An Imperial Match: Anne Boleyn marries Charles V

I think this Anne is softer and less fiery because a) she's younger than Anne was during her queenship and b) yeah, she's disliked but her position is secure. Charles isn't gonna send her away, not now that he had two sons by her, two daughters and another baby on the way. She can afford to be softer since she doesn't have to put on the façade of regality as often.
She probably has less pressure on her and so is more relaxed and, dare I say it, happier.

Cast - Imperatrix Anna (II)
Announced cast for the second season of Imperatrix Anna, which details the life of Anne Boleyn and her rise from relative obscurity to the Imperial crown.

Polly Walker as Duchess Maria of Julich-Cleves-Berg
origin_1.jpg

Rafaelle Cohen as Françoise de Foix
c92cc7640ba7f0df08dc11fbfd13eca5a6967477.png

Phoebe Dynevor as Kate Parr
BRIDGERTON_102_Unit_00220R.jpg

Anya Taylor-Joy as Nan Parr
b164ed4d947670dbca8db00d9b852042.jpg

Jonathan Bailey as Louis de Orleáns, Duke of Longueville
e0105f40-b206-11ec-bfdb-89d8b09dff79

Amelia Gething as Anna von Kleve
d01dc756264c82841ca050debddd4abd11240ddc.jpg

Richard Madden as James V of Scotland
game-of-thrones-deaths-22-fd2c.jpg

Last edited:
1st of July, 1528.
Düsseldorf, Duchy of Cleves. 1st of July, 1528.

Maria of Jülich-Berg picked up the piece of cloth with nimble fingers, squeezing it to let out a stream of clear and cold water before she pressed it to her face. She observed herself against the mirror as she calmly cleaned her features, her reddish-blonde hair tied into a knot as she prepared herself to sleep.

It was a late evening, but she did not allow herself to be rushed, seeing as there was nothing important to be done in the morning. Maria cleaned her face with a focused expression, not permitting anything to distract her from the task. She did, however, allow her thoughts to wander as she rubbed the cloth around her cheeks.

Maria thought of many things. She thought of her husband, of Cleves and Jülich and Berg. But mainly, she thought of her children. She thought of her daughter Sybille and the news that had come from Saxony, the rather happy news. She thought of baby Amalia with her dark curls and eager desire to learn everything that pertained to Sweden. She thought of Wilhelm and his French lessons, the same lessons she had struggled to accept for so long, having always considered French to be an overrated and vulgar language.

She thought as well of her favorite child, Anna. Sweet and gentle Anna, with a kind heart and even kinder eyes, always dutiful and striving to please those around her. She would make a fine wife for any man, but she couldn't just marry any man. Maria would not let her husband condemn Anna's immortal soul for the sake of politics.

She began to wonder what sort of husband would be suitable for Anna. Her sisters had been married to Kings, or Princely Electors and Anna deserved just as much as them, if not more. She deserved a king like Amalia, but with as much stability in his realm and royal lineage in his veins as Sybille.

A knock came to the door and Maria turned to see what it was as Adelheid came inside. She curtsied before she spoke, "Lady Anna has arrived, my lady."

Maria nodded. "Send her in," she said. She had already turned back to the mirror when the door opened once more and Anna, her sweet and darling Anna, came in. Her daughter smiled and made a curtsy. She was wearing a yellow dressing gown over her night dress and her hair had been carefully braided before she went to sleep.

"You wanted to see me, Lady Mother?" Anna asked when she rose up, face beaming. Maria smiled as well and extended a hand, having already dropped the damp cloth away, beckoning her child closer.

"Come here, my daughter," she said and Anna came closer. Maria scooted a little at her seat, allowing Anna to sit with one leg on the chair and another over Maria's lap. When they were both comfortable, the Duchess circled an arm around Anna's waist as she took her pinched chin with her other hand, directing her gaze at the mirror before them. "Do you know why I asked you here, Anna?"

Anna shook her head. "I don't, Lady Mother," she said with a slight pout. Maria couldn't help but smile. Her child was so dutiful and obedient that it displeased herself to be unaware of what her mother wished.

"Look in the mirror, sweetheart," said Maria and Anna averted her eyes from her mother's face to the mirror, staring at their reflections, which stared back at them. "What do you see?"

Anna frowned at the question, confused, but her face took on a focused expression soon enough before she finally said, "I see the two of us, Lady Mother."

Maria hummed. This was not the answer she was looking for, but she would not let that deter her. Anna's future was on the line. She could not jeopardise such a thing.

Anna was a pretty young thing, with light blonde hair and heavy-lidded eyes. She had some unfortunate smallpox scars on her cheeks, but those could be easily ignored by any good man. Besides, her earnest expressions and soft gazes mader her even more beautiful than she already was, turning a normal girl into a lovely thing.

"Do you know what I see, my child?" Maria asked. "I see a duchess and I see a future queen."

"Future queen, mama?" Anna turned to her with wide eyes, disbelief clear on her face. "Really?"

"Oh yes," said Maria, stroking down Anna's face. "I swear to you, my darling, I shall see you married to a great prince like your sisters. Even if I have to do it myself."

"Thank you, mama," Anna said, beaming. She took Maria's hand and kissed her knuckles, laying her cheek against them. "Thank you for wishing to make such a splendid match for me."

Maria chuckled and stroked Anna's face once more. Then, an idea came to her.

"I think it's time you sat for a portrait, my dear," she murmured. "You are a woman now and the world must see it." Besides, the court painter would soon leave for other courts of Europe, to paint other rulers and handsome single Catholic kings and he would need a portrait to show off his skils.

Or at least, that's what Maria would pay for him to say.

Yes I could! I have yet to watch the second season. How was it? I liked the first one, even if some of it was a bit too steamy for my tastes.
It was a lot less steamy than the first season. It was less sexual and more sensual, but there was a lot of yearning which is *chefs kiss*

I’m loving the idea of Anna as Queen of Scotland. I wonder how she’ll react to James’s infidelities.
We'll see if she even goes (hihihi im so subtle) but honestly, although she wasn't happy meeting Mary and Elizabeth due to them being bastards, she got over her feelings very quickly, especially due to Bessie's personality so she probably will take it all in stride.

Düsseldorf, Duchy of Cleves. 1st of July, 1528.

Maria of Jülich-Berg picked up the piece of cloth with nimble fingers, squeezing it to let out a stream of clear and cold water before she pressed it to her face. She observed herself against the mirror as she calmly cleaned her features, her reddish-blonde hair tied into a knot as she prepared herself to sleep.

It was a late evening, but she did not allow herself to be rushed, seeing as there was nothing important to be done in the morning. Maria cleaned her face with a focused expression, not permitting anything to distract her from the task. She did, however, allow her thoughts to wander as she rubbed the cloth around her cheeks.

Maria thought of many things. She thought of her husband, of Cleves and Jülich and Berg. But mainly, she thought of her children. She thought of her daughter Sybille and the news that had come from Saxony, the rather happy news. She thought of baby Amalia with her dark curls and eager desire to learn everything that pertained to Sweden. She thought of Wilhelm and his French lessons, the same lessons she had struggled to accept for so long, having always considered French to be an overrated and vulgar language.

She thought as well of her favorite child, Anna. Sweet and gentle Anna, with a kind heart and even kinder eyes, always dutiful and striving to please those around her. She would make a fine wife for any man, but she couldn't just marry any man. Maria would not let her husband condemn Anna's immortal soul for the sake of politics.

She began to wonder what sort of husband would be suitable for Anna. Her sisters had been married to Kings, or Princely Electors and Anna deserved just as much as them, if not more. She deserved a king like Amalia, but with as much stability in his realm and royal lineage in his veins as Sybille.

A knock came to the door and Maria turned to see what it was as Adelheid came inside. She curtsied before she spoke, "Lady Anna has arrived, my lady."

Maria nodded. "Send her in," she said. She had already turned back to the mirror when the door opened once more and Anna, her sweet and darling Anna, came in. Her daughter smiled and made a curtsy. She was wearing a yellow dressing gown over her night dress and her hair had been carefully braided before she went to sleep.

"You wanted to see me, Lady Mother?" Anna asked when she rose up, face beaming. Maria smiled as well and extended a hand, having already dropped the damp cloth away, beckoning her child closer.

"Come here, my daughter," she said and Anna came closer. Maria scooted a little at her seat, allowing Anna to sit with one leg on the chair and another over Maria's lap. When they were both comfortable, the Duchess circled an arm around Anna's waist as she took her pinched chin with her other hand, directing her gaze at the mirror before them. "Do you know why I asked you here, Anna?"

Anna shook her head. "I don't, Lady Mother," she said with a slight pout. Maria couldn't help but smile. Her child was so dutiful and obedient that it displeased herself to be unaware of what her mother wished.

"Look in the mirror, sweetheart," said Maria and Anna averted her eyes from her mother's face to the mirror, staring at their reflections, which stared back at them. "What do you see?"

Anna frowned at the question, confused, but her face took on a focused expression soon enough before she finally said, "I see the two of us, Lady Mother."

Maria hummed. This was not the answer she was looking for, but she would not let that deter her. Anna's future was on the line. She could not jeopardise such a thing.

Anna was a pretty young thing, with light blonde hair and heavy-lidded eyes. She had some unfortunate smallpox scars on her cheeks, but those could be easily ignored by any good man. Besides, her earnest expressions and soft gazes mader her even more beautiful than she already was, turning a normal girl into a lovely thing.

"Do you know what I see, my child?" Maria asked. "I see a duchess and I see a future queen."

"Future queen, mama?" Anna turned to her with wide eyes, disbelief clear on her face. "Really?"

"Oh yes," said Maria, stroking down Anna's face. "I swear to you, my darling, I shall see you married to a great prince like your sisters. Even if I have to do it myself."

"Thank you, mama," Anna said, beaming. She took Maria's hand and kissed her knuckles, laying her cheek against them. "Thank you for wishing to make such a splendid match for me."

Maria chuckled and stroked Anna's face once more. Then, an idea came to her.

"I think it's time you sat for a portrait, my dear," she murmured. "You are a woman now and the world must see it." Besides, the court painter would soon leave for other courts of Europe, to paint other rulers and handsome single Catholic kings and he would need a portrait to show off his skils.

Or at least, that's what Maria would pay for him to say.
Nice to see Maria properly putting Anna on the market and having her portrait shown abroad by a court painter who can attest to her virtues and appearance definitely would help Anna attract someone curious to meet and possibly marry her.

18th of July, 1528.
Madrid, Castile. 18th of July, 1528.

The creature was a strange one. It was a bird, or at least they claimed to be a bird, but far larger than the pheasants she was used to. Larger and wilder too, as well, cawing at every single it saw as it walked around the room with a suspicious gaze. It had a long neck, with a slightly blue-toned head and dark but colourful feathers.

When Anne stepped closer, the creature shrieked loudly at her and she flinched, putting a hand to her throat. "Oh, good Lord," she murmured, frightened as the group of men around her seemed stuck in their places. The bird moved about the throne room, with another of its brothers picking at the tapestries hanging from the wall.

"Be careful, Madam," said Francesc beside her. "I fear they may not be used to polite company."

"Forgive us, Your Majesty," said one of the adventurers who had brought the birds for her inspection. He had wide eyes at the idea of offending the wife of Caesar, the greatest ruler in all of Christendom. "They were rather well-behaved on the journey here."

Anne nodded, biting her lip nervously. Then, she looked at the three men present, who came bearing the haul from the New World. Gold, precious jewels and the two frightening birds. "What is the name of this creature?"

"The locals call it wueh-xōlō-tl," said another of the adventurers, "And so, we have begun to refer to them as guajolote."

Anne nodded. "Guajolote," she murmured. "Can we eat their meat?"

"Yes, Your Majesty. The guajolotes are quite tasty and they make an important part of the diet of local populations," they answered. "If Her Majesty would like, we could ask the cooks to prepare one of these specimens for your supper tonight."

Anne hesitated before she nodded with a small smile, watching the relief flood the faces of the men around her. Then, she looked at the chests of gold and other riches that they had brought.

The money might assist her husband in his wars, but he had many other lands to suck dry. And she did not agree with these wars. In fact, she was completely against them, for they took too much from the common people of Spain. They took too much from her, driving her husband away and leaving her alone in a land she did not know with people who did not like her. How was this fair? To willingly send funds for something that she did not approve of?

No. Charles had named her regent. He gave her the powers to do as she saw fit in the Spanish realms and that is what she would do. The Crowns of Castile and Aragon needed the money as well, maybe just as much or even more than Charles did. There were schools and hospitals to be built and entire villages to be rebuilt after the infidel Barbarossa had sacked their southern coast.

"Half of the gold will fill our treasuries," Anne murmured, thinking. She thought it would be good to have some of the money for safe-keeping, in case it became needed in the future, "And the other half will be used to rebuild our strengths and fortifications in the southern coast of Granada and Castile."

"Yes, Your Majesty," said Señor Belmonte, who had been attending the meeting as well, though he remained mostly quiet.

Anne observed as the adventurers led the guajolotes away to their deaths as well as the arrival of guards and the royal steward who came to pick up the chests of gold to be used as she had ordered. She took a deep breath, feeling the acidic burn at the back of her throat recede and tried to tell herself to relax.

It was a good day. Or it had been right until the arrival of those who explored the New World. Anne had attended Mass early in the morning and felt a sense of peace inside of her. She visited the nursery afterwards.

Felipe was five now and María, four, with Juanita having just turned two last December. They shrieked their delight at the sight of her and wanted to say all they had done so far, which included prayers, breaking their fast and much playing. Anne had named her mother as their governess and Lady Elizabeth watched over her grandchildren with a devoted gaze, instructing the maids all around her how to best care for them.

Felipe was old enough to be handed over to his tutors and his guardian, but Anne was loath to give him away. Especially to someone she did not trust. Her father clearly expected her to choose him for the position, but Anne knew she ought to appoint a Spaniard with a good position at court that would mould her son into the perfect King of Castile and Aragon.

Were Francesc not too young, being just under eighteen, she would have named him. Francesc was good to her, gentle and pious, with a good head, but he was also Valencian, which did not work in his favour. She twisted her lips as she thought. The man who would be entrusted with her son had to be Castilian, as they were the most powerful and richest of the Iberian people under Charles’ rule. He had not given her a list of men he thought suitable, probably because he did not imagine himself missing his son’s fifth birthday and intended to be present to make the appointment himself.

Anne had very recently received a letter from Rodrigo Díaz de Vivar y Mendoza, whose younger brother had been replaced by Germana de Foix as Viceroy of Valencia. Rodrigo was ill and asked that she take in his two daughters, Mencía and María as her ladies and to arrange good matches for them. The Mendozas were very powerful and the Second Marquess of Mondéjar was a close friend of Charles that remained loyal to him even during the Comuneros’ Revolt, despite his sister and her husband being one of the leaders of the rebellion.

It would not hurt to befriend them. To find good matches for Mencía and María, who were twenty and eighteen. Perhaps even name Luis Hurtado as Felipe’s guardian.

Anne looked at Francesc, who awaited her movements and commands. When he noticed her staring at him, Francesc smiled shyly. “How may I help you, Madam?” he asked, serious.

“Come here, mi señor,” Anne said, beckoning him closer. When Francesc was sufficiently near her, she linked their arms, smiling brightly. “I believe I have found you a wife.”

--

Buda, Kingdom of Hungary. 1st of August, 1528.

It was a warm and sunny day, though not entirely suffocating in heat. Ferdinand had a calm smile on his face as he rode into the city, wearing his full regalia and watching the common people coming out of their homes and shops to observe the royal procession that triumphantly entered the capital of Hungary.

Ján Zápoľský was dead and he, Ferdinand of Austria, was the undisputed King of Hungary, beyond already being the King of Bohemia. The lesser nobility had failed in acquiring a native king, being forced to agree to the terms between Emperor Maximilian and King Vladislaus. Although Ferdinand was grateful for his grandfather’s work resulting in a crown atop his brow, he could not deny his own work in guaranteeing Hungary. He had been the one who refused any sort of reconciliation with Ján, which had Charles doing the same, declaring that he was the only King of the Magyars. Charles’ actions saw ripples across Europe in the form of refusals by most royals, excluding France, who demanded military assistance in the war in return for their acceptance.

But this did not come to pass, even if Ján Zápoľský ever considered accepting Francis’ demands. Ferdinand had funded and incited Slavonic peasants to rebel in the south, which drove away Ján from the capital. He had initially hoped to come to Hungary with an army that could take Buda, but Ján’s death soon after dealing with the rebels from what amounted to drinking tainted water led to his supporters sending letters of acceptance by the hundreds to Prague before he had even prepared his departure from Bohemia. He was amassing his forces when a rider came, sent by Anna, and instead of coming to his new kingdom at the head of an army, he did so before a royal procession.

And this was clear in the face of the people, who waved their hats and bowed before him. It had taken another month to prepare his journey to Hungary. At first, he had told Anna to remain in Bohemia with the children since he hoped to keep them safe from the war and Maximilian was his heir, with baby Ferry after him. Even Liesl and Anke could inherit his dominions and there was no other life more precious than theirs, though maybe Anna was a strong contender, for she was their mother and responsible for their well-bringing.

When they arrived at the Royal Castle, Ferdinand smiled at the sight of Maria standing before the entrance, with the entire royal court behind her. It had been some years since he saw her last, after he arrived in Vienna to marry Anna and before she left for her own marriage. It was their first meeting and rather tense, even though they were siblings. They had never met before, since he grew up in Castile and she, in Flanders and then Vienna and they hadn't exchanged many letters before.

But this time, it was different. Ferdinand felt his face soften at the sight of his sister and he gestured for the procession to stop, quickly dismounting. His surcoat moved about his body and he adjusted his hat carefully as he walked to her, seeing the entire welcoming party dipping into deep curtsies.

"Arise, sister," said Ferdinand when he stepped before Maria. He took her hands in his as she straightened, smiling. "You must never bow to me."

She was wearing black. It was perhaps the first thing he noticed, despite her serious and utterly neutral face. Although her husband had died two years before, and her son even before that, she still seemed to mourn them both deeply. On her chest, Ferdinand noticed a heart-shaped golden locket.

"Brother," she murmured, her voice dripping with neutral indifference, "Welcome to Hungary."