

Steelers
56th overall pick
2005 5th Rounder
Dominic Rhodes

*Later on*

Chris Berman: For the first time in this draft the New York Jets are ready to pick for the 1st time in the draft

“With the 50th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the New York Jets select Alex Smith tight end Stanford”

Chris Berman: Yes you heard that right they have taken Alex Smith but no it’s not the same Alex Smith the quarterback from Utah this Alex Smtih is a tight end from YouTube

Mel Kiper Jr: Good on the Jets for getting help for Ben Roethlisberger right here
His name kinda got lost because of his name but he’s one of the better tight end in my draft and as a matter of a fact he is my 3rd ranked tight end in this class

*Later on*
Chris Morterson: There is a trade now and it’s a repeat of last year as the New England Patriots are on the clock as they up for pick 51
*Later on*
“The New England Patriots now have the 51st choice from the San Diego Chargers and with the 51st choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the New England Patriots select Frank Gore running back Miami”

Chris Berman: The New England Patriots have traded to get a running back despite having Corey Dillion but is going to be 31 in August and despite a Pro Bowl season in 2004 he did miss the Wild Card game and the final game of the season and has shown injury concerns so it’s nice of the Patriots here to get insurance

Mel Kiper Jr: Frank Gore is someone who should have honestly been an early to mid 2nd round pick!
If it wasn’t for injury problems and a torn ACL in the 2003 season and him not being fully healthy until last season you are possibly talking about a 1st rounder here after what we saw in 2004 and you add that for his 1st 3 seasons

If he develops for a year or 2 behind Corey Dillon you are talking about a team that has him as a franchise running back for quite sometime

Chris Morterson: Here is the trade results

Patriots receive
51st overall pick-Frank Gore
2006 7th rounder

Chargers
54th overall pick
2005 6th rounder
Patrick Pass

Last edited:
2nd round concludes
Chris Berman: Welcome back from break picks 52 to 54 have gone by starting with The Rams at 52 taking Justin Tuck defensive end from Notre Dame,
Seahawks at 53 take Adam Terry offensive tackle from Syracuse
and finally at pick 54 the Chargers take Marcus Johnson from Ole Miss
About 7 Miami Hurricanes have gone in this draft so far

Mel Kiper Jr: Lets start out with Justin Tuck going to the Rams this is someone who I had a first round grade on before the injury and it showed when he was healthy
He was being called by scouts the unofficial Senior Bowl Defensive MVP even though his team lost

The Rams are trying to rebuild the Defense of the Greatest Show on Turf days with Earmus James and now this pick with Justin Tuck Alright next Pick 53 the Seahawks take Adam Terry from Syracuse to help them get more protection for Jason Campbell

Pick 54 it’s nice to see the Chargers build protection around Drew Brees cause that is what they need to do if they want to be their long time quarterback
Maybe next in the 3rd round get some receiving help

*Later on*
“With the 55th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Tennessee Titans select Jerome Mattis wide receiver Hampton”

Chris Berman: Jerome Mathis is the 2nd player from a Divison II-A school to be taken in this draft

Mel Kiper Jr : I think one of the main reasons we didn’t see the Titans go back to the Super Bowl is the lack of depth at Wide Receiver and now they lost Derrick Mason but however they do get a solid replacement here in Jermome Mathis and he is also someone that is gonna help you out in the retiring game mainly punt returning

“With the 56th pick in the 2005 NFL Draft the Green Back Packers select Charlie Frye QB Akron”

Chris Berman: So here is quarterback number 2 of the Round number 2 and it’s Charlie Frye from Akron

Mel Kiper Jr: Well a lot of team representatives told me that he was the best quarterback at the Senior Bowl got a lot of hype after that
Started 4 straight years at Akron and has every single quarterback record you can think of there

Chris Morterson: I think this is a perfect place for him as Brett Favre who’s 36 had that injury last season and really one of these seasons could be his last

I think with the right coaching you are looking at him taking his place fully once that time come in Green Bay

*Later on*
“With the 56th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Indianapolis Colts select Mike Nugent kicker Ohio State”

Chris Morterson: So a kicker in the 2nd round hun?

Mel Kiper Jr: Well to be fair this is someone that had been being considered in the 2nd and 3rd round range and it makes sense we see Indianapolis take a chance on a kicker given the inconsistency we have seen with Mike Vanderjagt

Remember we got a kicker and punter in the 3rd round last year?

Chris Morterson: True true and the tape for him shows it

Mel Kiper Jr: Remember in 2003 he was perfect and had no misses in any extra point or field goal and did not miss a single extra point for his Junior and Senior year and if you are a NFL that you feel that is already built for championship contention then maybe it wouldn’t hurt to take a chance on something like this so I understand the pick

*Later on*
“With the 58th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Atlanta Falcons select Math Roth defensive end Iowa”

*Later on*
“With the 59th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Pittsburgh Steelers select Vernand Morency running back”

Chris Berman: So the Steelers trade down once again and get a running who they hope to replace Jerome Bettis in a season or 2

“With the 60th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Cincinnati Bengals select Marion Barber running back Minnesota”

Chris Berman: So the 5th running back taken in this draft and 2nd running back in a row goes off the board here

Chris Morterson: Yeah remember Eddie George is 32 and this very well could be his final year and will retirement for good this time after this season so get someone in the future you can team up with Stephen Jackson

*Later on*
“With the 61st choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Minnesota Vikings select Stanford Routt cornerback Houston”

*Later on*
“With the 62nd choice of the 2005 NFL Draft the New York Jets select Mark Bradley wide receiver Oklahoma.”

Chris Berman: So more receiving help for Rothlisberger here

*With the 63rd choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Philadelphia Eagles select Vincent Jackson wide receiver Northern Colorado”

*Later on*
“With the 64th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Oakland Raiders select Kevin Burnett linebacker Tennessee”

Chris Berman: And that does it for the 2nd half! It’s starts with a SEC player and it ends with a SEC player
*Later on*

Chris Berman: Alright we are going go on break and then it’s the start of the 3rd and final round of Day 1 of the draft

Round three begins
Chris Berman: Welcome back to the NFL Draft as Round 3 is about to start with the Lions with the 65th pick

“With the 65th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Detroit Lions select Matt Cassell wide receiver USC”

Chris Berman: So Round 3 begins with Matt Cassell someone who was a QB at USC for 4 years and never started a game at quarterback goes ahead for his professional career and changes his position to wide receiver to go on and become the MVP of the Senior Bowl back in January

Mel Kiper Jr: Well he did see action later on playing tight end and wide receiver last season and actually had 3 recorded receptions
When it comes to the NFL I can see him being like a Deion Branch type receiver

The Lions need more wide receiver depth and given that he reunite with Norm Chow and Lane Kiffin in Detroit I think

*Later on*
“With the 66th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Arizona Cardinals select Josh Bullocks safety Nebraska.”

*Later on*
“With the 67th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the San Francisco 49ers select David Greene quarterback Georgia”

Chris Berman: So the 1st quarterback taken in this round is David Greene

Mel Kiper Jr: Yeah Boomer this is somehow that ended his college career as the all time passing yards in SEC history

I didn’t expect him to see him go before someone like Brock Berlin,Adrian McPherson or Kyle Orton but that seems to be the case

He’s got a decent arm and the right legwork however that said I don’t you are looking at a starting quarterback here but rather you are looking at someone that is gonna be a solid and reliable backup QB for your team down the road as does have a interception program and in big games it showed so I don’t expect him to be leading a offense anytime soon

That said he could be a solid QB number 2 for a team down the road and that’s what you could be getting from a quarterback in these mid to late rounds

Chris Morterson: I don’t think pick takes away from a possible quarterback pick in the 1st round of the next draft

*Later on*
Chris Berman: Thanks Trey and the gang well pick 68th has happened by the Denver Broncos as they take Nick Collins from historical Bethune Cookman

Mel Kiper Jr: Good on the Broncos for getting safety depth here
This was something they showed was very lacking on the defensive side of the ball
I had Collins as a early to mid 2nd rounder so good value here by the Broncos

Chris Berman: And while that happened pick 69 is the Buccaneers taking Dan Cody from Oklahoma
Mel your first round rated guy is finally off the board

Mel Kiper Jr: Well the Buccaneers lack of Warren Sapp really showed last season and I do believe this is someone who could very well be the replacement for Sapp down the road

This is one of the biggest steals of the draft so far and he fits the defensive scheme of new Buccaneers defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin

*Later on*
Alright in the meantime it’s picks 70 and 71 and at pick 70 it’s the Saints taking Kevin Everett tight end from Miami FL

Mel Kiper Jr: Well more receiver depth here for the Saints they do not have a strong tight end core what so ever so they go ahead and fix that with Kevin Everett from Miami

Ok Pick 71 the Redskins take Courtney Roby wide receiver from Indiana

Mel Kiper Jr: Well Washington has to be consider him as their possible replacement for Lavernous Coles
He may need to hit the weights more but with that he could have a solid career in the NFL

*Later on*
Chris Berman: Alright as you were talking the Broncos with their 2nd 3rd round pick took Matt McCoy linebacker from San Diego State with Pick 72

*Later on*
Chris Berman: Alright next at pick 73 it’s the Bills taking Darrent Williams cornerback from Oklahoma State

*Later on*
Chris Berman: Houston Texans at pick 74 take Chris Henry wide receiver from West Virginia

*Later on*
Chris Berman: Pick 75 is the Chiefs taking Chris Colmer tackle from NC State

Mel Kiper Jr: Well the Chiefs remember I said earlier than 2 of their top offensive lineman are 33 and 35 well the Chiefs want to continue protecting their future it seems like and the thing about Colmer is that he can shift into guard sometimes which is needed because who knows how long Will Shields has left

Chris Berman: Welcome back to the NFL Draft as Round 3 is about to start with the Lions with the 65th pick

“With the 65th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Detroit Lions select Matt Cassell wide receiver USC”

Chris Berman: So Round 3 begins with Matt Cassell someone who was a QB at USC for 4 years and never started a game at quarterback goes ahead for his professional career and changes his position to wide receiver to go on and become the MVP of the Senior Bowl back in January

Mel Kiper Jr: Well he did see action later on playing tight end and wide receiver last season and actually had 3 recorded receptions
When it comes to the NFL I can see him being like a Deion Branch type receiver

The Lions need more wide receiver depth and given that he reunite with Norm Chow and Lane Kiffin in Detroit I think

*Later on*
“With the 66th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Arizona Cardinals select Josh Bullocks safety Nebraska.”

*Later on*
“With the 67th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the San Francisco 49ers select David Greene quarterback Georgia”

Chris Berman: So the 1st quarterback taken in this round is David Greene

Mel Kiper Jr: Yeah Boomer this is somehow that ended his college career as the all time passing yards in SEC history

I didn’t expect him to see him go before someone like Brock Berlin,Adrian McPherson or Kyle Orton but that seems to be the case

He’s got a decent arm and the right legwork however that said I don’t you are looking at a starting quarterback here but rather you are looking at someone that is gonna be a solid and reliable backup QB for your team down the road as does have a interception program and in big games it showed so I don’t expect him to be leading a offense anytime soon

That said he could be a solid QB number 2 for a team down the road and that’s what you could be getting from a quarterback in these mid to late rounds

Chris Morterson: I don’t think pick takes away from a possible quarterback pick in the 1st round of the next draft

*Later on*
Chris Berman: Thanks Trey and the gang well pick 68th has happened by the Denver Broncos as they take Nick Collins from historical Bethune Cookman

Mel Kiper Jr: Good on the Broncos for getting safety depth here
This was something they showed was very lacking on the defensive side of the ball
I had Collins as a early to mid 2nd rounder so good value here by the Broncos

Chris Berman: And while that happened pick 69 is the Buccaneers taking Dan Cody from Oklahoma
Mel your first round rated guy is finally off the board

Mel Kiper Jr: Well the Buccaneers lack of Warren Sapp really showed last season and I do believe this is someone who could very well be the replacement for Sapp down the road

This is one of the biggest steals of the draft so far and he fits the defensive scheme of new Buccaneers defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin

*Later on*
Alright in the meantime it’s picks 70 and 71 and at pick 70 it’s the Saints taking Kevin Everett tight end from Miami FL

Mel Kiper Jr: Well more receiver depth here for the Saints they do not have a strong tight end core what so ever so they go ahead and fix that with Kevin Everett from Miami

Ok Pick 71 the Redskins take Courtney Roby wide receiver from Indiana

Mel Kiper Jr: Well Washington has to be consider him as their possible replacement for Lavernous Coles
He may need to hit the weights more but with that he could have a solid career in the NFL

*Later on*
Chris Berman: Alright as you were talking the Broncos with their 2nd 3rd round pick took Matt McCoy linebacker from San Diego State with Pick 72

*Later on*
Chris Berman: Alright next at pick 73 it’s the Bills taking Darrent Williams cornerback from Oklahoma State

*Later on*
Chris Berman: Houston Texans at pick 74 take Chris Henry wide receiver from West Virginia

*Later on*
Chris Berman: Pick 75 is the Chiefs taking Chris Colmer tackle from NC State

Mel Kiper Jr: Well the Chiefs remember I said earlier than 2 of their top offensive lineman are 33 and 35 well the Chiefs want to continue protecting their future it seems like and the thing about Colmer is that he can shift into guard sometimes which is needed because who knows how long Will Shields has left
Hope Chris Henry avoids his death ITTL

NBA Playoffs round 1
Recapping round 1 of the NBA Playoffs

Eastern Conference

(E1) Raptors-(E8) Nets: Shaq, Nash, and Bosh led the Toronto Raptors to the top seed in the east, giving them a first round matchup with the division rival New Jersey Nets. Shaq dominated Game 1, scoring 34 points in the 96-78 Raptors win. The Nets would surprise Toronto, taking Game 2, 88-83, behind an unlikely 23 points from Ron Mercer. Game 3 and Game 4 would each be Raptors wins, 102-89 and 94-75, respectively. In Game 5, New Jersey managed to keep it close, until 14 fourth quarter points from Shaq helped the Raptors win, 92-85, and advance to the second round.
Raptors win series 4-1

(E4) Celtics-(E5) Cavaliers: This series is contested between two dominant wings, LeBron James and Paul Pierce. The series was to begin in Boston, with the Celtics winning Game 1, 100-92, behind 29 points from Pierce. Game 2 would not be nearly as close, with the C’s getting a double-double from rookie Sebastian Telfair in the 107-79 win. Heading to Cleveland, James and Co. get some aid from the home crowd, LeBron scores 33 points, and the Cavs win, 90-78. Game 4 would be another Cleveland victory, with Dwight Howard scoring 20 points and grabbing 14 rebounds in the 86-80 triumph. Game 5 would be a different story, with veteran guard Gary Payton returning to prime form, scoring 17 and dishing out 12 assists, as well as clinching the victory by swiping the ball from Eric Snow in the final seconds of an 87-84 Boston win. Also notable from this game was an injury to Dwight Howard, that is expected to keep him out until the Conference Finals, should the Cavs even make it. Game 6 signaled a return to Boston, but LeBron James went out like a man on a mission. The man picked to be Jordan’s successor showed the world why that is the case, scoring a career-high 55 points as Cleveland won, 109-93. Game 7 would be a nail-biter. Pierce would hit a jumper with 12 second left to tie the game at 85-85. Calling timeout, Cleveland would draw up a play for LeBron. He would get the ball, drive left, spin, and bank the jumper over Pierce as the buzzer sounds, winning the game, as well as the series, for Cleveland, and ruining the Celtics chances at returning to the Finals.
Cavaliers win series 4-3

(E3) Heat-(E6) Bucks: This series would see Michael Redd, Jamal Crawford and the Bucks face off with Dwayne Wade and the Heat. On paper, this series was going to be very close. It wasn’t. Wade absolutely bamboozled the Milwaukee defense four straight games, averaging 30.8 PPG as Miami cruised to a sweep.
Heat win series 4-0

(E2) Pistons-(E7) 76ers: The final Eastern Conference series would see Allen Iverson try and drag his 76ers past the Detroit Pistons juggernaut. Game 1 would see Iverson succeed, as the Sixers narrowly escaped with an 83-78 win. The Pistons made sure that would not happen again. Detroit dominated every facet of the game throughout the next four matchups, as they won every single one by double digits.
Pistons win series 4-1

Western Conference

(W1) Lakers-(W8) Rockets: First series of the Western Conference to be covered. To put this simple, the Rockets never stood a chance. Yao Ming, for all the height he has, couldn’t stop the dynamic duo of Kobe and Vince, and the LA squad ended up sleepwalking to a sweep.
Lakers win series 4-0

(W4) Mavericks-(W5) Suns: T-Mac faces Dirk in this series. Games 1 and 2, hosted by the Mavericks, would see the home team eek out two narrow wins, 91-87 and 85-82, respectively. Game 3 was a blowout in favor of the Suns, with McGrady scoring 38 points, helping Phoenix to the 99-74 win. Unfortunately, T-Mac couldn’t match his previous performance in Game 4, shooting just 3/16 as Dallas eased to a 102-81 victory. After taking Game 5, Phoenix couldn’t contend with Reggie Miller’s three point shooting in Game 6, and the Mavericks closed out the Suns, 98-87.
Mavericks win series 4-2

(W3) SuperSonics-(W6) Kings: Another series, another sweep. Ray Allen did what he did all season, leading his Seattle squad to victory in four consecutive games, eliminating the reigning champion Kings in just the first round.
SuperSonics win series 4-0

(W2) Spurs-(W7) Grizzlies: A big man battle between Pau Gasol and Tim Duncan would provide the headlines for this game. Game 1 would show just that, as the two went back and forth, but Gasol proved to be the better one, as Memphis won, 78-73. Game 2 looked like it may be a similar story, but disaster struck in the second quarter, as Duncan took a body from Lorenzen Wright, and landed on his arm trying to break his fall, and had to leave the game. It was discovered he suffered a broken arm. Unfortunately for San Antonio, this signaled their end, as nobody else was able to stop a determined Gasol led the Grizzlies to their first playoff series win in franchise history, knocking out the Spurs in five games.
Grizzlies win series 4-1

Second round matchups
(E1) Raptors-(E5) Cavaliers
(E2) Pistons-(E3) Heat
(W1) Lakers-(W4) Mavericks
(W3) SuperSonics-(W7) Grizzlies

More round 3 action
Chris Berman: Welcome back to the draft as pick 76 and 77 have come in it’s the Panthers taking Justin Miller cornerback from Clemson and the Cowboys taking Andrew Walter quarterback from Arizona State

Mel Kiper Jr: Lets talk about the Cowboys taking Andrew Walter

There has been quarterback controversy for awhile in Dallas and even so this is a nice pick for quarterback depth
It’s been really a career of up and downs for Walter but he really had a solid enough Senior season for him to get drafted here in the 3rd round
At worst you are getting a solid number 2 quarterback here

*Later on*
Chris Berman: Pick 78 and Pick 79 are the Giants taking Darryl Blackstock linebacker from Georgia and the Jaguars taking defensive tackle Anntaj Hawthorne from the Wisconsin

Mel Kiper Jr: Blackstop was one of the last remaining 2nd round graded players I had left on the board

*Later on*
Chris Berman: Pick 80 and 81 have gone and it’s the Browns taking Ellis Hobbs cornerback Iowa State and the Jets trading up to take Darren Sproles running back from Kansas State

Mel Kiper Jr: Well the Jets they are building for the future it seems like
Curtis Martin is gonna be 32 this season and they lost Lamont Jordan to free agency in the offseason
Sproles can be a nice 3rd down back for now and he could very well develop into being to Martin’s successor for tje Jets

Also he will add a massive boost in special teams as he is a terrific kick and punt returner and finished his career at Kansas State 5th all time in NCAA all purpose yards

*Later on*
Pick 81 and Pick 82 are in as the Packers trade up to Pick 82 and take Channing Crowder linebacker from Florida and the Ravens take Corey Webster cornerback from LSU at pick 81

Mel Kiper Jr: These guys were 2 of my 5 remaining 2nd round graded prospects on my board
Corey Webster is needed depth for the Ravens defense
*Later on*
Chris Berman: Alright welcome back from commercial break and let’s take a look at picks 83,84 and 85
Pick 83 the Seahawks took a punter! That’s right Dustin Colquitt from Tennessee

Mel Kiper Jr: Well Colquitt is probably gonna be a solid punter for a team for quite awhile he has many Tennessee and SEC punting records

Seattle was disastrous when it came to special teams last season and I won’t be surprised if they end up taking a kicker later on in this draft so I can see why this makes sense for them

Chris Berman: Pick 84 it’s the Patriots with 2 of their 3rd rounders coming up by taking Jovan Haye defensive end from Vanderbilt and Pick 85 the Titans taking Ronald Fields defensive tackle from Mississippi State

Last edited:
Day one over
Chris Berman: Alright more picks since then have come in pick 86 the Steelers take Brandon Jones once again another Oklahoma wide receiver off the board and then pick 87 the Dolphins take Trai Essex guard from Northwestern and pick 88 it’s the Falcons taking OJ Atogwe safety Stanford

*Later on*
Chris Berman: Welcome back to the NFL draft from commercial break as 3 more picks have come and gone with the Colts taking Alfred Fincher linebacker from Cincinnati at pick 89 and at pick 90 Bengals take Sione Pouha defensive tackle Utah plus at pick 91 its the Minnesota Vikings taking Domonique Foxworth cornerback Maryland

Mel Kiper Jr: Foxworth was one of my few remaining 2nd round graded players left on my board and I got 2 left now with him being taken

One of the reasons why the Vikings I believe couldn’t make it to the Super Bowl was the lack of a premier corner and them not having Antione Winfield showed last season but this is a nice steal for the Vikings and a big boost to their secondary

*Later on*

Chris Berman: Alright the last main 3rd round picks are in before we go to the Compensatory picks
Pick 92 the Eagles taking Vince Carter center from Oklahoma and at pick 93 it’s the Raiders taking Brandon Jacobs running gack from Southern Illinois

Mel Kiper Jr: I had Jacobs as a 4th round prospect but I am ok with him going late 3rd round

He’s more likely to be the 3rd down or goal line back for the Raiders than to become a starting running back in his career
Still the Raiders even with the Super Bowl win always had the lack of running back depth which almost could have cost them a Super Bowl but that fix seemed to be filled for now

Jacobs actually in 2003 was the 3rd stringer running back to the now Number 1 and 2 overall picks in the draft Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown at Auburn and even got to play a handful of games that season and now he is in the same draft class as them

Chris Berman: Alright let’s go to Gene Washington as he is about to announce the first Compensatory pick as the Raiders will be back on the clock again

“With the 94th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Oakland Raiders select Brock Berlin quarterback Miami (FL)”

Chris Berman: So the 3rd quarterback taken in this round is Brock Berlin from Miami and he has had a interesting story

Mel Kiper Jr: Well Boomer he was the backup for Rex Grossman at Florida for 2 years then transfers in 2002 to Miami and becomes the starter for 2003 and 2004

Unfortunately really 2004 is the only strong season he really had but it was enough for him to be consider as a Day 2 early to mid round pick but he ends up going late 3rd round to Oakland

I think this is because Delhomme is not gonna be the long term backup in Oakland and they really this is a pick for a hypothetical worst case scenario for the Raiders quarterback room

I don’t see at all a long time starter in Brock Berlin but rather someone that will still be a solid long time backup in this league like a Brad Johnson or a Charlie Batch so no complains on that

*Later on*
“With the 95th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the San Diego Chargers select Ray Willis offensive tackle Florida State”

*Later on*
“With the 96th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Denver Broncos select Vincent Burns defensive tackle Kentucky”

*Later on*
“With the 97th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the New England Patriots select Jonathan Babineaux defensive tackle Iowa”

*Later on*
“With the 98th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Lorenzo Alexander linebacker Cal”

Mel Kiper Jr: The 2nd to last player on my board that had a 2nd round grade.
Alexander is someone who can play linebacker or can switch to defensive end or tackle but it will be interesting to see what he does in Tampa’s defense

*Later on*
“With the 99th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Indianapolis Colts select Kirk Morrison linebacker San Diego State”

*With the 100th choice in the San Francisco 49ers select Karl Paymah cornerback Washington State”

*Later on*
“With the 101st choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Seattle Seahawks select Chris Myers center Miami (FL)”

Chris Berman: So that is it for Day 1 of the 2005 NFL Draft what a fun ride this was and I hope you enjoyed it as much as we did!
But there are still a few more rounds to go so join Mel,Chris Morterson,Suzy Kolber and Mike Golic for Day 2 and Rounds 4-7 tommorow afternoon and thanks for Tory Holt to be here as our special guest

Thanks and have a wonderful night

Last edited:
2005 NFL draft, day 2
“ESPN NFL DRAFT DAY 2 COVERAGE OF THE 2005 NFL DRAFT”

Suzy Kolber: Welcome to the 2nd day of the 2005 NFL Draft im here with Chris Morterson,Mike Golic and of course Mel Kiper Jr and we will be taking you from rounds 4 to 7 on here

*Later on*
Suzy Kolber well here comes the first pick of the Day 2 let’s go over to Gene Washington

“With the 102nd pick in the 2005 NFL Draft the Detroit Lions select Jay Ratliff defensive end from Auburn.”

Mel Kiper Jr: Jay Ratliff is interesting that he played 2002 and 2003 with Auburn at defensive end but last season in 2004 he switches to defensive tackle and goes out to have his best season in college

However it was forced to change back to defensive end if he wanted a good shot at the pros and I do believe this switch helps he get drafted here at round 4 and not face being undrafted

Chris Morterson: Also the Lions take their second Auburn player in this draft and the first player of course being Cadillac Williams with the 1st ocereal pick in this draft

*Later on*

Suzy: Alright there has been a trade between the Buffalo Bills and the Chicago Bears as it’s the Bears are on the clock now with the 2nd pick in the 4th Round

Chris Morterson: So the Bills there are rumors that we woke up to this morning that the team might get a new rebranding of a new logo and new uniforms and I know this is the 4th round and all but possibly their future quarterback here?

Mike Gollic: Well I know it’s never to late to find a quarterback but I don’t see anyone left on here that can turn out to be franchise guy

*Later on*
“The Arizona Cardinals have traded Pick 103 to the Buffalo Bills and with that choice the Buffalo Bills take Adrian McPherson quarterback Amsterdam Admirals from NFL Europe”

Mike Golic: Well that’s an interesting pick and an interesting story. Adrian McPherson after a long road ends up finding himself drafted here in the 4th round

Chris Morterson: Yeah Mike for the 2nd time in NFL Draft history we have someone drafted that didn’t play their last game beforehand at the collegiate level
The first time was back in 1991 when the then called Phoenix Cardinals drafted Eric Swann a defensive tackle from a semi professional football team in Massachusetts called the Bay State Titans with the 6th overall pick
And today it has happened the second time in NFL history though McPherson here can say that he played college football unlike Eric Swann

As in case you don’t know McPherson was the backup quarterback for Florida State in 2001 and 2002 but was dismissed from the team afterwards after reports of him being in a betting ring but afterwards he fights and it’s granted allowance to play in NFL Europe with the Amsterdam Admirals for the next 2 years as their quarterback but remember the Buccaneers took him last year in the supplemental draft but rather as a cornerback but the thing was they were not aware of McPherson current status as the QB of the Admirals and needless to say he did not signed with them which costed the Buccaneers a 2005 5th Round Pick

Mel Kiper Jr: Yeah Mort and there is a reason why ends up being drafted as a quarterback after all

According to what I know do not be surprised if they name McPherson the NFL Europe MVP in 2005 by the season he has having

I don’t expect this to be a now normal thing to happen this was just a random thing that happened

Also McPherson needs to work on his throwing and not having to return to being mobile all the time as that may work in NFL Europe but not in the main NFL league

That said the Bills want to give Chad Pennington competition in the quarterback room to make sure he is the future of that franchise after that trade for him and if he isn’t if McPherson who needs to fix at least most of the complains he has had according to scouts he could very well end up getting a shot at quarterback in Buffalo
I am not super excited about this pick I actually think it’s a bit of a reach but it is what it is

I wonder thought could we possibly see a position change from him eventually if he can’t figure out his throwing issues? The Bills could be getting a fine defensive back/returner if that is the case here

*Later on*

“With 104th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the San Francisco 49ers select Vince Carter center Oklahoma”

Chris Morterson: Well I know we have the NBA Playoffs going on and we have the Vince Carter who is of course with the Lakers but no obviously this is another Vince Carter who is now a center for the San Francisco 49ers

Mel Kiper Jr: This is someone who wasn’t a starter until his final season in 2004 so not much take of him in college but he seemed to really impressive scouts at the East West Shrine Game and at Oklahoma’s pro day so that is probably why he ends up going early on in Round 4

*Other notable early Round 4 picks*
Broncos: Derek Curry OLB Notre Dame
Cardinals: Terrance Murphy WR Texas
Texans:Lance Mitchell OLB Oklahoma
Texans: Brandon Browder CB Oregon State
Giants:Stanley Wilson CB Stanford

*Later on*
“With the 118th choice in the 4th Round of the 2005 NFL Draft the Kansas City Chiefs select Kyle Orton quarterback Purdue”

Mel Kiper Jr: You look at Kyle Orton and the potential is there however he needs to work on the throwing motions and the ability in this case to be a bit more mobile

He impressed however at the Senior Bowl however scouts say that he needs more coaching and I think him sitting behind someone like Trent Green for awhile could do wonders for Orton and his passing abilities
Again I think Terry Shea know what’s he can do for him and for what Orton to figure out

With the season starting in late December will we have to push the start of the NHL playoffs to maybe early to mid May?
I checked the 2013 season, which was a similar situation in OTL, and they started the season in January, with the playoffs starting in late April. I think it might be something like that for the 04-05 season here.

I checked the 2013 season, which was a similar situation in OTL, and they started the season in January, with the playoffs starting in late April. I think it might be something like that for the 04-05 season here.
Well let’s get someone to recap the NHL season first

More NFL Draft
More notable mid to late 4th round picks
Rams: Manuel White FB UCLA
Jets: Kerry Rhodes S Louisville
Seahawks: Elton Brown G Virgina
Panthers: Dustin Fox CB Ohio State
Saints: David Stewart OT Mississippi State

*Later on*

Suzy Kolber: Alright we have 3 picks left in the 4th round as it will be 3 Compensatory picks

“With the 134th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Buffalo Bills select Trent Cole defensive end Cincinnati”

Chris Morterson: Well Mel your final 2nd round graded player is off the board

Mel Kiper Jr: If it isn’t for medical scare Trent Cole is a 2nd rounder late 1st rounder

Buffalo is getting a steal here if it isn’t for the problems that worried some GMs

*Later on*
“With the 135th choice in the 4th round in the 2005 NFL Draft the Dallas Cowboys select Boomer Grigsby linebacker Illinois State”

*Later on*
“With the 136th choice and the final choice in the 4th Round of the 2005 NFL Draft the Washington Redskins select Chris Canty defensive end Virginia

*Later on*

Suzy Kolber: Well that’s the 4th round we are gonna go on a break now as the 5th Round begins

2095 NBA Playoffs, round 2
Recapping round 2 of the NBA playoffs

Eastern Conference

(E1) Raptors-(E5) Cavilers
Raptors win series 4-2

(E2) Pistons-(E3) Heat
Heat win 4-3

Western Conference

(W1) Lakers-(W4) Mavericks
Mavericks win 4-1

(W3) Supersonics-(W7) Grizzlies
Grizzlies win 4-3 after being down 3-1

So the Lakers destroy the Rockets only to lay an egg against the Mavericks? And the Sonics blow a 3-1 lead after beating the reigning champs?

2005 NFL Draft fifth round
Suzy Kolber: Welcome back to our NFL Draft coverage as we kick off Round 5 as it’s the Lions back now on the clock to kick this off once again Gene Washington

“With the 137th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft the Detroit Lions select Nate Washington wide receiver Tiffin”

Suzy Kolber: So Nate Washington is the first player off the board in Round 5

Mel Kiper Jr: Well Suzy you look at Nate Washington this is probably a guy who is a 2nd or 3rd Rounder but the fact that unfortunately he played his college career with a Division II independent team hurt his stock.

But I think this might be a nice gem here by the Lions as they continue to build their receiving core with Matt Cassel and now Nate Washington to help out Jason White here

*Later on*
“With the 140th choice in the 5th round of the 2005 NFL Draft the Chicago Bears select Dan Orlovsky quarterback Connecticut”

Mel Kiper Jr: Well unfortunately for the Bears Grossman’s career with them as been riddle with injuries so it’s nice they go ahead and I don’t think are getting a future starter here but nice added depth to their quarterback position

Notable other early to mid 5th round picks
Broncos : Reggie Hodges Punter Ball State
Giants: Stefan LeFors QB Louisville
Jaguars: Justin Evans FB Montana
Ravens: Wesley Britt OT Alabama