An Imperial Match: Anne Boleyn marries Charles V

27th of September, 1527.
  • Stuttgart, Württemberg. 27th of September, 1527.

The brown-haired boy was sleeping peacefully in his mother’s arms, pouty lips shining brightly under the candlelight. He had round rosy cheeks and golden eyelashes, with a long straight nose. George leaned forward and touched his little son’s even littler hand, letting out a surprised and loving gasp when the boy closed his fist tightly around his finger.

Johanna, back pressed to the multitude of pillows, smiled happily. “He’s so handsome,” she murmured in French. “He doesn’t look like Anna, however.”

“I see no problem with that,” George murmured, thinking of his little daughter sleeping peacefully on her nursery in another wing of the castle. Anna seemed to take after the English side of her family, with his sister Mary’s blonde locks and light blue eyes, whereas the little boy had his mother’s dark brown hair and unopened eyes. “He seems healthy enough.”

Johanna’s smile grew even larger, as if that was possible. “He is as healthy a lad as I have ever seen,” she said, raising her brown eyes to look at him lovingly. “What shall we name him?”

George took a deep breath. He knew exactly what he wanted to name his son, though he had to embellish the name a little, as to be better accepted. “Karl Ferdinand,” he murmured, “For the Emperor and the King of Hungary and Bohemia, without whom we wouldn’t be here today.”

Johanna smiled. “I like that,” she said. “Will you invite Their Majesties to be Karl’s godfathers?” He nodded.

“With your blessing, of course,” he answered, “And I would also like your sister, Amalie, to stand as godmother.” Amalie had come to stay with her sister after the marriage since she had been dedicated to the church at an early age and there was no fear of what George might do to her. She had returned to her priory only after the birth of her niece, Anna, and still exchanged frequent letters with the Duchess of Württemberg.

Johanna dipped her chin. “Thank you, my lord,” she murmured.

George nodded, smiling and returned his eyes to his little son. Peacefully sleeping, Karl Ferdinand had no idea of the role he had been born into, how much he secured his father and family on Württemberg just by virtue of being a healthy male. With Ulrich von Württemberg dead, and his son Christoph a boy of twelve in the Emperor’s custody, he had little to fear now.

Life was good.

--

Dunois, France. 12th of October, 1527.

Louis II d’Orléans, Duke of Longueville read the letter again, fearing he had misunderstood its contents. His eyes ran along the paper and the scribbled words, his shoulders relaxing as he realized no, he understood it perfectly.

The Duke and Duchess of Brittany cordially invited him to take part in their celebrations of Yuletide, as both would not be attending the royal court’s celebrations. Louis understood there were concerns for their age, especially since the war and the loss of his first (and only respected) wife had made King Francis more indulgent with the wine and sex. Duke François was only nine and his little bride, eleven. They should not see such things.

Besides, Brittany had remained semi-independent for years, far longer than any other French holding and though its lord would one day become King of France, it was understandable that they would hold their own celebrations separate from the monarch’s.

Of course, there would also be much to gain if Louis was to attend it, since, though he was an Orléans, he had been born of an illegitimate line of the family, with no claim to the throne. Meeting the young Duke when he was still young and impressionable might safeguard his career in the future.

He was only seventeen but his father, and his mother especially, had always made clear that they had to rely on the goodwill of the King of France to continue with their wealth and lands. Louis had been born a second son, but his elder brother’s death some years past had made him head of his family. He needed to keep them all safe and if he had to do so by attending the Christmas celebrations in Nantes, then so be it.

So be it.

Last edited:
    1st of November, 1527.
  • Toledo, Castile. 1st of November, 1527.​

Save for the burning embers on the hearth, the room was entirely silent, with Charles quietly reading his letters and Anne sewing a shirt for Juanita next to him. His wife was bound up in furs, dark hair streaming down her back in such an intimate setting and her lips twisted in concentration as she worked out the needle in and out of the fine white fabric.

Charles lowered his eyes back to the paper before him, the letter he was attempting to write to his sister in Milan, and let out a sigh. He leaned away from the desk, rubbing his eyes in frustration. When he returned, eyes slightly sore from the assault, he grabbed the half-completed paper and balled it up.

Anne chuckled when he threw the letter at the fire, not raising her eyes. Charles stared at her.

"Is there something amusing, my lady?" he asked, slightly incensed.

"Not at all," she responded, still not looking at him. "I'm simply wondering what could have put the Emperor in such a foul mood that he must punish a harmless sheet of paper." When she finished her words, Anne finally raised her chin to look at him, still smiling.

Charles rubbed his eyes again and sighed. "It's the war," he said. "My dominions, the Church. Everything tests me."

"How could your dominions test you?" Anne asked, returning her eyes to her sewing. Charles pouted, almost upset at having lost her attention, but sighed. He leaned back on the chair, feeling his spine crack and let out a deep breath.

"They are too large," he murmured, "And far too different. What offends a Spaniard will flatter a Flemish, not to talk of the Germans and Italians that are always complaining of my lack of attention towards them."

"Didn't you say you wanted to split your realm between our realms? That your brother would have Germany, Juan would gain Burgundy and Felipe, the Spanish realms?"

Charles nodded. "I did," he agreed, "But until I'm called to join our Lord, I must spend my days ruling them from afar. Such is my fate."

Anne chuckled again. "Woe is you," she murmured, raising her eyes to look at him. "You could quite easily abdicate the Archduchy of Austria in the name of your brother, who has been governing it in your name for years, as well as name him King of the Romans. This would lighten the load on you and keep the Germans from testing you, as you so eloquently said."

"I'm the Emperor," Charles replied, angry at the way she so callously talked of him giving up his rightful paternal inheritance. "I must have lands in the Empire, otherwise, what is the meaning of all this?"

"Are the Low Countries not part of the Empire?" Anne asked, looking at him with an arched eyebrow. "Legally, at least."

He held her gaze for a few long minutes, but the intensity of her dark eyes made him turn away, shaking his head. "I will not abdicate, Anne," he said, "God trusted me to be the heir of all of my four grandparents and as such, I shall rule their lands until I die."

"Then I can't help you," she replied with a roll of her eyes, setting the finished shirt aside to pick up another one.

Charles sighed and said the words he had been dreading to say for months, "Yes, you can." His wife raised her eyes, confused. "There might be a need for me to leave the Spanish realms in the oncoming months for Italy. The Pope refuses to negotiate with any of my ambassadors and I must solve this issue, which has severely hurt my prestige and reputation in Europe and set him free. One way or the other."

Anne stood up and set her sewing aside. "Oh, Charles, take me with you," she begged, coming to kneel beside her. "Do not leave me here in this land that has no love nor affection for me."

He took her hands gently in his, pressing a kiss to her clammy knuckles. "Your lady mother and father shall remain with you," he murmured, "But you can't. You must remain here, in Castile."

"Why?" Anne cried. "I'm your wife, your empress. I must be by your side."

"No, you must stay here," he said, gently. He brought her closer to him, leaning their foreheads together, and kissed her cheeks. He cleaned her tears with his lips, observing the agony that burned behind her eyes. "Anne, I want you to rule Castile and Aragon while I'm gone. There is none who I trust more to do my will in my absence."

She leaned back, bringing a hand to her lips. "I'm to be regent?" she asked and Charles nodded. "Why not Alba, as it was the last time?"

"Alba is coming with me, as is Gattinara," he said. "Anne, do you accept this? The children will be under your custody and all will be ordered to do as you will."

"Accept?" she repeated. Charles observed the shift in her face as she laughed. "Of course, I do. Of course, Charles, of course."

"It will take time for me to prepare everything for the journey," he started, "And I have no wish to travel during the cold season, but after that, I say you will be regent of las Españas."

Anne giggled and laughed once again, wrapping her arms around his neck to pull him down into a kiss.

10th of December, 1527.
  • Westminster Palace, England. 10th of December, 1527.

"Please, Sire," said Isabella, following her husband down the corridors of the royal residence, "I beg you to reconsider."

"I shall not," Henry replied, not turning to look at her as he continued to walk far away from her, surely helped by his long and strong legs. Isabella grunted in frustration and grabbed her skirts, freed from having to act properly due to the lack of attendants around them, and ran behind him. "It's my right as king to bestow noble titles upon whom I see most fit to deserve them. I will not have my wife questioning this!"

“But to ennoble your natural sons?” she questioned. “Is that a sensible decision? Especially when Henry Fitzroy is older than your Prince of Wales? What will he think in the future, that might be a contender for the throne?”

“He will not,” Henry replied, stopping to turn to look at her. Isabella stepped back at the sight of his flushed face, his wide eyes. “Henry is my son, as is John and Pierre. It’s my right to settle their future and it’s their duty to remain loyal to the Prince of Wales and the King, whoever they may be.”

“Whoever they may be?” she questioned. “And have you forgotten our son already, the Duke of York?” Isabella tilted her face. “Or the Duke of Nothing, even though he’s already three years old and has no title to call his own.”

“What are you trying to say?” Henry asked, inching his face closer to hers. “Are you displeased already? Or do you want more for your boy? First, it’s York, then Cornwall and Wales, before finally achieving your dream of having a son on the throne of England. Isn’t that right, Isabella?”

“How can you say this to me?” she murmured. “John is just as much a son to me as he is to you and His Majesty knows it.”

“Do I?” he asked, a feverish look on his eyes. “Well, then if you love Marie and John as your own, then surely it’s your duty to love Henry and Pierre Fitzroy just as much.”

“John and Marie are legitimate children, born from a Godly marriage and their mother left them far too early,” she told him, wanting nothing more than to stomp her feet in stubborn frustration. “It was my duty and honour to attempt to fill the hole left by Queen Catherine and give them the motherly love they deserve.”

“Well, if you are saying so, then it’s your duty to love Pierre as your own, for he has no mother to call his own,” Henry replied.

“I shall not!” she said. “Pierre was… Pierre was… Pierre was born from that Frenchwoman that you dallied with while I stayed here, taking care of this family!” She stomped her feet then. “I shall not, Henry, I promise you!”

Henry chuckled, stepping back. “I see then,” he whispered. “You love John only because he will be king someday because you wish to safeguard your position if you were to outlive me.”

“How can you say these words while looking me in the eye?” Isabella asked, stepping closer to him with her chin tilted up. “You accuse me of ulterior motives while asking me to love the bastard born from your betrayal to me during the war. You ask me to accept that you give your sons the Earldoms of Somerset and Gloucester, titles that rightfully belong to our children!”

“Then you should have given me a Duke of Somerset in June,” he murmured, face turned a furious shade of red. “You should have conceived since the birth of Elizabeth. Then, perhaps, you would see your sons honoured with Somerset and Gloucester.” He tilted his head slightly. “As well as York.”

At the end of his words, Henry turned and walked away, leaving her utterly and completely alone.

--

Nantes, France. 15th of December, 1527.

Louis noticed her from the very first day he spent in Brittany, a tall woman nearly six feet tall with reddish-blonde hair and hazel eyes. A person such as her was hard to miss and in the days following his arrival, he became determined to catch more and more glimpses of her as well as to learn as much as he could from her.

She was one of the Duchess' English companions, the daughter of Her Grace's governess and the loveliest in the group save for the Duchess herself. Though Louis didn't know whether the comparison was just, since Marie Tudor was still a child and had the lovely face of infancy that could be grown out of whereas her lady was a woman worthy of the name.

Although there were many who served the Duchess, as only four of her thirty ladies were English-born, Louis had eyes only to her. He attended every function for a chance to see her, exchanging shy glances with the woman who had utterly bewitched him. Whenever their gazes met, she would smile and flush prettily, averting eyes before long for the sake of propriety.

He had been in Brittany for nearly a full month when the celebrations truly began and they were allowed to dance together. Louis was eager to pull her into the floor, heart beating strong inside his chest. The woman accepted with a bright smile, looking up at him with flushed cheeks. She was tall, but he was taller still.

"What is your name, Mademoiselle?" he asked, aware of the gaze of her mother and sister over them.

She smiled even wider. "I'm Mistress Katheryn Parr, monsieur," she said, "But everyone calls me Kate."

Louis held her hand in his, stroking the soft knuckles of her fingers.

"Kate," he whispered, "It's a pleasure to meet you."

12th of January, 1528.
  • Palace of Richmond, England. 12th of January, 1528.

"No! I don't want to!"

"Your Highness, you must," Dorothy said in a hushed tone, running behind Prince Edward. It was an early January morning, seasonably cold and she was worried for his constitution. The fear, although coming from the heart, was slightly misplaced for the royal nursery was truly warm with the multitude of fireplaces and rugs covering every inch of the floor, as well as the thick tapestries hanging from the walls. Besides, His Highness had left his hot bath barely a minute before.

Dorothy continued following the Prince, for she knew that, though her long skirts were tangling between her legs, she was much faster than him. In her hands, she held the first two layers of his clothes, as well as a wooden brush to set his golden locks which grew more and more wild with each passing year.

Edward shrieked in defeat when she caught him at last, face red, but Dorothy did not let it deter her. The Prince needed to be suitably dressed for his ennoblement ceremony that day and the Queen had given Lady Bryan permission to treat her son as the governess saw fit, a permission which trickled down to nurses such as her. If she had to shake Edward or slap some sense into him, she would.

"No!" the little boy screamed as she stuffed his head in the neckhole for the shift, taking in big gulping breaths as he screamed. Dorothy, who was nearly forty with more than enough children in her history as a caretaker, was not cowed by his wiggling. Prince Edward was not the first child of three who refused to put on clothes and he certainly would not be the last. "No! Dothy, don't want to!"

"I know, I know," she murmured soothingly, helping him up to coax his little feet into his white shoes, "But you want to look beautiful before the King and Queen, don't you, Your Highness?"

Edward, who had grown tired of fighting, sat down and crossed his arms, pouting furiously. "No," he responded with as much strength as a boy his age could muster.

She moved to grab the rest of the layers of his clothes, which were the same as worn by his older half-brother when he was named the Prince of Wales and sent to Ludlow with a household of his own. Now, it was Edward's turn since with a little Elizabeth needing the attention of Lady Bryan. When he was named the Duke of York, he would leave Eltham and go to Pickering Castle under the careful watch of Lady Worcester, the King's first cousin. Dorothy and Lady Bryan would remain with Princess Elizabeth until the day a younger sibling came and she be allowed to join the tutelage of the Countess of Salisbury.

"Yes, you do," Dorothy said. She took advantage of this to brush his hair to look neatly under his hood, which she picked up as he was distracted. "I know His Highness very well, for I have taken care of him since he first left his mother's body. The Prince wants to look very handsome before his royal mother and father."

Edward said nothing, still pouting and with his arms crossed. Dorothy leaned back to see him, his white smock with frilled cuffs under a gown with fashionably wide turnback sleeves and a simplified version of a French hood. She helped him attach the religious amulets to his belt and his dress, which had been made to safeguard his health. Edward, much like his brother John, was healthy and hale but the King had waited too long for a son of his own to let them catch an illness without protection.

When he was dressed and ready, Dorothy sent him with Alice who would bring him to Lady Bryan. It was his day, but he was not the only star who would shine at court. Dorothy had heard rumors when she moved from Eltham with His Highness' household that the King's two illegitimate sons would also be honoured with their own titles.

It was said that the King had made Prince Edward's ennoblement be on the same day as his half-brothers' so that the Queen would be forced to attend, otherwise she might be inclined to avoid such an occasion. There were even those who said that the King had not said when Prince Edward would be honoured with York so that the Queen could not claim indisposition and leave with her son.

Of course, those were only rumours.

Last edited:
    Family Tree - Sforza
  • Duke Francesco II of Milan (February 1495-) m. Catalina of Austria (January 1507-)
    1. Ludovico Sforza (October 1523-) m. Caterina de' Medici (April 1519-)
    2. Massimiliano Sforza (September 1524-)
    3. Margherita Sforza (November 1525-)
    4. Beatrice Sforza (August 1526-)
    5. Francesco Sforza (October 1527-)

1st of February, 1528.
  • Düsseldorf, United Duchies of Jülich-Cleves-Berg. 1st of February, 1528.

Johann III, Duke of Cleves from the House of La Marck had a large smile on his face as he leaned down to sign the large contract with a flourish. Beside him, Lars Andersson signed in the name of his king, the Swedish Gustav I Vasa, promising to follow the agreement formed between the two rulers.

In many ways, Johann admired the King of Sweden. His story was one that would go down in ages, about the man that strove to defeat the tyrant that had killed his father and nephew, who had liberated the Swedes from ages of Danish rule. Although he was far too Lutheran for Johann’s tastes, since he had always strived to toe the line between the two forms of confessions ever since Martin Luther first came to European attention, the idea of his child sitting on a throne even as small as the one in Stockholm was too important for him to ignore.

Such an opportunity never showed itself twice and with only one son to inherit after him, Johann was determined to leave a large network of allies to assist his heir. First Sibylle in Saxony, now sweet and intelligent Amalia in Sweden. She was a little young for the King, having turned ten last October, but she would be sent to her husband as soon as she turned twelve in the following year with a rich dowry that would soften the hearts of those against the match.

When he had finished signing his own name, a polite clapping arose in the room. Even Maria, with her pinched expression and a deep frown marring her features, clapped, for she knew not to question his decisions in public. She was not pleased by him betrothing Amalia to a man known to follow the teachings of someone she thought a heretic, just as she had not been pleased by Sybille’s marriage to Johann Friedrich.

He rose together with the Swedish ambassador, a large smile on his face. “Let us feast!” he declared. “Let us celebrate the betrothal of my sweet daughter Amalia!”

Johann offered a hand to Maria and she accepted it, though she refused to meet his gaze even when he inclined his head to look at her. He sighed and leaned back, not letting her reluctance deter him. Amalia was his to do with as he pleased. She would marry whomever he wished and Maria had to accept it, no matter if she preferred any other.

They arrived in the great hall to large tables filled with food and musicians already prepared to play the most common songs in Germany. His court was not one to boast of music and the fashions common around Europe due to the Italian influence, but Johann had felt a strong need to play the part before the envoys. When they left, he could shake off these frivolous things and return to the life both he and Maria preferred.

He and his wife sat together at the high table, Maria quickly letting go of his arm when their hands were hidden from view and he chuckled. “Please, wife, smile,” he murmured, “Or anyone would think we have quarrelled.”

“Don’t talk to me,” Maria responded, though with a radiant smile stamped on her face. Satisfied, Johann returned his eyes to his court as they began to eat and drink, a quiet wave of conversations rising up from the crowd.

Even in the aftermath of such a triumph, he was quick to consider his next move. Anna remained available and Wilhelm as well. His heir was certainly a prize to be considered by any lesser European princess or duchess, and the betrothal between Amalia and Gustav gave Johann pause. Anna was a lovely girl, a sweet child who had taken to her mother’s more domestic education. She would make a fine wife for the right husband, but what match could he arrange for her?

The Swedish had asked for Anna, since being older and already of age, she was both more ready to bear children than her younger sister and could very well one day stand to inherit all of his dominions, but Johann had refused such a match. He thought Anna could do better than Sweden, whereas Amalia, as a third daughter, had little prospects of her own.

He had once considered the Duke of Lorraine’s son, but the news of the boy’s death had quickly dampened the thought and turned Johann towards other fleeting notions as to where Anna could marry. None of them ever seemed fitting for his daughter, and he sometimes wondered if there was any prince for her that could bring her prestige and bring an alliance for Cleves.

Maria would surely prefer a Catholic, but the Reformation proved a whole matter to contend with. Princes across Europe seemed to rise from the woodwork to oppose the Catholic Church and declare for the teachings of Luther or Calvin. The war of the Emperor and the King of France in Italy had also shown that the Pope no longer had the power he once did, as did the Ottoman invasion of Hungary, where the infidels seemed ever more hungry for the once-proud lands of the Magyars.

He wanted Anna to marry someone of high standing, with a proud lineage standing behind him. The Wettins of Saxony were high and mighty in the Empire and the Vasas had proven themselves worthy of a younger daughter from La Marck, but where could Anna go? If the Duke of Württemberg were not already married with two healthy children, he would marry her to him, for the man had a close relationship with both the Emperor and the King of Bohemia and Hungary and such an influence could always assist them in the future. His son, little Karl Ferdinand, was far too young for his girl, sadly. He would be more suited for a child Wilhelm had in the future than for Anna.

But where could Anna go?

--

Stirling Castle, Scotland. 1st of March, 1528.

The rain had been falling for hours, mercilessly heavy over the world and Margaret Tudor, Dowager Queen of Scotland, could not wait for it to be over. She stood before a window, wrapped around in her furs to keep her warm during the cold night, wondering if she could see any rider coming in the distance. It was futile, she knew it, for the rain and echoing thunders meant nothing was visible even a palm beyond the protective glass, but still she stayed there.

With a sigh, she turned around, eyes meeting those of Alexander Stewart, the Dean of Brechin. “Are you sure our spies were right?” she asked, worry lacing her words. “Jamie would be escaping today?”

Alexander nodded. “It is what our allies said,” he murmured, coming to her. Margaret cursed and turned around to look out the window once more. She felt his hands coming even before they touched her arms, stroking down the skin which was not covered by her shawl. Margaret sighed, shuddering with delight and her shoulder relaxing with the touch of someone she trusted. “Do not worry. Jamie is sixteen now. He can take care of himself under a little rain.”

Margaret nodded, determined to listen to his words, though she still clutched at her throat.

“What if Angus found out?” she whispered. “What if he has kept the King even more secure than what we originally thought?”

“Angus won’t find out,” Alexander responded, dropping a kiss to her neck. “He’s too much of an idiot to ever think properly.” Margaret giggled and she accepted his hands sliding down her arms, moving her shawl away. The furs fell to the floor and she stood there only in her shift as he gently kissed her skin.

Hours later, after they were both thoroughly sated and rather relaxed, Margaret and Alexander sat together before the fire, legs wiggling in nerves as they waited for Jamie. The Queen had not seen her son in many years and she was afraid of the man he had become, for he was a stranger to her. She could well remember the babe they had placed on her chest after he was born and how his father had died when he was just seventeen months. She hoped Angus had not been hard on him, though she had heard rumours that her estranged former husband had encouraged her son’s taste in women to keep him away from power.

That would have to change, surely. Jamie could keep mistresses and bastards, but he must marry a woman of high standing to beget heirs. Margaret once hoped for her niece Mary to be such a woman, but she was now in Brittany and her brother had enough sons that the hope of a union between England and Scotland was almost dead and gone.

She closed her eyes and shook her head. Such matters were not important. The only that she cared about was to have her son back where he belonged, ready to rule the kingdom he had inherited from his father.

Margaret had almost lost hope when a maid came, informing her that there was someone who wished to see her. She rose with her heart racing, for Jamie was the King and he would not ask for permission to talk to her, his mother. Margaret exchanged glances with Alexander as she put on a dressing gown, sure that her worry was stamped on her face.

What if it was Angus, with an army ready to arrest or kill her? What if it was someone informing her that the news of her annulment was a sick lie? She did not think she would be able to handle such a heartbreak.

Margaret entered her foyer with quick steps, almost dragging her skirts by the hand, but she stopped at the sight of the tall figure with his back turned to her. He was drenched by the rain which raged outside, boots covered with mud that stained her fine rugs, auburn hair hastily hid under a brown cap to safeguard his identity. The man turned to look at her at the sound of her entrance and a gasp arose from her throat, a shriek mixed with a cry for she felt as if she was looking at the ghost of her long-dead husband, the King.

“Mother,” breathed the man, his voice slightly cracking as it was from someone that had only recently reached the age of manhood.

Tears slid down her cheeks and she ran forward, wrapping her arms around him tightly. “Jamie, oh my sweet, Jamie,” she cried out. Margaret stepped back and grabbed his face between her hands, pressing wet sobbing kisses all over his features. “Oh, look at you, you are so handsome. My sweet, sweet boy.”

“Oh, mother,” Jamie said, embracing her back, “I have missed you so much.”

12th of March, 1528.
  • Château de Rambouillet, France. 12th of March, 1528.

Madame de Pisseleu was stroking his hair with her long pale fingers. Francis tilted his head back into her lap as he ate handfuls of sweets, uncaring of everything else beyond that sole moment of love and tranquillity. They were alone in his rooms save for the musicians that played a romantic song for them.

It was thus, rather typical, that this picture of happiness would be quickly ruined and who other than his mother, the Duchess of Auvergne to be the one who would perform the task? Louise of Savoy entered the chambers with a strange look on her face and Francis stood up with a groan, coming to kiss her hand as she approached him. “Mother,” he murmured, “What honour do I have to thank for your presence?”

“A letter from the Duke of Ferrara,” she said, showing him the paper that she held in her hand. Francis twisted his mouth and picked it up, smoothing the crinkles on the letter as he began to read it. “Sforza has him besieged and Ercole d’Este beg us for our assistance to set him free.”

Francis finished the letter with a scowl on his face and he raised his eyes to look at his mother, frowning deeply. “Is there even anything I can do for him?” he asked. “Our armies are depleted and our money is practically gone. Some would say this was a sign for me to attempt to treat with Charles for peace.”

His mother looked at him, frowning. “You don’t want that,” she boldly murmured, careful to keep her words from being overheard by Madame de Pisseleu, who was standing just behind her son.

Francis sighed.

“No, of course, I don’t want that,” he murmured, “But what can I do? You said the alliance with Francesco would keep Milan by our sides until we were ready to take over after reconquering Burgundy, but we have failed. The Duke’s sly Spanish wife turned him against us.”

“You could seek other allies,” said a voice behind him and Francis turned, watching as his mistress came closer to them, carefully holding her hands before her. “His Majesty has many daughters. Promise them in marriage to other European rulers in return for their assistance against the Emperor.”

Francis looked at her, feeling as if he was seeing her for the first time in his life. He turned back to his mother, seeing the strange look on her face, like she couldn’t believe such a lowly woman dared to advise the King of France.

He wondered if Anne’s idea could work. His darling Charlotte had died only some months after Claude, Madeleine was far too sickly for him to ever consider marrying her somewhere that could damage her frail health and Marguerite was just a baby. She was not even five and there was a possibility of her following her older sisters into the grave. No, he would not risk them and he said as much to the two women present, observing their slight disappointed expressions.

It was thus an eternity when his mother finally spoke, “What of Renée, my son?”

“Renée?” Francis frowned. Renée was his young sister-in-law, Claude's little sister who was only five years old when her father died and Francis became King of France. “What of her?”

"Well, she is seventeen at the moment and far healthier than the deceased Queen was," his mother murmured. "We could arrange her marriage to one of the German princes, with the Italians losing evermore lands to the Sforzas."

"But who?" he asked. "Who will have her?"

Anne stepped forward, placing a gentle hand on his elbow. "What about Cleves, Sire?" she asked. "They are rich and powerful in the Empire, with the eldest daughter married to the Elector of Saxony. Moreover, they are prone to enter conflict with the Emperor over Guelders."

"Guelders?" he asked. Francis turned to his mother and saw her nod in confirmation. "Why Guelders?"

"The Emperor retains the right to inherit the Duchy from the Egmond duke, who is unmarried and childless, but the ducal family of Cleves have a bloodclaim on Guelders."

"And why not marry Renée to Guelders himself?"

"The man seems unlikely to win alone and retain his territories for Renée's children, whereas Cleves can very well stand against the Emperor with their wealthy and vast territories," said his mother. "Besides, if you marry Renée to Karel, we will be pulled into his conflict immediately upon the union, whereas with Cleves, we may wait for the death of his kinsman."

Francis nodded. It made sense. "How old is the heir to Cleves?"

"He is eleven at the moment," said Louise, "But we can send Renée when he turns fourteen, in July 1530. She will be twenty then and ready to bear children for her German duke."

"We will demand either financial or military assistance in the war," Francis continued. He chewed on his lower lip. "Claude de Guise will ride to Düsseldorf with the offer, as well as gentle suggestions that the ducal family learn to speak French so as to communicate better with Renée.” His mother nodded, already preparing the instructions she would relay to the Duke and one of Francis’ closest friends. The King had heard rumors that the daughters of the Duke of Cleves had been rather poorly educated in comparison to their counterparts around Europe, for they could speak no language other than German. Not even Latin.

The suggestions would help them be more inclined towards France, rather than the Empire. Or at least, more open to it and Francis knew very well the power women could have over men. If those girls ever married outside the Empire, they could bring their opinions to their husbands’ court and gain him even more friends in the future.

His mother left soon after, with instructions and newly-made plans. Francis and Madame de Pisseleu stayed in his rooms, lovingly kissing while sprawled on the pillows left on the floor. The King was stroking her long blonde hair, wrapping the locks around his knuckles as she cupped his face between her pale hands.

He chuckled when she traced the slope of his nose with her index fingers, pretending to bite the digit as she giggled.

"Sire," Anne began with a smile on her full pink lips, "May I ask something of you?"

"Of course," said Francis, dipping his head to press a hot kiss on her neck.

"Is it true that the Queen has taken Mademoiselles Madeleine and Marguerite into her household for further raising?" she asked carefully.

Francis leaned back to watch her face, looking for something that told him she had second intentions with such a strange question. Finding none, he nodded.

"It is," he responded.

Anne bit her lower lip and he became distracted by the sight, thinking nothing beyond his own teeth pinching that soft red flesh. "I wonder if that is wise, Sire," she murmured. "The Mademoiselles are young and impressionable yet. The Queen may turn them against France and her King, so that they may serve the purposes of the House of Austria."

"And what do you suggest?" he asked. Francis was willing to hear her, though he didn't know what he would do with her words. He may despise Elizabeth, but she was still his wife and raising his daughters was her right as their new mother.

Anne smiled.

"I'd be most pleased to be named their governess," she murmured, "Or if the King's Majesty does not see me fit for the role, then I'd be more than happy to suggest other options."

Francis hummed, thinking about it. He was unable to reach a decision, however, by the door opening and a messenger stepping inside. He grunted and stood up, taking the letter in the man's hand.

When he finished reading it, he closed his eyes and took a deep breath. Anne touched his arm and dismissed the messenger with a silver coin, trying to look into his face to see what had happened.

"My cousin, the Duke of Longueville has married Mistress Katheryn Parr without my permission," said Francis through gritted teeth. "Now, to avoid my wrath, they fled to the court of Margaret of Austria. To the hands of my enemy!"

Anne bit her lip. "They are nothing more than silly little children, Sire," she said, stroking his arm soothingly. His mistress encouraged him to sit down, coaxing the letter out of his clenched hand. "The Duke's lands are rather small and he comes from an illegitimate line. While the marriage was an impulsive and stupid decision, it is no threat to you."

"No?" he asked, angry. "And how are you so sure of it?"

"Because the King is a great man!" Anne replied, kneeling before him. "He fears no one. He has faced the Emperor, unjust imprisonment. This marriage is practically nothing when compared to what the King has already done."

Francis took a deep breath, nodding at her words. "And what should I do?" he asked.

"Let the Duke and Duchess stay in the Low Countries as your envoys in gilded exile," said Anne. "Have them pay a fine for neglecting to ask your permission, but do not punish them for love. If we put a price on the head of love, then how different are we from any other creature on this land?"

Francis took a deep breath again and nodded. "Very well," he said. "We'll have it your way."

--

Durham House, England. 28th of March, 1528.

Baroness Elizabeth Tailboys had a large smile on her face as she walked down the corridors of the residence, a spring on her step with each movement. It was early morning and the household shared between the two brothers was beginning to wake up and she had just arrived with her younger children, ready to spend the months until her firstborn's birthday with Henry.

When she arrived at his rooms, Bessie smiled at the nurse reading a book by the corner, who stood up to greet her.

"Mary," said Bessie with a smile, "Let me wake up His Grace. I know he was not expecting me and I want to surprise him."

Mary smiled and nodded. Bessie wasted no time in carefully opening and tiptoeing inside Henry's rooms, mindful of not waking him up. The chambers were rather dark, with wooden panels covering the windows to keep out the sunlight from waking him up, but she could still see her son's back turned to her. He often slept on his side.

She sat on the bed and touched his golden curls as she murmured, "Hal?". He said nothing, not even rousing and she chuckled. Bessie leaned closer to him, whispering in his ear, "Hal, mama is here."

She pressed a kiss to his cheek, but quickly moved back. His skin was flushed, burning hot and she finally noticed the breathless way his chest moved as he slept a feverish slee. Bessie felt a small cry leave out her lips before she took a deep breath and turned. "Fetch a physician!" she cried out, hoping against hope that they were not too late.

When she turned back to Henry, Bessie chewed on her lip.

"It's alright, my love," she whispered. "Mama is here." She placed a hand on his forehead, to better feel his temperature and gasped, bringing her palm back at the feeling of his skin.

Where she touched him, her hand was covered in sweat.

--

Château de Rambouillet, France. 3rd of April, 1528.

Elisabeth had found life at the French court to be a constant campaign. In her last marriage, she had enjoyed respect, and been acknowledged as the head of a court that admired her. Often enough, the Queen reminisced of her happy days in Copenhagen whenever she was needed for purposes of states. In those few fleeting moments, her husband would sit beside her and treat her with all the deference deserved to a Queen. But that was only for the sake of the envoys, especially those sent by her brothers, or from her sisters' husbands, who would be offended if they found the little whore standing in her place. Otherwise, she was left completely to herself.

The apartments of the old queen were nothing if not comfortable, and with them came an unexpected addition. A retinue of French ladies who were lacking a mistress to serve. Appointments from her own hand had yet to be officially made and so the women who had once served Claude stood at an impasse. With the time available to her, Elisabeth decided to offer a solution.

The ladies were all exceedingly grateful to maintain their positions, after Elisabeth inquired as to the roles of each and appointed them accordingly as she saw fit. The retinue was incomplete, however. Some ladies, perhaps not seeing any future prospects when their former mistress passed and Francis delayed remarrying, had absconded from court and returned to family homes, a few observing a mourning for their queen and others marrying husbands found in court.

Armed with a retinue of ladies, Elisabeth felt more like a proper Queen of France. She had attendants to occupy her time and offer company, and she had won loyalty in offering them a chance to continue their life at court and in the queen’s inner circle.

That didn’t change the presence of her husband’s latest mistress, a former lady-in-waiting to his own mother, Anne. The girl was all of nineteen or twenty and much too proud to be on the arm of a married king.

Elisabeth was familiar enough with mistresses. After all, hadn’t she endured the presence of Christian’s “little dove”? Dyveke and her mother were a constant at the Danish court and Elisabeth learned to accept them. She had been educated to be a Queen and to turn a blind eye to her husband's flirtations. The Dowager Duchess was sure to raise her nieces to be better than their mother, who never accepted the King's wandering eye.

But this Anne was of different stock. She was a noblewoman, not a commoner, and educated enough to hold Francis’ attention. Elisabeth knew she couldn’t hope to oust the girl, not with Francis held in thrall by her. But she could cut them both with courtesy, and she knew just the woman to help her.

Françoise of Foix had proven to be an altogether unremarkable mistress, or so Elisabeth had heard. The woman did not meddle or play into the political aspect of her role. Perhaps because the King's own mother and sister fulfilled such roles. Or maybe because the King's own wife was the beloved Claude de France, who had not been forced upon the King by his enemy as Elisabeth had.

Either way, Françoise was ideal for her purposes, and came before her new queen looking all too surprised at such a summons.

The woman was tall and dark haired, wearing a blue gown with a similar headdress as she knelt before Elisabeth murmuring, "Madame," under her breath.

The Queen was seated in a high chair, jewels adorning her neck and arms as she was surrounded by some of her ladies. Elisabeth had brought two attendants from the Netherlands with her to France, but they were quickly dismissed by order of the King's mother. There were fears they were spies, though Elisabeth laughed at the mere suggestion of it.

"Arise, Madame de Châteaubriant," Elisabeth murmured and Françoise quickly obeyed, though she kept her eyes demurely focused on the ground before her. "Do you know why I invited you here?"

Françoise shook her head. "No, Madame," she said.

Elisabeth smiled, hoping to convey kindness and affection. “Countess of Châteaubriant, I understand your husband is in Brittany in service to the Dauphin and you find yourself at court alone," she murmured, conveniently leaving out the fact that the King had chosen Madame de Pisseleu over her as part of the reason for her loneliness. By the look on Françoise's face, she imagined the Countess was grateful. "Thus, I have found a remedy for your issue. It would greatly please me to welcome you into my service as a lady-in-waiting. You served my predecessor well, I am told. It stands to reason that you will serve me with just as much grace and humility, I'm sure." Her smile grew, pearly white teeth glinting in the sunlight. Françoise thought she seemed like a lion, ready to pounce upon its prey. "Would you accept this honor?”

The Countess curtsied again. “Your Majesty does me a great service in trusting me with such an offer," she murmured with a high and clear voice. "I will endeavor to serve you to the best of my abilities.” The woman bowed her head, the very picture of humility in contrast to the arrogant simpering fool Francis paraded on his arm.

Elisabeth could only smile as she bid Françoise to rise again and looked at her newest lady-in-waiting. She could already picture the harlot Anne in her mind’s eye, all in fits at her former rival remaining at court in a position of honor among Elisabeth’s ladies. Perhaps Francis would even grow tired of her if she proved too difficult with the news. Elisabeth could only hope.

1st of May, 1528.
  • Kings Langley, England. 1st of May, 1528.

Henry was uncharacteristically quiet when Dr Linacre approached him, face impassive, but with blue eyes full of emotion as the physician bowed before his king. He hesitated, fearful of what might happen if he were to give voice to his findings. The King had not been in the best of moods since word came of the death of the Earl of Somerset, completely understandable given the boy was his eldest son. Linacre, thus, feared what might happen if he were to tell another series of bad news for His Majesty. He could not risk losing his position at court.

"Sire," the man began, careful. Henry looked at him with a focused gaze before he turned back towards the door standing open behind the physician, watching the frightened hens moving around the Queen's bed, "I believe the Queen has the sweat, based on my findings. I have already instructed her ladies as to the best care for her and will even now, return to my chambers to prepare concoctions for her to ingest."

Henry nodded, barely hearing.

It was a late afternoon, the weak sunlight still streaming inside through the glass windows, but the rooms inside the palace were sweltering hot, for the sickness had made everyone fearful of any and every possible draft. All available space was covered by rugs and tapestries, every room fulminated twice a day and the court had been disbanded to prevent the spread of illness. The royal couple had retired to Kings Langley with only a handful of attendants, which included Isabella's two Portuguese ladies that moved about her chambers, tending to the pale figure sprawled on the bed.

Henry turned back to the physician, arms crossed. "What of the bleeding?" he asked, thinking about the heavy flows of blood that had preceded the sweat and her high fever. Dr Linacre took a deep breath, shutting his eyes.

"Her Majesty expelled a miscarried foetus soon after my arrival," he murmured, carefully and with a mourning tone to his voice. "It had the makings of a male around four months of gestation. I asked her ladies and they informed me that while the Queen had an inkling as to her conditions, she preferred not to say anything until the child quickened." Henry nodded. That made sense. Isabella liked to wait for the quickening before she informed him of her pregnancies.

"What killed the child?" asked Henry.

"I believe the Queen's sickness reached her womb first and killed the King's unborn son before she presented the common symptoms of the sweat," said Dr Linacre.

Henry nodded. "Does she remain fertile?"

Dr Linacre blinked before he recomposed himself and said, "I believe that once she recovers, there is no reason to think that Her Majesty won't be able to bear more children."

Henry nodded and uncrossed his arms, nodding with his head towards the open door. "Save her, doctor," he ordered, "Save the Queen."

Dr Linacre bowed and turned around, murmuring 'Your Majesty' as he left to walk to his chambers in search of his concoctions. Henry watched through the open door for another long moment, observing as Mistress Eleanor de Mascarenhas twisted a wet rag over Isabella's flushed forehead, the water dripping on her feverish skin.

Then, Henry turned around and walked away. He walked and walked until he was in his rooms again, kneeling before the religious altar pushed to the wall.

Henry clasped his hands together, praying for the health of his wife and country. He thought of the news that had come. Wolsey grew sick and died only a week previously, the eldest son of Sir John perished from the sweat as well. Not to talk of Henry, his little son. Poor sweet Henry, who would never become a man to rival his father.

Tears burned his eyes. Henry pressed his head against his hands, willing himself not to cry. He remembered his father, telling him that kings did not cry, but the man had wept upon hearing of the death of Arthur. Arthur, gentle Arthur. Was that the curse of kings? To lose their firstborn sons by the sweat?

He thought of John. Sweet little John. His heir, now his eldest son. With dark red hair and blue eyes, high giggles and chubby hands pulling his cheeks and beard whenever Henry took him in his arms.

He wanted his family with him. He wanted Teddy and Bessie, who were trapped in their nurseries until the disease died down, with him. He wanted the entire family together. He wanted. He wanted...

He wanted Elizabeth Seymour with him. She had left him when the disease struck, for her elder brother was sick and he couldn't risk his own health. He was a king. He couldn't die when his son was still a minor. John was all of five years old, he couldn't rule or take care of England.

Henry had to keep England safe. He was the only thing keeping Francis and Charles away from his shores.

But he was still a man, a man with needs. And Elizabeth was exquisite. She made him laugh, she made him happy. He wanted her with him.

After he finished praying, Henry stood up and went to his desk, sitting carefully. First, he wrote a letter to Lady Willoughby, John's old governess who still lived in Ludlow with the prince to head his household and care for his finances. Henry ordered Lady Willoughby to bring his son to the capital as soon as the epidemic ended. Afterwards, he wrote to his cousin, Lady Worcester, informing her that he wanted his second son in the capital again.

Henry did not write to Lady Bryan, since Eltham was already located in London. As soon as he returned home, he'd bring Bessie to him.

So, instead of writing to Lady Bryan, he wrote to Elizabeth Seymour.

To my sweetheart,

The days without you are devoid of any joy or love. I long for your warm embrace, for your gentle kisses and for your sweet voice, which you so often use to sing ballads and hymns of love towards my person.

I have heard of the death of your brother Edward and for that, I send you my deepest condolences as well as a gift of money to handle the funeral costs. If there is anything else you need, feel free to ask, for I am yours and I long only to please you.

For you, I'd ride across the battlefield. Were I not a king, I'd cross the country without fear of the sweat, for the promise of a kiss from you is enough to keep me safe.

As soon as this disease has been dealt with, I beg of you to take whatever you need in your journey to me, for I need you, sweet Elizabeth. Sweet, loving Elizabeth, with the pretty ducklings I trust shortly to kiss. Sweet, cheerful Elizabeth.

Henry R

--

Flanders, Low Countries. 12th of May, 1528.

Christina was walking down the corridors when she heard it. A soft mewling, weak and full of sorrow, like an abandoned kitten hungry for milk. She stopped mid-step, holding the skirts of her nightgown in one hand and turned in search of the sound.

It was late at night and she was only awake because she had been very thirsty. Not because she wanted to steal some sweets from the leftovers of the feast that day. Far from that. Christina was a sweet and dutiful girl. She would never steal sweets from the kitchen, especially when her aunt told her that she should not eat sweets so late in the evening. Even if the idea of sweets made her tummy tumble in excitement.

Christina walked down the corridors in silence, careful to keep her feet light. They were so deep into the servants' wing that there were barely any guards, but she still felt her heart racing when she whispered, "Kitten?"

No one responded, though the mewling stopped for a long second. Christina bit her lip and stepped even further down into the dark wing, the candles melted to nothing more than stumps of light wax.

"Baby cat?" she asked again, keeping her eyes on the floor. "Where are you, sweet baby cat?" Excitement thrummed in her stomach. "Do you miss your mama? I can be your mama, if you want, but you have to be very quiet because my auntie says cats are of the devil!"

She turned and a gasp left her at the sight in the dark corridor, because what had been crying was not a cat at all. It was a little boy with blonde hair and a long white nightgown that covered his legs as he wept, hugging his knees close to his chest.

"I'm not a cat!" Juan de Austria shrieked when she came closer, face shining with tears. "And I'm not a baby!"

Christina watched him for a long moment before she came close and knelt before him.

Juan had arrived earlier that day, sent by his father and her uncle, the Emperor. He was going to inherit the whole of Burgundy and the Low Countries, which meant he had to live in Flanders with her and their aunt to be educated until he was old enough to be named Duke. Aunt Margaret was so very happy when Juan arrived and the entire day had been full of celebrations, with jesters, artisans and tumblers to cheer them and celebrate the arrival of the future ruler.

Juan had been awfully sullen, though, hiding behind the legs of his nurse. The woman, named Dolores, had been sent with Juan to care for him, bathe him and feed him until he was given over to his tutors. Aunt Margaret had also assigned new nurses to also take care of him and Countess Juliana was made his governess, to mold him into the perfect overlord of the Netherlands.

"Why are you crying?" she asked softly. Christina may have been young, only seven years old, but she was very clever for her age, all her tutors commented on it, so she knew how to talk to a boy of two like Juan.

He rose his head, taking big gulping breaths. "I miss my mama!" he cried out, voice high as pearly tears slid down his chubby cheeks. "I want my mama and I want my Abuela Isabel! And I want my sisters María and Juanita! And I want my papa! And I want my mama! And I want them now!"

"But you have to stay here," Christina murmured, "And they have to stay there."

"I don't want to be here," Juan spat out, as if the mere words were poison to him. "I want my mama."

Christina twisted her lips and crawled across the floor, until she was sitting right next to him. Juan didn't say nor do anything, simply rubbing his face furiously.

"I'm not a baby," he said, though he still cried and pouted. "I'm a boy, a big boy."

"I know that," said Christina, "And you're very brave. Coming here must have been really scary."

Juan spared her a glance before he nodded, cleaning his face. "It was," he said. "My tummy didn't feel good."

Christina twisted her lips before she spoke, "I don't have my mother here with me either."

Her words had barely left her mouth before Juan turned to look at her, blue eyes wide.

"Really?" he asked.

"Really," said Christina, nodding. "She married the King of France and she left, but I still send letters to her all the time."

"I don't want no stupid letter," Juan gritted out.

"But letters can help," Christina murmured. "I also send letters to my older sister, Dot. She's going to marry the heir to Denmark, which is where we were born, and be queen someday." She shrugged. "Sometimes, if we don't write letters to each other, I feel like I don't have a sister at all. And that is scary."

Juan nodded. "Very scary," he murmured, face flushed.

Christina smiled. "I know you miss your mama and your sisters," she whispered, "But Aunt Margaret will love you just as much as the Empress does and I will love you as well." She twisted her mouth again. "See, I lost some of my brothers as well. They are in Heaven now, with our grandfather Philip. Some, I have never met, but I miss them dearly." She knocked her shoulder with his. "Why don't we make a deal?"

"A deal?" Juan asked.

"Yes," Christina said, wiggling her eyebrows to make it seem more exciting. "If you want, I can be your sister and you can be my baby brother. Does that sound fun?"

Juan nodded, rubbing his face. "A little," he admitted.

Christina smiled widely and quickly stood up, offering him a hand. "Then come, little brother," she murmured, "It's time for bed."

Juan hesitated before, finally he placed his hand over hers.

25th of May, 1528.
  • Outskirts of Ferrara, Duchy of Ferrara. 25th of May, 1528.

Francesco leaned over the large map depicting the duchy he sought to conquer, most of his advisors surrounding him on all sides. It was unbelievably hot that day, with him sweating profusely under his garments and he ran a hand through his hair, knocking his hat aside in the process. Afterwards, he brought a cup of wine to his lips and greedily drank, thirsty from all the work done.

Beside him, Philibert of Chalus pointed to a spot on the map before them. His long hair whipped about his face due to the wind and his hat had been forcibly stuffed down on his head to keep it from being removed.

"Our men have managed to block some of the outer gates that lead out of the city with stones and wood, trapping the inhabitants inside," he murmured. His long finger moved down. "With that, the three still available entrances are those under our control, which effectively maintains the siege we have been holding for the past month and a half."

Francesco nodded. This was the end, he could feel it. The end of months of work, travelling across the lands of Italy in his quest to enlarge his country, to take the Sforzas to their rightful place as the most powerful family in the peninsula. It had all started with his cunning wife, who wrote letters to her brother detailing what the Emperor should offer to make him change sides during the war, and now it would end with him making her a queen, as she deserved.

They had taken nearly half of the lands under the Duke of Ferrara, including most of Modena and Reggio. Hopefully, by conquering the capital, they would set up a base from which to launch their army even further. Francesco wanted to reach the coast before the end of the year.

"I hear Ercole wishes to make peace," said another one of his advisors. Francesco did not lift up his head to see who it had been, merely grunting out a refusal. "My lord, with all due respect, the army is rather exhausted and terms of peace could allow us to regain our strength before we continue onwards."

"It would also allow Ercole to regain his strength," said Francesco, biting back a curse, "Or to call on the French for help. I hear already that the Duke of Cleves has been attempting to attack the Low Countries in the name of our enemy." The Low Countries were far from Italy, and mostly removed from the war as a land under the Emperor's eye could possibly be, but it felt necessary to say the words to make his refusal have more meaning.

"We have gained many lands, my lord," said another man. Francesco hadn't bothered to learn his name so he simply thought of his bushy beard, which was rather unkempt after so many months on campaign. Beard leaned his head slightly. "It would be best to secure them before we move forward."

"We will secure them once we hold Ferrara," Francesco replied, shaking his head. Why was it so difficult for them to comprehend? If they stopped now, they'd become the laughing stock of Europe, of Italy. Francesco had a dream of kicking back the French to the frog-riddled swamps from where they came from and he would see this dream fulfilled. One way or the other.

Thunderous hooves filled up his ears and he turned around, searching for the sound. Francesco found a sole rider coming to the camp, with a green tunic bearing the sigil of his wife. A pomegranate bursting open to reveal the serpent of Milan. Her motto was written underneath it in gold thread, Prudentia et Constantia.

"Message from the Duchess, my lord," said the rider, handing him a sealed letter. Francesco took it and gave the rider a gold coin, before he turned around and opened the message.

It was written in Caterina's handwriting, though rather sloppy when it had once been perfectly elaborate. Francesco noticed the smudges around some of the words, as if water had fallen on the paper, though in few drops. It seemed to him as if the writer had been crying as they wrote it.

23rd of May, 1528.

To my dear husband and lord,

It is with a heavy heart that I write to tell you of the passing of our sweet daughter, Beatrice. She died peacefully in my arms a few hours past, having felt all the love in the world during her short life on this earth. The physician said it was something to do with her lungs, which we both knew to be weak from birth, and that there was nothing that could have been done.

Though we both know how little effect such words can have. It's why I ask of you to return to Milan, so that we may grieve the loss of our beloved child together. So that we may be a family once more.

I'm waiting for you, my darling,

Written by the hand of your most faithful wife, Caterina.

Francesco averted his eyes from the letter, feeling them burning with unshed tears. Poor sweet Beatrice, born a month too soon. The birth had been difficult and complicated and the child born frail, with little chance to live, and yet she had. She grew, she ate, she slept, even if only a painfully light sleep.

He thought of the last time he saw Beatrice. She seemed to keep her mouth always open, unable to breath through her nose, and she was rather simple when compared to her siblings. She had not yet talked, could barely walk without assistance and yet… and yet…

And yet there seemed to be a glimmer of recognition in her eyes whenever they saw each other and her smiles always came easily. She was a sweet and gentle girl, who could hurt no creature of the Lord. Why had she been taken from him? What great crime had she committed that warranted such an early death?

Francesco closed his fists and the letter crumpled between his fingers. He turned around and walked back to the tent, Beard and the others quickly standing up to talk to him.

"Send a rider to Ferrara," he ordered. "Inform Ercole that I wish to make peace."

12th of June, 1528.
  • Palace of Richmond, England. 12th of June, 1528.

The sun was high on that warm summer's day and Henry had a content smile on his face. He leaned against the chair he was sitting on, hands tightly holding his fishing rod as he sat before a large pond in the deep English country. His hat was tipped over his face to protect his eyes from the light, since he had dismissed the servant that would be holding a shade over him, and he took deep breaths, feeling the pressure easing all over him.

It was a good day. A happy day, even. Henry moved his eyes slightly and saw John and Teddy playing together with small wooden ships, the two brothers sat together. Teddy, much like his mother and little sister, had locks of fair gold hair, while his brother had straight dark red tresses that had been carefully brushed to frame his round face. They were smiling, away enough from the pond for them not to fret over an accident, but still close enough to feel the fresh breeze that came from the body of water.

With the way that the two moved, Henry thought they were mimicking a naval battle of sorts, John's face crumpled as he breathed out harsh sounds that sounded like cannons. Teddy, younger and more foolish than the Prince of Wales, simply rammed his ship on the other, uncaring of strategies or usage of firepower. Although he seemed reckless, and even capable of damaging his brother's toy, John's laughter told Henry not to worry.

He chuckled. It felt good to see his little sons playing together, happily frolicking with ruddy cheeks under the warm and healthy sun. He moved his eyes back to the pond he sat before, the water reflecting light back to him in glowing ripples. The fish seemed to be evading him, but in truth, Henry did not mind.

It was a good day. His family was with him, the sickness seemed to have died down and Isabella had recovered from her own bout of the sweat without major complications. Or any, in fact. It was a good and happy day.

Bessie was toddling about, hand in hand with one of Lady Bryan's nurses. She was wearing a light pink dress with a white cap embroidered with green thread covering her light blonde hair. She was giggling, uncaring of her weak legs that meant she would have fallen were it not for the woman assisting her, bending down to pick up little rocks on her path.

It was a good day. In truth, it would have been a perfect day if Mistress Seymour was present, but with her brother's death, the Seymours had requested leave to remain in Wulfhall to mourn Master Edward. Although Henry had been offended by her refusal to answer her summons, he thought he could understand it. The loss of a sibling was difficult to move past and with the sickness still present in some areas of England, he didn't think it seemingly for her to bring the disease to him.

But it didn't matter. He had his children with him, his two sons and Bessie, who was happily picking up flowers with her nurse. Henry turned to look at Isabella, sat at a table with her ladies just behind him and saw her slight smile as she calmly bit into an apple. She was still pale and rather thin from the ordeal, but she seemed well. She was recovering.

Henry turned back to his fishing. It was a good day. He could hear the giggles of John and Teddy, high and carefree as well as the babbles of Baby Bessie who toddled closer and closer to him, holding a fist full of dandelions that clung to her cheek as the wind blew the fluff away. It was a good day.

In the end, he returned to the palace with only a handful of medium-sized fishes, but John and Teddy insisted on bringing the catch themselves. Henry laughed good-naturedly as he watched them, the two boys groaning as they lift up the catch in their attempt to be as strong as their royal father.

Lady Willoughby, the governess of Prince John, laughed with a large smile on her face when she saw them.

"Look, Lady Willow," said Prince John, showing her the prize. "Look what I fished with papa!"

Lady Willoughby bent down to look at the fishes with a starstruck look on her face. "Incredible, Your Highness," she murmured. "Today's supper will be lavish, I'm sure." John beamed at the praise and Henry stepped forward and placed his hands over his and Edward's shoulders.

"Go on, boys," he murmured. "Hand our catch to the servants and go wash your hands before we eat."

"Yes, father!" said John and Teddy at the same time, handing the fishes off before they ran to their rooms together. Lady Willoughby and Lady Worcester, who was quietly standing by the corner of the room, gave him deep curtsies before they too left, though both women calmly walked behind their charges.

When they left, Henry turned around the room and found Bessie toddling about with her nurse a few steps behind her. He chuckled and walked close to the little girl, her back turned to him. The nurse, noticing his approach, stood up and gave him a deep curtsy that Henry dismissed with a wave of his hand.

"You can go now," he ordered. "Leave me alone with my daughter." The nurse nodded and gave him a deep curtsy before slinking away through a side entrance.

At the sound of the door shutting, Bessie turned around with wide blue-grey eyes and a parted pink mouth. "Where, Nan?" she babbled. "Where?"

"Come here, sweetheart," said Henry, walking to her. Bessie offered him her arms and he picked her up, groaning as he did so. She was rather heavy, but he merely laughed, adjusting her in his hold.

Bessie said nothing, though she gave him a cheeky grin, pulling at his collar and grabbing the chain around his neck with a curious gaze. "You're so beautiful," he murmured, knowing he spoke the truth. Bessie had golden hair and perfect features under a flawlessly white. She would be a great beauty when she grew, just as her mother.

Bessie giggled, tongue peeking out. She had some teeth already, though not all, and her cheeks pinked in pleasure. "Papa beau-ful," she murmured, pressing her palms to his face.

Henry laughed. "Am I beautiful too?" Bessie nodded, pouting slightly. "But you're more beautiful. The most beautiful girl in the whole world."

"Papa," she whispered. "My papa."

He smiled and pulled her closer, helping her lay her head against his shoulder. He felt the guilt blooming high on his stomach, spreading across his chest for having ignored her for so long, for pretending not to care, but of course he cared. He cared just as much about her as he cared for Marie, his daughters. His precious little girls.

"My Elizabeth," he murmured, stroking the fine hair at the nape of her neck.

Hours later, Henry was with Isabella in her rooms, stomach full of a heavy supper. He was trying not to fall asleep, sat at an armchair with a footrest before him. He was almost laying down, eyes heavy-lidded as he attempted to stay awake.

Alertness came only a few minutes in, when he was nearly snoring, with a slight gasp from Isabella that was seated right next to him. Henry snorted himself awake, rumbling like a sleeping lion as he opened his eyes and groaned out, "What is it?"

"A letter from Baroness Howard. Her sister-in-law, Jocasta has died," she murmured. She was holding an open letter, with a deep frown between her thin eyebrows. "It seems Jocasta's husband has little luck and money that comes from his own hard work."

Henry nodded. "Lord Edmund," he said. "I remember him well. Foolish and reckless. Most of his achievements were done through the work of his elder brother."

"Yes, quite right," Isabella said. She twisted her lips. "Jocasta had three daughters with her second husband. Margaret, Mary and Katherine. Baroness Howard fears for the girls, since with their father's lack of money, they will probably be sent to the household of the Dowager Duchess."

"And what is the problem with that?" Henry asked and Isabella shook her head.

"Lady Howard says since the Duchess spends most of her days at court, the girls have little supervision and live carefree lives full of sin," she murmured. "Lady Howard fears for the poor children and their virtues in such a place. She has offered to take two of the girls to raise herself, but requests my assistance in the matter."

Henry nodded. "A very Christian thing for Lady Howard to do," he murmured. "Taking care of poor motherless children." He stopped to think before adjusting his position. "We shall have the youngest girl, Mistress Katherine, join the nursery with our Bessie. She will be safe from sin, well-educated and when our girl leaves for her own marriage, Mistress Howard may very well join her entourage there."

Isabella smiled. "Very well," she said, "I shall write to Lady Howard at this very moment."

---

Madrid, Castile. 14th of June, 1528.

Anne sat before the council as her legs trembled. Charles had left a month before and she still hadn't grown used to the pressures of rulling, or the nerves she felt whenever the nobles of the Spanish Kingdoms turned to look at her for leadership.

When she was fully adjusted in her position, Anne pressed a hand to her mouth, feeling rather billious. No one said anything, the grey old men merely blinking as they waited for her to say something. She was with child again, conceived about a week before her husband left in mid-May, but had not yet announced her condition. Anne feared that if she said anything, they would try to wrestle the regency from her, since she would have to go into confinement at the end and be isolated from the world.

And she would never let that happen.

"Do we have any news from the Emperor, my lords?" she asked when her sickness abated.

It was Señor Belmonte who spoke, "A letter from the Duke of Alba has arrived, Your Majesty." He handed the paper and Anne picked it up, reading the hastily-written scribbles of Alba. "It seems the Emperor has convinced the Pope to crown him and recognize the marriage between his niece Catherine de' Medici and Ludovico Sforza, as well as the payment of a large dowry to Milan."

Anne nodded. That was good.

"And what of the council?" she asked. "I understand His Majesty intended to convene a council to solve the Protestant issue."

"His Holiness shows himself unwilling to hand over such power to the Emperor," said Belmonte. "No word of an approved council has come."

Anne nodded again. "The Emperor is a good diplomat," she murmured. "I'm sure His Majesty will convince His Holiness of the importance in arranging such a meeting."

Señor Belmonte nodded, though he did not smile. Anne moved her eyes around the room, waiting for someone else to speak.

It felt like an eternity before someone did, though Anne didn't know the name of the man. "Some cities on our southern coasts have been raided by pirates, Your Majesty," he murmured. "It's our belief that the man who commands these raiders is Barbarossa, an infidel under the rule of the Ottomans."

"Where is this Barbarossa located?" she asked.

"Algiers, Your Majesty," said another man. This one, Anne did not know. He was a newcomer to court and rather young as well, with a pinched pale face. "It's a city in the northern coast of Africa that until very recently was under Spanish rule, but Barbarossa and his older brother conquered it from us in 1516."

Anne nodded. "And what is your name, my lord?"

"My name is Francesc de Borja, Your Majesty," he said with a smile. "I'm a kinsman to your husband."

Cast - Imperatrix Anna (II)
  • Announced cast for the second season of Imperatrix Anna, which details the life of Anne Boleyn and her rise from relative obscurity to the Imperial crown.

Polly Walker as Duchess Maria of Julich-Cleves-Berg
    origin_1.jpg

Rafaelle Cohen as Françoise de Foix
    c92cc7640ba7f0df08dc11fbfd13eca5a6967477.png

Phoebe Dynevor as Kate Parr
    BRIDGERTON_102_Unit_00220R.jpg

Anya Taylor-Joy as Nan Parr
    b164ed4d947670dbca8db00d9b852042.jpg

Jonathan Bailey as Louis de Orleáns, Duke of Longueville
    e0105f40-b206-11ec-bfdb-89d8b09dff79

Amelia Gething as Anna von Kleve
    d01dc756264c82841ca050debddd4abd11240ddc.jpg

Richard Madden as James V of Scotland
    game-of-thrones-deaths-22-fd2c.jpg

Last edited:
    1st of July, 1528.
  • Düsseldorf, Duchy of Cleves. 1st of July, 1528.

Maria of Jülich-Berg picked up the piece of cloth with nimble fingers, squeezing it to let out a stream of clear and cold water before she pressed it to her face. She observed herself against the mirror as she calmly cleaned her features, her reddish-blonde hair tied into a knot as she prepared herself to sleep.

It was a late evening, but she did not allow herself to be rushed, seeing as there was nothing important to be done in the morning. Maria cleaned her face with a focused expression, not permitting anything to distract her from the task. She did, however, allow her thoughts to wander as she rubbed the cloth around her cheeks.

Maria thought of many things. She thought of her husband, of Cleves and Jülich and Berg. But mainly, she thought of her children. She thought of her daughter Sybille and the news that had come from Saxony, the rather happy news. She thought of baby Amalia with her dark curls and eager desire to learn everything that pertained to Sweden. She thought of Wilhelm and his French lessons, the same lessons she had struggled to accept for so long, having always considered French to be an overrated and vulgar language.

She thought as well of her favorite child, Anna. Sweet and gentle Anna, with a kind heart and even kinder eyes, always dutiful and striving to please those around her. She would make a fine wife for any man, but she couldn't just marry any man. Maria would not let her husband condemn Anna's immortal soul for the sake of politics.

She began to wonder what sort of husband would be suitable for Anna. Her sisters had been married to Kings, or Princely Electors and Anna deserved just as much as them, if not more. She deserved a king like Amalia, but with as much stability in his realm and royal lineage in his veins as Sybille.

A knock came to the door and Maria turned to see what it was as Adelheid came inside. She curtsied before she spoke, "Lady Anna has arrived, my lady."

Maria nodded. "Send her in," she said. She had already turned back to the mirror when the door opened once more and Anna, her sweet and darling Anna, came in. Her daughter smiled and made a curtsy. She was wearing a yellow dressing gown over her night dress and her hair had been carefully braided before she went to sleep.

"You wanted to see me, Lady Mother?" Anna asked when she rose up, face beaming. Maria smiled as well and extended a hand, having already dropped the damp cloth away, beckoning her child closer.

"Come here, my daughter," she said and Anna came closer. Maria scooted a little at her seat, allowing Anna to sit with one leg on the chair and another over Maria's lap. When they were both comfortable, the Duchess circled an arm around Anna's waist as she took her pinched chin with her other hand, directing her gaze at the mirror before them. "Do you know why I asked you here, Anna?"

Anna shook her head. "I don't, Lady Mother," she said with a slight pout. Maria couldn't help but smile. Her child was so dutiful and obedient that it displeased herself to be unaware of what her mother wished.

"Look in the mirror, sweetheart," said Maria and Anna averted her eyes from her mother's face to the mirror, staring at their reflections, which stared back at them. "What do you see?"

Anna frowned at the question, confused, but her face took on a focused expression soon enough before she finally said, "I see the two of us, Lady Mother."

Maria hummed. This was not the answer she was looking for, but she would not let that deter her. Anna's future was on the line. She could not jeopardise such a thing.

Anna was a pretty young thing, with light blonde hair and heavy-lidded eyes. She had some unfortunate smallpox scars on her cheeks, but those could be easily ignored by any good man. Besides, her earnest expressions and soft gazes mader her even more beautiful than she already was, turning a normal girl into a lovely thing.

"Do you know what I see, my child?" Maria asked. "I see a duchess and I see a future queen."

"Future queen, mama?" Anna turned to her with wide eyes, disbelief clear on her face. "Really?"

"Oh yes," said Maria, stroking down Anna's face. "I swear to you, my darling, I shall see you married to a great prince like your sisters. Even if I have to do it myself."

"Thank you, mama," Anna said, beaming. She took Maria's hand and kissed her knuckles, laying her cheek against them. "Thank you for wishing to make such a splendid match for me."

Maria chuckled and stroked Anna's face once more. Then, an idea came to her.

"I think it's time you sat for a portrait, my dear," she murmured. "You are a woman now and the world must see it." Besides, the court painter would soon leave for other courts of Europe, to paint other rulers and handsome single Catholic kings and he would need a portrait to show off his skils.

Or at least, that's what Maria would pay for him to say.

18th of July, 1528.
  • Madrid, Castile. 18th of July, 1528.

The creature was a strange one. It was a bird, or at least they claimed to be a bird, but far larger than the pheasants she was used to. Larger and wilder too, as well, cawing at every single it saw as it walked around the room with a suspicious gaze. It had a long neck, with a slightly blue-toned head and dark but colourful feathers.

When Anne stepped closer, the creature shrieked loudly at her and she flinched, putting a hand to her throat. "Oh, good Lord," she murmured, frightened as the group of men around her seemed stuck in their places. The bird moved about the throne room, with another of its brothers picking at the tapestries hanging from the wall.

"Be careful, Madam," said Francesc beside her. "I fear they may not be used to polite company."

"Forgive us, Your Majesty," said one of the adventurers who had brought the birds for her inspection. He had wide eyes at the idea of offending the wife of Caesar, the greatest ruler in all of Christendom. "They were rather well-behaved on the journey here."

Anne nodded, biting her lip nervously. Then, she looked at the three men present, who came bearing the haul from the New World. Gold, precious jewels and the two frightening birds. "What is the name of this creature?"

"The locals call it wueh-xōlō-tl," said another of the adventurers, "And so, we have begun to refer to them as guajolote."

Anne nodded. "Guajolote," she murmured. "Can we eat their meat?"

"Yes, Your Majesty. The guajolotes are quite tasty and they make an important part of the diet of local populations," they answered. "If Her Majesty would like, we could ask the cooks to prepare one of these specimens for your supper tonight."

Anne hesitated before she nodded with a small smile, watching the relief flood the faces of the men around her. Then, she looked at the chests of gold and other riches that they had brought.

The money might assist her husband in his wars, but he had many other lands to suck dry. And she did not agree with these wars. In fact, she was completely against them, for they took too much from the common people of Spain. They took too much from her, driving her husband away and leaving her alone in a land she did not know with people who did not like her. How was this fair? To willingly send funds for something that she did not approve of?

No. Charles had named her regent. He gave her the powers to do as she saw fit in the Spanish realms and that is what she would do. The Crowns of Castile and Aragon needed the money as well, maybe just as much or even more than Charles did. There were schools and hospitals to be built and entire villages to be rebuilt after the infidel Barbarossa had sacked their southern coast.

"Half of the gold will fill our treasuries," Anne murmured, thinking. She thought it would be good to have some of the money for safe-keeping, in case it became needed in the future, "And the other half will be used to rebuild our strengths and fortifications in the southern coast of Granada and Castile."

"Yes, Your Majesty," said Señor Belmonte, who had been attending the meeting as well, though he remained mostly quiet.

Anne observed as the adventurers led the guajolotes away to their deaths as well as the arrival of guards and the royal steward who came to pick up the chests of gold to be used as she had ordered. She took a deep breath, feeling the acidic burn at the back of her throat recede and tried to tell herself to relax.

It was a good day. Or it had been right until the arrival of those who explored the New World. Anne had attended Mass early in the morning and felt a sense of peace inside of her. She visited the nursery afterwards.

Felipe was five now and María, four, with Juanita having just turned two last December. They shrieked their delight at the sight of her and wanted to say all they had done so far, which included prayers, breaking their fast and much playing. Anne had named her mother as their governess and Lady Elizabeth watched over her grandchildren with a devoted gaze, instructing the maids all around her how to best care for them.

Felipe was old enough to be handed over to his tutors and his guardian, but Anne was loath to give him away. Especially to someone she did not trust. Her father clearly expected her to choose him for the position, but Anne knew she ought to appoint a Spaniard with a good position at court that would mould her son into the perfect King of Castile and Aragon.

Were Francesc not too young, being just under eighteen, she would have named him. Francesc was good to her, gentle and pious, with a good head, but he was also Valencian, which did not work in his favour. She twisted her lips as she thought. The man who would be entrusted with her son had to be Castilian, as they were the most powerful and richest of the Iberian people under Charles’ rule. He had not given her a list of men he thought suitable, probably because he did not imagine himself missing his son’s fifth birthday and intended to be present to make the appointment himself.

Anne had very recently received a letter from Rodrigo Díaz de Vivar y Mendoza, whose younger brother had been replaced by Germana de Foix as Viceroy of Valencia. Rodrigo was ill and asked that she take in his two daughters, Mencía and María as her ladies and to arrange good matches for them. The Mendozas were very powerful and the Second Marquess of Mondéjar was a close friend of Charles that remained loyal to him even during the Comuneros’ Revolt, despite his sister and her husband being one of the leaders of the rebellion.

It would not hurt to befriend them. To find good matches for Mencía and María, who were twenty and eighteen. Perhaps even name Luis Hurtado as Felipe’s guardian.

Anne looked at Francesc, who awaited her movements and commands. When he noticed her staring at him, Francesc smiled shyly. “How may I help you, Madam?” he asked, serious.

“Come here, mi señor,” Anne said, beckoning him closer. When Francesc was sufficiently near her, she linked their arms, smiling brightly. “I believe I have found you a wife.”

--

Buda, Kingdom of Hungary. 1st of August, 1528.

It was a warm and sunny day, though not entirely suffocating in heat. Ferdinand had a calm smile on his face as he rode into the city, wearing his full regalia and watching the common people coming out of their homes and shops to observe the royal procession that triumphantly entered the capital of Hungary.

Ján Zápoľský was dead and he, Ferdinand of Austria, was the undisputed King of Hungary, beyond already being the King of Bohemia. The lesser nobility had failed in acquiring a native king, being forced to agree to the terms between Emperor Maximilian and King Vladislaus. Although Ferdinand was grateful for his grandfather’s work resulting in a crown atop his brow, he could not deny his own work in guaranteeing Hungary. He had been the one who refused any sort of reconciliation with Ján, which had Charles doing the same, declaring that he was the only King of the Magyars. Charles’ actions saw ripples across Europe in the form of refusals by most royals, excluding France, who demanded military assistance in the war in return for their acceptance.

But this did not come to pass, even if Ján Zápoľský ever considered accepting Francis’ demands. Ferdinand had funded and incited Slavonic peasants to rebel in the south, which drove away Ján from the capital. He had initially hoped to come to Hungary with an army that could take Buda, but Ján’s death soon after dealing with the rebels from what amounted to drinking tainted water led to his supporters sending letters of acceptance by the hundreds to Prague before he had even prepared his departure from Bohemia. He was amassing his forces when a rider came, sent by Anna, and instead of coming to his new kingdom at the head of an army, he did so before a royal procession.

And this was clear in the face of the people, who waved their hats and bowed before him. It had taken another month to prepare his journey to Hungary. At first, he had told Anna to remain in Bohemia with the children since he hoped to keep them safe from the war and Maximilian was his heir, with baby Ferry after him. Even Liesl and Anke could inherit his dominions and there was no other life more precious than theirs, though maybe Anna was a strong contender, for she was their mother and responsible for their well-bringing.

When they arrived at the Royal Castle, Ferdinand smiled at the sight of Maria standing before the entrance, with the entire royal court behind her. It had been some years since he saw her last, after he arrived in Vienna to marry Anna and before she left for her own marriage. It was their first meeting and rather tense, even though they were siblings. They had never met before, since he grew up in Castile and she, in Flanders and then Vienna and they hadn't exchanged many letters before.

But this time, it was different. Ferdinand felt his face soften at the sight of his sister and he gestured for the procession to stop, quickly dismounting. His surcoat moved about his body and he adjusted his hat carefully as he walked to her, seeing the entire welcoming party dipping into deep curtsies.

"Arise, sister," said Ferdinand when he stepped before Maria. He took her hands in his as she straightened, smiling. "You must never bow to me."

She was wearing black. It was perhaps the first thing he noticed, despite her serious and utterly neutral face. Although her husband had died two years before, and her son even before that, she still seemed to mourn them both deeply. On her chest, Ferdinand noticed a heart-shaped golden locket.

"Brother," she murmured, her voice dripping with neutral indifference, "Welcome to Hungary."

Family Tree - Spanish Habsburgs
  • Emperor Charles V of the Holy Roman Empire (February 1500-) m. Anne Boleyn (1503-)
    1. Felipe, Prince of Asturias (April 1523-);
    2. María of Austria (April 1524-);
    3. Juan, Duke of Burgundy (January 1526-);
    4. Juana of Austria (December 1526-);
    5. Unborn child due March 1529.

Family Tree - Austrian Habsburgs
  • King Ferdinand I of Bohemia and Hungary (March 1503-) m. Anna of Bohemia and Hungary (July 1503-)
    1. Elizabeth of Austria (July 1525-)
    2. Maximilian of Austria (July 1526-)
    3. Anna of Austria (July 1527-)
    4. Ferdinand of Austria (June 1528- )

Family Tree - Sforza
  • Duke Francesco II of Milan (February 1495-) m. Catalina of Austria (January 1507-)
    1. Ludovico Sforza (October 1523-) m. Caterina de' Medici (April 1519-)
    2. Massimiliano Sforza (September 1524-)
    3. Margherita Sforza (November 1525-)
    4. Beatrice Sforza (August 1526-May 1528)
    5. Francesco Sforza (October 1527-)

Family Tree - Tudor
  • Changed to include only the children who were born alive.

King Henry VIII of England (1491-) m. a) Catherine of Aragon (1485-1523); b) Isabella of Portugal (1503-). Affairs with: c) Elizabeth 'Bessie' Blount (1498- ); d) Luisa Borja (1500-1526)
    1. a) Henry, Duke of Cornwall (January 1511- February 1511). Lived for almost two months.
    2. a) Mary Tudor (February 1516-);
    3. c) Henry Fitzroy (June 1519-1528). Illegitimate;
    4. a) John, Prince of Wales (January 1523-). Twin to Katherine;
    5. a) Katherine Tudor (January 1523-December 1523). Twin to John, lived for almost an entire year;
    6. b) Edward, Duke of York (August 1524-);
    7. d) Pierre Fitzroy (June 1526-). Illegitimate;
    8. b) Elizabeth Tudor (June 1527-)

Last edited:
    Family Tree - Bullens
  • Georg, Duke of Württemberg (1504-) m. Johanna of Hanau-Lichtenberg (1507-)
    1. Anna Bullen (August 1526-) b. Theodor of Bavaria (February 1526-)
    2. Karl Ferdinand Bullen (September 1527-)

24th of August, 1528.
  • Ludlow Castle, Welsh Marches. 24th of August, 1528.

John bit his tongue as he held tightly onto the quill, attempting to follow his tutor's instructions and copy both the text and its translation in his journal. He was having a Latin lesson, and Latin was a language. A language which was very important for him to learn, because he was going to be King one day and Latin was the language of the Lord and the Lord had to speak to him as He spoke to his father and tell him what to do in regards to England.

England was his country and he was going to be her king someday, when his lord father ascended to Heaven, but Lady Willow said this would not happen for many and many years yet. John hoped it would never happen because he loved his father and he would be very very sad if his papa left England for Heaven.

Lady Willow said his mother was in Heaven. Not Mother Isabella, the only mother he knew and whom he loved dearly, but Mother Catherine who gave birth to him and to his twin sister, Katherine. Kathy had died as did Mother Catherine when John was too young to remember. Sometimes, he was sad about it, especially because he thought it would be very fun to have a twin, but most of the time, he didn't really mind it.

This was his life. It had always been his life. He knew no other life. In fact, John could barely even remember his older sister Marie and she wasn't dead. She was only living in France, because she was going to marry their future king and had to stay there. For some reason. He missed her, or he missed having an older sister, because now he was the eldest whenever he went home and he had to be… elderly.

John thought of marriage as he wrote about a story from the old times, about a man named Julius Caesar who did many things in a place called Rome. His papa said he was going to marry a princess from Portugal, and Mama said she was born in Portugal and that it was a great land full of great princesses.

Papa said Infanta Manuela was going to be his wife and he gave him a portrait of a little girl with red curls and a similarly red dress. John didn't think she looked wifely. She was a baby and younger than him by three years! Even Teddy was older than her and John's brother was a real baby. So baby he couldn't even wear breeches yet, or have lessons with his tutors. Why would he want a wife that couldn't wear breeches? That was silly.

His tutor stopped beside him. "Your Highness, pay attention please," he said. John bit his lip, noticing how tightly the quill was clenched in his hand and tried to relax, nodding.

"Yes, Master Pole," John said, returning his eyes to his study. He heard Harry Brandon snickering behind him and his cheeks flush at the sound of him whispering in Hal Courtenay's ear.

John was still blushing furiously when their lessons ended and he and the other boys were led to the dining hall by Lady Willow for their midday meal. Charlie Howard walked beside him, face pale after Master Pole chastised him for his mistakes and the two friends did not talk at all.

John was, at six, rather big for his age. The physician at Ludlow said he was over four feet tall and that he might grow to surpass his father in height, which was funny, because Father was the biggest, largest man in all of England. Whenever he picked up John in his arms, he felt as if he was on top of the world.

But while John was tall, Charlie was not. He was short and skinny, with a hooked nose that Harry Brandon liked to laugh about, calling him a parrot. John didn't even know what a parrot was, but he knew Charlie did not like Harry's teasing and that made him angry.

What made him even more angry was when they were crossing a rather empty corridor, Charlie gasped behind him, shoved forward. John turned around to see what had happened and saw as Harry Brandon brought his hands back with a smug smile.

"Boys!" said Lady Willow, turning to see what had happened, but John did not pay attention to her. Instead, he saw when Harry walked around Charlie, with Hal snickering behind him.

"You walk too slow!" Harry exclaimed, looking at Charlie, who was still on the ground.

John sighed and bent down, offering his friend a hand. Charlie accepted it and he helped him stand up, adjusting his blue doublet and breeches as Charlie rubbed his chin with a sore-looking face.

When his friend finally smiled at him in thanks, John turned to Harry, who had gone back to walking about as if nothing had happened.

"Say you're sorry, Lincoln," John murmured. Harry turned to him.

"No," he answered. "My maman said it's a terrible thing to lie."

John stomped his feet. "My maman said it's a terrible thing to hurt your friends, so say you're sorry!" he demanded.

"Boys," Lady Willow murmured, sounding tired, "Let us all calm down and solve this rationally."

"Charlie is not my friend!" Harry shrieked. "I'm not friends with ugly idiots like him!"

"Charlie is not ugly!" John shot back. "He's my best friend and you can't say those bad words about him!"

"Yes, I can," Harry responded. He crossed his arms, looking very pleased with himself. "What will you do about it?"

John took a deep breath, shaking with anger, before answered, "This!"

With his two stretched arms, John shoved at Harry's shoulders and watched him fall to the ground with a loud thud. He shrieked and Lady Willow gasped, even when Harry brought his hands back to catch himself and he stared at John with anger in his eyes.

"You can't do that!" said Harry. "My uncle is the King! He will be very cross with you!"

Charlie, emboldened by John's support, stepped forward, but John did not let him say anything, "The King is my father, you idiot," he answered, "And the King won't let a meany like you win!"

"Boys!" Lady Willow said again in a loud and stern voice. John straightened up at the sound of it, looking up at his old governess as she came to grab his hand. "What sort of behaviour is this, from a future king and a future duke? Cousins at that?" She shook her head. "I don't think either of you deserve leisure time this afternoon. No, I don't." She tugged at John's hand. "Now, come on. We are late for our midday meal and afterwards, both of you will return to your rooms and stay there save for lessons and supper!"

"What?" Harry cried out. "But it's not fair!"

"Yes, it is," Lady Willow said with a serious face. She tugged at their hands again. "Now, come on!"

John had no choice but to obey.

Later, after he had his afternoon classes of fencing and bow and arrow-ing, John sat on his bed as he thought of the other boys playing in the gardens during their leisure time and how jealous he was of them.

He had his arms crossed, pouting, as he pondered on how unfair everything was. He was defending Charlie from Harry and yet, he was also punished. That was not fair. Not fair at all.

Lady Willow said they could be released from their punishment if they apologized to each other with feelings, but both he and Harry refused. He was not sorry for defending his best friend and he would have as many leisureless days as it took to do so. Charlie was his best friend.

The door to his chambers creaked open and he didn't stop staring at the ceiling, or rather the roof of his bed. Then, his curiosity won out and John sneaked a peek at the person coming his way.

It was Lady Willow with a soft smile on her face. She sat on the bed beside him, looking at him with a very motherly expression.

"Your Highness, I know why you did what you did," she said. "Defending Master Howard was an honourable action, but to hurt Lord Lincoln was the wrong choice to make."

John looked at the roof again. "Harry is stupid," he said, "And I will not let him treat Charlie like that."

She chuckled before her face sobered up. "Harry made a mistake," she murmured. "Would you like to be shoved around whenever you make a mistake?"

He continued pouting before her words finally made sense in his head. Then, he sighed and shook his head.

"No," he admitted in a low voice.

"Exactly," Lady Willow said. "John, you are older than Harry and one day, you will be his king. You need to teach him the true Christian way, because otherwise, by hurting him, you lose your ground and your morals."

John nodded. He bit his lips, tears bubbling in his eyes. "Lady Willow?" he called out softly.

"Yes, Your Highness?"

"Do you still love me?"

Lady Willow smiled. "Of course, I do, Your Highness," she said. "There's nothing in this world that would keep me from loving you."

More at ease, John nodded and accepted the kiss she placed atop his head. Lady Willow left after a moment and he was alone once more until the door creaked open again and Charlie's head popped inside.

"John?" he called out in a loud whisper. "I brought some plums from the kitchens."

The Prince giggled and sat up, calling out for his friend and Charlie ran to the bed, exposing the sugared plums he was hiding on his shirt.

After they ate, the two boys fell asleep on the bed, holding hands.

Cast - Rise of the Scots
  • Announced cast for the first season of Rise of the Scots, a new tv show detailing the rise of Scotland as a world power during the reign of King james V.

Jessica Raine as Dowager Queen Margaret
    cd6108ac1ab670a39bc56c416e9d235155ca61b9.png

Max Irons as Archibald Douglas, the Earl of Angus
    White+QUeen+Edward+episode+7.jpg

Francesco Montanari as Alexander Stewart, Dean of Brechin
    i-medici-3-cast.jpg

Bella Ramsey as Lady Margaret Douglas
    becoming-elizabeth-bella-ramsey.jpg

Matthew Macfadyen as John Stewart, Duke of Albany
    c9d55df26aa7e4b531ccdaebf68b047b.jpg

Last edited: