An Imperial Match: Anne Boleyn marries Charles V

25th of October, 1554.
Prinsenhof, Low Countries. 25th of October, 1554.

Felipe approached his aunt as soon as he saw her, bowing his head to a woman of great age and respect. She offered him her hand and he took it, pressing a small kiss to her knuckles as he raised himself to look in her eyes. Catalina of Austria was a tiny and fat woman, with a fleshy neck but kind eyes who looked at him motherly.

“Dearest aunt,” said Felipe, “How is my child? How is my Infanta Luisa?”

His aunt smiled. “Well,” she said. “The damned woman that married my poor son did me the honour of inviting me to the wedding. Luisa looked beautiful and very happy.” Felipe nodded.

“My only hope is that she will enjoy the same love and satisfaction that you and I have enjoyed in our own marriages,” he said. His aunt nodded, clutching a medal in her chest that he imagined held a portrait of her deceased husband. “I hear your grandson Philipp von Wittelsbach has finally married my cousin, Archduchess Barbara.”

“He has,” said the Dowager Duchess of Milan. “I intend to visit them in the Palatine both once my business with your father is done.” She cupped his face. “You look well, my boy. It has been so long since I last saw you.” His aunt married soon after his birth, once the arrival of a male heir secured his father in his Castilian throne. “After my marriage, I thought I’d never see another Habsburg again.”

Felipe smiled, though he said nothing because at that moment, the herald struck his staff against the floor and shouted, “Their Royal Highnesses, Maximilian and Juana of Austria.” He turned and looked at the faces that he had not seen in years. His little sister, miniscule next to her muscled husband, swollen with another pregnancy. His cousin, wearing a large feathered hat and a serious expression on his face.

“What are they doing here?” his aunt asked behind him. “I thought that after the war, surely…”

“Look around, tía,” said Felipe. “All of the estates are represented.” He sighed. “Even Saxony has sent an ambassador. And the Dowager Duchess of Burgundy.” He looked at the man, wearing the Duchess’ colours. She couldn’t bother to come meet with his dying father. Or to allow her son to see his grandfather a final time.

“Surely, you don’t mean to say what I think,” said his aunt. “Charles would never…” He didn’t respond to her. Instead, Felipe walked to greet his sister, who was whispering something in German to her husband. Fernando had already gone to speak with them and his sister embraced their little brother, her eyes closed when he stopped before them.

“Sister,” said Felipe. He looked at Maximilian. “Cousin.”

“Felipe,” Juanita said. “It’s great to see you again.” She didn’t move to embrace him though and Felipe understood that the strains of his father’s actions still hung between them. He sighed, eyes moving down to her large belly and attempted a smile.

“I’m happy to see you, Juana,” he said. “And to see so much of you.”

Juanita smiled, running a hand down her stomach. “Children are a continuous blessing, though I would have liked for Father to have waited for me to give birth before he summoned us here.”

“An emperor doesn’t wait,” said Fernando. “I’m certain that all of our questions will be answered.”

Before Felipe could speak, the herald banged his staff against the floor again, and the sound of trumpets echoed in the room, indicating a royal arrival. Having been standing in the corridor, they entered the great hall, large enough to hold all of the two hundred or so people who were present. Minor lords, members of minor branches of ruling families. He could see even a man with reddish-brown hair sporting the Württemberg coat of arms that could be no one except his cousin, the Duke himself.

His father entered the room from a side entrance, limping heavily on his cane. As he passed, the people bowed deeply for their Emperor and Felipe saw, from the corner of his eye, as his aunt stopped beside him. He was standing before the throne as his father sat down, tired and old, sickly, and he couldn’t stop the racing of his own heart, mind wondering what was happening even though he already knew.

“I’d like to say some things first,” said the Emperor. His trembling hands opened a folded piece of paper and Felipe could see how weak his father was, how tired. “A short time ago, in Castile, my mother died, who, too long ago, gave birth to me between these walls.” He stopped and looked around himself. Charles felt his own heart race as he wondered about the young woman of just twenty who brought him to the world inside a privy. “Her sacrifice allowed me to govern these lands at the age of seventeen. Then, and being still a youngster, I was called upon to rule the Empire of my grandfather, at the same time as I ruled Naples, Sicily and the Spanish kingdoms, as well as the oversea lands.”

The room was entirely silent save for his words, all eyes turned to him. Charles looked at his family. His sister, his son, his daughter and his nephew. The only ones that he trusted to make the journey. Isabel and Catalina belonged to their husbands. Juanita was clutching Maximilian’s arm, her eyes as wide as saucers.

“I sought the imperial crown not in order to rule over a multitude of kingdoms but merely to ensure the welfare and prosperity of the country and my other kingdoms, and to preserve peace and concord in the whole of Christendom.” He hesitated, the weight of so many years giving him fatigue and pain. “To this purpose have I made many arduous journeys and have been compelled to wage many wars, but never wantonly, always very much against my own will. I had great hopes. Only few have been fulfilled and few have remained to me, and at the cost of what travails! This has made me sick and weary. I must for my part confess that I have often misled myself, either from youthful inexperience, from the pride of mature years, or from some other weakness of human nature..” He looked up again. “My life has been one long journey.”

He looked at Felipe. His son. His poor son. He remembered still the day they placed in his arms for the first time, that happy day where he declared that his son would bear the name of his grandfather.

Charles returned his eyes to his papers, continuing to read the speech he prepared. “A journey which has not only consumed this body of mine, but also took me away often from my most beloved companies.” He looked at Felipe. “Of my children.” He looked at Juanita, who had tears running down her cheeks. “Of my wife, to whom I would have liked to give all of my days.”

He looked at Maximilian, the nephew he didn’t know and barely trusted. “I have battled, often obligated, to defend myself from the ambitions of others, and from those whom I thought to be my only enemy, the Turks.” He looked at Catalina, his little sister. The sister he only met when he was seventeen. “And from that punishment-made king that was Francis of France to me.” He thought of Elisabeth, dead from puerperal fever, who would have lived if he hadn’t married her to the French king. The sister who died hating him. “Besides I had to fight against the outbreak of heresy in the very empire I was trusted to protect, and lived to see the Protestants and Catholics brought closer together. But none of these labours have ached as much as what is now to be my final farewell.”

Those present looked at each other, confused and afraid. Charles paused for a moment before he continued, “I no longer have the strength to rule these lands that God has entrusted me with. And the little I have left will soon run out.” He looked down at his paper. “Being so tired now, I cannot do to you any service that those who receive my legacy will do on their own.” He looked up. “To Felipe, my firstborn son, I give the Spanish kingdoms, the Italian lands and the Indies. To my grandson Philippe, as was decided in its day, I bequeath the Low Countries and Burgundy, now converted to the rank of the Kingdom of Burgundy, to rule it as ably as his father would have done.” His heart ached as the image of Juan as he was came to his mind. A happy boy, who was studious and gentle. “And the Empire…” He looked at Juanita and Maximilian. “The Empire will remain in the hands of my brother Ferdinand, whom I wished had come here so I could look in his eyes as I give it to him, were it not for the strains that brotherly relations have over the years.”

Maximilian opened and closed his mouth, knowing that it was not yet the moment to speak.

“I know he will govern it with the same brightness which he has ruled with for the past thirty years, with the happiness of having, in my son, as his most trusted ally,” Charles continued. “Although there are many enemies, the power of that union alone will defeat them, as I know well. I nonetheless declare to you that I never knowingly or willingly acted unjustly. If actions of this kind are nevertheless justly laid to my account, I formally assure you now that I did them unknowingly and against my own intention. I therefore beg those present today, whom I have offended in this respect, together with those who are absent, to forgive me.” He looked up again. “Soon I will leave for Spain and never come back. Stay faithful to God, children, for in my heart, you will all remain safe and sane.”

Juanita burst into tears, clutching her husband’s hand. Fernando placed a hand over his sister’s shoulders, his own cheeks wet with sadness. Charles stood up and the people bowed to him one final time. The man that walked out of the room was limping on a cane, dressed in simple black clothes with white hair and a face covered in wrinkles. He did not look like an emperor, because he wasn’t one.

Not anymore.

Well, this is it. After two years, we finally reached the final chapter of the narrative. Only thing left to do is post the epilogues (four in total).

Charles has had his "Forget this rubbish, I'm out. Bye, Felicia! I'm going to live with my ghostly wife for a bit!" moment.

I like it. :-D

Epilogue I
Charles_de_Groux_-_The_death_of_Charles_V.jpg

Charles of Austria died on 21 September 1557 at the age of fifty-seven. Though he had suffered through years of ill health due to gout and other afflictions, his death came to be because of a bout of malaria at the Monastery of Yuste in Extremadura, where he retired after his abdications. Following his death, there were a plethora of commemorations in his empire, including in Mexico and Peru. Some 30,000 masses were arranged for the soul of the emperor and some 30,000 gold ducats that he had set aside for the ransom of prisoners, poor virgins, and paupers were distributed, but he owed huge debts from his constant warfare far beyond the funds on hand, which his son, Felipe the Rich, mostly paid off in the first decade of his reign.

He was originally buried in the chapel at the Monastery, until his son had him moved to the royal chapel in the Alhambra, as it was Charles’ desire to be buried next to his wife and daughter, Infanta María. At his death, seven of his thirteen children were still alive, five of those born to his marriage to Anne Boleyn. He had thirty-six living grandchildren, two of them illegitimate, and two great-grandchildren. Of his illegitimate children, only one, Margherita di Parma, had living children at the time of his death, a son named Alessandro whom she sent to Spain to be educated by his uncle, King Felipe II.

Emperor Charles V of the Holy Roman Empire (February 1500-) m. Anne Boleyn (1503-May 1536)

1. Felipe, Prince of Asturias (April 1523-) m. Infanta Joana of Portugal (1520-);
    1. Ana de Austria (February 1538 -) b. Philippe d'Autriche, Duke of Burgundy (December 1543-);
    2. Luisa de Austria (January 1540-) M. Paolo Sforza (March 1538- );
      1. Francesco Sforza (May 1557-)
    3. Fernanda de Austria (March 1541-) b. Ferdinánd von Österreich (June 1544-);
    4. Carlos de Austria (June 1543-) b. Isabella Tudor (June 1544-);
    5. Elena de Austria (August 1545-).
  2. María of Austria (April 1524-March 1542) m. Afonso, Prince of Portugal (August 1522-);
    1. Jorge de Portugal (April 1540-) m. Anna von Kleve (1540-)
      1. Afonso de Portugal (January 1557-)
    2. António de Portugal (March 1542-) b. Johanna of Bavaria (February 1545-)
  3. Juan, Duke of Burgundy (January 1526-May 1552) m. Elizabeth of England (June 1527-);
    1. Philippe d'Autriche, Count of Charolais (December 1543-);
    2. Jean d'Autriche (January 1545-) b. Isabella d'Este ;
    3. Anne Élisabeth d'Autriche (November 1545-) b. Wilhelm von Wittelsbach (1543-);
    4. Marie d'Autriche (January 1547-) b. François de Lorraine (January 1547-);
    5. Marguerite d'Autriche (April 1548-April 1548);
    6. Henri d'Autriche (April 1549-) b. Maria Elisabeth von Wettin (January 1553-);
    7. Christine d'Autriche (April 1550-) b. Filips Willem van Oranje (November 1552-);
    8. Charles d'Autriche (August 1551-). Entrusted to a monastery;
  4. Juana of Austria (December 1526-) m. Maximilian of Austria (July 1526-);
    1. Ferdinánd von Österreich (June 1544-);
    2. Anna von Österreich (January 1546-) b. Karl of Austria (June 1540-);
    3. Mária von Österreich (October 1547-) A novice in a convent.;
    4. Tamás von Österreich (September 1548 -) b. Margaret Stewart (June 1549-);
    5. Erzsébet von Österreich (January 1550-) b. Johann Georg von Wettin (May 1548- );
    6. Matyas von Österreich (February 1551-). Twin to Lajos.
    7. Lajos von Österreich (February 1551-). Twin to Matyas;
    8. Margit von Österreich (August 1553-). A novice in a convent;
    9. Eleonóra von Österreich (January 1555-September 1555). Died a sickly infant;
    10. Károly von Österreich (September 1556-)
  5. Margarita of Austria (March 1529-April 1552) m. Emmanuel Philibert (July 1528 -);
    1. Carl dë Savian (March 1546-) b. Claude de Orléans (August 1545-);
    2. Emanuel dë Savian (July 1548- );
    3. Ana Beatris dë Savian (May 1551-).
  6. Catalina of Austria (November 1531-) m. Afonso V of Portugal (August 1522-);
    1. Ana Leonor de Portugal (February 1547-) b. Andrew, Duke of Rothesay (November 1547-)
    2. Maria de Portugal (September 1548 -);
    3. Diogo de Portugal (October 1549-);
    4. Paulo de Portugal (January 1551-August 1554). Died of the flu;
    5. Teresa de Portugal (January 1554-August 1554). Died of the flu;
    6. Pedro de Portugal (July 1555-);
    7. Catarina de Portugal (September 1556-February 1557). Died a sickly infant;
  7. Cardinal Fernando of Austria (August 1533-);
    1. Juana de Austria (October 1550-). Illegitimate.
    2. Carlota de Austria (January 1553-). Illegitimate.
    3. Unnamed daughter. Lived for only a few hours.
  8. Eduardo of Austria (July 1534-November 1545);
  9. Isabel of Austria (May 1536-) b. Francoys, Dauphin of France (June 1534-);
    1. Louis-Charles, Count of Montfort (May 1552-)
    2. Anne de Valois (April 1554-)
    3. Marie Louise de Valois (June 1556-)
At the time of his father’s death, Felipe II already ruled the Spanish dominions for nigh on three years. Considered one of the greatest monarchs Spain ever had, he ruled for nearly forty years, dying in June of 1593 at the age of seventy. The king initiated the Spanish Golden Age (1560-1640), reformed the tributary system and finished the conquest of the Inca Empire, started during the reign of his father. He was especially keen on fixing the mistakes of his predecessors, such as working to end the Inquisition and bring the Jewish people back to Iberia, although he encountered many difficulties in that end. The king’s religious tolerance was attributed to his mother, who was known to have Protestant leanings and his granddaughter Maria’s marriage to the Lutheran King of Denmark, Christian III Augustus was considered to be his final achievement.

However, his life-long dream of formally uniting the Spanish kingdoms was only achieved fifty years after his death, by his grandson Philip III. By his death, however, the population in Castile had doubled, and Aragon enjoyed a period of great prosperity. Addled by age and illness, Felipe died in the arms of his son, Carlos, who became Charles II of Spain upon his death. Since then, the kings of Spain have alternated the names of Philip and Charles through each generation, ending in the current king, Philip VIII (1997-).

Although this tradition might have come to an end with the death of the Prince of Asturias, Carlos, who died in a car accident in 2013. His younger brother, Fernando, is now first in line to the throne, though he doesn’t use the title Prince of Asturias in respect to his brother.

a1d0c80a2c77a437af4ddcbb8ec507e7aa2d886b.jpg

King Philip VIII and Queen Maddalena

King Felipe II was buried at El Escorial, the first monarch to be buried at the now-traditional Monastery. A year after his death, his son Charles II had his mother’s coffin, who predeceased her husband by five years, moved to lay next to Felipe. He often honoured his parents, and held yearly masses for their souls.

He was, however, a poor king when compared to his father, save for the fact that he continued many of his father’s programs. His war with France (1612-1615) was ruinous and ended with the marriage of his grandson, Carlos (1585), with Nicole de Lorraine, as a French proxy after this death as the king had died of a stroke after hearing about the Aragonese Invasion (1614). The reign of his son was much more successful and brought twenty years of peace to the Spanish empire.

800px-Villandrando_Isabel_de_Borb%C3%B3n_Lienzo._201_x_115_cm._Museo_del_Prado.jpg

Nicole de Lorraine, Queen of Spain.

King Philip II, much like his successors, remained loyal to the Habsburg family, and often assisted his nephew, King Philip I of Burgundy, in his military disappointments. Two of his daughters married their cousins, Anne and Ferdinanda, and he was known to cherish his grandchildren through them, often sending letters and presents through his ambassadors. The three courts remained allied throughout the centuries-long Habsburg, a triarchy that was only broken when a branch of the Wittelsbachs came to rule Burgundy in the XVIII century. Even then, the Austrian and Spanish branches of the family continued to be friendly up until the War of Dukes (1894) ended the Austrian monarchy.

Many marriages were arranged, though, following the demands by King Charles II, brides for Princes of Asturias were carefully selected to lessen the effects of inbreeding, common in the royal houses of Europe. The Spanish throne is currently held by King Philip VIII of the House of Galicia-Habsburg-Cantabria, a male-line branch of the Habsburg dynasty. He is a direct descendant of King Philip II through three of his children, as the lineage of Infanta Ana died upon her granddaughter’s death in childbirth in 1617, and Infanta Elena never had children herself. All of the other European monarchs, as of 2023, are his descendants as well.

3962_118588652700.jpg

Grave of King Philip II.

I'm glad Philip's efforts to improve Spain worked and he's known as Philip the Rich. Very interesting to see the modern day stuff. I look forward to the other epilogues.

Epilogue II
image.jpg

King John and Queen Katherine in the tv show The Tudors.

The death of his son Alfred, Duke of York broke King John II. He was never the same after the youth died due to tuberculosis, being a more miserly and rigid king in the later years of his reign. He and the Queen become more recluse, less willing to host masques and balls. Not even the birth of Princess Margaret in 1555 helped to lift up their spirits, and she was their last child.

The King’s mood was temporarily better during the wedding of his son, William (later William III), to Mary of Scotland in 1558. The pair were well-matched and fond of each other since childhood and would have a happy marriage for the most part, save for their disagreements in the matter of religion. William leaned more towards Protestantism and began the process that would become the English reformation, while Queen Mary was a strong Catholic as befitted her upbringing. But after the wedding celebrations were finished, John returned to his sullen and miserly ways.

Thankfully, with the exception of Mary and George, all of his surviving children had happy marriages. Despite her many attempts, Mary failed to make her husband Charles Boleyn (1548-1599) fall in love with her, and he continued to prefer the company of his male lovers to her, using his wife for breeding purposes only. And save for Mary (who became Duchess of Württemberg) and Philippa (who became Duchess of Parma), all of his daughters became queens of different European countries (Poland, Spain and Sweden). George, as a bishop never married, and Margaret Tudor tragically died at the age of twelve, while her father was in the midst of negotiating her marriage to Afonso de Avis, heir to Portugal.

Young Katherine Tudor, named for her mother, was famous for her beauty and had a positive relationship with her husband, Stanisław I. Although he was well-known for his mercurial temperament, the young king had a considerable soft spot for his wife and she had a calming influence on him, helping him stop with his affairs and excessive drinking.

They had thirteen children together, of whom eight survived past childhood, and Queen Katarzyna often said: “I hope the Lord doesn’t take me first, for I fear for the Polish people during my husband’s grief.” Sadly, her prediction would come true after she miscarried what was to be their fourteenth child and the ensuing infection took her at the age of thirty-nine, to the great grief of her husband. The mourning king had twenty of her servants executed and the following four years until his own death were dubbed mroczne lata, or the dark years. The King was succeeded by their son, Władysław, who undid many of his father’s actions and pardoned around three thousand prisoners in the first year of his reign.

King John’s fifth daughter, Jocasta, married Karl Gustavsson, who became King of Sweden after the death of his father in 1573, at the age of twenty. She became a queen immediately upon her marriage in the same year and was crowned six months later, already four months pregnant with what was to be the fourth Swedish Vasa monarch, named John after her father.

Although she was a Catholic and he was Lutheran, Jocasta and Karl IX enjoyed a friendly and happy relationship. The King never acknowledged any affair during their thirty-year-long marriage, though a woman from Uppsala named Ebba Gustavsdotter claimed to be his illegitimate child after his death. They had eight children together and when Karl died in 1603, Jocasta claimed that all other men were dead for her. She wore black for the rest of her life.

Catherine_of_Sweden_%281562%29_effigy_2007_wide.jpg

Tomb of Jocasta Tudor, Queen of Sweden.

Even though the marriages of his children gave the King much to rejoice, he would never forget Alfred and Margaret. He died in 1578 at the age of fifty-five, holding onto a shirt of Alfred, still stained with the boy’s blood, now brown with age. His heartbroken wife followed him two years later and they were buried at Westminster Abbey. King William III was crowned with his wife and their fifteen-year-old son, also named William, carried his father’s train during the ceremony.

It was during his reign that the young playwrights, Kit Marlowe, and William Shakespeare, gained prominence. William was fond of plays and often hired both men and others to write plays that represented the royal family in a good light for the commons. Famously, the play Maria Regina (1594) by William Shakespeare was funded in an attempt to cheer up Queen Mary after the death of her granddaughter-in-law, Princess Elizabeth, in childbirth, and was a religious play, much different than Shakespeare’s usual work (This author will not discuss the idea that King William himself wrote the play and paid for Shakespeare to assume it himself. Such a theory is ludicrous).

William III failed, however, in cheering up the Queen after the loss of Elizabeth of Denmark, and her son, and the Queen sadly died not too long after. Depressed, the ageing king retired after handing the reins of government to his son and died, heartbroken, in 1611, at the age of seventy.

f823f43402c4333fc2ce71467212f6c1.jpg

Queen Mary after Princess Elizabeth's death.

The Tudor dynasty oversaw the expansion of English interests abroad in the New World, with the small provinces in the Americas forming the collective “New England'' amidst the larger colonies of France, Scotland, Spain and Portugal. The union of Scotland and England under a single monarch also came about under the authority of John II’s great-great-grandson, Edward VI, whose marriage to Elizabeth Stewart allowed their son William to be crowned King of England and Scotland upon the deaths of both his father and childless uncle, James IX.

fbca30cc-4014-4266-8508-33657ef666e9.Jpeg

Henrietta Tudor, Duchess of Norfolk.

However, the Tudor dynasty only held both crowns for another generation, with William’s sons predeceasing him and the unified crown of England and Scotland falling to George Howard, the Duke of Norfolk, whose close connection to the royal House of Tudor allowed him a blood claim to Scotland as well due to royal intermingling between the two crowns. His mother, Henrietta, was King Edward’s youngest child with Elizabeth of Scotland and famously married for love to the Duke of Norfolk, Charles Howard. King George I (1720-1789) as he would be known by history, succeeded to both thrones after his victory in the War of Scottish Succession (1743-1749) against his Catholic cousin, Albert VII of Bavaria. This was the first time since the Yorkists came to power that an English duke became ruler of England.

The 2023 referendum on Scottish independence, however, seems to breed trouble for young King William V, who inherited the throne in 2020 at the age of twenty-three after his father’s brief seven-day reign. The COVID-19 pandemic shook the United Kingdom to its core as it managed to kill both George III and George IV along with their respective wives in quick succession, leaving William the sole heir of the main Howard line. Descended from King John II through his son William and two of his daughters, only time will tell what this young man’s reign will be remembered as.

MV5BYTcwYTI0MzMtN2U3ZS00NmIxLWIxMzEtMDY0ZTNhZjM5NDY1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjk3NTUyOTc@._V1_.jpg

King William V of the United Kingdom